Wat's Guns-N-Stuff Thread

I favor decriminalization. Let the users produce their own drugs or take the risk. The rest of us move on. We step over the bodies.

I think there would be a brief surge and then it would level out. Prices might drop and that would lead to a decline in property crime.

Hell, legalize it and tax it and put the money into treatment. Of course, teh gummint would fuck that up by putting it in the general fund in their usual boo-jimmying manner.

Seems like a strange marketing scheme/model where you off the clientele.

I have been wondering about a good bolt gun platform. Not hard wondering, but a bit.
Get an old pre '43 Mauser 98 action and build your own. There's a ton of them out there that have been poorly sporterized and hence have zero collectors value. The strongest actions are the original Wafenfabrik, the Brno, or La Coruna.

Get an old pre '43 Mauser 98 action and build your own. There's a ton of them out there that have been poorly sporterized and hence have zero collectors value. The strongest actions are the original Wafenfabrik, the Brno, or La Coruna.

Then I could add to the pile of 80-year-old stuff in the Chez Wat collection that has been rebuilt/repurposed. Not a bad idea, however.

That is why legalization is a bad idea.

I reckon, but it intrigues me still.

Then I could add to the pile of 80-year-old stuff in the Chez Wat collection that has been rebuilt/repurposed. Not a bad idea, however.
Well, if money is no object you can start with something like a Rem. 700 action. It's just that the fact remains that the old Mauser actions are built like a brick shit house. As a side note the Army Ordnance Corp tested virtually all of the old military bolt actions and the Jap. 6.5 Arisaka came out the strongest. Too bad about the sucky safety.

I reckon, but it intrigues me still.
Decriminalization offers the advantage of getting out of the WoSD (war on some drugs) and letting the rest of us get on with life. Generally I think society has one real goal, which is to make sure that good people doing good stuff get rewarded. Societies get sidetracked into a focus on the failures, but this just bleeds the good to try to save the unsavable (except for Jesus(tm)).

Well, if money is no object you can start with something like a Rem. 700 action. It's just that the fact remains that the old Mauser actions are built like a brick shit house. As a side note the Army Ordnance Corp tested virtually all of the old military bolt actions and the Jap. 6.5 Arisaka came out the strongest. Too bad about the sucky safety.

No, there's nothing wrong with a Mauser in terms of much of anything, and for a 126-year-old design, it keeps on ticking. And in 6.5 Creedmoor, for example, all it should need is a barrel, better sights and a better trigger. Okay, maybe a stock.

Decriminalization offers the advantage of getting out of the WoSD (war on some drugs) and letting the rest of us get on with life. Generally I think society has one real goal, which is to make sure that good people doing good stuff get rewarded. Societies get sidetracked into a focus on the failures, but this just bleeds the good to try to save the unsavable (except for Jesus(tm)).

I'm just reminded about the repeal of the Volstead act and how that put some scumbags out of the booze bidness and brought in some revenue. There are still drunks out there.

If answers were easy, we'd be running the place.

It might be better off if we did. At least we're awake . . . .

No, there's nothing wrong with a Mauser in terms of much of anything, and for a 126-year-old design, it keeps on ticking. And in 6.5 Creedmoor, for example, all it should need is a barrel, better sights and a better trigger. Okay, maybe a stock.
Which is why on the current build, as well as the previous builds, I'm changing the barrel, trigger, and stock. :D

I'm thinking you'd enjoy the stock work.

Which is why on the current build, as well as the previous builds, I'm changing the barrel, trigger, and stock. :D

I'm thinking you'd enjoy the stock work.

I might be kinda good at it. Some of those war guns (like my '39) have laminated stocks, which isn't such a bad thing.

6021a6cef289152ee119f0f56a749fcb.jpg

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

~ Winston Churchill

It stops criminalizing addiction making treatment more available. It would also increase the pool of potential gun purchasers (by not criminalizing the actions of former addicts). It would also inhibit the purchase of the types of guns used in the war by both sides of the argument. I'm a huge fan of individual liberty, including the liberty to check out of life the slow way...

The average vote does not calculate the benefit of government for you or me, but the perceived benefit to themselves and will vote for the hollowest of promises which is why Libertarians gain no traction with the average voter: we have nothing to offer but less and more of it.

The average voter thinks they are in charge even as they put government's gun to their own head and demand that they pay up...

Striving for the unobtainable goal. You may never get there but that doesn't mean you quit trying. The pendulum is swinging back, the question is "How far?"

I'm a huge fan of individual liberty, including the liberty to check out of life the slow way...
Individual liberty comes with responsibility. Privileges come with duties. It's the cycle of life. I like "natural rights" (Bill of Rights style) because in nature, you can grow weed if you want... or opium, or synthesize whatever. Natural rights says government cannot stop you, but that you are responsible for your own future. It also cuts the rest of us free to stop worrying about the bad decisions others are making, as long as they do not have public impact.

Indeed. Too many people believe that government should be a nanny, just not theirs, and that the government they clamor for will always be made in their image not realizing what an extreme minority one is...

The average vote does not calculate the benefit of government for you or me, but the perceived benefit to themselves and will vote for the hollowest of promises which is why Libertarians gain no traction with the average voter: we have nothing to offer but less and more of it.
A Hume-influenced analysis would say that this is true not just of voters but people in general: they decide that what is "good" is what is good for them right now, and then rationalize that as moral, scientific, altruistic, or what-have-you.

Voters will select the free stuff every time, especially if they are from the 47% -- some retirees, illegals, welfare dependents, criminals, indigent, lawyers with high deductions -- who pay no taxes.

Indeed. Too many people believe that government should be a nanny, just not theirs, and that the government they clamor for will always be made in their image not realizing what an extreme minority one is...
Part of the problem with illegal drugs is that it helps foster that notion, that government is the in loco parentis nanny. "If this drug were harmful, it wouldn't be legal." We need a consumer base and yes, electorate, thinking the other way around: there is no guarantee that this drug is not harmful, so time to hit the PDR and do some research.

Societies that reward thoughtless people get more of them.

Back