When Fed's fall ~ Ember's Protector {Closed}

She bit her lip but smiled at his laugh.

I... I guess I should go get some sleep.

She turned to walk back inside not that she wanted to. Freedom was terrifying her and she honestly just wanted to be held and which scared her even more. She did not know what to do or to say so she hurried back inside and to the couch where she curled up and closed her eyes to sleep.

Nick sat outside for a little while. He wanted to give Ember her space. He wanted her to be comfortable here. He thought about having such an attractive woman around. It was certainly something he would be able to get used to.

When Nick went back inside he saw Ember curled up on the couch. He wasn't sure why she had not gone into bed, but then he remembered that they had not discussed which room was hers. Of course, she could have picked any one of the bedrooms and he would have cared less. Nick walked over to the couch, picked Ember up in his arms, and carried her up the stairs. When he went into the largest of the extra bedrooms, he extended one arm down to pull down the covers. Then, he laid Ember down in bed.

She woke up a little eyes barely opening as he carried her only to fall back closed maybe just some sort of subconscious defense. Once under the covers she seemed to ball up more as the covers slowly warmed as they enveloped her. Her mind seemed peaceful for now as she slept deeply for the first time in a long time.

Nick covered Ember and then, as he exited the room, he closed the door. He wanted her to sleep....really sleep....knowing that she was not going to be awakened in the middle of the night. Just another thing that a Ember would have to get used to.

He went into his room. He left the door cracked a bit so that he could hear if Ember needed anything. He decided to take a shower. Before climbing into bed. After getting out of the shower, and toweling off, he climbed into bed. He laid awake for a while...thinking of Ember...wondering about her future....before falling asleep.

In the early morning hours her dreams turned dark. She was there in the house they had just gotten to. Nick had answered the door only to have it blast open and Makzim standing there. The way the door blasted back she knew that Nick was dead or nearly dead and Makzim was suddenly there grabbing her arm growling at her before tossing her like a ragdoll to Jacob. She was screaming in her dream and apparently in her sleep as well. Terror held her deep in the nightmare as she laid there struggling as if Jacob was pinning her down. Her nightmare and her physical body seeming on the same page.

Nick jumped from his bed; awakened from a deep sleep. It had been the first good sleep he had in a long time, but screaming woke him up. It was Ember. He grabbed the Glock from his nightstand and ran to her room. He opened the door and saw her sleeping....it was a nightmare. He sat the gun on a table in the hallway and walked quickly to the side of her bed. He shook her lightly...trying to awaken her from her nightmare. Then, he sat her up and held her to him. "Ssshhhh. Relax Ember. It is only a dream...a very bad dream. You are okay. I am here with you."

He was here...

She kept whimpering balling up against him

and you... He...

Without thought she began to suddenly search his chest her hands resting over where her nightmare showed the blood and not seeing any blood or wound again without thought she simply acted and kissed him hugging him close still terrified of her nightmare but her mind slowly registering that it was not real.

Nick held Ember close. He realized she was having a nightmare, and by what she was saying, it was obvious that he had been harmed, or worse, in her bad dream. Nick caressed Ember's back as he held her close. He knew that this would not be the last nightmare that she would have, and he was prepared to see her through each and every one. "It is okay Ember. I am here. He is not. I am here to protect you and make sure nothing happens to you. Just relax. Close your eyes and relax Ember. You are just fine."

Once her mind registered that she had kissed him she froze. Staring at him unsure of what to say or do as her eyes searched his face to see what his reaction was. She bit her lip half ready to run but her arms ignored her and remained hugging him. She was shaking from both fear from the nightmare but there was more. Being held by someone she felt sure would not hurt her was strange and confusing which added to her shaking.

The kiss had surprised Nick, but he tried not to react to it. He did not want Ember to feel that he did not like her doing it. In fact, he did not mind her lips on his at all, but he was pretty certain that the kiss was a reaction to finding out that she had just been dreaming. Nick could feel Ember shaking in his arms. He held her close to him. He kissed Ember's forehead. Nick caressed her back. "Just relax Ember. You are just fine. I am going to take very good care of you."

She smiled a little half glad he had not reacted to the kiss and half worried that he had not. His words and voice as always a comfort as she curled once more against him.

I... I don't know why I... I... I'm sorry.

