What's for dinner?

I am going to try monkfish fillets, baked on a bed of chopped Italian tomatoes, probably with some dried oregano, and topped with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese. And I'll finish it with a chiffonade of fresh basil. Will it work? It should. I'll let you know. :)

I promised to report back: it worked brilliantly. (I suspect that you need really fresh monkfish.) :)

We found super-discounted frozen spiced salmon fillets at GrossOut (Grocery Outlet). Those, and packaged cole slaw with caesar dressing, and a crisp white wine, were happily devoured. Also French bread slices dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, just like them fancy-pants restaurants that charge a whole bunch. This dinner us US$9. We're frugal.

We found super-discounted frozen spiced salmon fillets at GrossOut (Grocery Outlet). Those, and packaged cole slaw with caesar dressing, and a crisp white wine, were happily devoured. Also French bread slices dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, just like them fancy-pants restaurants that charge a whole bunch. This dinner us US$9. We're frugal.

Sounds like my idea of fun. :)

Hey! Same thing here, just minus the onion. Yummo!

Odd how I'd never seen that recipe. I'd be tempted to use Ro*tel instead of the sauces I see in the recipes.

There are big variations in the Mexican Lasagna recipes, but they made me think of my wife's 'chicken enchiladas' which use chicken and cream of mushroom soup in place of the beef and sauces in the lasagna, and frozen green chile for kick.

Was going to be taco/nacho night but the ground beef was frozen.
So instead my daughter made tilapia baked with butter, fresh chive and lemon pepper on some. None on mine because I don't like lemon pepper.
Also mac & cheese which I didn't eat since I'm low carbing.

Tomorrow is taco/nacho night. Taco salad for me.

There are big variations in the Mexican Lasagna recipes, but they made me think of my wife's 'chicken enchiladas' which use chicken and cream of mushroom soup in place of the beef and sauces in the lasagna, and frozen green chile for kick.
I grew up on what a Michigan Methodist mother in suburban Los Angeles called "enchilada casserole". Layers of tortillas, canned refried beans, fried beef burger, chopped onions, and canned enchilada sauce, baked till it moaned.

I have laboriously scratch-made Tuscan lasagna. I have never ever been tempted to make an enchilada casserole. Some endeavors are too unholy. Sorry, Mom.

I grew up on what a Michigan Methodist mother in suburban Los Angeles called "enchilada casserole". Layers of tortillas, canned refried beans, fried beef burger, chopped onions, and canned enchilada sauce, baked till it moaned.

I have laboriously scratch-made Tuscan lasagna. I have never ever been tempted to make an enchilada casserole. Some endeavors are too unholy. Sorry, Mom.

My dad is from Nacimiento, Coahuila , Mexico and we make enchiladas in stacks, not rolled with the same ingredients your mom used (except the beans are homemade and we add cheese).

Last edited:
These are questions I intended to ask much earlier in this thread:

1. Do you prominently position food or recipes in your stories?
2. Does food ever drive the story?
3. Pretty much do you ever try to make readers horny & hungry?

(I think it's good when a story can be fun and a learning experience at the same time.)

I don't usually focus on food in any of my stories. In my latest series there is more talk of food than in any of my others but that's because it's a post apocalyptic story so they're always thinking about and worrying about food.

And in a chapter of Serendipity there's a scene with pie and whipped cream.

And again last night, no tacos and nachos. I've had a cold for a couple days. Add to that I have insomnia so I hadn't slept in a couple days. Around 2 or 3 in the afternoon yesterday I took some cold pills and laid down to nap before I made dinner and sewed and I didn't wake up until 5 am.
So tonight, hopefully barring anything coming up, we're having tacos and nachos! No clue what my one kid home ate for dinner. She's 15 though so she can survive one night if I don't make dinner.
My other kids were all gone. My boys at their girlfriend's houses, my two younger girls, 12 and 14, at my mom's, and my oldest, she's 19, worked last night.

I made steamed broccoli and sautéed chicken then put alfredo sauce over it for lunch yesterday. It was awesome. I used a jarred sauce, Gia Russa, but I add fresh ground pepper and nutmeg.

Dinner was out at a Chinese buffet, also delicious.

I think sex and food are both ways people find comfort so they are a natural pairing but I've never tried to intentionally focus on food in a story.

I made steamed broccoli and sautéed chicken then put alfredo sauce over it for lunch yesterday. It was awesome. I used a jarred sauce, Gia Russa, but I add fresh ground pepper and nutmeg.

Dinner was out at a Chinese buffet, also delicious.

I think sex and food are both ways people find comfort so they are a natural pairing but I've never tried to intentionally focus on food in a story.

I'm gonna kinda copy your broccoli and chicken meal, I'm trying to eat healthier going forward.

I'm gonna kinda copy your broccoli and chicken meal, I'm trying to eat healthier going forward.

It was very filling. I use about an eighth of a teaspoon of nutmeg and the pepper is to taste but I used about 20 turns on the pepper mill. I also had apple slices for dessert.

1. Yes
2. Perhaps not drive, but sometimes it steers
3. Yes

:)

Last night I reconstituted some Shredded Dried Black Fungus and stir-fried that with broccoli florets, thin-sliced carrots, and scallions. I de-fleshed a CostCo roast chicken carcass; got about a half pound. I made up the pack of Dynasty Stir-Fry seasoning and followed its recipe. Always trust recipes on packages; they're designed to showcase the product. Served over black rice, washed down with a light Sonoma County rosé, yum.

My dad is from Nacimiento, Coahuila , Mexico and we make enchiladas in stacks, not rolled with the same ingredients your mom used (except the beans are homemade and we add cheese).
You probably had a few more seasonings, and fresher.

1. More than a little.
2. Sometimes.
3. Not really.

You may have noticed my A TASTE OF INCEST story cycle. Flavors everywhere!

Ian Fleming famously wrote 12 pages on James Bond's dinner but that's a bit much. I can see writing to fascinations. A novelist relative has always been a costume freak and writes detailed dress into her work. Some car and gun freaks slather-on the hardware pr0n. I've been guilty of pushing camera trivia, even outside my photographer series.

Now I'm tempted to resume writing with explicitly food-themed tropes. Watch out.

Slow Cooker Pork Chops with boiled rutabaga and coconut pecan brownies for dessert.

Slow Cooker Pork Chops

Season 4 pork chops with salt and ground black pepper, to taste, and set aside.

Turn the slow cooker on to low and place two tablespoons of butter in the bottom of the slow cooker. Slice one large onion in half lengthwise then in thin slices, and spread in bottom of slow cooker. Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, ¼ cup apple cider, 3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and place the pork chops on top of it all. Pour in 1 cup chicken broth or stock.

Cook on low for four hours then pull the pork chops out and mix 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water then stir into liquid in crock pot to thicken. Serve as a gravy over the pork chops and potatoes if you made potatoes.

I promised to go easy last night but I did that Chinese thang instead. Tonight I took the lazy route I skipped yesterday. Andouille sausages, red potatoes with light sour cream, and cole slaw with a light caesar dressing. A strong non-oaky Russian River chardonnay for the gusto. Girl Scout cookies for dessert FTW!

Large tuna salad w/crumbled boiled eggs an celery added. And a cranberry muffin. No crackers or croutons w/this one

Got a weird combo tonight. People can pick and choose. Chicken Teriyaki sticks, broccoli salad, quinoa salad, tabbouli, Caprese, roasted potatoes and flourless chocolate cake.

Strong scallop chowder, pan-seared veggies, spaghetti squash with hand-grated Romano, with an over-priced-till-discounted red wine cut with orange-mango juice to ease the burn.

Back