What was the last book you read?

Great reads Cloudy! I look forward to exploring them also.

I just finished The Gospel of Judas Simon Mawer

As a thriller, as a love story, as a rich and dazzling novel of ideas, The Gospel of Judas succeeds and satisfies. It also surprises…

A Roman Catholic priest experiences a crisis of faith—at the same time that he finds himself attracted to a married woman. A scroll is discovered near Jerusalem that, if authentic, could open Christianity to a complete reinterpretation. A dangerous passion ignites and secretly smolders in Fascist-dominated Rome during World War II. These and other brilliant threads are woven into a magnificent literary entertainment—a novel that resonates with tales of love and betrayal as it deals profoundly with questions of faith, identity, individual responsibility, and what it means to believe.

I found it very intriguing because of the layers of rich developing three plot writing and the symbols used in the write. Having not read The Da Vinci Code omg lol... I think this is right up there with the intrigue laced with revelations of the self.

The next I recommend is Life of Pi Yann Martel

masterful on so many levels a must read.... go to the link to learn more.

finally Delta of Venus Anais Nin

one of my favorite writers... read for the sexual intrigue.. read to learn about descriptions... read to learn about how to develop a character or just read to read!!!

those are my latest reads...
love those books
du lac~

Anyone have a recommendation on the era between 1725 and 1800 in the US?

Books between 1750 - 1800

Classic fiction: THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS - James Fenimore Cooper
It's not too bad and it has some interesting screwups if you know where to look.

Classic History: An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution - Charles A Beard
This is the first book to look at the economic motives of the framers of the Constitution, rather than their political philosophy. It was pretty contraversial stuff when published.

Cooper wrote five Leatherstocking novels: The Pioneers, The Last of the Mohicans, The Prairie, The Pathfinder, The Deerslayer.

Not a bad series to read. Somewhat stilted for modern taste, and at times too romantic -- the romantic "style", not romance. Very nicely developed female characters :)

To accompany me on a vacation to the United Kingdom, I bought Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. Great company. He is insightful, droll, observant, and sarcastic. A wonderful writer and an admitted, but critical, Anglophile.

I am currently reading In Favor of the Sensitive Man and Other Essays by Anais Nin and it's amazing so far. However, I finished Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden not too long ago.

Hit Man, Hit Parade, and Hit List by Lawrence Block. Quick and interesting summer reads about a sympathetic, career hit man. Well written as is everything by Block.

"Toodle-oo Caribou" by Snoopy [original version, not the inferior copy by Charles Shultz.] A work of incredible depth.

R. Richard said:
"Toodle-oo Caribou" by Snoopy [original version, not the inferior copy by Charles Shultz.] A work of incredible depth.
Snoopy wrote a fuckin' book?? What?? I'll have to check that out.

Last book I read was some shit called "Autumn" by some lame asshole. I've never read a book with typos in it before. It is the first part of a series, which I did not know when I bought it. I don't think I'll finish it out.

EVOLVING THE MIND: On the Nature of Matter and the Origin of Consciousness by Alexander Graham Cairns-Smith.

Lots of chemistry and physics and brain physiology. The bottom-line is: Consciousness evolved so we can experience feelings AND our consciousness is so limited we mostly make shit up as we go along in case someone demands to know what in the fuck we were thinking when we did whatever we did. Our whole conscious existence is one big confabulation.

Regrettably, the last book I actually read was "Eastern European Steel Producers: Estimated Production Volumes and Costs by Type and Country 2007-2012," which I can't really recommend.

The last book I read because I wanted to (ok, because my wife recommended it and I'm a willing husband) was "Black Man" by Richard Morgan, which has made me want to read more science fiction, something that, previously, would for me have been an activity to be located in the non-consent/reluctance section.

H

glynndah said:
Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

The wife is re-reading several of his books including the above, and 'Magical thoghts'.

I just finished a very old P D James - one of the Adam Dalgleish series, set back in the 60's which made it an interesting read culture wise, monetary value and language.

Currently trying to work my way through the 5th Harry Potter...the thing is enormous, the size of 2 normal books plus. It's hard enough holding it, let alone reading it. But, I am assured by Mat Jr. that it's worth it. I was trying to read it before watching the last movie, but he assures me again that there's so much they have to leave out of the book, that it matters not if I read it first, it is still a 'jolly good romp'.

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows. It wasn't exactly high art, but a thoroughly enjoyable read. It was the first time I've read something I just couldn't put down in a long time, and it felt good to do my speed reading thing again.

Fuck The Ride - Dave Courtney.

Tells it like it is through his eyes as a gangster. (proper gangster - not the bullshit kind)

Just finished American Gods, by Neil Gaiman - loved it.

Now working on Aztec Blood, by Gary Jennings. He has an entire series that begins just before the conquest by Cortez and continues through the conquest and colonization of "New Spain." Wonderful historical storytelling.

cloudy said:
Just finished American Gods, by Neil Gaiman - loved it.

Now working on Aztec Blood, by Gary Jennings. He has an entire series that begins just before the conquest by Cortez and continues through the conquest and colonization of "New Spain." Wonderful historical storytelling.

Bought some Giaman recently, but haven't gotten around to reading him. *sigh*

I love Jennings' work, though. I've read all the Aztec books, plus the one about Marco Polo. Good stuff.

impressive said:
Bought some Giaman recently, but haven't gotten around to reading him. *sigh*

I love Jennings' work, though. I've read all the Aztec books, plus the one about Marco Polo. Good stuff.

Have you read his book Raptor? I read it years ago, and plan on rereading soon. Really interesting storyline about a hermaphrodite in the 4th century.

cloudy said:
Have you read his book Raptor? I read it years ago, and plan on rereading soon. Really interesting storyline about a hermaphrodite in the 4th century.

I sounds familiar, but I don't recall. (Must not've made a big impression on me if I did read it, huh?)

cloudy said:

You may enjoy Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. It was an amazing book.

The book I don't think I'm going to be able to finish is Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I'm finding it difficult to get into - dialogue is wooden, the plot gets dumped onto the page rather than woven into the storyline and the narrative style is blecht.

For now, I'm reading (and enjoying) Orphan's Tale: Tales from the Night Garden by Catherine Valente (sp) - it's sort of like 1001 nights with a young orphan spinning tales and stories. It's beautifully written.

The only book I have got around to reading any of lately and I can go back and forth in the book where I want is the complete tales and poems of edgar allan poe.

Recently finished Lord Kalvan Of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper.

I am currently switching back and forth between Vortex by Larry Bond and The Great Unravelling by Paul Krugman.

Back