What were you like in high school?

Overweight, massively introverted, unable to read social cues, always alone in a crowd, prone to saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, short tempered and self-defensively standoffish. Highest SAT score in my graduating class (that I know of, at least). Not a great combination. Never had a single date in high school.

Made it harder in some ways that in my school, the popular crowd were also brains, so I had them - including cheerleaders - in most of my advanced clases. One of them had the second highest SAT, and everybody thought it was #1 after they all asked around and compared with each other. I overheard them talking about it and what the score was, never bothered to correct them, and they never asked.

I never went to a reunion, I had and have less than zero interest. My wife loves hers, even organized the last one and dragged me to it with her.

I was a star in everything but athletics (but did all right in tennis). By my last year in high school, I already had some movie and modeling credits and headed up several clubs at school. Star of the school musical for the last two years. All-state choir, a theater scholarship to a university (which I didn't use).

Then I went to college and found nearly everyone else was higher on the activities chain than I was, and I had to scratch my way up all over again.

Smartest kid in the class, probably in the whole school, K-12, but it was a very small school. It took college to teach me how many people were smarter. Hung out with the popular boys, so I only wanted the popular girls, who weren’t interested. Wish I’d tried with some of the less popular girls who were.

I was a stoner/jock.
Played football in the fall, wrestling in the winter and track in the spring.
I boxed and did martial arts throughout the year.
I was the person who defended the "nerds and dorks" from everyone else.
I HATE bullying!!!
I still have the school record of 11 out of school suspensions in 1 year.
I slept around and partied way way way too much.
I did have extremely close group of friends.
Unfortunately, I am the only one left alive though.

I entered high school at the age of 13 in 10th grade. I'm kind of a small body and short with a very big afro and dressed in suits everyday. The girls threw themselves one and two at a time

Just like in adulthood, I was an unrepentant underachiever. I liked to party, I didn't like to do work. I did the bare minimum to get by and had as much fun as I could. I didn't excel in sports or academics, but I had some good times, and made friends I'm still close with.

Attended two High Schools, moved to a different country right before my senior year (soooo fun...)

First school:
Very late bloomer - rule bound - wall flower - unnoticed by most of the school and knew it - I even blended in amongst the band geeks

Second school:
Arrived too late to ever be among the "cool guys" but managed to get noticed by one of the cool girls
Was most known/noticable of the band geeks (if that's even a thing?)
This was in Germany so I learned to get drunk

Most importantly, I graduated HS a virgin.

I graduated high school in 1982. I was well-liked, even popular. I wasn't a jock or redneck (I went to school in a small school in Arkansas), but was just a pretty nice guy. I was smart and could have had higher grades if I'd tried harder, and in the last two years, I worked at our campus radio station, the first high school station in Arkansas. My show was the Heavy Metal Kidd show (so cringe now lol) and yeah, it was all the metal and "metal-adjacent" music I could get away with playing. I wasn't a joiner so I was never in any of the academic clubs (oddly the teachers seem to think I was so I'd get called to sit in a class while they were in meetings and was in all of the school club group photos). And while never a vandal, a couple of friends and I knew of a window that couldn't be locked so we'd sneak in and do things like rearrange the contents of teachers' desks (turns out one had OCD and had to take time off for her nerves), and other silly pranks and was never caught. Oh, one more thing; I went to school on the same campus from kindergarten to graduation.

I was a nerd as was my best friend. I was lucky enough to have been "clique-fluid". I could go from group to group without much friction and while not the best-looking guy, dated a lot of different girls. I would even sit with groups of girls instead of my buddies and I fucking paid attention to the things they said. Because of that, girls trusted me and opened up to me, resulting in lots of dates with lots of girls (and pissing off other guys as a result) though it sometimes backfired because I was the "big brother" to several and was often the guy who heard "You'd love my new boyfriend. He's just like you."

My graduating class consisted of 80 kids. As well as I got along with them all, I knew I was different from them but didn't have a word for it. Now I know I was *gasp* a liberal! To this day, out of the ones I'm still in contact with, I'm the only one. In fact I had to pull the plug on my best friend of 45 years when he just popped up one day and began to verbally attack me for creating my "liberal religion of hate" because I dared say and post anti-Trump and anti-MAGA things. I miss him, I honestly do. But I won't put up with being insulted and having my character attacked.

Unlike so many people, I actually miss high school. It was a very formative and fun time for me and three summers spent at a local college academic program I met and made friends with kids from all across the state. I'm still close with many of them. So there you go. As the Heavy Metal Kidd said, "Rock on and rock hard."

