🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 14: A song for someone you miss

I think the first time I shared something personal here was talking about my best friend who died of an overdose 6 years ago. She’s on my mind a lot. Music was one of the first ways we connected. It’s one of the ways we still do.
I had a bad day yesterday. I fought with my husband. I was tired. I was grumpy. I was in my head, feeling bad for myself. It wasn’t until the evening that I realized what day it was. May 13th. Her birthday. How could I forget? How could I be so wrapped up in myself that it didn’t even occur to me?
Life is for the living, they say. But it’s hard. It’s hard to miss someone. God, I miss her. I really, really miss her.

“Should we still set his plate?
Should we still save his chair?
Should we still buy him gifts?
And if we don't, did we not care?”

Bayside - Winter

Hugs for you, Princess. Losing someone is always hard. Losing them when different circumstances may have prevented it is devastating.

Hold everyone you love tight. Tell them you love them. Know that you are loved.

I think the first time I shared something personal here was talking about my best friend who died of an overdose 6 years ago. She’s on my mind a lot. Music was one of the first ways we connected. It’s one of the ways we still do.
I had a bad day yesterday. I fought with my husband. I was tired. I was grumpy. I was in my head, feeling bad for myself. It wasn’t until the evening that I realized what day it was. May 13th. Her birthday. How could I forget? How could I be so wrapped up in myself that it didn’t even occur to me?
Life is for the living, they say. But it’s hard. It’s hard to miss someone. God, I miss her. I really, really miss her.

Bayside - Winter

Oh, Princess....🫂.
Music and memories are so interwoven. It is part of what makes magic in this thread. I have listened to that song through twice, and I'm still processing it. There is a lot there.

I am older than you, and I have experienced loss a lot, like every one else, and I will tell you something I have learned: it never gets any easier. Life is for the living, but part of being the living is carrying it all. People talk about "getting over it " You never do. What you do is make space in your heart for it and move on, bringing it with you. And in time, that is okay.

But also, as long as someone is spoken of, they are never truly gone. And music keeps them with us as well.

Sorry, waxing philosophical, and long, as usual.

I wish you peace and rest in the good memories of one you loved so deeply and well.

Sometimes the line between heartbreaking and heart-mending, between sad and lonely and joyous and celebratory, blurs into a beautiful haze. I just luv the 'feel' of this gorgeous classic. But the third verse ("my mind's distracted"), and the fifth verse, have really got me missing someone today.

"And so you see I have come to doubt/ All that I once held as true/ I stand alone without beliefs/ The only truth I know is you"

Simon & Garfunkel - Kathy's Song

Bayside - Winter

🫂 🫂

Bayside - Winter

Hugs Song, I hope that remembering her birthday brought you some comfort in the end, they must have been a very special friend and I hope you remembered the good times as well.

Day 14: A song for someone you miss.
This is for Rhonda. She was intelligent, hilarious, and we danced so much. She was my first love, and my first lover. And when she walked away from me for a guy she told me she hated, it hurt so fucking bad that I wished I had never met her.

To Rhonda....I miss you the way Coyote misses the moon.

"The Night we Met," Lord Huron

Last edited:
Back