Yvaine Warrior Queen. (Closed for Wombat9966

YoungLisa

She Wolf
King Zura had ruled his kingdom of Crowdaz for over forty years and in that time his army had defended against every would be invader and by making trade agreements with his neighbours he ensured his people had a secure future. His only failure had been in his marriage. He loved his wife Nadiya passionately but she had only managed to produce one child as an heir; their daughter Yvaine.

Yvaine hated being a girl because girls had no fun. But behind her parent’s backs she encouraged the imperial guard to teach how to use a sword, a shield, how to throw a spear and the art of face to face combat.

The King and Queen eventually discovered their daughter’s secret and at the age of twelve sent her to the Temple of Ghanala to be raised by the virgin priestesses in the art of femininity but she hated it and escaped many times.

One young soldier Alaric was assigned the task of ensuring young Yvaine remained in the temple and thwarted every escape. On Yvaine’s fourteenth birthday she had planned to escape and spend time with her friends. Alaric discovered the plot and was about to report to his superior when Yvaine stopped him. “I’m sick of you spying on me. Do you get a thrill out of the possibility of seeing me naked? Or do you think I’ll let you bed me as a bribe?”

Before Alaric could answer Yvaine took a knife and with her left hand cut the little finger on her right. “In one hour I shall scream and place this blood between my legs and tell the guard you tried to force yourself on me. I suggest you make your escape while you can. If you remain here a slow death awaits you.”

Yvaine would never of carried out the threat but Alaric wasn’t to know that. He disappeared and within six months his name was forgotten. Meanwhile Yvaine’s parents accepted defeat and allowed their daughter to train with the army praying she would one day grow out of this phase. It never happened and as the years passed she learned how to ride as warrior, shoot as an archer and was as competent in the art of battles as was the hardest member of the imperial guard.

Two months after Yvaine’s eighteenth birthday Nadiya died and just three months later Zura followed his wife to the afterlife. Following the required period of mourning Yvaine was crowned Queen and she set about ensuring everything would continue for the benefit of her people. After her coronation she called her army together. “We have enjoyed many years of peace and I want them to continue. No one wants war but only a fool does not prepare for the worst.” Looking round she said “I will serve my people as their warrior queen and train and ride with the army. Hopefully we will never be called to fight for survival.” She had no idea her past was about to come back to haunt her.

Alaric

Alairic could never forget that day he had been forced to flee from the Temple of Ghanala by the uppity bitch of a princess Yvaine. He had been a Warrior of good standing in the kings army even though he was of such a young age. When the king had asked for a warrior to watch over his daughter the head of his bodyguards had immediately recommended him telling the king that having such a young warrior would be good for the princess. It would mean she would always have a loyal man around her she could always depend on for as long as she would live or he did, and he might have a calming influence on her.

Well that plan had not gone well. For two years he had continued training, getting better all the time and thwarting all her escape attempts, until the night she had threatened to accuse him of trying to force himself on her. he had fled her chambers and gone straight to the high priestesses chambers and then his commanders. Both had offered him the same advice. Run. They knew he was too loyal to have done what she would accuse him of but it would be his word against a royal princesses. He would have no chance. His commander gave him food and weapons and saw him to the city gates. They shook hands warrior style and he turned towards his ancient home land. Even then he had the vague stirrings of a plan.

Two years later he was the head warrior of his Father's old Barbarian village. He had learned their ways and it was basically survival of the fittest. On the rough plains and hills of the tundra the weak did not survive long, but it bred tough warriors, both men and women. His training helped him rise quickly in the small tribe and as he grew he grew big and strong. He had a plan though and this small tribe would not be enough. He would need all of the tribes, but he would leave that for another few years yet. He needed to prepare and achieve his full growth yet.

When he turned 18, Alaric had grown into a powerful warrior. He had trained every day since he had joined the tribe and was now a fierce and deadly warrior with any weapon put in either of his hands. He could throw a spear with pinpoint accuracy over 200 paces with either hand and hit a target with bow and arrow at 600 with deadly accuracy. Swords, Axes, Hammers, knives were an extension of his body and his body itself was a killing machine. He stood 7 feet tall with the muscles of a storytellers hero of old. He had spent many a day lifting rocks and working in the smithy to get them.

This spring he was to put his plan into action. Every four years all the tribes came together to hold contests of strength, fighting skills and to elect a new high king from the gathered chiefs. This time he was going to be in that last category as well as all the others. A week before they left to go to the gathering he challenged the chief for leadership of the tribe. Boric was not stupid. He was 40 and had survived because he was a smart and wise leader. "I know you are planning something Alaric and I feel that it could bring this tribe great glory or great destruction. I believe however with you in charge it will be great glory. I will happily step aside for you as long as you always put the tribe against all else."
Alaric happily nodded and they set off for the meet.

The tourneys went well with Alaric easily winning them all. Then he and the other chiefs plus several wise men retired to a large tent. The arguments for a new high king began but Alaric said nothing and his name was hardly mentioned. Finally after several hours it came down to two candidates. Finally Alaric stood up. "Gentleman I notice my name never came up even though I won every tournament there was today while the rest of you sat on your lazy asses. So let me make this clear. I will be high chief this year and I will retain the title until one of you can take it off me. Oh and I will be using that title to it's full potential so all your tribes are now mine to do with as I see fit. Any objections," he said slamming his huge hammer onto the table and cracking it.

No one moved then one of the chiefs stood up. "I object and challenge you you young upstart. Time a real warrior put you in your place." It was Flemish Ironfist the most well known chief with the biggest tribe here.
"Very well but you understand the rules. I win your tribe is mine. You win mine is yours."
He raised his hammer and waited. Flemish drew his sword and charged in. Three quick swipes and everyone thought it was over but Alaric calmly stepped forward and bashed Flemish in the head killing him instantly. He didn't have a scratch on him. "Any further objections,no then gentleman prepare for war. We march on Crowdaz."

Sorry for long post

http://24.media.tumblr.com/10005d02aa0bae73186e5cf5dd0b7de9/tumblr_mpl77vMK8X1qlhmtlo1_500.jpg

Yvaine took her troops on manoeuvres on both foot and horse back joining in every activity. She promised 1,000 crowns – the average yearly wage of a skilled soldier to any man who could make her yield in mock combat but the money remained in her strong box.

