A rotund marital decision

Is it ok to divorce your wife for letting herself go?

• Total voters
Because of the diversity and number of factors involved in a relationship it's hard... no, impossible to precisely define the concept of reasonable expectations. But there are areas where you can expect a certain minimal standard.

You were doing well here until that "but" snuck in. You're taking your own requirements for marriage and assuming they're universal, and like some of the other sweeping statements you've made in this discussion, it's not a good idea to make that assumption.

If he/she can accept a sexless marriage for instance, then good for them. However if one of the parties of a marriage expected to have an adventurous sex-life and the other party loses the desire to have sex (and is unwilling to compromise and take one for the team), we are dealing with a failure to meet reasonable expectations. There is a general expectation that married couples have sex, despite the legal adherence to the principle of nuptias non concubitus sed consensus facit.

I missed the part where she refused to have sex with him; I thought the only thing we'd established was that she'd gained weight.

And, yeah, it's certainly common, even typical, that married couples have sex. This does not make it a contract.

No - what I'm saying is that if "for better and for worse, in sickness and in health" are binding, then "till death do us part" must also be binding. That's a clear and well-defined exclusion of the possibility for divorce. You can't cherry-pick from the ritual. It's all or nothing.

I agree that people shouldn't get married (at least not with those vows) unless they intend to make it life-long, and to put in some effort to make that happen. What I don't agree with is your suggestion that this then has to be legally enforced.

Not all morality needs to be legislated.

Re. claim that lifetime warranties never define "lifetime":

I was not being completely serious y'know... ;)

I'm glad to hear that. I had taken you for somebody who was just asserting things they believed to be true without taking the trouble to check that first. It's nice to hear that you didn't intend it to be taken as a statement of fact.

Unfortunately, these nuances don't communicate well over the internet. I think quite a few of us have an expectation - reasonable or otherwise - that people will try to observe Grice's Maxim of Quality.

Perhaps you could explicitly tag the bits where you're saying things that aren't intended to be true?

If you want to be technical about it, the marriage ritual is a valid contract. Look at CA civil code section 1622 for instance:

"All contracts may be oral, except such as are specially required by statute to be in writing."

Read on. Specifically, to 1624.a.1, which says that contracts "not to be performed within a year from the making thereof" are invalid unless in writing. My understanding is that most marriages are intended to last longer than that.

But as you say, this part of the CA code doesn't actually cover marriage in the first place, so I'm not really sure what the relevance is.

If you are adhering strictly to the vows, there can be no reason for divorce, except death. There is no mention of fidelity for instance, and the word "love" isn't part of it either. It only specifies "...to have and to hold..." whatever that means. I believe the Brits have "...to love, cherish, and obey..." in theirs, but in the US you don't actually promise to love your spouse. Only to have her and hold her.

To the best of my knowledge, you're right in saying that "love" doesn't strictly have to come into the vows, at least in the USA. IMHO that might be a good thing; "love" is such a variably-interpreted word that it wouldn't be terribly meaningful. Better to focus on how you expect your partner to act on that love - e.g. "in sickness or in health".

Fidelity, OTOH, does make an appearance. For reference, Catholic rites of marriage with and without mass.

http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/order-wedding-with-mass.htm
http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/order-wedding-outside-mass.htm

The priest then questions them about their freedom of choice, faithfulness to each other, and the acceptance and upbringing of children.

Turn it around and look at it from the opposite side. Is it possible to love a person who meets none of your needs?

I will argue that the answer is no.

Dodging the point. You were asserting that love for a spouse is fundamentally no different from love for a thing, because they're both about getting your own needs meet. I pointed out an aspect of love for a spouse that is fundamentally different to love for a thing: it involves consideration of the spouse's happiness.

You say that she is the one suffering?

She has a skinny and fit husband while he has a wife who has let herself slide down a path that has resulted in both her appearance and physical capabilities deteriorating. "Who" is taking advantage of "who" isn't so clear cut...

