Against All Odds (closed for silvertongue217)

"My hearing is pretty good you know," Emily laughed, wondering whether he intended for her to hear the keeper comment or not. She moved her chair closer anyway, biting her lip apologetically as she reached for him. His face was warm beneath her touch, his skin youthful. He had a strong jaw, and cheekbones that made her swoon. She dared a bit further, a finger tip brushing his lip as her own breath hitched. She pulled her hands away though, not taking nearly as long as she would like with him.

"I was physically attracted to you before anyway," She said with a wink, "You smell clean, fresh.... untainted by this city. And it was nice- the way you held my hand earlier without a second thought..."

"Well your by far the prettiest girl I have seen" Clark murmured moaning a little as she touched his face. There was some thing..... some thing deeply sensual about it. He was trying not to react to it to much but he felt his pulse quickening and even though he couldnt smell it his skin began to give off the musky scent of arousal.

"Why wouldnt I have held your hand?" He asked his voice carrying the tint of arousal "you wouldnt be able to keep me away....."

The way his voice thickened, how his pulse raced. Emily's own breath quickened and she realised that things had gotten very heated for that time of day.

"Oh, you'd be suprised by what I can do," Emily said in a joking tone with a wink. She cleared her throat and took up her wrap again.

"So, Clark, have you got a busy afternoon?"

"Nothing but time for you darling" Clark said automatically before wincing

"I mean I can hang" Clark said trying to sound cool before snorting "I dont do cool well sorry" Clark said smiling.

Emily giggled, enjoying Clark beyond measure.

"No, you're cool," she assured him with a grin. "I, unfortunately, have a lecture this afternoon." She finished her wrap and her fingers went to her watch. She groaned at the time. "Which I will most likely be late to," she sighed, pushing her plate forward and finishing her coffee. She made a small gesture with her hand and George came over with the bill, handing it to her.

"you crazy if you think your paying that" Clark said taking it from her and shaking her head.

"Man always ALWAYS pays for the date" Clark told her digging the money out of his pocket and standing up "call me sexist but I prefer old fashion"

He handed it back to him and smiled gently taking her hand "can I walk you to class?" Clark asked looking at the two of them and raising an eyebrow.

Emily had been about to argue about the bill, but his voice was set.

"Right," she said, "Well, you got this so I will get the next one. And we can call it a meeting if you will get uncomfortable about me paying for a date." She said, reaching down and giving Nyx's back a gentle rub. "Sorry to wake you, girl." She said. Nyx didn't seem to mind though, she got up to her feet, ready and rearing for her next job.

"I think I would very much like that," Emily said with a grin, slinging her bag over her shoulder as she got to her feet. She waited for Clark to get ready before moving.

"Thanks George!" She called out over her shoulder as they left the cafe.

"You must think your insane if you think your ever going to have to pay for a meal on one of our DATES" Clark said helping her and threading their arms together as they made their way back to the campus.

"My father would tan my hide and so would my mother" Clark said pausing to drop a few coins into a homeless mans tin before he continued moving.

"So can we do this again" Clark asked looking over at her hesitantly "I would really love it if we did nothing would make me happier"

"Well we will just have to see about that," Emily said, hearing the coins drop and smiling. "And I've been called a lot of things before, but crazy is new. Though I imagine your hide is pretty tan already?"

Nyx led them around the corner back into the campus and Emily knew they still had another few minutes of walking before they would have to part.

"I think I would like to do it again too. I will make sure I don't have a class to rush off to though. Perhaps I can show you some of the sights around our city. There are some wonderful places here if you know where to find them."

"I would like that really I would" Clark said as they entered the campus. He turned his body chemistry screaming that he wanted to kiss her as he awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Text me when your done with class?" Clark asked his tone hopeful as he reached down to pet Nyx.

"You have my number after all" Clark reminded her taking her hand and kissing her knuckles.

Emily almost gave up on her lecture altogether when Clark grazed her knuckles with his lips. It took her a good few moments to catch her breath again, to push past the sound of his heart, the rapid rate of his breathing, the pheremones screaming off him.

"Yes," she breathed, in that moment knowing she would agree with anything he said. "Yes- I'll let you know for sure."

Good" He said his voice thick with his own arousal as he took a deep gulp.

"I should let you go" He said his voice very very strongly suggesting that was NOT what he wanted. He turned making sure to give her one last look before he began to jog back to his dorm.

Five minutes later she would hear the YES!! Of happiness he shouted clear across campus as he pumped his fist in the air.

Emily was almost to class when she heard it. Punching through the constant drone of noise, the cacophony of voices, the whooping of sirens and the rumbling of planes in the sky. A single 'yes' crowed into the air, triumphant and full of joy. It made her stop in her tracks, a foolish grin tugging at her lips. Odd, that she had become attuned to his voice so easily.

Nyx tugged slightly at her harness and Emily continued on. When she got to class her lecture was drowned out by the whoosh of happiness in her veins. Emily texted Clark the moment she got out of class. Actually several moments before if she was honest with herself. They met up again and spent time walking through campus together. She pointed out the places he would need to know, and they chatted and got to know each other better until Emily's grandmother called and said that she needed to come home. Their parting was reluctant, and Emily was flustered by it. They hadn't kissed, but they nearly had. It was so close, but she wanted to take her time with it; not kissing him before dashing home to her Nan.