On returning she ordered the strengthening of the city walls and supervised some of the work herself. One evening a foot soldier came charging in to the royal apartments demanding to see no one but the queen herself. At first she rebuked him for his daring but she soon dispensed with ceremony when she heard what he had to say. “Your Majesty there is a new leader of the tribes. One leader of the tribes in the wilderness. A warrior named Alaric who has been pronounced king. He … He is … He is riding now planning to take Crowdaz!”

That name echoed in Yvaine’s mind, it was so familiar yet she couldn’t place it. The next day one of her retired commanders from her father’s day told her who he was. Stunned for a moment she soon regained her dignity. “I suppose I did treat him very badly. I would never have carried out my threat, everyone knows that. But … he probably wants some compensation. Let’s wait until he gets here and see what he wants.”

“Majesty” her present commander interrupted “He doesn’t want compensation. He wants you! He wants your kingdom. He wants to carry out the very act you falsely accused him of”.

“Very well” Yvaine answered “If he wants a war he can have one. Order total mobilisation!” Within a day the army was ready and Yvaine suitably armoured led them out.

Alaric knew his war band would be spotted on it's way to Crowdaz but he had planned on that. In fact his plan counted on it. The thing was no one knew how big the tribes numbered and he was counting on that factor. He knew how many troops Yvaine would approximately have under her command and he knew how many he had. He also knew the strengths and weaknesses of the two armies. His was much stronger and fitter than hers and he would count every man and woman as two for her one. However they had better armour nullifying that advantage. They also had horses but his men were used to fighting beasts the size of them and twice as fast so he was not worried about that. He was worried about them fighting as a group though. He had tribes that had been enemies for years fighting together and he needed to appease them somehow. He had an idea how but he needed that stupid queen to ride out and meet him instead of hiding behind her walls.

So he made his plan. More than half his army would sneak through the hills when they entered her lands while the others made enough noise and trouble drawing all the attention to themselves. Looting and pillaging was encouraged but the land was to remain unharmed. After all they were to settle here afterwards so they would only be hurting themselves.Just who got these spoils was hotly debated until Alaric had a solution. Those that got this opportunity Had to stay outside the city for two hours while those who had to sneak through the hills had free reign inside. This was met with wise nods. A good decision. Volunteers came forth from the tribes and he soon had his horde to ravage the land. It was sizeable still but not enough to raise too big an alarm, being small enough for Crowdaz to fight and win against in a expensive but ultimately victorious fight.

Alaric moved forward until he came to a place he remembered well. It was a large pass in the mountains. He had trained here many times and it was the scene of many battles. Before him was a vast plain, excellent for battle but he camped in the pass itself, surrounded by the cliffs and waited for the Queen to arrive. The pass was not all that narrow bu it would funnel troops towards him and it would look like he was trying to negate their superior numbers. It was perfect.

The sun was beginning to set as Yvaine’s army entered the Forest of Ghosts so called because of the noise the winter wind made blowing through the trees. Deciding to camp overnight Yvaine arranged the guard and then called her commanders together. Proving she was no dumb would be warrior she addressed her officers. “Alaric is obviously a very skilful fighter and I have the very highest regard and respect for him. He is trying to pull us in to the Kilworer Mountain Pass but we will not oblige. I know this forest like the back of my hand, I played here as a girl. We dig in and draw him here. Give me your twenty best trap makers and I’ll spend the night setting traps.”

Commander Hamerg, Yvaine’s senior general spoke up “With respect Majesty, you should not be out in the night air. You should be resting, building up your strength.”

“Thank you for your concern Commander” Yvaine smiled sweetly “you think because I’m just a feeble woman I need to be wrapped in cotton wool!” Hamerg felt embarrassed but the queen stood and placed her hand on his shoulder. “I would remind you of three things. First I am NOT a feeble woman. You forget I am undefeated in mock combat and have proved myself time after time. Second I will never, I repeat NEVER ask my soldiers to do anything I am not willing to do myself. Third it’s because of my stupidity we are in this mess. Back in my early teens I was a wild child who wanted her own way. I pray the gods forgive me for the pain I caused Alaric. I brought this on us and I will try to rectify it.”

Hamerg before the Queen and said “Majesty, it’s my fault too. I advised Alaric to flee. If I hadn’t he would be dead. Can you ever forgive me?”

Yvaine reached down and pulled him up to his feet “You did right, you weren’t to know I was only bluffing. Sadly neither did Alaric know either.” She took a deep breath “If only I could turn the time back!” Hamerg saluted and left.

After traps were set Yvaine returned to her tent and prayed to Ghanala “Lord Ghanala I beg your protection during the coming battle. Forgive me for bringing this on my people. I rededicate myself to your service this day. Grant us victory and I’ll be your servant for ever.” With that she lit a candle and went to sleep.

The next morning she addressed her army. “I’m not going to pretend we are in for an easy time. Some of us will fall in this battle. If any of you do not want to be with us you are free to go.”

With one voice they replied “THE GODS PROTECT QUEEN YVAINE!” Reaching down from her horse she grabbed a small paint pot and applied two stripes of blue paint to her right cheek. War was now inevitable.

Alaric waited for the Queen and her army to come to him. His men were in place and they had even managed to put up some basic defences. The morning sun had already risen though and he could not even spot her army. Just what was that bloody woman playing at. As the sun continued it's slow journey through the sky, two of his advance scouts came jogging towards him.

"Report, Just what is going on?" he ordered.
The senior scout saluted and then began talking in a precise clear tone. "Forgive us for taking so long Chief, but the army was not where it was supposed to be and it took as a little while to find it. The Queen has set up in some woods several miles from here and her army does not look like it will be moving from that spot. Most of it is hidden from view inside the woods with only her forward elements on the edge of it. I would hazzard a guess that she is trying to do something similar to what we were doing here. Lure us in and then destroy us. I wouldn't be surprised if those woods are not heavily trapped by now."

Alaric began stroking his chin and thinking. "Thank you scout master. I need you to pick 5 of your fastest runners and send them to the two other elements of the tribes. I want half of them to surround those woods from either side and the other halves to push on and lay siege to the city. I will stake my life she has brought almost the entire army here to crush us. I basically want them to camp at a safe distance away from the walls and force them to shut up the city unless the can all sneak in safely. Tell them if they loose men needlessly they will loose their heads slowly and painfully."
"Yes Chief," the man said turning away and running towards a group of men. Two minutes later five figures streaked away.

