Category Help

Telly_Carelli

Virgin
I have a story I don’t know which category to put it in.

Essentially it’s going to have some elements of inside happening very infrequently but mostly about other couplings.

Since it is going to have rare elements of incest will my story only be accepted in that category?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Your comment implies that it is a work in progress. You shouldn't have to worry about the right category until the story is finished.

Well it seems like if incest is happens in another category it wouldn’t be acceptable.

The general rule is that incest trumps everything else. There are exceptions, and sometimes an author's note warning readers ahead of time will cover you.
It's generally not something that you should surprise readers with in another category.

If the incest is going to be rare, you could eliminate it and perhaps find a category it fits better in?

It depends. I don't think incest necessarily trumps everything, I have put lesbian twincest in the non-human category with no negative response.

If incest is the main event, great, I think readers there are all about the relationship and the build up to the big taboo relationship.

Well it seems like if incest is happens in another category it wouldn’t be acceptable.
I'll second @Winter_Fare and say that incest doesn't necessarily turn away many readers in certain other categories. Mind control and non-human are obvious fantasy zones, and readers there seem inclined to accept a lot of things in service of their principal interests in seeking out that content. Some amount of incest would probably be fine in fetish, non-consent/reluctance, or erotic horror, maybe even in sci-fi/fantasy. The incest/taboo category, to me, seems to be principally for people who think or wish it was a non-controversial issue, or else people who get off on the idea of it being controversial and happening anyway. Consequently, they'll want it to be a major point of the story, so if all you've got in your story are 'rare elements' of it, they might not feel it belongs and complain accordingly.

Not true.

I have several stories where incest is a sub-theme, and they're in other categories. They have an Editor's Note at the top, "This story contains incest themes." No-one has ever commented about it.

The general rule is that incest trumps everything else. There are exceptions, and sometimes an author's note warning readers ahead of time will cover you.
It's generally not something that you should surprise readers with in another category.
I think you'll find other categories are more accepting of incest as a sub-theme than the other way around. It seems to me that the dedicated I&T readers are far noisier about, "Don't bring your kink here," than other category readers. I'm not sure they fully understand irony, personally.

I have featured characters based on Celebrities and Fanfic characters engaging in Incest and used the Fanfic category. I have also featured foster twins and put their stories in Incest (when using their pov) and Group Sex (pov of a character who doesn’t consider foster siblings as incest). A lot depends on character point of view.

If it's one story, you need to put it in incest. If you're going to do it in chapters and there's no incest in some chapters you can post them elsewhere as you're allowed to put installments of a series in different categories depending on content.

Back