As I asked previously: what makes you think that "skinny and fit husband" is high on her scale of needs?

Let's look at that unfavorable uglier scenario. Since we don't know.

So if she HAD let herself go, not simply "gained 80lbs", but gained it because she stopped caring about her appearance and health. She had horrible eating habits and was not ashamed of them. Say the husband had expressed his concern for this and she responded aggressively and defensively, not heeding any of his concern and not caring that it ate at him inside. She tries nothing to stop her weight gqin, nothing to make herself better, nothing to keep her husband wanting more.

That is all hypothetical of course. Just phrasing things differently. I know we should all seek the good in people, which makes considering this scenario difficult for some. But since we don't know... could it not very well be this way? See the good in people yes, but that does mean every nasty BAD possibility is absolutely not plausible?

Women in the First World are saturated with the message that Fat Is Ugly and Ugly Is Worthless - just look at the women's magazines in any newsagent and count the stories about weight. It's very hard to avoid internalising stuff like that to some degree; you'd have to go a very long way to find a woman who could gain 80 pounds in three years without feeling really, really unhappy about it.

So it seems like a very unlikely scenario to me. If we're going to entertain it, we might as well go the whole hog and discuss the scenario where she's gained weight because she sneaks out at night and scarfs down live human babies.

I am aware that the actual situation could be more complex than any outsider realizes, but I am a proponent of approaching problems using Occams Razor. And in this case the odds are in favor of her simply being a foodie with poor self control who got bored.

That's something of a non sequitur, because Occam's razor isn't about "the odds". Occam's Razor is about choosing the simplest explanation, not necessarily the most likely. In fact, the mathematical framework needed to establish "most likely" wasn't developed until more than three hundred years after Occam's death.

It often happens that the two coincide - depending on how you define "simplest" - but it's far from guaranteed. For instance, if you shuffle a deck of cards and hand them to me, and I deal them out in perfect order, aces to kings, sorted by suits, the simplest explanation is that it just happened by chance, but the most likely explanation is that one of us rigged the deck somehow.

If we're going to talk about "the odds", then you ought to be applying all the relevant information you have, not just the bits that support your preferred theory.

For instance: what are the odds of a "foodie with poor self control" being as thin as she was when she entered the marriage? And how does that affect your calculation?

Now that you know depression is 3x as common as you believed, and that the category doesn't encompass anxiety disorders that could also trigger overeating, any inclination to reconsider your conclusions?

Alas it doesn't change anything.

Somehow I didn't think it would.

YBut ok - lets be a little more precise. The AMI stats from NSDUH gives a point prevalence for 2012 of 18.6% of the American population.

No it doesn't. The NSDUH report makes it very clear that it's a 12-month prevalence, not a point prevalence.

Naturally this number includes people who are very sick, to the point of being non-functional, but since the women are ahead of the men in the statistics anyway, lets just go with the 18%.

I note that you chose to round down for the mental illness figure, but not for the overweight figures...

In other words, at any given time in 2012 18% of the population was suffering from a mental disorder.

Dude, it's the very first point in the "highlights" section at the start of the NSDUH report:

In 2012, an estimated 43.7 million adults aged 18 or older in the United States had any mental illness (AMI) in the past year. This represents 18.6 percent of all adults in this country.

If you can't understand the difference between "at any given time" and "in the past year" you probably shouldn't be attempting to interpret health data. Not that this particular distinction makes a huge difference here - the fact that it's a 12-month prevalence is actually a little more favourable to your argument, though not enough to salvage it - but these are very basic concepts, and if you don't have a grasp on the basics you're not going to deal well with the rest either.

The same number for overweight people over the age of 20 is 71.3% for men and 65.8% for women. In other words, at any given time in 2012 65.8% of the female population was too fat.

I assume you will agree that these two numbers are of the same fruity variety and thus can be compared directly.

