Women of Lit: A Safe Place To Share

Experiencing that now. It's frustrating because one or two sounded okay and might have been worth some effort. But now I'm too weirded out to risk it.

(Nice thread, btw. Been lurking a bit.)
Yep, it never fails. I'm sorry to hear that. Try not to get hung up on the what if's of PMs. "What if I hadn't just been a little brief with this guy because the last 5 guys were obscenely pushing past my stated boundaries?"
It happens.
 I feel like the good ones who are meant to have a positive impact will certainly do so. They'll check on you without ulterior motives or just genuinely try to have a normal conversation. It's okay. You'll get a kind of flow to things, so to speak. And you'll certainly learn the assholes from the kind hearted. It does take a bit of risk on your part, but it's all your decision. You don't get to feel pressured in either direction.

Yep, it never fails. I'm sorry to hear that. Try not to get hung up on the what if's of PMs. "What if I hadn't just been a little brief with this guy because the last 5 guys were obscenely pushing past my stated boundaries?"
It happens.
 I feel like the good ones who are meant to have a positive impact will certainly do so. They'll check on you without ulterior motives or just genuinely try to have a normal conversation. It's okay. You'll get a kind of flow to things, so to speak. And you'll certainly learn the assholes from the kind hearted. It does take a bit of risk on your part, but it's all your decision. You don't get to feel pressured in either direction.
Try not to get too emotionally attached to the people you do connect with, too quickly. This is my problem. As IRL, I fall really quickly for girls I've just met, the girls that message me on here, and seem genuine I also crush on.

I think its a genuine need to feel wanted, it let's me down a lot as I try to see the good in people. But, on here, just IRL they have ulterior motives, or just aren't as serious as you hope/want them to be.

I'm a 76-year-old male. I don't send pictures and I don't request any pictures. I was raised by two parents who taught me good manners and how to treat girls. My mother was a true lady. She not only taught me how to clean house properly, to cook, the proper way to wash and dry clothes. Both of my parents taught me when a girl says no it doesn't mean maybe or yes. They taught me to keep my hands to myself as no girl wants to fight off an octopus. I've only chatted with two women on Lit and that was in regard to being their editor for their stories. I took on their stories but limited my interaction with them to emails in regard to their stories. With my early teaching in mind, I can spot a guy that is a predator or who is fake. I credit my mother for this skill.

My mother also taught me how to sew buttons on and repairs seams and how to iron clothes.

I'm a 76-year-old male. I don't send pictures and I don't request any pictures. I was raised by two parents who taught me good manners and how to treat girls. My mother was a true lady. She not only taught me how to clean house properly, to cook, the proper way to wash and dry clothes. Both of my parents taught me when a girl says no it doesn't mean maybe or yes. They taught me to keep my hands to myself as no girl wants to fight off an octopus. I've only chatted with two women on Lit and that was in regard to being their editor for their stories. I took on their stories but limited my interaction with them to emails in regard to their stories. With my early teaching in mind, I can spot a guy that is a predator or who is fake. I credit my mother for this skill.
This is an excellent example of virtue signalling with a dash of mansplaining, sprinkled with a hint of white knighting.

Why dude? Just why?

You want a fuckin medal?

I am loathe to make generalizations, but it seems to me that the male authors are a better breed than those who have an account just so that they can engage on the forums. I’ve had three authors message me and they’ve all been respectful, focusing on my stories, offering feedback, etc. The creepy ones have never posted a single piece of content.
Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I am loathe to make generalizations, but it seems to me that the male authors are a better breed than those who have an account just so that they can engage on the forums. I’ve had three authors message me and they’ve all been respectful, focusing on my stories, offering feedback, etc. The creepy ones have never posted a single piece of content.
I haven't had much PM's from authors. I only recall one - and I found it a bit weird. Like, why ask me to comment as we had no prior contact and I don't even normally read that category, and he didn't even link to the story he wanted comments on etc.

I have no idea about most of the creepy ones. Probably they aren't authors, but I don't exactly know. And I actually get non-creepy messages from non-authors from time to time. The creepy messages aren't that common anymore, probably because I've only stayed here for friends and it indeed shows in what, how and where I post.

A bit of each, but then Lit has changed since I've been here.
I used to get a lot of PMs and posts on my thread from genuine guys who had polite enquiries and some of the threads were a lot of fun too - I mean crying with laughter fun... these days, not so much.
My writing is sporadic - I can only do it when I have a urge but I've had one or two guys offer helpful advice. One in particular gave me some invaluable grammar tips and I still have a print out of his English lesson! There's the Pink Orchid challenge that's curated by a couple of female writers if you're looking for their feedback.

I suspect when you've got over 1k posts on your profile the creeps don't bother you - they're only interested in jumping at the newbies and I certainly had that happen to me. My reaction was to think how sad and pathetic the PMs were, but just like in RL you can never tell when a saddo will turn nasty. So you know how it is - you regard them with suspicion and go from there.

That's why the few ^^ men-who-can't-read like to post how they're not that kinda guy, without stopping to think about our pov. I've even had a guy at Lit criticise me for being suspicious of men and for crossing roads to avoid them. Fucks sake

Oh there's one gent. Who sneaks into your pm innocuously. Then attempts to get you to read his drivel.
Then...expects a three page report on how his "writing" made you feel.
Anything less than 1500 words, and you are chided and pressed for "better work".

Most cringe interaction yet.

Iykyk.

Oh there's one gent. Who sneaks into your pm innocuously. Then attempts to get you to read his drivel.
Then...expects a three page report on how his "writing" made you feel.
Anything less than 1500 words, and you are chided and pressed for "better work".

Most cringe interaction yet.

Iykyk.
Don't tell me - you have to lie about his very average story and try to find something positive to say just to keep him sweet?

I am loathe to make generalizations,
Hey, you already knew the answer.

I've had poor interactions with authors. Men are men. The ability to string a sentence together has no inherent character building that accompanies it. That said, if you've had some pleasant chats, then that's great! Just, you know...keep following your intuition of not generalizing. The moment you get comfortable & start having expectations of most male authors is when you'll meet the biggest fuck face yet & become disillusioned.

Hey, you already knew the answer.

I've had poor interactions with authors. Men are men. The ability to string a sentence together has no inherent character building that accompanies it. That said, if you've had some pleasant chats, then that's great! Just, you know...keep following your intuition of not generalizing. The moment you get comfortable & start having expectations of most male authors is when you'll meet the biggest fuck face yet & become disillusioned.
Thanks for keeping me grounded 💋

Back