~*~

That evening Nemesis prowled the roof tops with a spring in her usually smooth step. She cast her senses out, trying to find trouble worth her time. With the arrest of the goons the previous night, it seemed the more serious troublemakers were being quiet. Unusually so. She had broken up a mugging or two, but nothing that met her usual level of strife.

Then, she sensed him. There was that odd gait, the quickening of breath. She heard his feet hitting the concrete in what he assumed was a subtle and inconspicuous manner. Then he stopped. Right in front of the darkened window of Tiffany's. Nemesis rolled her eyes and dropped down into the night, landing beside the tall gangly fellow and dragging him into a nearby alley.

"Really, Bling? You're gonna go in the front door?" Nemesis teased, letting go of his starched collar and crossing her arms over her chest. "You should know better than that!"

"How in the blazes do you do that?!" Bling growled turning and shaking his head as he looked at her.

"Hey Nemesis" He said sighing and looking at her crossing his arms. He was as always wearing the two bit Zoro outfit that he had fashioned some bling on to look slighty original. The sword that he used that wasnt even a real sword hung at his side as he looked at her.

"I got a good tip it was unlocked" He defended his platinum tooth shining in the light. He turned reaching to try it.

It was locked

"Shit" Bling said shaking his head "kids these days no respect for the old days"

He took out a cigar lighting it "cant arrest me if I never broke in" He reminded her.

"I'm just that good," Nemesis replies, unable to stop her laughter as he tries to open the door and fails. She scrunches her nose at the overwhelming stench of his cigar. "And since when do I ever arrest you Bling?" She asked, fake hurt in her voice. "I only ever drop you off in front of the cop station. And only when you've been bad."

Nemesis stood back, out of the cloud of smoke, and then tipped her head, watching with interest as the cloud spread around him, making him stand out even more to her. She could see a frustrated tic in his jaw, and hear the relief in his breath as he filled his lungs with that poison.

"You're off your game tonight," Nemesis said to him, leaning against the nearby wall, "And that is hard considering you barely have a game to be off."

"The missus and I are fighting" Bling grumbled taking another long drag.

"Back in my day" he said working up one of his usual rants "these kids respected their elders you know I ran the new York west side mob for fifteen years?!"

He had in fact told her that several times over

*now ya got all these kids tearing each other apart" bling sighed shaking his head "the good old days are a thing of the past!"

"I think there is a reason for that Bling," Nemesis sighed, waiting for him to finish his cigar. "Though if you still had your old name you'd probably get people to take you a bit more serious. What sort of name is Bling for a retired mob boss?" She asked.

Nemesis flicked a bug off her shoulder and turned her face to him, playing every part the sighted person.

"Is it hard to make a relationship work? With your night activities being what they are?" She asked, her thoughts going back to her wonderful afternoon with Clark.

He turned to her raising an eyebrow in surprise at her question.

"You never ask that" he said peerinng at her with new curiosity. Several seconds passed before he laughed.

"You have met some one!" He said laughing and shaking his head at her "its clear as day!"

He bent over chuckling "nemesis whatever the hell your name is here's all you need to know about love no matter what the shit if its meant to be it'll be worth every minute and shake itself out"

Nemesis cursed herself for being so transparent, but was glad for the advice anyway. Hell Cat was one thing, but Nemesis wondered if that woman ever took anything other than crime fighting seriously. Bling though, he and his wife had been together for decades (he had told her so himself on many occassions) and they even had kids together. Surely he knew something of it.

"Well then, you and the wife will be just fine!" Nemisis said, putting as much bravado into her voice as she could muster. She straightened up. "So, is it the roof tops or the alleys? I am not quitting for the night until I know you are headed home and not making any more trouble."

It was always like this with Bling. He was a good guy, Nemesis thought, even though he had a penchant for theft. He was no longer involved with the mob, long ago deciding it was too convoluted for him. So Nemesis knew he was not a real threat, not really. And she had a bit of a soft spot for him. An old fellow trying to see if he still had it. She could respect that. She wondered if it would even be her one day.

He shook his head snorting "go home nemesis I'll be fine"

He straightened up and even adjusted his cape. He was always like that always intent on making sure what he did he looked good and showed the best of himself. Once he was sure he could move he started walking home smiling when she followed.

"So is this new guy nice? Do I need to tail! Him I still know some guys you know"he said looking over at her.

And yes he had said that multiple times as well

"Why are you so sure it is a guy, even if there is one?" Nemesis said with a quirk of her hip as her eyebrow jumped up. "And no, I don't need your help. Thanks, though." She said. She turned, making her way down the alley. "Come with me to Fourth at least. Surely you wouldn't leave a girl all alone in this part of town?"

"The girl that can kick most peoples ass?" He said snorting but still nmoddin at her to follow.

"Its a guy I seen you and hell cat together she's more interested than you!" He said shaking his head and going down too fourth with her "is he nice?"

Nemesis didn't bother arguing.

"He seems to be," she said with a shrug as they ducked through the back streets. "I didn't know they existed Bling. He is good, too good to be true, I think..."

"Yeah were a dime a dozen" he said chuckling as they reached their stop

"My advice then you hold on tight and don't let go" he told her patting her shoulder

"Night darling"

"Stay out of trouble Bling!" Nemesis warned by way of farewell before she raced off into the shimmering night.

~*~

Emily woke late the next day after her long but uneventful night. Bling's words raced through her head and she groaned, hiding under her blankets ans wondering at the mess she had gotten herself into. The wonderfully intoxicating and promising mess.

Back