Not quite - you're comparing a 12-month prevalence to a point prevalence - but let's ignore that for now, since there's a much bigger flaw coming up...

So we get the same conclusion as before: That the prevalence of obesity is a lot higher than the prevalence of mental disorders

The figures you gave before were "overweight or obese". The figures for just "obese" are a fair bit lower; assuming you're working from this source, 36.1% for women. (Or 41.4% if you want to go specifically with Hispanic women.)

Still higher than the prevalence for mental illness, but we're getting to that...

and therefore the logical inference must be that the majority of overweight people do not suffer from a mental disorder. This argument is further strengthened by the fact that not everybody who are suffering from a mental disorder is fat.

This argument makes perfect sense if you assume that people who gain weight as a result of a mental illness would instantly lose that weight as soon as their mental health improves. But only somebody with no understanding of health science would make that assumption.

Fictional example by way of illustration: Bob has a major depressive episode that lasts 2 years and triggers weight gain via overeating/lack of exercise/whatever. By the end of Year 1 he's overweight; by the end of Year 2 he's become obese, 60 pounds above the "normal" range.

Then he gets the depression under control, he starts working on his physical health, and loses 10 pounds a year. (Yeah, some people lose weight much faster, but most of them rebound back above their starting point, as previously discussed.) At the end of year 8 he's just back into "normal" weight, and stays in good health for another two years.

Looking at that slice of Bob's life, the point prevalence of depression is 20% (30% for 12-month prevalence) but the point prevalence of the resulting overweight/obesity is 70%. And that's why simply comparing prevalence of mental illness and overweight doesn't give you grounds to claim that most overweight is not MI-related.

Further reading: http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b3868

So in the end we come to the conclusion that you are most likely to be right if you assume that a fat person does "not" suffer from a mental disorder. Which is the same conclusion as before - only with a lot more words. :)

...or we come to the conclusion that you're out of your depth with this data analysis.

Me, I usually get paid to do this stuff. Since you're not paying me, and since I'm pretty sure the future of this thread involves you continuing to use statistics as a drunk man uses a lamp-post, I'm going to bow out of the discussion at this point. Have fun.

I know who Patrick Stewart is, but then you lost me. :confused: I think this is one of those "I'm not that kind of nerd" situations. :D

I am shocked! She is part of the TNG cast. :eek:

You have some re-watching to do, if you want to avoid losing geek-creds ;)

deanna.jpg

deanna.jpg

Kinda looks like a chalky school principal who hasd as much experience with cock as she has with private sector employment.

FWIW, I think the purpose of your thread was disingenuous and I call bullshit. This thread would have been better suited to the GB.

It is a politically sensitive and, for some, a controversial subject. I can assure you that my curiosity is genuine though. And this situation has an effect on an emotional level, a sexual level and - ultimatively - on the entire relationship in question. That makes it a grerat plot bunny too, right? Hence the Authors Hangout rather than the GB. :)

I'm trying to remember any stories I have read that involved a weight issue, but I can only recall a single one. I don't recall the title, but it was about a wife who lost a lot of weight and subsequently because promiscuous. I haven't read anything that dealth with a change in a relationship based on one of the parties gaining weight. There is an un-tapped potential for great drama here...

deanna.jpg

Oh, there's no "re." I've never watched Star Trek at all. Ever. I'm a completely different kind of nerd. :eek:

Kinda looks like a chalky school principal who hasd as much experience with cock as she has with private sector employment.

She is married to a rock musician. So trust me - she is being banged like a drum on a constant basis, when she's not out in the private sector making piles of cash based on her status as a StarTrek icon. :cool:

266180.jpg

Oh, there's no "re." I've never watched Star Trek at all. Ever. I'm a completely different kind of nerd. :eek:

!!!!?

cat_6-jpg.jpg

You have some serious catching up to do. TOS, TNG, DeepSpace 9, Voyager, Enterprise and 12 movies. And you should include Babylon 5 as well, just for the comparison to DS9. And don't assume it's all about being geeky. StarTrek is highly allegorical and deals with every issue imaginable, so it's actually an education. After you are done watching, even the strangest and most alien'esque of your students will begin to make sense in your mind.... ;)

She is married to a rock musician. So trust me - she is being banged like a drum on a constant basis, when she's not out in the private sector making piles of cash based on her status as a StarTrek icon. :cool:

266180.jpg

He looks like an AH fag. Is that you TIO?