Alaric grinned. So she wished to try and play this game did she, well she would find he didn't play too well with others anymore. "Come men," he said raising his voice so the whole Horde heard him including the ones in the cliffs. "The Queen in her wisdom hides in Forests too afraid to face us in open combat. We will take the fight to her and show her just what we think of that."
A mighty roar went up and they started to move out and Alaric called for his head priest. "I have an idea for this battle Shaman but I need to know if the writings are correct. Do the tribes Priests still now the secret of the burning liquid?"
Killamar smiled. He had been the first to sense the young mans intelligence and drive and had befriended him early. His hunch had paid off. "Yes it is true we know the secret but we will not have enough ingredients too make much Chief. Perhaps four or five small hand sized jugs."
Alaric nodded. "It will do. How long will you need to prepare them?"
The Shaman thought hard. "An hour, maybe a little more."
"Then as soon as we get to the woods start making them. I want them finished as soon as possible. They are vital to my plan so don't mess it up." he waved the shaman back and then concentrated on the task at hand. Soon he would have the Queen on her knees at his feet and then his revenge could begin. A large grin spread across his face as he continued to ride towards the woods.

Yvain took her turn to guard the encampment and on her relief she made her way down the base of the Eastern entrance. There she was met by her archery commander. “All the archers are trained Majesty and we have a rotation practiced that should be able to hit the secondary ranks of infantry.”

Back in her command post she called Hamerg “I have something important to say to you and any disobedience will be classed as treason and punished.” Hamerg looked curious but Yvain continued “If things go wrong I do NOT want you or anyone else getting any ideas about challenging Alaric to single combat. He is a fine soldier and you will put up a good fight and lose.” Hamerg was not happy but she continued “I …”

As she spoke one of her watchman arrived with a prisoner held at sword point. “Majesty, I found this spy on the road between the forest and the city wall. He was hiding in a pit when the dogs sniffed him out. Shall I pass him to the torturers for interrogation?”

The man was obviously extremely small, future generations might even describe him as a dwarf but he was obviously sent by Alaric on a mission. Turning to him Yvain asked “What is your purpose for being here? What is your mission?

“My name is Dalmata of the Finasta Tribe allied to Lord Alaric. That’s all I’m saying.”

Hamerg stepped forward and was about to strike him round the mouth with his armour gloved hand when Yvain caught his hand “The days of torture are over” she said in a loud whisper “this man is our prisoner and we will treat him with the same respect we would expect Alaric to show anyone he captures from our side.” Hamerg was about to respond when Yvain said “That is not for debate. It’s a ROYAL COMMAND!” Turning to the watchman she said “See that Dalmata is fed and watered, tend his wounds and bring him back here to me.”

There was obvious resentment in the ranks but the orders were carried out. Once the prisoner was returned Yvain rose from her seat and addressed him. “I have a message for you to take to Alaric.” Murmurs in the ranks were silenced by the queen’s glare “Tell him I have no desire to see innocent people die because of a personal argument between him and me. I therefore challenge him to meet me in single combat in Hyam’s Field two days hence.”

“Majesty I must protest” Hamerg interrupted “He’ll kill you.”

“Your protest is noted and I command you accept whatever the outcome is to be. Remember no one has EVER defeated me in single combat but if I do fall I will die without issue. Alaric will be rightfully your new king and you will give him the same honour you gave me. Is that understood?”

“But Majesty” Hamerg came back “he may defeat you and not kill you. You might become his concubine and you have never been with a …” He couldn’t say the word ‘man’.

“Then that will be the will of the gods” Yvain said feeling her curiosity aroused. Holding her hand up she stopped further debate and approached Dalmata “Go and take my message” she said and the man left. Yvain returned to her tent knowing that the next two days would either bring victory, death or pregnancy. She wondered which.

Alaric had ridden at an easy pace towards the woods. He wanted to give his men enough time to surround them as well as get to the cities gates. The Wise men had also come up with a way of reducing the time needed to brew the splashing fire. It was only the last few ingredients that made the potions dangerous so inside their wagon they were mixing up the vials right to the stage until they would be unable to add anything more. Killamar assured him they would only need ten minutes to add the last few ingredients and they could be done at the place of ignition as well. This was even better for his plans. He could send 1 vial and 1 priest to each of the four points of the compass, maybe keep two with him as it would be the most dangerous spot and at the last moment blow a large war horn. Minutes later and the woods would be engulfed in flames.

He was almost within sight of his goal when one of his forward scouts brought in a curious sight. He recognized the man next to him as Dalmata, although he was the cleanest he had even seen him. He was also far from where he was supposed to be. If he remembered correctly the Finasta tribe was supposed to be surrounding the woods or on it's way to the city. "Report Dalmata. What brings you here looking so clean as well?"
The man grimaced and looked down at himself. "I was captured by those bloody Crowdaz bastards wasn't I. They use dogs the cheat'n bastards, so they found my hide. Saw your Queen Chief and she is a looker right enough but soft. Stopped 'em torturing me and had me cleaned up and brought back to her. Cleaned up," he yelled, "That was torture enough. Still seems like she does have some backbone in her. She wants to go one on one with you at some place called Hyam's field. Guess you know the place because she gave me no directions. Said to meet her in two days, winner takes all." He chuckled "Her generals and such didn't like it. Said she had never lost a fight but what if she lost to you," he gave Alaric a knowing smile.

Alaric waved the man off and sat and thought. It was a risky plan on her behalf but also brave. She still thought she had the advantage and she was willing to do this for her people. Maybe the girl had grown up but he was not going to let her off so easily or let her dictate the terms. He was going to show her just how badly she had underestimated him and show her generals that this was there only option.

"We continue to ride for the woods but now we stop a little further away and spread out. I want them to see how many of us there are. The original plan still stays the same." As the column began to move off again he rode back to the priests wagon. "Killamar I still want the priests to ride for the other tribes when we get there with their escort but the orders have changed a little. There will be two hornblasts. On the first the tribe is to reveal itself and spread out just out of bow range. If the attack goes ahead there will be a second long blast. However if the Queen agrees to the duel there will be several short blasts. Don't light the vial but pack it away in a straw box and make your way back here with the tribe to witness the duel." Killamar and the Priests nodded and he left to take his place at the head of his army again. He would see the woods in a half hour and then the fun could begin.

