Thieves Among Us-Closed

Rina sighed a little. The true was she did her assignments, and when there weren't any she did what she wanted and never asked permission. Feeling that she could now trust this man she was paired with she decided to share her theory.

"I am grateful to our benefactor. I do all that he or she asks of me in the allotted time frame. When I am without an assignment, I don't ask permission to do my own thing. But as you feel it's important, I will send him notice that I will be on a much deserved holiday for a month or so."

She smiled and then looked up to him "You on the other hand should probably ask his permission to marry me. Providing you can come up with a proposal worthy of me" she teased.

Tearing a piece of paper out of a notebook she kept in her purse she wrote a quick note and called for the front desk to post it. She picked up his phone and made a quick call to her handler or go between advising that a letter would be delivered for the benefactor and she would be unreachable for about a month while she took holiday.

"I can call and get our reservations tonight. But I think it's probably too late to get a flight out, unless mr. extravagant you have access to a private plane."

Oh so she was willing to marry him. He had not failed to catch that bit of information. Of course he would have to make it a very good proposal, but he already had one in mind and he was pretty sure she would like it.

However it would take a little time, and for now they needed to get to Peru. It was a lot easier to travel these days, but to get to a place like that still was not easy. They would have to fly to Lima then travel into the interior by car and then by foot into the mountains. Of course then they would have to find the place indicated on the map.

If it was just him he would be able to do it in a few days. With his speed it would be easy to quickly make his way into the interior and search the mountains. However with Rina along he would have to do things the mortal way.

Still he could help out in a few other ways. Smiling at her he answered "Well as a matter of fact...I do have a friend that owes me a favor who just happens to run a charter air service. I am sure he would be more than happy to pay it off by providing us an aircraft. Let me make a call."

Within half an hour he was smiling at her. "We have an hour to make it to the airport. There will be a plane fueled up and waiting for us. We can refuel in Costa Rico and then continue onto Lima. Luckily I just happen to be a qualified pilot. So are you ready to go?"

"I hope you never fail to surprise me, I'm getting quite use to you making the impossible a reality." she said with a smile picking up her bag. "Let's go" she said with a smirk. She had always wanted to go hiking through the amazon, view the cultures and experience what few ever had the opportunity to see.

Some how she wasn't surprised that Phillip had a pilots license. He seemed to be well versed in a lot of things. Why he was still single, and why he was interested in her she didn't quite grasp. Other then they seemed to be well in sync with each other. Taking a cab to the airport, they boarded their plane and settled. Soon they were in the air.

"I'm going to get some sleep" she said after they were in the air for about an hour. Finding a spot she curled up and let the lull of the planes engines put her to sleep. Her dreams seemed to take her to dancing with him on the rooftop. The way he made her feel in his arms as he directed her about and she submitted to his control of the dance.

Phillip smiled as he watched her drift off. She lost some of that guarded expression and became almost vulnerable when she slept. She was almost even more beautiful, although this was a different kind of beauty.

Of course he didn't have to sleep much, but he was going to have a bit of trouble during daylight hours. He was old enough that he had developed a certain immunity from the suns rays, and with precautions he could survive in daylight. Sunscreens had come a long way and full body clothes helped, yet they would not be enough to fully protect him and he would suffer. He needed to come up with an excuse for them to travel during the night or at least twilight hours until they could get into the forests. The shaded canopies would be enough for him.

Then it hit him. It was summer and they would be in a hot country. It would make sense to travel in the cooler hours. Smiling he flew on.

He landed in Costa Rica and refueled, taking off without even waking her and near dawn they were approaching Lima. He nudged Rina awake and pointed at there destination.

"Lima my dear and to our left the jungle and mountains we will be making our way to."

Rina woke with his nudging and opened her eyes to the view ahead. "We're gonna need to get some donkeys or hire some men to carry supplies it won't be a day trip that's for sure." she replied trying to make a rough calculation of what they would need.

Their adventure wasn't for the weak of heart. They were going to have to be on their guard, and completely aware of their surroundings. Being that they were both in shape and was use to stealth and climbing would come in handy.

"I had done some reading about this area. There is reports of cannibal tribes, and traps throughout. But i'm sure you already knew that. How many men do you think we should hire for our exploration party?"

In truth he didn't want any and he didn't need any, but he knew that would be suspicious. Mentally calculating the distances they would have to travel, and the things they would need, the bare minimum they would need would be about 5 and probably 7 would be better. However if they could get animals that could be reduced.