His tits are bigger than hers, too.

He looks like an AH fag. Is that you TIO?

His tits are bigger than hers, too.

Marina Sirtis is a chesty lady in her own right. And it takes serious testosterone to handle that degree of boobage, so I'm not quite sure I buy your assumption of gayness...

8548093615_3a2f08b7ee.jpg

Marina Sirtis is a chesty lady in her own right. And it takes serious testosterone to handle that degree of boobage, so I'm not quite sure I buy your assumption of gayness...

8548093615_3a2f08b7ee.jpg

My sister in law bought some fun bags, too.

To Bramble, I'm not sure I agree that it's not plausible to think a person can be a careless person in the "worst case scenario" I provided. Slobby people are all around us. They may or may not be the majority. But just from stepping out my door I can tell you there are careless self centered people. I don't need statistics on depression and warranties to tell me that. And I certainly think it's a huge deal more likely that her eating infants to gain the weight.

I do want to see the best in people, but I'm not going to push the "bad scenario" out of the picture entirely. And I am realistic enough to know that stupid people exist, crazy people exist, slobs exist, selfish assholes exist, ignorant people exist, and all the like exist.

I don't know the entire story here. And I've given my own opinion of what I would do given the situation. But I can look at the conflict and know that it's just as plausible for one of them to be a selfish ass as the other one, man or wife. It shouldn't be cause for crucifixion for Strange or anyone else to suggest it go either way.

I concede that the woman could have a real problem and need help, and is being treated unfairly by her husband. But I also recognize that she could also be an uncaring slob. None of us have enough info to say, it IS this way or it IS that way. So no one should rush to the assumption that the other side of the equation is the wrong one... whether or not it sounds harsh.

I missed the part where she refused to have sex with him; I thought the only thing we'd established was that she'd gained weight.

I have no idea as to whether they have sex or not. But if her gaining weight has influenced their sexlife in a negative way, he does have a valid complaint.

And, yeah, it's certainly common, even typical, that married couples have sex. This does not make it a contract.

The nuptias non concubitus sed consensus facit. However there is a reasonable expectation of sex in a marriage between two heathy people. You might even say that sex defines a marriage. Without sex your wife is basically a room mate, right? A friend without benefits.

I agree that people shouldn't get married (at least not with those vows) unless they intend to make it life-long, and to put in some effort to make that happen. What I don't agree with is your suggestion that this then has to be legally enforced.

I can't quite figure out if you're mincing words on purpose or what, but I will assume that you simply misunderstood. I am no proponent of any legal enforcement with regard to marriage vows. If people don't want to be together the law has no business forcing them to. But some debaters kept going on about the sanctity of the "for better and for worse" section and that prompted me to remark that if you want to take one part of the ritual as an unbreakable obligation, then you have to take the entire ritual like that. And the consequence would be no possibility for divorce.

Perhaps you could explicitly tag the bits where you're saying things that aren't intended to be true?

It's not a question of "truth" - it's a question of "granularity". Of not wasting too much energy on irrelevant details just to prove that I have an internet connection and Google. The secret of efficiency is to avoid overkill. That's what I mean by the term "statistical masturbation." Y'know, something you do for fun rather than results... :rolleyes:

To the best of my knowledge, you're right in saying that "love" doesn't strictly have to come into the vows, at least in the USA. IMHO that might be a good thing; "love" is such a variably-interpreted word that it wouldn't be terribly meaningful. Better to focus on how you expect your partner to act on that love - e.g. "in sickness or in health".