Most of the afternoon and evening Yvain and her army practiced with swords and spears while the archers fine-tuned their bows and sharpened their arrows.

In the morning the queen went for prayers and was about to call her council together when a watchman entered her tent. “Majesty … the enemy are just one a half bow shot distance from the south of the woods. They have encamped there and I can see Alaric on his horse checking out his infantry. Majesty, I can get close enough to shoot an arrow dipped in poison. I’ll only need one shot”.

“CERTAINLY NOT!” The Queen barked. “My grandfather at the end of the fourth Wymondham war signed a treaty with every other tribe and kingdom agreeing to never use poisoned arrows, blades or spears again. He also negotiated an agreement that before or after battle enemies could negotiate under the protection of a flag of truce, a white flag.” Looking round defying anyone to disagree with her next sentence she continued “I’m going to negotiate with Alaric.”

Shouts and murmurs echoed round the camp but everyone, especially Hamerg knew that when the Queen decided on a course of action she kept it. “Just let me go with you” Hamerg said softly.

“No, I need you to stay here. The Alaric I remember is a chivalrous man unlikely to break an agreement like that. But if he does you will have to lead the people in terms of surrender. Is that understood?” Reluctantly Hamerg nodded.

Yvain removed her armour and made a white flag. Unarmed she rode out in her everyday clothes towards the enemy camp.

When she was about a mile away she saw she was spotted and four horse riders rode out to meet her. One mocked “Come to surrender?” Another made an obscene gesture “You want to know what it’s like to be fucked before you die? Let me show you.” While a third laughed “She wants our master’s cock inside her. She can’t wait until we have won!”

“I have come under the protection of a flag of truce to suggest to your master that he and I fight it out so we can save many lives. Take me to him!” The fourth rider had so far said nothing. Instead he glared at the other three before beckoning Yvain to follow him.

All eyes were on the young beauty as she was led in to the encampment. Once there she was led in to a tent where she waited for a moment before the curtain opened and Alaric entered.

Alaric sat on the simple wooden chair and looked at the woman before him. Yvaine had grown into a fine woman but he could also see she had kept up her military training. She was finely balanced standing there and her body was well toned and muscled. Running a knowing eye over her he could see a few scratches and scars over her but not many and all were shallow. Proof she was good or that her men were making her feel good. Still his old commander would not do that so he assumed the former.

He had dressed in a long robe that covered him from feet to throat so she could see nothing of his body. He would give her no advantages yet. She would only see that he had grown taller, well much taller than the small 14 year old boy she had ruined. Glancing at her escort he raised an eyebrow. "She came alone Chief under a flag of truce. As per your orders we brought any such person to you straight away."
Alaric heard more in Browen's tone and he nodded his head at the man to continue. "What else Browen?"
"I hesitate chief but you asked to be told. The men that rode with me were rude to Queen Yvaine making extremely rude suggestions to her regarding her ahh current state of ahh," he blushed and Alaric waved him to silence. "Oh one only mocked her about surrendering my lord, that was Dirk from Ortooth. It was the other two who did the more vulgar things."
Alaric nodded. The mocking about the surrendering he could forgive. That was natural. The others he would not. He had made it quite clear there was to be no mistreating of prisoners or of any messengers and definitely no crude comments about the Queen. He would have to think up a suitable punishment later. "Thank you Browen. Wait in the corner until I need you to escort the Queen back to her lines."

Alaric turned back to Yvaine. "You are all grown up and a Queen now Yvaine. Still throwing tantrums when things don't go your way," he chuckled. "I guess we are about to find out. My messenger reached me and told me of your plan. You challenge me to a fight and if I win I get your kingdom and everything in it, if I loose I guess my army is supposed to just turn around and go home. Two things wrong with that. One if I lost the army would just get a new chieftain and continue the attack. You really should study the people who are attacking you and their ways before offering such a choice Yvaine. Second you assume I need to take up such a choice. Really I don't. You see I could crush your pitiful army in less than an afternoon. Oh I see the doubt in your eyes my queen," he bowed mockingly from his chair, "But I assure you that it is so. You see but a small part of my army before you."

He paused to allow that to sink in and smiled even wider as her face paled. "Oh I see you have worked out a few things. Yes you are about an even match for me at the moment, but what if I told you this was only about a quarter of the true size of the real force raised against you. Of course I could be bluffing but I will prove it to you. You are hidden neatly in those woods which are most likely booby trapped through out. Your plan was originally to draw us in and have them take most of us out of course. Well mine is this. Right now the whole woods are surrounded and you are trapped inside." He waved and a small runner stepped outside and waved a flag. Seconds later a loud War Horn was heard blasting out. "That was a signal of course. At this moment my troops have now revealed themselves and are lining up to stop any of yours from escaping. At my next command they are going to set the woods alight as am I. You will burn alive trapped inside or be killed by my troops. Oh and right now that pitiful force you have left behind at the city is also under attack by an army the same size as mine. I would be surprised if I do not walk into a city already conquered by the time I get there. So why do I have to fight you Queen Yvaine. I have already won. I can get rid of you and your army now and still have your city without straining myself or loosing too many of my men."

He looked at her and smiled evily. "However it has been said that you have never lost a fight. Let us put that to the test. You have one hour to prepare. Go back to your men and gather your weapons. You are allowed two javelins, a shield, whatever heavy weapon you like, and a dagger. Wear whatever armor you wish and bring one person as your second. We battle until one of us is dead, unconscious or yields. You risk your kingdom, I can only give you a day to get back to your city before the tribes find a new leader if they wish to continue the attack. A better fate than annihilation though. Be prompt though Yvaine or the attack goes ahead as planned. Of course send scouts to confirm my men have you surrounded but any move against them or attempts to break out and we attack. Browen Take the Queen back to her lines. See you in an hour Queen Yvaine."

Alaric watched her go then left for his personal quarters. He had a fight to get ready for.

Yvain arrived back in her camp accompanied by Browen who despite being enemies she thanked. Some of her soldiers drew swords and for a second seemed to be threatening Browen but Yvain stepped in. “Until the battle anyone who harms even a single hair of his head dies. No ifs, no buts, DEATH!” She bowed to her escort who respected her by a salute. “I thank you for your escort. But you know if we meet in battle I shall kill you.”