"I was thinking if we could get 3 or 4 good men and several good donkeys we would be good. We will need a trustworthy guide. Someone that knows the area well and is not afraid. That will be our first priority. They will probably be able to help with procuring supplies, donkey's, men and the like."

He also had a way of making sure that any person they took with them remained loyal to them and did not try to double cross them. Of course he did not have to tell her how, or indeed that he could.

"Finding that person could be difficult though. As you said it is wild country we are going to. Not many people will want to go. We should probably ask around at the local explorers clubs first. They might know of a few good people."

"I think that's a brilliant idea, though it would probably be best if you did the asking. Females aren't exactly taken seriously for much other then breeding and cooking. By the way, before you propose you should know that I don't cook. I also don't have any desire for children, at least anytime in the near future. I love my life, and the freedom it affords me, to pick up and run off to be eaten by cannibals." she laughed a bit at her joke and self amusement.

Phillip was an excellent pilot, he landed so smoothly that she barely felt the jostle of the wheels hitting the pavement. She watched him curiously as he focused himself on the task. He was actually very handsome, there always seemed to be a bit of mysteriousness behind his eyes.

Biting her bottom lip she slowly rose out of her seat and followed him off the plane. They hiked their way into town to find lodging at that least provided them their own beds and a bath. They would probably be here a day or more gathering what they needed for their exploration.

Having slept on the plane wasn't very tired. Knocking lightly on his door she asked if he was awake.

It hadn't taken them long to find a place in town. Contrary to what many people thought, Lima was a pretty modern city and the hotel they got taken to was pretty good. He got two adjoining rooms and paid for them and had the scant luggage sent up then sent a message to two of the local hunt clubs asking for someone to contact him at their earliest convenience.

After accompanying Rina upstairs and to her room, he made his way to his and sat down. He didn't need rest but the sun was well up and he was stuck inside for awhile. Looking around he was wondering what to do when he heard a knock on the door.

Approaching it he heard Rina's voice asking him if he was still awake. Smiling he opened it and gestured her inside. "No I am still wide awake. Call it nervous energy or the scent of adventure but I don't think I will be going to sleep any time soon. Is there something you want?"

Rina looked at him smiling as she entered the room that mirrored her own. "I slept on the plane so i'm not tired either. I thought if you were up we could go get a bite to eat in town, do some light shopping (thieving), and keep ourselves amused. I'm afraid that if i stay alone in that tiny room much longer i'll start to climb the walls."

She had a shower before she came over and was now dressed in a casual day dress and smelled of rose petals. Her hair was nicely tied up with a light amount of rouge applied. Her bottom lip being bitten as she looked at him.

Phillip was trapped. He could hardly tell her he could not go out because it was daylight and he would burn (literally), however hr plan was also a good one so he could not really avoid it.

"That sounds like a good idea. Let me just take a shower and get changed and I will be right with you. You can even wait here if you want," he told her.

Grabbing his small bag of toiletries he made his way into the bathroom and turned on the shower. He might as well have one anyway. It would give him time to think. Ten minutes later he stepped out clean and fresh and proceeded to dry off and then combed his hair.

He glanced outside and saw it was now past noon and the sun was beginning it's decent. There were shadows on the streets and if he stuck to them as much as possible he could survive a trip. Besides he had heard of a covered market nearby that would be perfect for their little shopping trip.

Wrapping the towel around his lean, muscular frame, he stepped back into the room and looked at Rina. "Okay just let me get dressed and we can be off. I just thought of the most perfect place to go."

"Okay" she said as he went in to the bathroom to take a shower. His room was simply a mirror image of hers. She was tempted to snoop through his bags but managed to sit serenely and play with the radio.

Rina's mouth dropped a little and she quickly closed it as Phillip entered the room in nothing but a towel. The man was like a living sculpture of David. She had always wanted to steal that sculpture, but now she had no need because she had her very own in the form of a soon to be fiance. Well depending on his proposal, she knew in her heart that she would accept it even if it sucked. But she loved to challenge him, and he seemed to rise to the occasion at each turn.

"Oh good, i look forward to it." she said in response to him knowing the perfect place. She watched him go back into the bathroom to change. A large smile traveled across her face as she held the image of him in a towel in her mind for a few more minutes.

