What Lies Beneath (closed)

Listening to Katie as he rubbed Ellie's neck, Kevin felt good about his decision to come back to Colorado. He was happy to be back with Ellie, but he was really happy to be back with Katie. It just felt like the right place to be. He had grown attached to her as she had nursed him back to health.

He didn't care about having to sleep on the sofa for the time being. He was just happy to be back on the ranch. Kevin wanted to do whatever he could to help Katie around the ranch and to get her business up and running again. He knew she hadn't spent the money. If she had, the barn would be much bigger and her business would be booming. He should have known Katie wouldn't use the money. Kevin wished she wasn't so stubborn."

"Sure, I am up to it. An early dinner sounds great. It will be good to sit and relax and catch up with what has been going around here while I was gone. Also, I can fill you in on what it was like in New Mexico." Kevin patted Ellie's head. She nudged him with her head; almost as if to say that she did not want him to stop rubbing her neck. "Don't worry girl. I am going to be around for a while... as long as Katie will let me stay."

Following Katie into the house, he couldn't help but let his eyes wander over her ass. It looked perfect even in a pair of work jeans. Once inside the house, Kevin looked around and saw that everything was the same as before he left. "Okay, so, tell me what I can do to help with dinner. I didn't bring anything with me, unfortunately, but I will make sure to restock the refrigerator and the pantry. For now, I will be your sous chef, so, tell me what you want me to do."

"My sous chef?" Katie repeated as she gave him a small smile, "You'll do whatever I tell you to do?"

She saw the look on his face and thought she saw something flash across his face... it might have been nothing so she just brushed it off, "OK, well... how about spaghetti? I haven't been shopping and I think I have what's needed for a decent spaghetti dinner."

Once inside, Katie went to her room to change. She had wanted to clean up a bit before starting dinner...with the help of Kevin of course. She had changed into some comfy clothes before heading to the kitchen. She got out some ground beef, a can of crushed tomatoes and started on the sauce. She had Kevin start on the noodles before asking him to get out some lettuce for a side salad.

Soon, they had a simple but plentiful dinner in front of them.

They ate in silence for a few minutes before Katie spoke up, "About the business..." she sighed, "I have put it on hold... I think I did it because I didn't think I could do it without you here. I hadn't realized how much I had relied on you for a lot... I also think I'm scared to get it up and going again."

When Katie told him that he would do whatever she told him to do, Kevin stopped. For a moment he had wondered if Katie was up to something. Was she going to do something because of what had happened to her? Then he saw her smile and continued to follow her into the house.

He watched Katie walk to her room and close the door behind her. Kevin walked into the kitchen to await the "orders" from Katie. When she walked into the kitchen, he couldn't help but let his eyes wander over her as she returned in much more comfortable attire. Yes, no matter what she was wearing, Katie was very easy on the eyes. Seeing her again, reminded Kevin of just how attracted to her he had become during his time at the ranch.

Sitting across from Katie, Kevin ate quietly. He had a lot on his mind, but he wanted Katie to be the one to break the silence. She was the one who had been impacted most by the events surrounding his fallout with Ianucci.

When she started talking about putting the business on hold, he simply listened. He did not want to interrupt her. Kevin heard her say that she had relied on him and that she was scared.

When Katie stopped and looked down at her food, it was Kevin's opportunity to respond. "Katie, I am here for you. I didn't come back here for anything but you. I will do whatever you need me to do. However, here is what is important. We need to work together to get you over the fear. You deserve to have the business that you had started. When I watched you working with the horses, it was amazing. That is where you belong. You NEED to get your business back, and grow it into something that is like no other. I know you can do it, and I will do anything and everything to help you make it happen."

The one thing that he didn't mention was the money from Ianucci. He would wait on that for a while.. or until Katie brought it up.

"Thank you Kevin... I appreciate it.." she said before taking a bite of the food. She hadn't eaten much lately and tonight was no different. She made herself eat knowing she needed it.. besides, with Kevin here, she relaxed a bit more and enjoyed her food a little more.

They talked a little more about what needed to be done but Katie kept away from what would be able to get all this done... the money. Yes, she still had the check but just hadn't used it yet.

"I really would like to extend the barn again.. to hold at least 15 horses total, along with a shed to hold the tackle... there's just so much to do." Her voice had a bit more life in it as she talked about the barn she'd want for the horses.