Bowen bowed his head and said “Correction Majesty. You will try to kill me.” With those words he left.

Yvain called her council and bade them sit. “We are surrounded, our city is under siege and even if I defeat Alaric our camp will be set on fire and many of you, maybe all of you will die.” She stood up clasping her sword, the sword she had used throughout her life. “There is one way I can save you and I’m going to do it now”.

Hamerg and the others stepped forward but the Queen raised her sword “I have failed you. As a princess I was spoilt, selfish and unfair to a young boy who’s duty was to ensure I obeyed my parents. Now you, your women and children and the elderly of our nation face death. Only I can attempt to save you.” Turning to Hamerg she said “Commander I request you accompany me to my rendezvous.

Without armour or a shield and armed only with a sword Yvain arrived with Hamerg at the battle area. Alaric and Browen stepped forward and Yvain said to Hamerg “You will remember Chieftain Alaric from his time under your command. You taught him well.” Hamerg saluted and bowed his head. Looking at Alaric Yvain said slowly “It’s time this was settled.”

As Alaric stepped forward Yvain raised her hand “This war was caused because I as a stupid self-centred girl caused you untold humiliation. Because of this my people face death in a war they have no hand in. There is only one thing I can do to try to stop this.”

Holding her sword in her left hand Yvain knelt on the ground and tilting her head upwards she placed the blade by her neck. “I yield! I YIELD!” There was a hushed silence all round as she continued “Commander Hamerg!” Hamerg stepped forward “Place Lord Alaric’s hand on my sword and help him end my life. Then hail Alaric as your new King and serve him as you served my father.” Shock was all round but Yvain said slowly “What are you afraid of? PROVE YOURSELF TO BE THE GREATEST WARRIOR!”

Alaric was furious. Once again this woman was cheating him of his rights and humiliating him in front of not only his warriors but her own as well. If he killed her now his men would hold him in contempt. While it was a masterful plan that had brought her to her knees, killing an unarmed opponent that you had not fought was a shameful act, even a lifelong enemy. Of course no tribesman would do anything like what she was doing now but that was not the point.

As for her men, they would just resent him even more and he would have to keep an even closer eye on them as there would be more trouble makers among them. He was in a no win situation and the bloody woman knew it as well, hence her last remark. Well two could play at that game.

"So the great and mighty Queen comes to lay her life on the line for her people. Of course she realizes she can not win in a fair fight and finding herself surrounded she does what all women do and takes the easy way out. I completely understand your majesty, after all I knew that talk about you being a superb warrior was just that, talk. You couldn't beat me as a child and you certainly couldn't beat me now. After all that IS why you got rid of me in the first place correct? With me there you couldn't get your own way because I always caught you. I was better than you and once again I have proved that."

Alaric let that sink in as he looked at her with contempt. He had been talking loud enough so all around could hear and his men were nodding in agreement and a few even cheered. "I don't think I am going to let you spoil my victory this way Yvaine. I do not kill weaklings or people that grovel unarmed at my feet unless I have fought them and put them in that position. So you will fight me or you will die by flames. They are your choices. Make one now or we will throw you back into the woods and set them on fire now."

Yvain remained on her knees with her sword against her neck. Unruffled she said “Surely I do not have to remind of the intertribal and interkingdom treaties that were signed at the end of fourth Wymondham war. It was agreed by all parties concerned that at the end of a battle or at the culmination of a war the victors were both morally and physically responsible for the welfare and safety of the conquered peoples. Every tribe and kingdom signed it and it has governed our world ever since. I have surrendered on behalf of myself and my people and if you order your army to burn my army alive you will be guilty of a gross violation of the treaty and unfit to lead these brave warriors.” As she spoke she saw several of Alaric’s men sheath their swords and dismount their horses.

From the corner of her eye Yvain noticed something that was not quite right. One of Alaric’s guard, a member of the Filoinal Tribe a war like people who sought nothing but total domination of every race who stood against them drew near to Alaric. In his hand was dagger which he obviously intended to plunge into Alaric’s back. In one movement Yvain half stood up before summersaulting forward to push the would be assassin to the ground. Some of Alaric’s army thought she was about to attack their leader and drew their swords again and it was only when Yvain held the dagger to the attacker’s throat that anyone realised what was happening. “You really must be more careful about choosing those you trust” she said with sarcasm as she released the attacker to Alaric’s guard. Turning the dagger round so it pointed towards herself she said “I haven’t got all day” as she placed the handle in Alaric’s hands “are you going to kill me or do I have to do it myself?”

Alaric was impressed. He had expected the attack which is why he had placed the man in the party, and he glanced across as Browen carefully slid his war axe under his robe again. The man would not have made it to him but he was not going to diminish Yvaines display. It had actually been impressive. To move from a kneeling position to being able to somersault and disarm the man as quick as that, maybe the rumors had some truth to them. He rubbed his chin and looked at her with new eyes. It would now be impossible to kill her of course, but maybe another arrangement could be reached.

He motioned to his signalman and held up several fingers. Long blasts rang out from several horns and he looked at her. "That Yvaine was the signal for my troops to gather here. I wish almost all of them to be here to witness my decision. You may call forth your army, there will be no fighting this day, you have at least saved your men and your city. As for yourself well we shall see."

He watched her give orders to Hamerg and he calmly returned to the woods. Alaric gave orders and his men formed up behind him in a large mob and began calmly eating rations and sharpening swords as they sat at their ease. A chair was brought for him and Yvaine. He sat and gestured to the other. "You may sit or not as the mood hits you but you can put down that silly knife. I will not kill you until all are present, if I choose to that is."

Her army arrived quickly and arranged themselves across from the horde, but soon more of his army started to arrive from the east and west of the woods swelling his ranks. By the time the last stragglers had finally run in with the priests, his army was four times as large. He could see some of the commanders eyes widen across in her army and even Hamerg gulped slightly at the display. Yvaine tried to look unimpressed but he saw the beads of sweat on her forehead. Alaric motioned Browen forward and gave him a silent order. He rushed off and soon after large men began to appear behind his chair. Finally Browen made his way back to his chair and Killamar was with him. Alaric looked and saw all the sub chieftans were present and he motioned for Hamerg. "My old teacher. Your advice was worthy and honorable. You did what was right and just to a warrior under your command and I thank you for it. Please call the leaders of your troops over. They should learn their fates first hand and the fate of their Queen and city."

