What was the last book you read?

Just started Umberto Eco's first novel, The Name of the Rose It's a real change of pace from my last novel, the latest installemnt int "The Ladies Number One Detective Agency" series.

Rumple Foreskin :cool:.

A Reacher novel by Lee Child. Now reading the Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. Then I'm gonna read something deep and meaningful. No, really.

Tutanhamen by Christiane Desroches-Noblecourt, Double Day, 1065.

I've read this before, but it was several years ago.

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo

A complex and noir murder mystery with an alcoholic anti-hero.

The Law - Frederic Bastiat

Amazing read. If you believe in freedom, this one is a must.

The Mark of the Assassin - Daniel Silva

A sexy modern day spy thriller somewhat in the mode of Ian Fleming's James Bond books (all of them are great reads. If you have not read the Bond books I highly recommend doing so)

Let the Great World Spin--Colum McCann
I picked this up at the university library, loved it, and it's the only book I've bought for kindle for actual money.

Physical book: Ubuntu Linux Bible
Digital book: Avalon

"Spook" by Mary Roach

A tremendously skillful writer who can convey technical information about complex subjects (in this case, ghosts, the soul, the potential for an afterlife) in an understandable and hugely entertaining fashion. She is glib, skeptical without being cynical, and laugh out loud funny. One of our most gifted American writers.

Just finished Shogun by James Clavell

I hope you enjoyed it; I thought it was damned good.

Centurion, by Simon Scarrow.

Over the last few years there has been a certain betterment (I almost wrote 'improvement') in the historical backdrop of some stories. This author is an expert on ancient Rome and it's legions.
And it shows.

mynameisben said:
Where the Wild Things Are – Maurice Sendak

You are a bad boy, Ben. We will eat you up we love you so. :devil:

HP, is that the novel which is quite similar to Rosemary Sutcliffe's Eagle of the Ninth? I read a review of a good Roman novel recently in the Shropshire Review, I'll try to find it.

I'm still reading The Iliad, although I did finish Batman, and now I expect to spend a long time looking through the pages of the Kitchenaid Cookbook which has a lot of recipes which are much easier to make without a Kitchenaid but who cares, they look delicious.

A Good Man - Guy Vanderhaege

I'd recommend the whole trilogy (The Englishman's Boy; The Last Crossing). Very well-written border stories (geographic - Canadian/American West; chronological - 19th-20th centuries; cultural - British/Canadian/American/First Nations), with a very real sense of the history.

Just read a story called "Classy Conversions" on Storiesonline by Irish Writer. Could have used a good editor but looking beyond that, what a disturbing story. Addresses a highly unlikely future, but certainly offers a view of what mankind is capable of doing. Certainly not for the weak of stomach.

Just read a story called "Classy Conversions" on Storiesonline by Irish Writer. Could have used a good editor but looking beyond that, what a disturbing story. Addresses a highly unlikely future, but certainly offers a view of what mankind is capable of doing. Certainly not for the weak of stomach.

"Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts"

(Bertolt Brecht, "What Keeps Mankind Alive")

The Jefferson Code by Steve Berry
Modern adventures with serious historical involvement ala Dan Brown but much, much better.

wow!

"Spook" by Mary Roach

A tremendously skillful writer who can convey technical information about complex subjects (in this case, ghosts, the soul, the potential for an afterlife) in an understandable and hugely entertaining fashion. She is glib, skeptical without being cynical, and laugh out loud funny. One of our most gifted American writers.

Lia, I absolutely adore Mary Roach!! I haven't read Spook, but I loved Stiffs, Bonk, and Packing for Mars. I have Gulp, her new one, out now. Hurray for science :)

currently

Right now I'm gobbling up In the Woods by Tana French. The first in the Dublin Murder Squad series, and I don't usually go for mysteries at all, but these are surprisingly lyrical, layered, and striking. Highly recommend it. Before that it was Follett's Pillars of the Earth. And next I'm re-reading The Hobbit. First time since I was all of 8 years old. Happy reading and other pursuits of whatever repute, geeky friends.

Yours with Bourbon and Ginger Ale, Meghan

Back