"Are you willing to stay Kevin? Can you stay and help me?" She asked, surprised by her own question. She hadn't expected to ask him even though he had offered earlier that he would help...

he listened to Katie and the plans that she had for getting her business back. Once again, he thought of the money from Ianucci and how that would help her do what she wanted, but he was not going to bring that subject up. That was up to Katie.

"Katie, I came back here to help you. Yes, I will stay and help you. I will do whatever you want me to do to help get your business back on its feet. I realize there is a lot to do and I will do anything you want me to do."

He looked across the table at her; staring right into her eyes. He had almost forgotten how beautiful she was.... almost. He would do anything for Katie after what she had done for him.

"So Katie, how do we get this business up and running? How do we go about extending the barn and building the shed for the tackle? I will be your manual labor and do everything I am capable of doing. All you have to do is point me in the right direction."

His mind raced. He wanted to get up and hug Katie. He wanted her to know that he was totally committed to whatever her vision was, and that he would giver her 100% to make sure that she was successful in bringing the horses back to the ranch.

"Well..." Katie thought about it for a minute before getting up from the table and going to the living area. She grabbed a notebook she had been doodling in during her quiet time before bed. Coming back in and moving the chair she had been sitting in and dragged it over and next to Kevin. She took a seat and opened the book, "I've been drawing up some ideas I've had of how I want the barn to look." She had at least 5 different pages of 5 different designs.

She let Kevin look through it as she moved her plate to her, and took a small bite of dinner. When she saw he looked at all 5 designs, she took a sip of water and then spoke, "So what do you think? I know the last one is a bit ambitious but, if push comes to shove, I think it's doable."

With that, she told him about how many horses she had thought of bringing in... what sort of additional help she might need. Yes, it was a lot to say and it had been a lot to think about but since the fire, time was what she had a lot of.

"I still have the check also..." she told him and thought about the time he had given it to her, "I know I was a jerk for acting the way I did but I just wasn't sure how to act or what to say, Kevin. But, I've had time to think about it and you're right, I want my business back."

Looking over the designs that Katie showed him, Kevin was impressed with the large scale of her plans. It made him think she was considering using the money from Ianucci, but she made no mention of it, so, maybe she had other ideas for how to fund the expansion of the barn.

"Yes, Katie, they are very ambitious and I am excited to help you with whichever one you decide to go with. I must say, though, if you are going to do it, you should go with the last one. If we are going to work on this together, it should be the biggest one... the one that will enable you to expand your business and make it exactly what you want it to be."

Kevin listened to Katie talking about how many horses that she wanted to bring in. He was excited to hear that Katie was looking to go big. She wasn t looking to grow over time. She wanted to hit it out of the park right from the beginning, and Kevin was anxious to help her do it. She deserved the best.

He was shocked to hear that she was thinking about using the check. He was also very happy to hear it. "Katie, that money is yours. He has no idea where the money went. He put it in my account, and all he could ever find out is that I withdrew the money. It is yours to use to rebuild your business." He paused for a second. "I'll be happy to help you spend it...... on the business."

Katie didn't say anything in response. She was a bit speechless at the moment. It was a lot to take in. She didn't think she'd get to this point and just the thought of it becoming doable, she was getting excited in spite of herself.

Leaning her head on her hand, she sighed contently and lazily flipped through the designs, "I am glad you're back Kevin.. I missed you a lot. I truly did regret how things ended last time." Katie realized how close they were and she didn't flinch or move away, but felt comfortable with where they were at. There was a lot of food left and she hadn't eaten much of what was on her plate.

"I guess I should eat... are you tired? Did you want to have some more?"

Watching as Katie flipped through the designs, Kevin knew that he made the right decision to return to Colorado. Yes, he was back in Ianucci territory, but that was okay. He was back around Katie too, and it felt so right.

He listened to her talk about how she was glad he was back and that she regretted how things ended the last time. "Katie, that is in the past. Let's not worry about that. Let's not dwell on that. I am back, and I am going to stay as long as you want me to stay. I am here to help you get your business back on its feet and to build it into the business that you want. You are so good with the horses that people are going to be knocking down your door to do business with you."

Leaning over, Kevin tapped Katie's head with his and looked into her eyes. "You are great. Your business will be great. I think we will be great together..... building whichever barn you want. Can we make sure there is a bedroom upstairs for me though. Sleeping on the couch will get old after a while." He smiled at Katie, and when he saw her smile a little, he laughed a little.

"Yes, you definitely should eat Katie. How are you going to have the strength to build the barn and grow your business if you don't nourish your body. Of course, that body is pretty nice just the way it is." It came out without Kevin thinking, and, as soon as he said it, he wished he could take it back. Despite the way he felt about Katie, saying something like that crossed a line that had been established between them up to that point.

