Penis and Vulva

In common usage penis is the accepted "polite" term for the male genitals.
Similarly, in common usage the female genitals are referred to as vagina, even if that isn't technically correct terminology.

Pussy and dick or cock are next step down the politeness ladder.

I can't say I've ever heard anyone refer to their vulva in a normal conversation.

Is there a reasonably polite American word for the combo of vulva and vagina (apart from euphemisms like 'lady parts')?

Pussy is less rude than cunt, but still not exactly a word you can say to your mum. In the UK it's your fanny, but that gets moved when crossing the Atlantic.
I don’t use “lady parts” because not everyone with a vulva is a girl or woman. I simply say vagina when I mean vagina and vulva when I mean vulva.

I think trying to characterize the terms as "sexualized" or not isn't helpful. The big, glaring difference is that EVERYONE knows what a penis is. Whereas a large portion of the population don't know what a vulva is. How do I know this???? Duhh... But it's true, right?
Yeah, that's a side argument. The point is, you can use 'penis' quite flexibly in this kind of writing, and others, but 'vulva' does not work the same way.

You can use 'penis' in a sex scene, or in a non sex scene. You can use 'dick' in some non-sex scene situations. Once you go 'cock', you're pretty much there.

For women, you've got 'pussy', which doesn't give you nearly the same options. 'Vulva' just sounds like you've been fishing through a thesaurus.

In common usage penis is the accepted "polite" term for the male genitals.
I should probably have used "polite" instead of what I did. You can say 'penis' in polite company, in the few instances where it can be politely referred to at all.

But really, maybe the problem is that you can't even refer to female genitalia at all in polite company.

I should probably have used "polite" instead of what I did. You can say 'penis' in polite company, in the few instances where it can be politely referred to at all.

But really, maybe the problem is that you can't even refer to female genitalia at all in polite company.

You can say vagina in polite company if there is a reason to. Context is everything.

I think I've been guilty of "slit," but have actively been avoiding it since it's been pointed out "open wound" comparison. 😲
A guy on a different forum had 'undergash' as his username. He wasn't aware of the derogatory nature of the term when he chose it. He changed it toote suite as soon as he found out.

The penis, mightier than the sword...
But not the, well, let me tell you a little story...

Little Tommy and little Suzy were playing one day when Tommy dropped his pants and pulled out his penis. "Look at what I've got. My brother says girls don't have them." The grin on his face was huge.
In tears, little Suzy rushed home, devastated at the unfairness.

The next day, little Tommy repeated his display, expecting little Suzy to crater once again.
With the bravado of Joan of Arc, she lifted her dress and pulled her panties down, "Yeah, well my mommy says I have one of these, and I can get all of those I want."

Is there a reasonably polite American word for the combo of vulva and vagina (apart from euphemisms like 'lady parts')?

Pussy is less rude than cunt, but still not exactly a word you can say to your mum. In the UK it's your fanny, but that gets moved when crossing the Atlantic.
It's probably my age, but words like penis, testicles, vulva, vagina, and cervix are words I find difficult to use in erotica unless it's a story about a medical fetish. They're just too clinical to be erotic. My modern women characters have a portal, a passage, and a clit. My modern men speak of their cock and their women say "dick". I the story is set before about 1900, my male character has either a cock or "his manhood", and my female characters have the same portal and passage, but a little bump at the top of their lips.

It's probably my age, but words like penis, testicles, vulva, vagina, and cervix are words I find difficult to use in erotica unless it's a story about a medical fetish. They're just too clinical to be erotic. My modern women characters have a portal, a passage, and a clit. My modern men speak of their cock and their women say "dick". I the story is set before about 1900, my male character has either a cock or "his manhood", and my female characters have the same portal and passage, but a little bump at the top of their lips.
I’d find cervix difficult to be erotic too. Unless it was a blinding pain fetish.

Em

Back