When he came back out fully dressed she picked up her bag, and stepped toward the door. "Let's go have some fun" she taunted playfully.

Phillip led her downstairs and then out into the streets. Luck was with him as the shadows were on their side and he turned left and led her down several blocks before dashing across the street and then down a few more blocks.

So far the pedestrian traffic had been light, but as they got to the next block it thickened and then as they got to the corner he bowed to her and swept his hand out.

"May I present the covered markets of Lima," he grinned at her.

Ahead of them was a huge square, totally covered in awnings of every color and hue, jam packed with stalls and people, selling everything from food and spices to the latest in high tech gadgetry and jewellery. It was truly a thieves paradise.

"However we must be careful here. They do have a local thieves guild and this market is strictly off limits. They patrol it and offenders, if caught, get their hands cut off. Of course they are payed well so can't be bribed, so we will just have to be better. Up for the challenge," he smiled at her knowing what her answer would be.

"There is a large cafe right in the heart of the market. We meet there in half an hour and compare our hauls. Remember no getting caught."

Cheekily he leaned over and kissed her cheek and then disappeared into the throng and then into the market.

Being with Phillip during the day was new. But she found herself liking being so close to him for so long. For some reason it seemed natural. Almost as if their partnership was destiny. They way they moved together, the way they thought alike, it was all simpatico.

Ooh another game. She loved the museum game they played. Of course she let him win. Not understanding at that moment why she did it, she hadn't regretted it since. She smirked at his kiss on the cheek. A playful fire dancing in her eyes as he left her to begin the game.

This place was a bit of heaven for someone with her skills. It didn't take her long to scout out and find the eyes that watched the place. She stood looking at items and watching them for a few a minutes. They seemed to focus on the young and the men.

Either way she would be extra careful. She purchased items at every stall she stole from. She went from stall to stall browsing some and putting on the tourist joy when she found something to buy and steal. Eventually she met up with Phillip at the cafe with a smile. "Shopping is sure exhausting" she exclaimed sitting down across from him and ordering a cool drink.

As soon as he had left her, he had doubled back and watched her, observing her every move.

He had been impressed again at not only her skills as a thief, but in her observational skills and her acting ones as well. He had noticed the way she kept her eyes open and quickly spotted the guards even though they were well hidden. She did it casually as well, as if only looking around at all the different stalls.

Then the way she stole, never drawing attention to herself. Buying from where she stole, and never the most expensive items that would be immediately missed, a very rookie mistake.

Once he was sure she would be fine, he quickly began his own 'Shopping spree'. He did much like her, but with his speed he actually stole from the surrounding stalls while appearing to be haggling loudly with the vendor of another. No one would ever accuse him. He even made sure to do it in front of the thieves guards.

Still this time he only stole a few items. Expensive but he was sure he would loose. He wanted to make up for the museum. As she sat down and ordered a drink he smiled back at her.

"A little yes, and certainly nerve wracking, but that is what makes it fun."

Using the menu's to create a little privacy he showed her his haul and then quickly put it away. "Not much, but quality over quantity I always say. Now you my dear. Do you think you have me beat this time?" He asked with a twinkle in his eye.

She shook her head and smiled at him. "I'm sure I do. But I can't really show you here since most are hidden in places i can't reach into in public. Perhaps you'd like to go back to the hotel and we can play cards?" she reached in one of her shopping bags and pulled out a deck of cards with jewels on them.

Giving him a smirk she added "I thought it was appropriate." She had been wanting to have some alone time with him and thought cards would be that opportunity. Given that it was a 3rd world country she wasn't overly concerned with what would or wouldn't be deemed proper. She trusted him enough to know that her honor would be safe, even if her morals were a little off.

He laughed. If the rest of hr haul was anything like the cards she would win hands down.

"Very well my dear, cards it is."

He waited until their drinks came and they finished them leisurely before walking back and heading to his room. It was still a little scandalous for her to be there, but not as much as for him to be in her's.

He allowed her to choose the first few games and he played to her ability, in fact a little below her, allowing her to win most times. He frowned a lot and looked at her.

"I would accuse you of cheating if I was not watching you so well," he complained a little.

Then he brightened. "I know what about a game I am more familiar with. Poker. We can even use our ill gotten gains as wagers. Unless of course you are not up to the challenge?

Rina rolled her eyes at him. "I think you just want to get me riled up." she said with a smirk as she began to pull items out of different crevices'. Even hiking up her dress to pull some out of her garter.