Nick kissed her cheek as he held her close to him. "There is nothing for you to be sorry about Ember. I am happy to have you here. I am happy to have the opportunity to spend some time with you. I am happy to give you the opportunity to know that you deserve so much better than you have had for the last few years." He kissed her cheeks again, and then he kissed her forehead. His hands caressed her back as her beautiful body leaned into him. His mind drifted for a minute from the fact that he was protecting her to the fact that he had an incredibly beautiful and sexy woman in his arms and pressed to his body. He had to put that thought out of his mind, because he could not have her thinking that he rescued her from what had been her life only to take advantage of her.

So what all is different. Not having Makzim around constantly or Jacob and whoever else he expected me to be with? I want to understand more...

Her eyes searched his as her hand moved to his cheek. She did not understand why she was doing this but it felt safe enough around him and she did not think she could stop her actions in this calm and safe place.

"Ember, the difference now is that you are the one making decisions about your life. It isn't someone else choosing for you. You come and go as you pleases. You wake up one day and decide you want to go away...you go away." Nick looked into Ember's eyes and smiled.

She wondered if this was just more assignment to him as she nodded and remained right there with him. She did not want to let go of him fearing if she did that Makzim would somehow come back.

Tell me more... what is choice in matters such as that like... I... I don't know why I kissed you and that is a little scary. I... I have no idea what to do or think in that way any more.

Nick continued to hold Ember and to caress her back. He could see some confusion on her face. "Ember, choice is doing what you want to do....not what someone else wants you to do, or what someone else orders you to do. That kiss, for instance, was it something that you wanted to do, or was it something that you thought I wanted from you? I have no expectations of you, Ember. Your lips felt wonderful on mine, but i don't expect you to do that unless that is what you really wanted to do."

Honestly I don't know why I did it just that I did. That is kinda scary on its own. I... I am not saying I didn't like it but I... its confusing that it happened.

She smiled a little biting her lip and watched his eyes trying to make sense of all of it.

"Ember, I totally understand that you are going through a tough time right now. Everything is new to you. I just want you to know that I am here to help you. Now, you need to relax and get some sleep." Nick released her and stood up from her bed. "I am right next door. If you need anything, let me know."

Stay in here...

She bit her lip. She wanted him close but had no clear reason why... at least nothing that made any sense.

"Okay, you go to sleep, and I will sleep on the floor next to you. I will be right here for you." Nick wanted to make sure Ember was comfortable and felt secure. He was going to do what she needed him to do for her to relax. He stood over the bed and waited for Ember to lay back in bed. Then, he sat on the floor next to the bed and he took her hand to let her know he was still there for her.

You... you don't have to sleep on the floor.

She moved over leaving room for him she just wanted him close and didn't fully understand why just that it felt safe... comfortable and nice.

Nick hesitated. He wasn't sure what he should do. He knew that she wanted him close, because, at the moment, he was like a security blanket. However, he wasn't sure that he should be in the same bed with her. She was beautiful. She had an incredible body.

She had been through so much over the last few years because of her beauty and her body, that he wasn't sure that it was right for him to be in bed with her. His mind raced. He didn't want to do anything to upset her. He slowly got up off the floor and slid into her bed. He put his back to her...that way he was close to her, but would not do anything in his sleep that he might regret.

She curled up her back to him but knowing he was that close was a great help. Her eyes closed and sleep overtook her again feeling far more peaceful and safe she slept deep through the rest of the night well into the morning. Waking to find that they were curled together at least with his arm around her shoulders under her and her curled against his chest and shoulder.

Nick felt her press her back to his and he could sense that she was relaxed. Before long, her relaxed breathing told Nick that Ember had fallen asleep. He laid awake for a while, the thought of the beautiful woman so close to him...in the same bed. There was something arousing about having her pressing back against him. He tried not to think about that, but it was hard.

After he finally fell asleep, he awoke a couple times during the night to check on Ember. Each time she was in a different position. The last time he awoke, she was facing him. He laid on his side, facing her...looking at her, and fell back to sleep. Later, he sensed he had his arms around her and that she was curled up into him. He didn't open his eyes, and he didn't remove his arms from her. He drifted back to sleep.

Seeing he was still asleep she did not move but took some strange comfort in how they were resting and soon she fell back to sleep with her hand moving in her sleep to rest over his heart. She was safe she was not sure how to react to it but she was safe none the less and that finally seeped into her sleep and she slept deep and happy once more.

Back