True that. Since you cannot control who you love, you can't promise to love anybody. All you can really do is give it your best shot .

Dodging the point. You were asserting that love for a spouse is fundamentally no different from love for a thing, because they're both about getting your own needs meet. I pointed out an aspect of love for a spouse that is fundamentally different to love for a thing: it involves consideration of the spouse's happiness.

But consider for a moment "why" you are concerned for your spouse's happiness. Is there something in it for you maybe?

(hint: There is ;) )

As I asked previously: what makes you think that "skinny and fit husband" is high on her scale of needs?

For the same reason that you can tell that a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta is high on my wishlist without asking - common sense. Regardless of what polical correctness may dictate, "fit" is considered attractive and at the same time the most efficient and versatile state the human body can attain. Who doesn't want a partner like that? Would you prefer to have sex with Scarlett Johansson or Rosie O'Donnell?

Women in the First World are saturated with the message that Fat Is Ugly and Ugly Is Worthless - just look at the women's magazines in any newsagent and count the stories about weight. It's very hard to avoid internalising stuff like that to some degree; you'd have to go a very long way to find a woman who could gain 80 pounds in three years without feeling really, really unhappy about it.

I think you're putting the horse in front of the carriage. The magazines and Hollywood are not out to sabotage womens self image. There is no big and evil conspiracy here. They're out to sell their products - simple as that - and they do whatever work the best. If fat people worked better in marketing than skinny people, GQ would be filled with fat guys and Tom Cruise would weigh 400 pounds.

It is the people who buy the merchandise who dictate what type of models are used in the ads, and it is the moviegoers who decide what type of actresses are used in the movies.

Occam's Razor is about choosing the simplest explanation, not necessarily the most likely.

Can't disagree with you there.

Ok then - so what is the simplest explanation for a person being fat? That he or she eats too much or that he or she is sick? And please don't pick option 2...

If we're going to talk about "the odds", then you ought to be applying all the relevant information you have, not just the bits that support your preferred theory.

For instance: what are the odds of a "foodie with poor self control" being as thin as she was when she entered the marriage? And how does that affect your calculation?

Since there are no recorded statistics for this specific behavior I cannot calculate anything. But I can make an educated guess based on what I know about human behavior. And it is not unusual to change your behavior if your life situation changes. Some people get complacent when they feel secure in their relationship - they no longer feel that they have to try so hard - and others again get stressed or bored. All situations that may cause a foodie to go over the edge.

Dude, it's the very first point in the "highlights" section at the start of the NSDUH report...

* lotsa text *

...Looking at that slice of Bob's life, the point prevalence of depression is 20% (30% for 12-month prevalence) but the point prevalence of the resulting overweight/obesity is 70%. And that's why simply comparing prevalence of mental illness and overweight doesn't give you grounds to claim that most overweight is not MI-related.

Further reading: http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b3868

Interresting example - I actually mean that - and a very plausible sounding scenario.

But Bob's story still doesn't change the conclusion that not all fat people are sick and not all sick people are fat. And since there are far more fat people than sick people, it follows logically that any given fat person is most likely to not be sick. Therefore you are bound to be right more often if you assume that fat people you meet aren't sick.

In other words, the wife in question might be sick, but it is most likely that she is not.

...or we come to the conclusion that you're out of your depth with this data analysis.

Me, I usually get paid to do this stuff. Since you're not paying me, and since I'm pretty sure the future of this thread involves you continuing to use statistics as a drunk man uses a lamp-post, I'm going to bow out of the discussion at this point. Have fun.

Getting paid to be snide? Not a bad gig. Please let me know if they have an opening... ;)

My sister in law bought some fun bags, too.

I think they're real.

Next time I see her at a con, I'll consider copping a feeler to verify. I've never tried getting kicked out by security before... that will be a whole new experience. :rolleyes:

Back