He could see Hamerg gulp again but he had not survived this long or led men into battle by being weak. He yelled out names with a voice bred for the battlefield and the commanders came. They lined up and faced him barely containing their anger but knowing they were defeated. Alaric stood still covered in his cloak and turned to Yvaine. "I have accepted the Queens surrender," he began in a booming voice so all but those furthest away could hear him. "The city and all it controls are now under my and as such the tribes control." A great cheer went up from the horde and he let it calm down before he continued. "Those tribes promised riches when we took the city will now not have to loot the place but be given it by the rich and wealthy in the city as well as from the royal treasury. However we must leave enough so we can still rule the place so don't clean me out alright." Huge laughter erupted and again he let it calm down. "This surrender changes a few things. The tribes now have rich fertile lands in their control for the first time in many, many generations. I must speak with the chiefs but some tribes may wish to stay and live here. It will be tough changing lifestyles but I will hear all such requests, although I know many will choose to go home as well. Know this though. This is now tribe land and all are welcome here." Another great yell went up and went on for a great time.

Alaric raised his hands and a steady calm came over the horde. "Now what to do with the people of this land. It is as the queen says, they are a conquered people now and we should not kill them, but shall we do what they did to us and force them from their homes and drive them from their lands into some harsh and unforgiving environment to try to eek out a living. I hear the swamp lands are good or maybe the fire pits." Many of the men laughed and the Queens face paled as did her commanders. Alaric smiled at all of them then turned back to her. "No we will not do that. Look what happened to us. We grew big and strong and came back and took what was ours back. We do not want to make the same mistake. We will keep them were we can see them. We will make them part of our society, part of our tribes and bed them. Soon they will not even exist, there will just be the tribes. That is how we will treat them and that is how we will gain our ultimate victory." Again a huge cheer but he hardly heard it as he was staring straight into Yvaines eyes as they got wider and wider. As the noise died down he pointed at her and yelled. "I will not kill this woman, in fact I claim her as my wife. This is my condition on the terms of surrender. If she decides not to accept then battle will commence right now. Make your choice Queen Yvaine, me or battle."

Yvain realised she was right to sue for peace and thereby gain not only the safety of her people but a reasonable liberty too. Her mind went back to when she was ten years old and her parents had hired a tutor to help her with the feminine side of her nature. Her father had told her that one day she would marry and have children. She recalled her response that day “Father, you know that’s not me, I should have been born a boy.” That attitude had encouraged her parents to send her to the Temple of Ghanala in the hope the virgin priestesses would bring out her girly personality. It was that decision that led to the clash with Alaric and the position everyone was in now. A chain of events had begun which meant she would now have to become a wife and mother and she wondered how she would cope. An even bigger problem was her total inexperience and she wondered how Alaric would treat her virginity.

But first things first, she had one more duty to perform. “My Lord Alaric” it was difficult to utter those words but she knew she would have to get used to it. “I accept your marriage proposal and look forward to becoming your consult.” She then stood and said “I have two more duties to perform as Queen.” There was a murmur in the ranks of both armies. Some of Alaric’s commanders were a little shocked to hear her speak like this but she continued. “You will recall the Priestesses of Ghanala treated you well and even aided your escape. I ask that their Temple be spared and that they remain unmolested. Second, your old Commander Hamerg was also instrumental in your escape and has served my family well. I request he be allowed to retire and live out the rest of his life in peace.”

She knelt before Alaric “I have now carried out my last duty as Queen. I will be obedient to you my husband in all things. If it is your will I will even wear a dress.” There was laughter in both camps at this, even Alaric smiled. Everyone knew Yvain was a total tomboy.

"A dress Yvaine, why that is an excellent idea," began Alaric. Now that she had officially surrendered Yvaine was no longer a Queen and he was going to remind her of that by no longer addressing her as one. "I think the most stunningly beautiful girly dress that can be found in the city should suffice. Of course it must be white as no one can doubt your purity, and if one can not be found then we will just have one made. Your city must have plenty of seamstresses up for the challenge." He smiled as a look of revoltion passed quickly across her face.

"As for the Priestesses of Ghanala, I am surprised you even asked. Then again we are Barbarians aren't we Yvaine and raping is what we do to women." Raising his voice so it was heard by most of his troops he called out, "Tribesman, A condition of surrender has been attached. Yvaine asks that we not touch the Priestesses of Ghanala. I say we were not going to any way. What do you say, Were we going to touch them Yay or Nay?" A huge call of Nay resounded and it was taken up by those at the back as word filtered through as to what was said. "There you have it Yvaine, the savages have spoken, One condition met quite easily," he said with scorn.

"Now for your second one I will be glad to fulfill it although I was going to offer Hamerg a position on my council. I need a trustworthy man from your city to tell me what needs doing in your city, to show me around and who to trust. Of course if the old man wishes to retire that is his right. I will grant him some parcel of land and let the young, strong men do the running of the kingdom."
Hamerg had been going redder and redder in the face at Alaric's words and now he exploded. "Old,Old. I will give you old boy. I was commanding Armies 3 times as large as this pitiful one when you were but an itch in your fathers crotch. I know more about commanding, than you ever will and about the city than you could hope to learn. You could not hope to run it without me. I will show you how to run a city whelp and you better learn well because I will be wanting that land soon."
Alaric smiled where Hamerg could not see him then looked him straight in the eye. "Do not fail me then old man or plot against me or their will be hell to pay."

"Now let's move out. Crowdaz troops in the center of the horde. Yvaine and I are riding in the Vanguard. Commander you are welcome to ride with us. As soon as the city is in sight Yvaine will inform them of her surrender and order the opening of the gates. Pray for your and your men's sakes they obey. Lets move out."

A dress Yvaine, why that is an excellent idea I think the most stunningly beautiful girly dress that can be found in the city should suffice. Of course it must be white as no one can doubt your purity, and if one cannot be found then we will just have one made. Your city must have plenty of seamstresses up for the challenge

Yvain hated the thought of wearing a dress like that. All dresses were cumbersome, heavy and restricted the movement. She found it difficult to walk in one and she recalled how she fought with her parents who always wanted her to wear one at court. But now it seemed she had little choice in the matter.

