What do you want the afterlife to be like?

JohnSm123

Loves Spam
This is not a question of whether you believe there is an afterlife. The question is: Supposing there is one, what would you like it to be like?

Well, I don’t know how it’s gonna work out, but I’ve made plans with a couple people for the afterlife, so I’m hoping that will happen. We didn’t really make it for the afterlife. We made it for our next lives but same difference.

Peaceful, contentment, forgiving, healthy, prosperous, truthful, happy, joyful, loving, sexy, freedom, are some of the states I hope we can all live again in.

Many people only get hints of what those states are truly like.

I want them for everyone.

I would hope I would be given a second chance at life starting when I was about 10 to 12 years old with all my memories that I have now so I wouldn't make the same mistakes.

I would hope I would be given a second chance at life starting when I was about 10 to 12 years old with all my memories that I have now so I wouldn't make the same mistakes.
This is everyone's dream, but I believe we probably chose our challenges before we came down here.

Only the present and future can be changed, no good comes from regretting the past.

Today is literally the first day of the rest of your life.

Gotta consider how any changes you make, will make others feel.

I'm in no rush, but I'm interested to visit the other side.

No responsibilities. I can work on my stupid projects all I want without being interrupted. Occasionally someone wanders by and says “Hey did you make that? It’s really cool! Nice job!”

Imagining an afterlife is like trying to imagine your own nonexistence. It’s like saying imagine that you died but you kept on living!

I just can't even start to imagine what afterlife is like. No way I want to be able to see people that are still living and looking back at past well no thanks. Maybe just a subdued monged out state somewhere between consciousness and on best magic mushroom trip

This is not a question of whether you believe there is an afterlife. The question is: Supposing there is one, what would you like it to be like?
Hey John, you came back. I wasn't sure I'd answer, but I'll give it a shot. Since there probably isn't one, that's fine with me. Human psychology couldn't handle an unlimited amount of time. Most people can't find enough to do with their present lives, much less one beyond that. I don't know the exact quote, but George Carlin said something like, "Why do people want an extra twenty years of life? Most of them would just spend it eating hamburgers, watching Dancing with the Stars, and jerking off." I don't even want to write for Lit a hundred years from now, much less twenty.

Eternal nothingness suits me. "Dust thou art, and to dust thou shall return."

I just can't even start to imagine what afterlife is like. No way I want to be able to see people that are still living and looking back at past well no thanks. Maybe just a subdued monged out state somewhere between consciousness and on best magic mushroom trip
Yeah, what would I talk about with the people who have gone ahead of me? (That includes most of my family and whatever friends I had.) News from Earth? Would anyone care? "They still haven't gotten very far with the Second Avenue subway." "Man, they've been at that for a hundred years already."

Hey John, you came back. I wasn't sure I'd answer, but I'll give it a shot. Since there probably isn't one, that's fine with me. Human psychology couldn't handle an unlimited amount of time. Most people can't find enough to do with their present lives, much less one beyond that. I don't know the exact quote, but George Carlin said something like, "Why do people want an extra twenty years of life? Most of them would just spend it eating hamburgers, watching Dancing with the Stars, and jerking off." I don't even want to write for Lit a hundred years from now, much less twenty.

Eternal nothingness suits me. "Dust thou art, and to dust thou shall return."
Eternity wouldn't be boring if we could manually erase memories as we saw fit.

When I'm in Hell, I'm hoping for beer in the bar. Yes, it will be warm, but I'll be with friends.

I must admit that I lack enthusiasm for the biblically described heaven. Choir music is fine, but cymbals and harps? And all that glittering white and gold? Sounds like everybody would need eye protection to prevent blindness from all of the glory and reflective surfaces. It seems boring, too.

I don't want sparkling cities, I want natural vistas. Peaks, oceans, forests and flowers. Amber waves of grain. Lakes and waterfalls. Friendly dogs. Colorful birds. I guess I lean more towards the Garden of Eden than Heaven.

Eternity wouldn't be boring if we could manually erase memories as we saw fit.
I know, you said that in an earlier post. But I've never heard that from any religion that envisions an afterlife. Yes, the thread is what you'd like the afterlife to be. You'd be a sort of Mister Short-Term Memory.

Oliver Sacks wrote about a patient of his who had damaged his brain, apparently through alcoholism, and who would forget everything after about twenty-four hours. Sacks has to re-introduce himself every time he met the guy. So how often would you like to have this "memory sweep?" I'd guess that every hundred years might be a good option. I know, you wouldn't erase everything. But this ideal woman you mentioned as your celestial companion might erase you from her memory. "I don't know anybody named John."

I must admit that I lack enthusiasm for the biblically described heaven. Choir music is fine, but cymbals and harps? And all that glittering white and gold? Sounds like everybody would need eye protection to prevent blindness from all of the glory and reflective surfaces. It seems boring, too.

I don't want sparkling cities, I want natural vistas. Peaks, oceans, forests and flowers. Amber waves of grain. Lakes and waterfalls. Friendly dogs. Colorful birds. I guess I lean more towards the Garden of Eden than Heaven.
All of those celestial details - the harps and clouds and do forth - are not in the Bible, but were added hundreds of years later by other authors.

"Almost Heaven, West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River . . ." I guess John Denver envisioned the place with coal mines. Well, they need some way to power it all. Actually, this guy looks like he wound up in that other place.

https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/assets/0000/2677/7574M28_large.png?1276869730

Back