Blurt Thread III - Emporium of Unexpected Exclamations & Revelations

We'll have to hide out this horribly hot weekend. Sweating lowlanders will clog our remote mountain byways seeking coolth. Won't be safe out there. Luckily, the cousins' swimming pool is near, by a back road uninfected with city folk. I anticipate flotation.

Hey, what ever happened to the First World Problems thread? Mine is deciding which USB charger to use with the old extra Android tablet.

And so ends the yearly cycle of me growing tomatoes. The plants have a fungal infection (according to the interwebs) and at this point, need to be put down.

Guess I’m going to have to cozy up to the local Amish to score some good tomatoes. *sigh*

"There's a tornado watch tonight, but it won't affect us at all because it's too far away."

Ummm... thanks, weather man?

When are you coming for a visit, Em? I bet we can get Minxy to join us for a night of carousing and general tomfoolery!

Nothing planned for any time soon, unfortunately.

There have been some interesting trips there...
I remember talk of back-to-back roller skate brunches and almost ‘accidentally’ re-routing my return flight to include a stopover in Oceania.

And scotch. Chicago always seems to bring some single-malt and I together famously.

Then there was that night of drunk posting on Lit. That was during one of my Chicago jaunts.

Cleveland also put me near Minx country once, and I think I even had the rental aimed at PA, but something came up.

Yeah, and then you can jam your selfies up your arse. 😂

I wish I still had that photo.

Yeah, that was one crazy night of drunk-posting...

I think I went through Chicago and Cleveland once, on my way from San Francisco to Boston. That would have been around June 1968, yeah, before the convo riot. Many changes since then?

God damn talented kid on America’s Got Talent turning me into a weepy-eyed bastard, tarnishing my cold as a rattlesnake image.

What the hell is up with that?

When are you coming for a visit, Em? I bet we can get Minxy to join us for a night of carousing and general tomfoolery!
I’m always up for shenanigans.

Yeah, and then you can jam your selfies up your arse. 😂

I wish I still had that photo.
Selfies hell. You’re either being Skyped or coming along.

Nothing planned for any time soon, unfortunately.

There have been some interesting trips there...
I remember talk of back-to-back roller skate brunches and almost ‘accidentally’ re-routing my return flight to include a stopover in Oceania.

And scotch. Chicago always seems to bring some single-malt and I together famously.

Then there was that night of drunk posting on Lit. That was during one of my Chicago jaunts.

Cleveland also put me near Minx country once, and I think I even had the rental aimed at PA, but something came up.

Yeah, that was one crazy night of drunk-posting...
*raises eyebrow *

God damn talented kid on America’s Got Talent turning me into a weepy-eyed bastard, tarnishing my cold as a rattlesnake image.

What the hell is up with that?

Cold as a rattlesnake what now? 🤣

Who even are you anymore?

I just don’t know.

I slipped out of work early a couple weeks ago, to watch my daughter’s choir performance. They were singing a dozen or so numbers for the residents, at a senior’s assisted living facility.

It was a glorious, sunny day, and the assembled children’s voices were hopeful and angelic, flowing sweetly out from the gazebo the kids were crowded into, out to the gathered audience and all corners of the garden.

There I was, the proud and beaming father, smiling and humming along to songs now familiar, when six or seven songs in I am overcome, as if by a wave, with feels. A wee twister of emotions swell and gather strength inside my chest, tears well up and tip out of the corners of my eyes, and I know that if I turn and go to say something to my wife, my voice will crack, and that will bust open the dam inside.

Last week the Boy and I are hanging out and working on a bike he and I are building. I’m kinda just hangin’ back, watching him work out what size combo wrench he’ll need to tighten the seat post, when I am once more visited by this attack of the feels. My heart feels fit to burst, and I just want to scoop the lad up and kiss him and hug him and tell him he is loved.
He looks up from what he is doing and, seeing my goofy face, asks ‘What? What’s so funny?’
‘Nothing.’ I tell him.
‘Then why are you smiling like that?’ he asks.
‘I don’t know.’ I say, cause I don’t.

I think I’m losing my badass edge.

Don’t fret your longness. I’m sure it’s all a ruse.

Ruse?

I’m supposed to be cold as a fish, mean as a rattlesnake, heartless as a bullet.

What the hell is happening to me?

Are you getting enough sleep?

Interesting question.
According to my doctor and in full agreement with the doc, my wife, no.

I’ve never needed much sleep. Although recently, I have developed an appreciation for an occasional nap. Every couple of weeks or so, if the conditions are just right, a quick drift-off for about 30 minutes or so. Wee power naps.

Are you getting enough sex?

That is one of those arbitrary and impossible questions, like ‘how long is a piece of rope?’ or ‘how big is it?’.

I just don’t know.

If you started to cry 'cos the neighbour's dog pooped on your lawn then it would be time to worry.

There is nothing wrong in feeling those emotions for the reasons you gave and to be honest it is important for your children to witness that from time to time.

The world around us has increasingly become a drain on emotions in recent times, but on the flip side we can be touched by the beauty the world still has to offer on a deeper level or indeed higher level. Our senses are being pushed into overdrive.

A tear or two is a small price to pay for the elation of love - enjoy it you ol' softy.

Ha - it may have been witnessed a battle with empathy over the last year or two here but your empathic side has always shone through in the How To...

Stop fussing and enjoy the ride - and it just maybe a reminder for you to guide your children into appreciating the joys and wonders of life and love even more, especially when there is so much going on in the world attempting to stifle that.

Last edited:
I just don’t know.

I slipped out of work early a couple weeks ago, to watch my daughter’s choir performance. There I was, the proud and beaming father, smiling and humming along to songs now familiar, when six or seven songs in I am overcome, as if by a wave, with feels.

Last week the Boy and I are hanging out and working on a bike he and I are building. I’m kinda just hangin’ back, watching him work out what size combo wrench he’ll need to tighten the seat post, when I am once more visited by this attack of the feels.

That's just badass fatherhood done right. I have the same feels with mine.

I just don’t know.

I slipped out of work early a couple weeks ago, to watch my daughter’s choir performance. They were singing a dozen or so numbers for the residents, at a senior’s assisted living facility.

It was a glorious, sunny day, and the assembled children’s voices were hopeful and angelic, flowing sweetly out from the gazebo the kids were crowded into, out to the gathered audience and all corners of the garden.

There I was, the proud and beaming father, smiling and humming along to songs now familiar, when six or seven songs in I am overcome, as if by a wave, with feels. A wee twister of emotions swell and gather strength inside my chest, tears well up and tip out of the corners of my eyes, and I know that if I turn and go to say something to my wife, my voice will crack, and that will bust open the dam inside.

Last week the Boy and I are hanging out and working on a bike he and I are building. I’m kinda just hangin’ back, watching him work out what size combo wrench he’ll need to tighten the seat post, when I am once more visited by this attack of the feels. My heart feels fit to burst, and I just want to scoop the lad up and kiss him and hug him and tell him he is loved.
He looks up from what he is doing and, seeing my goofy face, asks ‘What? What’s so funny?’
‘Nothing.’ I tell him.
‘Then why are you smiling like that?’ he asks.
‘I don’t know.’ I say, cause I don’t.

Ruse?

I’m supposed to be cold as a fish, mean as a rattlesnake, heartless as a bullet.

Too much hockey? You are getting all that agression out in a controlled setting. Will make a total pussy cat out of you.

Funky to the right, funky to the left, funky to the East, funky to the West.

Funky up above, funky down below, funky on the couch, funky on the floor.

Ra ra ra, when all is said and done,
We're not the first to be here. There's nothing new underneath the sun.

Back