Kevin tried to move on from it by continuing to talk. "No, I don't want anymore.... food." That probably didn't help move the conversation away from what he had said. So, Kevin decided that it was just time to shut up.

Katie blushed when she heard Kevin said that her body was pretty nice. Why did she blush? She was sure Kevin could tell. It had a been a long time since anyone complimented her looks, let alone, her body. Sure, her Ex said it at the beginning of their marriage...after that? Nothing.

She was sure there was a shock of something when his head touched hers. It made her heart flutter...why? Probably because she had become reliant on his presence everyday. And then he had suddenly left, she had felt off... she moved through her days without emotion. She found she hadn't been talking as much and even Chance seemed to notice...

Chance. He hadn't left Kevin's side since returning. Crazy dog...but again, it made Katie realize that they had all missed Kevin.

Taking a few more bites of dinner, Katie pushed her plate away. She stood, "Let me get you some blankets and a pillow... I'm not sure if you're tired but I was thinking we could watch something on TV since it's still sort of early, again, only if you're up to it." She turned to go to the linen closet where she pulled out a couple of blankets and an extra pillow.

It felt so good to be back. Being around Katie felt so good. He enjoyed her company a great deal. Just sitting here with her at the table made him feel good. He was going to enjoy helping Katie get her business up and running again, and growing it into something special.

"I would love to watch some television with you as long as you choose what we watch. I really don't care what you put on."

As Katie got up from the table and went to the linen closet. Kevin cleared the table and cleaned up after dinner. Once everything was put away and the dishes were all cleaned, Kevin went into the living room where Katie was setting up the couch.

"Listen, I am going to take Chance out and go check on the horses before we get too comfy on the couch. I am pretty sure that once I settle in the re with you that I am not going to want to get up."

Calling for Chance, Kevin headed outside. Chance went off to do his business as Kevin headed to the barn. Looking inside, he saw Ellie standing there. It was almost like she knew he was coming. He rubbed her neck and touched his head to hers. "I'll be right back to you. Let me check on the others first."

Kevin walked over to Duke. The horse just stared at him. "You are going to have to get your shit together. You might be stubborn, but you have no idea how stubborn I can be, and I am pretty certain that Katie is more stubborn than me. So, your stubbornness is just delaying the inevitable. So, just comply." Duke continued to stare... Kevin just nodded.

Heading back to Ellie, Kevin just rubbed her neck and rested his head against hers. "It is good to be back Ellie. I missed you." Just then Chance came into the barn and sat next to Kevin. "Yes, I missed you too boy. However, the one I missed the most is waiting inside for me to watch television, so, I better get going." Rubbing her head as he started away, "I will see you in the morning Ellie."

Chance and Kevin headed back inside. Kevin locked the door after entering. He moved to the couch and sat down next to Katie. "Okay, so what will it be? What are we going to watch on television tonight?"

As Katie got things ready, she took her time looking over her small collection of movies. She never really had time to watch anything and when she did, she had preferred something lighthearted and funny. Or action...

Finally, she picked one out and got it set up while she waited for Kevin. Before sitting down, she grabbed herself and Kevin some lemon water. When he returned and asked what she had picked, she smiled and shrugged, "It's a surprise." It was really just a no name action film she had gotten as a gift from her brother. It was one she hadn't seen but had heard good reviews from what she read on the cover. "I mean, it's a surprise for me also."

Chance settled between them on the floor as the movie started. Katie was into it somewhat but her mind was on what she and Kevin had talked about over dinner....about her re-starting her business. Yes, it was scary but she knew she could do it. She just had lingering thoughts about what had happened this past year with things. But try as she might, she couldn't put the thought of someone like Ianucci returning to hunt down Kevin again. Hopefully he would stay away. She had warned the Sheriff about him and he had said he would kept an eye out and let her know if someone like him or his men showed up in town. So far, no news was good news.

About 30 minutes into the movie. Katie could feel herself finally getting tired. She hadn't slept well lately and today was finally going to do her in. She hadn't realized what she was doing as she leaned her head on Kevin's shoulder and closed her eyes. She would listen to the movie...

Kevin sat next to Katie on the sofa as the movie started. "So, it is a surprise for both of us. Well, that is good. We are being surprised together." He smiled at Katie and patted her on the knee.

