2009 challenge V.1 "Pen"

Please vote for you favorite solution to the challenge word "Pen"

• 1. "Power of the Pen"

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 2. "Sharpie"

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 3. "Inspiration" (color & Mono count as one)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 4. "Harley Study"

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 5. "Saw, Conquered, Came"

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 6. "Literotica To Do List"

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 7. "1st snow / Parchment"

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 8. "Pen"

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 9. "Pen"

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
8. Pen ~ by kinkikittyn
attachment.php

kinki, this is beautiful. i love the movement of the body and her facial expression. the concept is clear and amazingly executed. i enjoyed seeing the progression of how you worked on it, starting with the sketch and going back and adding in the multiple layers. i also wouldn't mind trying it out! :rose:

Last edited:
6. Literotica To Do List ~ by Chainzz
attachment.php

3rd Place (tie) for this challenge!

Moving on, Chainzz

I'm not sure about this entry, Pen themed yes appealing visual composition yes, erotic, umm, not so much. not quite what I was expecting from him. Although I haven't seen anything else he's done. I think the 'biker' image may have thrown me off. I would like to here from him about the making of this piece. The thought process etc. It did well enough to garner a third place win. So obviously the audience 'got' it. Curious.

SunandShadow does awesome digital things, as do other artist that post here.

I still struggle with even the most basic features of digital art programs. The theme was recognizable immediately. It gives the illusion of being easy to create, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. I would love to see her do some 'old school' art. I'm still not sure how I feel about the digital imaging movement. I'm torn.

Thanks for the comment. :cattail: I like digital art because I never have to be afraid of mistakes, I love the Undo button. ;) I also love the possibility of making perfect smooth lines, something that's basically impossible for me to do by hand. And there's a lot of freedom to play with color, because it's so easy to change any color out for another.

Some digital art is easier to create than others - I used the vector program Inkscape to make my entry, and I'm also using it for all the art for my videogame I've been making. Personally I think vector programs are easy to use, but I've met people who find their basic concept, the bezier curve, to seem alien. Photoshop on the other hand is a raster/bitmap program; I used to work in it, but haven't been doing so much recently. If you have the patience for detail (which I don't :eek: ) you can get some really amazing effects out of a program like photoshop - stuff that looks really sparkly, or like an oil painting but without the frustration of never being able to work small enough, as well as works which integrate a photograph or photographic texture seamlessly with drawn/painted elements.

'Old school' art, I'm not sure whether I actually do anything you would classify as that. I do like some physical media - watercolors, acrylics, colored ballpoint pens/markers, and various sculptural materials. I thought I had posted a link to my art sample page in the first challenge announcement thread; it has some watercolors, pen and marker drawings, and pencil sketches.
http://home.comcast.net/~wickeddelight/
But I don't produce 'finished' works in pencil; I just use pencil as a quick and easy medium to experimentally get my thoughts onto the paper, and work out mechanics like anatomy and perspective.

Thanks for the comment. :cattail: I like digital art because I never have to be afraid of mistakes, I love the Undo button. ;) I also love the possibility of making perfect smooth lines, something that's basically impossible for me to do by hand. And there's a lot of freedom to play with color, because it's so easy to change any color out for another.

Some digital art is easier to create than others - I used the vector program Inkscape to make my entry, and I'm also using it for all the art for my videogame I've been making. Personally I think vector programs are easy to use, but I've met people who find their basic concept, the bezier curve, to seem alien. Photoshop on the other hand is a raster/bitmap program; I used to work in it, but haven't been doing so much recently. If you have the patience for detail (which I don't :eek: ) you can get some really amazing effects out of a program like photoshop - stuff that looks really sparkly, or like an oil painting but without the frustration of never being able to work small enough, as well as works which integrate a photograph or photographic texture seamlessly with drawn/painted elements.

'Old school' art, I'm not sure whether I actually do anything you would classify as that. I do like some physical media - watercolors, acrylics, colored ballpoint pens/markers, and various sculptural materials. I thought I had posted a link to my art sample page in the first challenge announcement thread; it has some watercolors, pen and marker drawings, and pencil sketches.
http://home.comcast.net/~wickeddelight/
But I don't produce 'finished' works in pencil; I just use pencil as a quick and easy medium to experimentally get my thoughts onto the paper, and work out mechanics like anatomy and perspective.

Very intriguing, i wish I had the time and resources to learn more digital art techniques, I am however doing more in photoshop. To me though the tactile enjoyment is just totally lost in the digital media. I enjoy the smell of graphite and cedar of a freshly sharpened pencil, the feel of the paper, cutting a perfect line with a nice brush loaded with ink. I just can't get the same satisfaction with the digital media. The only thing that perhaps drives me a bit over the edge is a unforgiving mistake on a nearly completed piece! Oy! but as they say, practice makes perfect, Great response SnS!