She was pleased the Priestesses honour was guaranteed and had to laugh at Hamerg’s response Alaric’s offer. For a brief moment she caught Alaric’s eye and for a moment they exchanged the moment of humour.

Soon they were setting out and she rode with Alaric in the Vanguard and she was pleased when Hamerg accepted the invitation to ride with them. News had spread of Yvain’s surrender in and each village they passed through whole families stood to see their new chieftain. Eventually they reached the walls of the city and noticed the gates were firmly locked. From a side door a rider road out with a white flag. Passing through the ranks of soldiers he noticed Hamerg and Yvain sitting in the Vanguard together with another man he recognised vaguely as Alaric. Turning immediately he road back to the small gate and entered. Within minutes the gates opened and the invading army entered.

The Priestesses of Ghanala came to meet the army and one, the high priestess Fiesta came and bowed before Alaric. “It’s good to see you again Sire” she said “so much has happened since you were treated so shamefully. On behalf of my sisters I congratulate you on your forthcoming wedding.” She looked at Yvain and asked “Is it your wish that we take the Lady Yvain and prepare her for marriage and motherhood?”

Those words more than any other revealed to Yvain exactly what she had lost by her foolish headstrong actions back when she was fourteen. Not only was she no longer a queen, soon she would be no longer a maid and she would become a woman before she had ever known what it was like to be a girl.

Her tears began to flow as she looked at her husband to be and recalled that even now she had no idea what he looked like under his robes. If she was to be sent to the temple she knew she would be shown female deportment and etiquette and no doubt measured for her wedding dress. She bowed her head as the question was asked again “Would you like us to prepare the Lady Yvain Sire?”

"Yes Priestess Fiesta take her and prepare her, but there are a few things I wish to talk to you about her training. Please if you will." He gestured to the side out of earshot of everyone and Fiesta followed. "I thank you and the other Sister's for their help in my escape those many years ago Priestess Fiesta but again I would ask a favor. We have different tastes in the tribes and I must admit I do find Yvaine's warrior spirit attractive and do not wish to see it broken. Perhaps if you could teach her what will go on in the bedchamber and what is expected of a wife and mother while not killing that spirit I would be very appreciative. Oh but she is to be dressed in a very nice looking wedding dress but as girly as you can make it if you get my meaning Priestess."
Fiesta smiled and bowed. "It shall be done my lord and I must say you have grown up wise. We are glad we chose correctly that night."

They returned to the group and Alaric looked at Yvaine. "You will go with the Priestess Fiesta and learn what is expected of a wife and mother. It may take some time," he said stroking his chin and the men around him chuckled. "I give you two weeks and then the wedding must take place ready or not. Good luck Priestess you have your work cut out for you. See you in two weeks Yvaine when you will become my wife. Learn your lessons well."

Alaric grabbed her hand and raised it to his lips, kissing it delicately and then vaulted into his saddle and set off for the castle leaving her standing there with the priestess.

Yvain couldn’t help but smile at the irony of the situation. Here she was being returned to the very temple precincts her parents sent her to in the hope she would become a lady. She was always a rebel and although she knew she would have become a woman and a mother there was always a fighting spirit in her.

Once the priestesses had escorted her to the temple area she was shown to her old room. There she looked at the wall under the window and saw the defiant graffiti written when she was determined to be a warrior.

Fiesta allowed her a day to settle in before calling her in to her study. “We have thirteen nights to prepare you for your marriage and to do that I need to know what position you are in now. Have you any sexual experience?” Yvain shook her head “Do you know what happens between a man and a woman in the bedroom?”

“I know the body parts involved and I’ve seen horses and dogs do … do it.” Yvain responded blushing. “And I’ve heard the servant girls talking but I was always more interested in combat practice.”

“Well we’ve been instructed to encourage your warrior spirit because the Chieftain finds it attractive. But you must also learn to be feminine.” She lifted a bell and rang it and woman came into the room. “This is Miranda” Fiesta said “She will explain to you the physical side of marriage” Yvain blushed “and also explain dress codes, deportment etc.” Miranda smiled at Yvain who lowered her eyes. “You will also have an hour a day combat practice. I’ve recommended that you only stop such activities when you are with child. Any questions?” Yvain shook her head “Then I suggest you meet with Miranda in an hour after your combat training.”

In the courtyard waiting for her was member of Alaric’s inner guard. Yvain recognised him by the scar down his left cheek. “I’ve been sent to test you out physically” he said with a smirk “I’ve been used to single combat for over fifteen years and in that time only Alaric has defeated me. So be on your guard.”

“How can I fight you when I do not even possess a weapon?” Yvain challenged.

“Easy” the warrior responded and threw a sword at her feet before drawing his own. The two saluted and then went for each other with no holds barred. Sparks flew as their blades clashed and both came close to injuring the other. Twice Yvain was nearly backed in to the wall and twice her footwork and agility allowed her to escape. After nearly an hour the warrior lunged forward and nearly disarmed Yvain. At the last minute she jumped and somersaulted out of the way before using her right foot to hold her opponent’s sword before tripping him backwards. Disarmed and on his back he quietly said “I yield!” With that Yvain threw her sword down and helped him to his feet. “As you will have noticed our swords were blunt. But I gave everything in the fight. Now I can tell my Master that the rumours about you are true. You are a mighty warrior!”

Yvain saluted him and turned to see Fiesta looking at her. After her midday meal she had her first session with Miranda. Miranda asked “Have you ever had a passionate kiss?” Yvain shook her head “Has a man ever passionately held you? Touched you?” Again she shook her head. Miranda went on to explain what kissing did, foreplay and the actual sex act.

That night a report was sent to Alaric simply saying “This is going to be your greatest challenge. Yvain really is untouched.”

Alaric had spent the day with the other chieftains. Now that the battle was won they wanted to know what the plan was and more importantly what the spoils were. Alaric pointed out that most already had their shares and only those who had agreed to take theirs after they had won the city had still to be given theirs plus every one elses equal share he had promised on capturing the town. Their were grumbles but all agreed this was true. Alaric then discussed with those chieftains if they wished their payment in gold and jewels or in goods. Two quickly claimed the money but two of the older wiser chiefs thought and asked for a more even split. Three quarters goods and a quarter money. Alaric nodded pleased. It was a good deal and he knew what they had in mind. They took goods and things they would need now and had gold and things to trade for next time. After all what was gold useful for on the plains.

