What do your stories try to do?

Imstillfun

Really Experienced
when I write a story, my purpose is to titillate. I write pure jack off material with a bit of piss off the BTB crowd.

An author recently asked me to read a story. It was well written, but I was trying to figure out what he was trying to accomplish. To me it was just a description of something that happened. To me, It read like a news story.

what are your goals for your stories? Make someone feel something? titilate? chronicle an event?

Just had this discussion with another author the other day. Here's a snippet:

I have been fighting my dysphoria since I was six and it has been hard. Sadly, I will never get to live my dream. That time has past for me.
Most of what I write is me trying to deal with all the angst. As a result, my universe is a Pollyanna world full of love and hope, compassion and understanding. It's a place were acceptance runs like a river and happy endings happen all the time. All things in much too short supply in our real world today.

===
So I guess, I write to exorcise some personal demons and to spread a little positivity in a part of our society that sorely needs it these days.

I have been fighting my dysphoria since I was six and it has been hard. Sadly, I will never get to live my dream. That time has past for me.
Most of what I write is me trying to deal with all the angst. As a result, my universe is a Pollyanna world full of love and hope, compassion and understanding. It's a place were acceptance runs like a river and happy endings happen all the time. All things in much too short supply in our real world today.
Do you ever write wish-fulfillment stories that turn out the way you'd want your life to be?

Nothing more than to entertain the reader. Any meanings, themes, or self-portraits that may be there are private. If they decipher something, if it teaches them something, that's on them.

what are your goals for your stories? Make someone feel something? titilate? chronicle an event?
I don't think of the reader at all. The goal for my stories is purely to put into words fantasies I've had that have moved me. I guess I want to preserve them. After they're published, I look for like-minded people. In the past I've tried to analyze what it means to want to find like-minded people. But I've decided to rest in the knowledge that it's just a thing human beings want.

The purpose of my stories is to entertain. But there are messages in them too: women are people, be kind, and very different people can be good together. Turns out, stories with those messages can sometimes be very entertaining.

A mentor once told me that to be memorable with words you should make people think, wonder, and laugh. That's what I try to do. I also try to present my characters as people, show off their relationships, and build a realistic yet urban fantasy world.

More than anything, I try to pass on a message that good consensual sex should be natural, frequent, and fun. Same for righteous heroism when necessary.

Alignment- Chaotic Good. :D

What do your stories try to do?​

I’m aware that I am primarily writing smut. So I’m looking to arouse the reader. But… as I have got more experienced, I have learned that the pay off of sex is so much greater if you care about the characters; if them fucking is meaningful. It’s a lot hotter to have two (or more) people fucking when you are rooting for them to do so despite obstacles and misunderstandings and external forces.

I still write clinical descriptions of sex sometimes and there is an audience for that. But I now try to include emotions and motivations. Even if I’m writing some extreme fetish, I want readers to care about the characters. The release is so much better if they do.

Em

Just had this discussion with another author the other day. Here's a snippet:

===
So I guess, I write to exorcise some personal demons and to spread a little positivity in a part of our society that sorely needs it these days.
đź«‚đź«‚đź«‚đź«‚đź«‚

Em

I’m aware that I am primarily writing smut. So I’m looking to arouse the reader. But… as I have got more experienced, I have learned that the pay off of sex is so much greater if you care about the characters; if them fucking is meaningful. It’s a lot hotter to have two (or more) people fucking when you are rooting for them to do so despite obstacles and misunderstandings and external forces.

I still write clinical descriptions of sex sometimes and there is an audience for that. But I now try to include emotions and motivations. Even if I’m writing some extreme fetish, I want readers to care about the characters. The release is so much better if they do.

Em

Mostly this. I started writing stories here because I would get these scenes and partial ideas in my head and have nowhere for them to go. The first few were just "X & Y had sex, here's how!" There'd be a small twist or obstacle, but not much more.

The more I've written and expanded my scope, the more it is about developing Character X and Character Y, to the point the reader is satisfied when they finally get together.

Do you ever write wish-fulfillment stories that turn out the way you'd want your life to be?
Well, considering my MMC has a similar backstory to mine with more success at gambling, career, and women? Yes. His eventual hotwife is a Sylvie version of him (see Disney's Loki) existing in the same universe and they're polyamorous swingers. She's bi, he's straight, and they have friends of other orientations for solidarity. Some sexual, some not. Villains are a bunch of terrible folk. It's all a projection to some degree, I don't mind admitting it. At least I can recognize my wish fulfillment and keep content with it as fantasy. It is a struggle sometimes. I do keep principles intact, my next story on Lit will show that off again. :)

I've read erotica for years. At its most basic, it provides a fun escape. But at its absolute best, it makes me feel something, happy, sad, or somewhere in between. This has carried over into my writing. I don't know if I'm a good enough writer to cause somebody to have an emotional reaction to one of my stories, but I hope they at least find a little entertainment in a random corner of the internet.

I write for escapism. I'll happen upon a theme that I'd like to explore then work into a scenario as close as possible to real life.

I write what I call erotic nostalgia: fantasies of women I've known in my life, women I'd like to know, women who live in my subconscious. I write to conjure up worlds, to get people off. Nothing more complex than that.

For the most part, I try to write stories that make people laugh, but comedy is one of the hardest genres to write in. While many of my comedic stories have done well (except those in Incest Taboo, where the readers don't seem to appreciate attempts to make them laugh), paradoxically my sad stories have done better on the site in Romance, First Time and Lesbian Sex.

I didn't know how to respond to this at first but I'd say Keith's answer is close to mine. I don't have any one purpose with my Literotica stories. I like to try different things, achieve different effects, appeal to readers in different ways. In general, my stories are sex-positive, and I want readers to come away enjoying the celebration of a kinky, sexy experience.

Back