Time travel ideas / requests

I'm working on a story, the basic premise being 5 young adults (a gay man, a straight only woman, a bisexual with a female preference woman, a straight 'alpha' male and a straight 'beta' male) get kidnapped and taken to different places in history by a time machine.

This allows me to return to 2 previous stories I wrote, one set in the past (Egypt 3400BC) and one in the future (where humans no longer need clothes and practice free-use).

I'm also considering taking them to the cave-man days.

Where else would you consider an interesting time & place to send my 5 travellers?

Not 100% sure which category it will end up in. I'm tempted to make it incest/taboo because my Egypt 3400BC story is there, and (let's be honest) that category gets good views.
Possibly going back to the 80/90s to meet (and accidentally fuck) their parents?
Or earlier and meet their grandparents?
Maybe going forward in time but it could be hard to give the gay man an interesting interaction (assuming he never fathered children)

Well, I could see the bi-woman going back and ending up being the chambermaid for Marie Antoinette. And that would be the fate of all of them. Sent back with no means of support, all of them would end up as servants or worse. Your alpha male could end up a gladiator in a ludus. The beta male, could go back and become the make-up artist for MGM, and end up fucking classic actresses like Mae West or Rita Hayworth. Bettie Davis and Joan Crawford had a feud for years. Maybe your character was the reason for that? The straight woman sets herself up to be in the right place to save someone who dies tragically like John Lennon. What could happen from that?

The time travel would allow you to come up with some really unusual stories. Going the incest route is the opposite of that. Fight the temptation and write something cool and different.

First of all, why did someone randomly kidnap 5 people and deposit them through time?

Secondly, some more ideas: it'd still be ancient, but Classical Greece or Rome could be interesting because they had some quite open views on homosexuality. Alternatively, something like being in an early modern court, or possibly experiencing the sexual repression of the Victorian era.

First of all, why did someone randomly kidnap 5 people and deposit them through time?

Secondly, some more ideas: it'd still be ancient, but Classical Greece or Rome could be interesting because they had some quite open views on homosexuality. Alternatively, something like being in an early modern court, or possibly experiencing the sexual repression of the Victorian era.
It's going to be a bootstrap paradox. The time machine (and it's AI interface) is able to read it's own timeline, and realized it is only made because these 5 people are taken on this journey. (EG children fathered at certain historical times, advice given to people etc) So the machine is compelled to take the 5 on the journey, or else the machine is not invented.

I like the idea about Rome or Greece, or the repressive Victorian times. Could be a nice counterbalance to a very liberal future timeline.

I should have mentioned earlier, but the 5 are travelling together, not being separated. All 5 in ancient Egypt, then all 5 to the future etc.

Well, I could see the bi-woman going back and ending up being the chambermaid for Marie Antoinette. And that would be the fate of all of them. Sent back with no means of support, all of them would end up as servants or worse. Your alpha male could end up a gladiator in a ludus. The beta male, could go back and become the make-up artist for MGM, and end up fucking classic actresses like Mae West or Rita Hayworth. Bettie Davis and Joan Crawford had a feud for years. Maybe your character was the reason for that? The straight woman sets herself up to be in the right place to save someone who dies tragically like John Lennon. What could happen from that?

The time travel would allow you to come up with some really unusual stories. Going the incest route is the opposite of that. Fight the temptation and write something cool and different.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm mainly avoiding real people, because I'm not good at true history (esp 20th century). I also find true celebrities can alienate people from other cultures. But I don't mind them meeting a fictional classical actress for a quickie in the changing room.

I enjoy the challenge of incest, because I always try to find plausible reasons for it. Maybe they go back in the past/future and have a sexual encounter without names before later learning it was their mother/grandfather/daughter etc?

To begin with, they are mainly going to see the incest commited by others and have to process their feelings to this, before getting personally involved

Have an inept angel kidnap them all for God, who is intending to create humanity through a self-perpetuating time travel equation. The angel places them in the Garden of Eden and when God realizes the mess up, hilarity ensues. The alpha man is Lucifer, he wants to claim credit as humanity’s progenitor, but the women Eve (straight ) and Lillith (bi) don’t like him. So he sets them up with the beta male (Adam) and each other once Lillith becomes Eve’s closet key slash best friend. Eve is jealous of Lillith and Adam at first until Lillith suggests to her they hook up, none of the men have issues with that, and she likes it. Steve (the gay guy) is amused by it all. Lucifer is more interested in creating mischief than actual drama. He still steals the fruit and tempts everyone else with it, of course, and gets everyone thrown out of paradise. This causes them all to dislike him, even Steve, who hopes he will find other people who won’t cause mischief like this. The angel is his type, if you want Steve to have a happy ending. :) Adam, Eve, and Lillith end up a threesome. Lucifer writes some literature popular among intolerants for further amusement and signs God’s name on the byline. God is amused enough by this to let it stand and intends to give Heaven to those who can see through Lucifer’s schemes and act accordingly. Good luck, humanity, it’s a never ending story. ;)

I definitely vote for the Greek aristocracy; Liberal views and an appreciation for indulgence.

Characters could just as easily be servants and captives forced to participate in satisfying the depraved needs of the elite.

I definitely vote for the Greek aristocracy; Liberal views and an appreciation for indulgence.

Characters could just as easily be servants and captives forced to participate in satisfying the depraved needs of the elite.

That last paragraph doesn’t sound very liberal to me.

Back