Trump Is Blunt, But He's Right

Rightguide

Prof Triggernometry
FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Trump Is Blunt and Right About NATO​

Trump’s rhetoric is unvarnished. He’s still right.

Doug Bandow
Feb 22, 202412:05 AM

hey just can’t take a joke. The former president Donald Trump made a sarcastic crack about encouraging Russia to attack NATO members that didn’t invest in their defense, and hysteria enveloped both Washington and Brussels. For some officials, the imbroglio appeared to signal the end of Western civilization.

Even worse, Europeans realized that they might have to do more for themselves militarily. The continent’s policymakers have begun thinking the unthinkable. Reported the New York Times, “European leaders were quietly discussing how they might prepare for a world in which America removes itself as the centerpiece of the 75-year-old alliance.” What is the world coming to if European governments can no longer cheap-ride the U.S.? The horror!

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has spurred European governments to spend more. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said 18 of 31 members will meet the alliance’s two percent of GDP standard this year, three times the number in 2016.

Trump’s comment should accelerate this process, probably more than all the complaining, whining, and demanding of prior presidents combined. He claimed that the leader of an unidentified large European country asked if Trump would send in the American cavalry if that nation failed to meet its NATO obligations. Trump responded: “I said: ‘You didn’t pay? You’re delinquent?’... ‘No I would not protect you. In fact I would encourage them to do whatever they want. You gotta pay.’”

The rest of the much longer article here: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/nato-empowers-military-midgets-at-u-s-expense/

He puts America first, like it should be.

You didn't take the time to read the article, so another knee-jerk response.
I didn't need to read the article. Trump isn't right about NATO. No argument can convince me otherwise.

America is a leader in the world and it's commitments to our alliances is one of the main reasons.

I didn't need to read the article. Trump isn't right about NATO. No argument can convince me otherwise.

America is a leader in the world and it's commitments to our alliances is one of the main reasons.
You see folks, he speaks from self-imposed ignorance.

trump is right about a lot of things. But as far as i am concerned he is an asshole/traitor/grifter/liar/bore. He has zero respect for himself or anybody else.

Lol.... I know Trump's position and it's ignorant and wrong. Someone defending his position doesn't add to what I already know about it nor does it add to my understanding of his policies.
We understand, "don't snow me with facts, my mind is already made up."

We understand, "don't snow me with facts, my mind is already made up."
As stated, I already know the facts. His policies are not a secret. His position on NATO has weakened the alliances we have and strengthened our enemies. His complete evacuation of the state department will take multiple administrations to recover from.

His positions steer towards chaos and increased conflict.

FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Doug Bandow

hey just can’t take a joke. The former president Donald Trump made a sarcastic crack about encouraging Russia to attack NATO members that didn’t invest in their defense, and hysteria enveloped both Washington and Brussels. For some officials, the imbroglio appeared to signal the end of Western civilization.

Even worse, Europeans realized that they might have to do more for themselves militarily. The continent’s policymakers have begun thinking the unthinkable. Reported the New York Times, “European leaders were quietly discussing how they might prepare for a world in which America removes itself as the centerpiece of the 75-year-old alliance.” What is the world coming to if European governments can no longer cheap-ride the U.S.? The horror!

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has spurred European governments to spend more. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said 18 of 31 members will meet the alliance’s two percent of GDP standard this year, three times the number in 2016.

Trump’s comment should accelerate this process, probably more than all the complaining, whining, and demanding of prior presidents combined. He claimed that the leader of an unidentified large European country asked if Trump would send in the American cavalry if that nation failed to meet its NATO obligations. Trump responded: “I said: ‘You didn’t pay? You’re delinquent?’... ‘No I would not protect you. In fact I would encourage them to do whatever they want. You gotta pay.’”

The rest of the much longer article here: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/nato-empowers-military-midgets-at-u-s-expense/

European security is nothing to joke about. Making sarcastic cracks about letting Russia attack NATO is inappropriate coming from someone who aspires to lead the free world. The world stage is not a comedy club. Donald Trump lacks the maturity and gravitas to be an effective president.

It's more complex than that. On the one hand he's right that the European countries need to pay more into nato and stop relying on us to do it so much, but on the other hand we back in the day made a commitment to protect them when nato was formed.

At last. Finally.

An article from a source that isn't rated 'fake' or 'alt-right' by the bias-ratings. Keep it up, well done.

FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Doug Bandow

He is a clown but not a comedian.

Lol.... I know Trump's position and it's ignorant and wrong. Someone defending his position doesn't add to what I already know about it nor does it add to my understanding of his policies.
Yes we understand your prejudice and your pride. Mark Twain might have had you figured out long ago when he said:

"charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

I might add: or shacked up in a blue inner city flat steeping in superstition and bathed in ignorance.:D

European security is nothing to joke about. Making sarcastic cracks about letting Russia attack NATO is inappropriate coming from someone who aspires to lead the free world. The world stage is not a comedy club. Donald Trump lacks the maturity and gravitas to be an effective president.
That's where you're wrong. Having said what he said certain Nato countries have already expressed plans to upgrade their spending. They need to be kicked in the ass by reality.

Trump's bluntness is one of the traits that makes him so popular. People don't expect a saint, infalliability or a perfect person they agree with on every point. But a politician that actually says what he thinks and genuinely wants to help the American people, that's a rare find.

It's more complex than that. On the one hand he's right that the European countries need to pay more into nato and stop relying on us to do it so much, but on the other hand we back in the day made a commitment to protect them when nato was formed.
Yes, but it wasn't a one-sided deal. We need to rethink the entire strategy.

Trump's bluntness is one of the traits that makes him so popular. People don't expect a saint, infalliability or a perfect person they agree with on every point. But a politician that actually says what he thinks and genuinely wants to help the American people, that's a rare find.
Straight talk is the American way everywhere except in Washington DC. and Americans are tired of the pusillanimous pussy footing that emanates from there as well.

Back