The movie had a great cast, which probably got it some really good reviews. It was a mild action movie, which Kevin was surprised Katie chose considering everything that they had been through with Ianucci and all of that nonsense, but Kevin didn't mind. After all, wasn't there a saying something about art imitating life.... or was it life imitated art? Well, whatever, he tried not to overthink it and just enjoy the movie and his time with Katie.

Katie was quiet throughout the movie. Kevin wondered what was going through her mind. He wondered if she had any fear of Ianucci returning. The funny thing was, Kevin had no concerns about the mob boss. His half-assed plan with the FBI seemed like it worked, and, hell, Ianucci had been willing to part with a half-million dollars to keep Kevin from saying any more to the feds. Although a $500,000 was not really a big deal to his bank account, Ianucci wouldn't have done it if he didn't think Kevin had more info to share with the FBI.

It wasn't that far into the movie when Kevin felt Katie's head on his shoulder. He looked over at her and saw that her eyes were closed. A moment later, Kevin noticed Katie's breathing slow. He realized that she was asleep. He smiled to himself. It felt good to have Katie close to him. Kevin continued to watch the movie. It was okay, nothing special.

Once the movie was over, Kevin did not want to wake Katie. He slid out from next to her and laid her down on the sofa; putting a pillow under her head and covering her with a blanket. Kevin sat down on the floor with Chance. After petting him for a few minutes, Kevin laid down next to him. The last thing he remembered before going to sleep was putting his head on Chance and using him as a pillow.

Katie hadn't had a good night's sleep in a long time... She was still in between the sleeping and waking up stages. Stretching, it took a few more minutes to realize she was on the couch!

Sitting up, she look around and noticed immediately Kevin wasn't around. Did he leave? No, he seemed so intent on staying when they were talking last night. It was then, she heard a loud thump and Chance was sitting up as if appeared from no where. It was then she noticed Kevin on the floor, rubbing the back of his head.

A wave of relief washed through her lay back down on the couch and leaned over him, "You could've waken me, you know that?" With that, she threw the blanket she had over her onto him and then the pillow, making her laugh a little. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize how tired I was... but seriously, you could have woken me."

"What are you sorry about? You were tired. You fell asleep. There was no way I was going to wake you up. I was fine on the floor. I used Chance for a pillow for a while until he got tired of me leaning on him.

Kevin tossed the blanket back at Katie. Then, he stood up and hit her in the face with the pillow. he laughed at her and then did it again. "I guess it isn't fair to have a pillow fight if I am the only one that has a pillow." He then tossed the pillow to Katie and smiled at her.

"Okay, what would you like for breakfast? I am going to make a pot of coffee while you think about it, but you are going to have to come out to the kitchen to give me your breakfast order. Either that, or you will have to wait until I deliver your coffee to you."

Heading into the kitchen Kevin made a large pot of coffee. He didn't sleep all that great on the floor, so he was going to need the caffeine to keep him going today... his first day back on the ranch. Once the coffee was made, and with Katie still not having come out to give him her breakfast order, he poured her a cup of coffee and headed back into the living room. Chance was laying on the floor at Katie's feet.

"So, I guess you are expecting to be totally waited on today. I sleep on the floor and am still able to get up and make coffee and prepare to make your breakfast, and here you are still sitting on the couch with your guard dog at your feet. I don't think that this works for me. I came back here to help you with the ranch, not to be your man-servant." He smiled and laughed at Katie. After sitting the coffee on the table, he rubbed Chance's ears and then leaned over and kissed Katie on the cheek.

"Liar..." Katie teased, "you didn't look too comfortable.." that's when he hit her with the pillow. Katie laughed and tried to block the next hit but she failed miserably.

What did she want for breakfast? She hadn't had much of an appetite these past few weeks but now, she was hungry...

Not for food...right Katie? her mind screamed.

She shook those thoughts out of her head and stood as she tossed the blanket and pillow over the small chair at the end of the couch. While she was up, she walked over to the book that held the check and she took it out and put the book back. From there, she sat on the couch, completely forgetting about breakfast as she just stared at the cashier's check. It wasn't her first time seeing this much money but still.... this could give her a good start at everything... barring any issues.

"Man-servant?" She questioned as he placed the coffee on the table, at the same time she set the check next to it, "That sounds wonderful...only if you'd agree to wear a thong...and that's it.." she said before taking a sip of her coffee, the look on her face totally serious as her mind wandered to that place again.

The kiss on her cheek caught her off guard, but in a good way. She turned to face him and realized their faces were inches apart, "I'm not joking." She said boldly and held his gaze as she tried to hold in her laughter...