He agreed and a bargain was struck. He then turned to the question of any tribesman wanting to stay instead of returning. There were some looks and he realized it may look weak to admit it, so he thought of a way around that. "Very well I will leave that with you to talk over with your tribes. It is a harsh thing I am asking of you I know and very dangerous. Of course you would not want to risk your tribesman without talking to them first, I understand. I mean giving up the life they know and the gods they pray too and are close too. Who knows if they will follow them here. Then having to live among what were considered the enemy until today. It will be very dangerous and any tribe must be almost foolhardy but brave to do it. They would need to learn new skills too, I mean farming, Merchants can you see yourself doing that. I have been king and I was willing to sacrifice myself so the tribes could have this land and once again move freely and trade. I have known this since I was a child though, to suddenly spring it on your tribe. No go back and talk it over I insist, I will hear from you again in a week."

He saw some of the chiefs who he knew had wanted to stay nod their heads in appreciation and a few who had been frowning in scorn suddenly have thoughtful looks on their faces. It might not work but it just may save face for the ones that chose to stay.

The rest of the day he spent with the cities council catching up on what he needed to know. By the end of the day he was exhausted but he knew the shape the kingdom was in. It was fairly good and with an influx of tribesman it would be better. As he received the news about Yvaine from both the priestesses and his guard he grinned. Well it looked like he would have a surprise for her on his wedding night as well. What no one in the tribes knew was that Alaric was a virgin as well. He had made a vow that Yvaine was going to be his first woman and now she was going to be. Oh he had been instructed by his own priestesses and he had probably gone a lot further than Yvaine was going to go. He had learned a lot of secret arts on how to please a woman. He had done everything from kissing, caressing, hugging to other special things. The only thing he had never done was the final act, but he had learned several things about that as well and about how to stave off the final climatic ending. He was looking forward to the day more the Yvaine. There was also one little part of the ceremony that should have everyone gasping. He wrote a note to the Priestess asking for Yvaines measurements so he could have an outfit made for her. He summoned a servant and asked him to deliver it, then retired to bed. It was going to be a long two weeks.

Everyday Yvain was taken for lessons in deportment, dress code and table manners. She was told ale was for the men while light wine was for ladies. She didn’t like that idea. Up until now everyday she had enjoyed a flagon of ale with men, a practice which caused raised eyebrows in royal circle.

By the end of the first week she was fitter than ever but was also being shown little tips on how to wear a dress. The first time she was put into a long dress she tripped over and nearly ripped it and had to be shown the graceful art of lifting it to climb stairs.

On the first day of the second week she was measured for her wedding dress and for something else, she had no idea what. Two days before the wedding it was delivered. Pure white with a special bow attachment that emphasised her cleavage and a special thigh high slit in the skirt designed to show her legs. She hated it but the dressmaker said “Don’t worry, you won’t have it on long. Your husband will rip it off to get to your body. With those words Yvain’s pulse raced and her mouth ran dry with nerves.

Alaric had received Yvain's measurements and had summoned his best leather worker. She had made most of his formal outfits and he had something special in mind for his wedding. He met Jorline in private dismissing everyone from the room and after offering her food and drink he sat facing her. "I need two outfits made and they need to be made by the day before the wedding. I am sorry it is such short notice but you may get any help you need but you can't tell anyone who they are for. I need them to be pure white and form fitting but supple enough to allow fighting in. One is for me so you already have the measurements. The other is for Yvaine," he handed over a sheet with her measurements. "This is very important as it will be a part of the wedding celebrations but I know I can depend on you."

She nodded and departed assuring him it would be done. He sighed and headed off for training. He had been doing so ever since he had heard she was indeed good. He had called all five of his personal guard together and sparred with them individually and then had them attack him together. They never once defeated him or even landed a single blow on him. He was getting a little better, only a week ago they had managed at least a few blows. Maybe he would add another warrior, he would not want to loose his edge.

Yvain continued maintaining her physical fitness not only by combat training but also weights and running. On the night before her wedding High Priestess Fiesta came into her room. After checking all was ready she became serious. “You do know that after tomorrow you are very likely to be pregnant. You are at the pinnacle of your fitness as Alaric is and two fit fertile people coming together are likely to produce healthy children.”

“Will I know? Will it hurt? Will I feel the moment of … of conception?” Yvain was blushing.

“You’ve asked the wrong person, I have less idea than you do. All I do know is that after tomorrow you will have to curtail your physical activity. You will be with child.”

Yvain shook her head “I’m not cut out for marriage or motherhood. I remember warning my parents it wasn’t my nature. Alaric could have had any woman in the kingdom. Why did he want a tomboy?”

“Probably for that very reason. Men are strange creatures he probably sees you as his greatest challenge.” For the next hour the conversation drifted on until Yvain was reminded she had a very busy day in front of her and was advised to try to sleep.

In the morning several of the priestesses woke Yvain, bathed her and in silence shaved her private area. After her bath she was fed and then had her hair curled and built up before being dressed in her pure white bridal gown. Feeling nervous she was brought out and placed in the coronation carriage designed for her ancestors and driven off by the the six white horses to the main temple to meet her husband to be.

Alaric had risen early and had gotten in a few hours of practice by himself. He enjoyed it when he didn't have to hold back and could work at full strength and speed without the fear of hurting anyone. To his guards he was but a blur moving around the small courtyard, but Alaric was fighting precisely and measurably against imagined opponents in his mind. Each stroke was calculated to lead to the next with no wasted effort. Finally he called a halt, and not even breathing heavy he took a bath to rinse away the sweat and then got prepared for his wedding.

He donned the white leather outfit that Jorline had prepared for him. It fit like a glove as was all he had asked for. Over it he put on his best northern bear cloak. He was covered head to foot again, his body hidden from Yvains gaze. He had made sure she had not seen him uncloaked yet. He wanted her to be surprised when the second part of the ceremony started. He handed the parcel with Yvaines leathers and The sharpened dagger to the head of his guard. "Keep that until I call for it, it is crucial so do not fail me." The man nodded and they all left for the ceremony. Alaric was looking forward to the shocks he was going to cause today.

Back