When I first started learning to do art on the computer I felt the same way, that it didn't have the tactile pleasure of physical art. But I think part of that was the fact that I couldn't use the software intuitively yet, so that was intruding on my art-making experience. That naturally fixed itself as I gained more experience using the software; I noticed because it came back when I tried to learn a new (3D) software recently. Also as I have gotten older I've gotten more put off by the hassle of setting up a painting space or sculpting space and then cleaning and packing everything away again. Also the hassle of trying to store drawings and paintings - with digital art there is no fragile original, the digital version is neatly stored in my computer, probably mirrored on my webspace, and I can give it to someone without worrying about shipping and without giving up my own copy.

I do still enjoy physical art in a more visceral way than digital art, but that's thoroughly balanced by the fact that I am pretty much always satisfied with a digital piece by the time I'm done with it, while I'm usually somewhat unsatisfied with a physical piece I finish, due to having much less ability to edit and less fine control.

5. Saw, Conquered, Came ~ by sunandshadow
attachment.php
Now where was i?
Oh yes, I was making comments (my own opinions) on the entries.

I do like the penis/pen concept even writing in white fluid :D. A different take from Patty's writing with urine in the snow. But to get nit-picky, I'[d like to see a more "blobby" font... perhaps a bit less regular? Of course the truncated writing implement appears more dildo than penis.. whew! I would find it too disturbing if a disembodied penis:eek:

It is a fun concept, but personally I find the vector art too stiff. :rolleyes:
even for a rigid pen.

6. Literotica To Do List ~ by Chainzz
attachment.php

3rd Place (tie) for this challenge!

This was a bit amusing... though the humor was just a bit "off" to me.
It seems that "steal pen from boss should be 1st...or if 3rd, then ink should change.
I do like the detail of "literotica.com" on the pen... which of cours eleads me to wonder.... is Manu and/or Laurel Chainzz's boss?

Again (as in sunandshadow's) I think a better font could be used.

and..also a personal thing... I could see how #9. Dolf would cause #10. DRINK:rolleyes:

all in all, I felt this addressed the word "pen" better than being "erotic".

7. 1st snow / Parchment ~ by pattydraws
attachment.php

attachment.php

I felt that Patty's other solution worked a bit better.
One (I) really needs the title "1st snow" to get that IS snow... the shovel handle helps a bit...and here ,unlike sunandshadow's synthetic looking pen/penis, the penises seem as if they are dismembered members!:eek:
I DO Love some of Patty's other "stand alone" penises....taht are more like LIVING mushroomish "creatures".

8. Pen ~ by kinkikittyn
attachment.php

This one was my fav.. and honestly not because I just Love kiki, herself. no really!
I love the concept!
And I have a bit of a milking fetish:eek::D

The figure also has some dynamic "action" the hair, the chains (left being more taut while the right dancing) the sloosh of the milk....coool.

also great anatomy.foreshortening.. even the hose dosappearing up between her legs is cool.

check out the cow tag earrings.

it is neat that kiki also diverged from the more obvious definition of pen.

I don't think it "needs' any more work, but would still love to see kiki tak eit even further.

everyone should check out her own thread to see the development sketches!

Last edited:
9. Pen ~ by austin8
attachment.php

2nd Place for this challenge!
Just got a LARGE version:
attachment.php

I dig the spontaenaety and humor of austin's solution!
I also like the ambiguity...is that a giant pen or elf-woman?
What did you have in mind, austin?

I think this ties the concept of pen and erotic quite well!

ok.. here's mine.
attachment.php

I amused myself with this! In choosing the word "pen" I liked the many meanings and permutations.. the root word to penis, pensive, pendulous...
pen as an enclosure, pen as a writing tool...

so I just started drawing a man (me) drawing..with a quill!!..where did I get the quill...I plucked it!...from where... but I was not looking....how would the mother pluckered react....

I dig the spontaenaety and humor of austin's solution!
I also like the ambiguity...is that a giant pen or elf-woman?
What did you have in mind, austin?

I think this ties the concept of pen and erotic quite well!

*Grinning* Well I actually was at a lose on this, my first challenge.A stripper, the giant pen represents her pole.

*Grinning* Well I actually was at a lose on this, my first challenge.A stripper, the giant pen represents her pole.

works for ME!:D

and all the more impressive when one looks at how fast you whipped it out!;)

Back