A Song for Everything

What, I can't use Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night?"
I believe that was the name of the album only, there's no song title or lyric using that phrase.

Did I tell you that the concert that was released as Hot August Night was my very first rock show? My parents took us to see Neil Diamond at the Greek Theatre in Nineteen Seventy-whatever. I was young and impressionable and not anything like the rebellious punk I became later. So of course that show was totally awesome, a massive schmaltz-fest but with loud rock and roll. Of course we bought the album when it came out and played it on repeat. I can probably sing every lyric on it.

Did I also tell you that I have the same story for Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty." By then I was a little older and my older sister took me to see Jackson at the Universal Amphitheatre. We saw everything, including David Lindley singing falsetto on "Stay." When the album came out we rushed to read the liner notes and saw that some of the music on it was from our show. Other shows on the tour made it onto the album, as well as remote recording on the tour bus. It was a concept album of life on the road, and it glorified the debauched rock and roll life, so I thought it was totally cool and I couldn't wait to try some cocaine and be cool like Jackson Browne and David Lindley.

As a spoiled rotten kid growing up in LA in the 70s I just figured that every show I went to would be released as a record.

And did I further tell you that the opening act for that Jackson Browne show was his backing band. They called themselves The Section. These guys were studio hotshots who had played on the albums of all the LA soft rockers of the time - JB, JT, Carole King, Ronstadt, Zevon, etc. Go watch youtube of James Taylor on SNL in the 70s, his band is The Section. They had made their own album, which I immediately bought the day after the JB show. Fast forward to today, the guys in The Section are now called The Immediate Family, there's a documentary film about them (think Wrecking Crew for the next generation.) They played the film locally at a film festival, had a meet and greet after, and I got to meet Leland Sklar and Russ Kunkel, got their autographs on the album cover I've had since the 70s, and the pic of me and Lee Sklar is currently my social media profile pic. (Except here on Lit, where it's a pic of Bruce and a Tele because I love @BrendaD.)

Deep Breath.
The prompt is Stockings.

I believe that was the name of the album only, there's no song title or lyric using that phrase.

Did I tell you that the concert that was released as Hot August Night was my very first rock show? My parents took us to see Neil Diamond at the Greek Theatre in Nineteen Seventy-whatever. I was young and impressionable and not anything like the rebellious punk I became later. So of course that show was totally awesome, a massive schmaltz-fest but with loud rock and roll. Of course we bought the album when it came out and played it on repeat. I can probably sing every lyric on it.it.
I realize that's the name of the album, but one song on that album, "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" begins with the lyrics, "Hot August Night," as I'm sure you know. 😁 Wait, you said there is "no song title or lyric using that phrase." So, you probably can't "sing every lyric" on the album. You stand corrected, and apology accepted. 😂

Here is a 2008 performance where he talks about the "Hot August Night" concert.

Stockings is still the clue

Last edited:
I realize that's the name of the album, but one song on that album, "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" begins with the lyrics, "Hot August Night," as I'm sure you know. 😁
Oh yeah, I still remember every lyric on that album. Didn’t I just claim that? There may be a minuscule outside chance that I forgot just that one. 😀😀😀

Back