"You want me in a thong? Okay, if that is what it will take, but only while doing indoor things. I don't want to have my body exposed to the elements outside." He smiled at Katie. "So, do you have one you think will fit me? If not, you are going to have to go out and get me one. Of course, that means that I will not be able to make you breakfast, because I will not be appropriately attired for the task."

Kevin kept a straight face as he talked to Katie about wearing a thong. He was pretty sure that she was joking, but he was pretty sure he would seriously wear it around the house. In fact, even if she was joking, he was going to do it.

He watched for her reaction as she held the cashiers check in her fingers. The fact that she took it out of the book told him that she was considering using the money, and that made him happy. He had gone out on a limb and risked his life to get that money. He wanted Katie to use it for her business... not just to rebuild what she had lost, but to grow her business and become the person that everyone brought their horses to for training.

"So, what will it be? Are you going to get me a thong? Or, are we going to just concentrate on your business alone?"

"Maybe you can surprise me for my birthday.." she said, shaking her head as she wondered if he was serious or not. She had a feeling he was... and that only made her laugh quietly, "Stop.. I was teasing..."

Looked at the clock and saw it was almost nine... the bank didn't up until 9:30 and even after that, they'd have plenty of time to get into town and deposit it into the business account, "Fine... for breakfast, I'll have both pancakes with extra syrup and scambled eggs." She didn't like her eggs any other way and had mentioned that to him plenty of times before.

"In the meantime, I'm going to shower quickly which I suggest you do the same later before we go into town, how's that?"

"Hold on a second. No thong, no breakfast... that was the deal." He smiled at her. "You were teasing? Oh, okay. I thought you would like to have me hanging out around here in a thong. I guess not."

Kevin walked into the kitchen and started making breakfast while Katie went to get a shower. He started off by making a pot of coffee, which was all he really wanted. While making the pancakes, his mind wandered to Katie in the shower. He couldn't deny that it was an arousing image that he had of her.

Once the pancakes were finished, he whipped up a couple of eggs and began to cook them. Once again, his mind was on Katie in the shower. This time however, the image of her in the shower included him in there with her. What an incredible thought... and so very arousing.

He shook his head to get those thoughts off of his mind. He could not have Katie come walking into the kitchen and see him standing there in a very aroused condition. He put his mind to finishing up the eggs and getting the eggs and the pancakes on a plate for Katie. He poured two cups of coffee, placed Katie's breakfast on the table and then sat down opposite of where she would sit to wait for her. Sipping his coffee, he hoped that she would share with him today that they were going into town to deposit the check in her account.

As Katie washed her hair in the shower, she closed her eyes as she rubbed her scalp, and a flash of a thought came to her mind of Kevin walking in and replacing her fingers with her own…

Yes, she had a few of those fleeting thoughts before but that’s all they were thoughts… right?

Sighing, Katie finished up her shower and tried to busy her mind by making a mental list of things she needed to get done today. She’d need to deposit the cashier’s check and if things went smoothly, she’d have to get in touch with a few contractors she knew about and see what they would be able to do and gather fees…

If her calculations were right, she’d be able to get a new barn started by the end of the month. Fingers crossed…

She quickly towel-dried her hair the best she could after getting dressed in a pair of jeans and t-shirt. She could smell breakfast and of course, she had to have some coffee. Walking into the kitchen, she saw her plate ready, as was her coffee. She frowned when she didn’t see a plate in front of Kevin, “You’re not going to eat…? Oh wait, you want me feed you from my own plate right?”

Watching Katie walking into the kitchen, he knew that she was going to be upset with him for not eating anything. "No Katie, I do not want you to feed me anything on your plate." He gave her a smile and a little wink.

He looked her over as she walked to the table. She looked amazing; the jeans fit her perfectly, the t-shirt showed off her perfect breasts, and her wet hair made him think about her in the shower again. "Stop thinking like that. You don't want her getting pissed off at you already," he thought as she sat at the table with him.

"So Katie, what is the plan for today? What do you want to get accomplished? What do you want me to do?" He wanted to ask her if she had made up her mind about the check, but he did not want to press his luck. She would tell him when she was good and ready.

He took another sip of his coffee and watched Katie as she ate her breakfast. "A trip into town should be interesting. Of course, when people see you with me they are going to start whispering things about you being seen in town with a man. You know how small towns are; everybody is into everybody's business. Maybe I should just stay here and get some work done while you go into town."

Back