Last edited:
I graduated high school in 1982. I was well-liked, even popular. I wasn't a jock or redneck (I went to school in a small school in Arkansas), but was just a pretty nice guy. I was smart and could have had higher grades if I'd tried harder, and in the last two years, I worked at our campus radio station, the first high school station in Arkansas. My show was the Heavy Metal Kidd show (so cringe now lol) and yeah, it was all the metal and "metal-adjacent" music I could get away with playing. I wasn't a joiner so I was never in any of the academic clubs (oddly the teachers seem to think I was so I'd get called to sit in a class while they were in meetings and was in all of the school club group photos). And while never a vandal, a couple of friends and I knew of a window that couldn't be locked so we'd sneak in and do things like rearrange the contents of teachers' desks (turns out one had OCD and had to take time off for her nerves), and other silly pranks and was never caught. Oh, one more thing; I went to school on the same campus from kindergarten to graduation.

I was a nerd as was my best friend. I was lucky enough to have been "clique-fluid". I could go from group to group without much friction and while not the best-looking guy, dated a lot of different girls. I would even sit with groups of girls instead of my buddies and I fucking paid attention to the things they said. Because of that, girls trusted me and opened up to me, resulting in lots of dates with lots of girls (and pissing off other guys as a result) though it sometimes backfired because I was the "big brother" to several and was often the guy who heard "You'd love my new boyfriend. He's just like you."

My graduating class consisted of 80 kids. As well as I got along with them all, I knew I was different from them but didn't have a word for it. Now I know I was *gasp* a liberal! To this day, out of the ones I'm still in contact with, I'm the only one. In fact I had to pull the plug on my best friend of 45 years when he just popped up one day and began to verbally attack me for creating my "liberal religion of hate" because I dared say and post anti-Trump and anti-MAGA things. I miss him, I honestly do. But I won't put up with being insulted and having my character attacked.

Unlike so many people, I actually miss high school. It was a very formative and fun time for me and three summers spent at a local college academic program I met and made friends with kids from all across the state. I'm still close with many of them. So there you go. As the Heavy Metal Kidd said, "Rock on and rock hard."
Read your bio. That, and this post feel familiar. Hope to hear more from you.

I was a solid student, lots of extracurriculars, chummy with almost everybody. Somehow lost my virginity in freshman year to the captain of the varsity cheerleading team on the night she won homecoming queen. Won the battle of the bands my junior year. Took state in problem-solving. Was in the room playing drunk piano when my best friend and my girlfriend, both also drunk, finally confessed their feelings for each other and got it on right there on the sofa behind me.

These are the facts as I lived them. But I can recognize they sound made up. Am I made up?

I was a solid student, lots of extracurriculars, chummy with almost everybody. Somehow lost my virginity in freshman year to the captain of the varsity cheerleading team on the night she won homecoming queen. Won the battle of the bands my junior year. Took state in problem-solving. Was in the room playing drunk piano when my best friend and my girlfriend, both also drunk, finally confessed their feelings for each other and got it on right there on the sofa behind me.

These are the facts as I lived them. But I can recognize they sound made up. Am I made up?
You sort of sound like an AI chat avatar, albeit one who must have been a hoot back in droid school. 😎

I was in theatre and played volleyball. Was social at school but not so much outside of it. We moved to a new area when I was a freshman so I didn’t have any friends right away and kind of kept to myself for the first few months. After classes and everything started to pick up I got friends and had a good time. I never really had a set group I hung out with my school only had 150 kids in our class and everyone kinda got along except a few outcast type kids that I tried to be nice to anyway.

90s raver lol I had bleach blonde dreads 2 eyebrow rings my ears gauged lip and tounge ring. Elephant leg jncos and a hoodie. I would go to one party sell a ton of fake rolls make enough to go to the party I actually wanted to go to after and rent a hotel and do drugs for days. I did get laid ALOT back then lol

I feel I suppressed most of my 4 long short years in high school. I went from being in a private school and only being allowed to talk to girls to going to a public school that had fights, cops on campus, drugs, and sex 24/7.

I was extremely shy, innocent, teachers pet, high honors student who knew someone from every clique but kept to myself mainly.

Looking back I realized a lot of my friendships in high school were toxic and asked someone to take my virginity as a birthday present and that never happened.

I went to a UK boarding school. Would make for several great stories were it not for the no under 18s rule ;-)

It was small, which meant I got to be in plays and school teams without being particularly talented at either. Did get good grades though.

Sadly, it also means my friendship group, which was really tight knit, scattered to the winds afterwards as very few of us were from there. My best friends from those days currently live in Dubai, France and Germany, while I'm in a fourth non-UK country. Never really found another group like it; I guess that's why I seem to be obsessed with groups of friends in my stories.

Back