"From the haul you pulled I can see you're in need of some of mine. " she said finally sitting back down with a pile in front of her. "Very well then, lets play poker, and by poker I mean honest poker. Don't think I don't know you were letting me win, i'm not as bad of a loser as you might think."

Her eyes danced as she smiled at him waiting for him to deal the cards. She enjoyed spending time with him and just relaxing. But she also couldn't wait for their adventure to begin.

Phillip laughed and then shook his head as he held up his hands.

"Ok, Ok, Truce. We will just play straight Poker for fun."

He did snag a few of her smaller items to use as chips, then dealt the cards. For the next several hours they played, chatted and generally had fun. He ordered room service and had them send up two meals and some wine, and they kept playing while eating.

Neither one of them had been able to outdo the other. True to his word, Phillip had not used any of his abilities, yet he had seen through her early on, picking up on several of her tells. Yet the more they played the less they occurred. Oh he still picked a few but she learned well.

He knew his face was made of stone. Centuries of playing games like this when your life was literally on the line helped forge it. Still reading your opponent was only one skill. Knowing the cards, betting the odds and luck were all involved.

By the time they took a break he was a little up on what he had started with, but not a whole lot, yet he could not remember when he had had so much fun.

"well you are clearly better at bluffing" she said with a smirk. "I wonder if that means I should trust you or not. She grinned at his expression. She loved to tease him. they had such a pleasant evening playing cards and talking. Often she thought how similar they were, but now she was quite convinced.

"we should probably ship back our little haul today, we don't need anything extra on our excursion. How long do you think it will be before we can start?"

Getting up from her seat she stretched her legs before walking behind him and wrapping her arms around him and laying her head on his shoulder. "this is one hell of a third date" she said kissing the top of his head.

Smiling at her suggestion he looked at their haul and nodded. "I know a freight company that will ship it for us no questions asked. It will be waiting for us when we get back safely stored in their warehouse."

Actually the freight place was one owned by him and he used it to ship many things he didn't want examined around the world. He only had to put a special alias on the shipping docket and everything would be taken care of.

When she walked behind him and cuddled him from behind, he felt something he had not in a very long time. Longing. He wanted this woman. It was all he could do not to get up and take hr into the bedroom and have his way with her. It would be so easy as well. On look would be all it would take and she would be his, willing to do anything he wanted, but he did not want that. He wanted her to come to him, to surrender to him willingly and give herself to him.

Still she did mention that this was a hell of a third date and he smiled widely.

"So three good dates then," he said turning a little so he could see her face. "That means I am allowed to propose to you now. I guess this means I best get this little adventure over with quickly so we can get married."

Chuckling he turned around more and dared to kiss her quickly on the lips. He felt a thrill of electricity run through his body but he merely smiled at her. "I know a place where the local guides like to drink at night. I will visit it tonight, but unfortunately it is no place for a lady. Perhaps you should visit the local explorers club and try to find some maps. A local guide is one thing, but having a map so we know the area as well is good sense."

She gave a smirk after his kiss. "You could propose, but you may want to wait for answer before you start making plans of a wedding" she grinned teasing him. "You may also want to wait for the third date to be concluded first".

Rina wasn't sure what it was that she loved most about Phillip, it could be his talent, or the way she felt when he looked at her. It was like he knew her better then she did herself. He wanted her, but was bound and determined to do 'this' thing between them the proper way. She admired how when he smiled it lit up her soul.

"ahh no ladies" she rolled her eyes. "Is the explorers club even open at night?" she questioned. Surprised that he would even consider letting her go out on the streets alone. In his presence she was safe. But alone, well she was a white woman, that would make someone the prime treasure to sell.

Phillip chuckled at her tone and expression as she uttered her disgust about the 'No Ladies' part of his story. He knew she was more than capable of handling herself, but where he was going to venture even she should not go.

He was a little surprised at the trepidation in her voice as she mentioned the explorers club and about venturing out at night. Then he remembered where they were. It had been so long since he had dealt with racism that he had all but forgotten about it. To him, it had been about hiding himself and what he was away from everyone else. He could not understand humans hangups about skin or religion.

Of course it was nothing new. In the centuries he had been alive, people always found one reason or another to hate.

"Oh they will be open my dear," he smiled. "At night it is much cooler here and most of the business is done in the early evenings. You will find that people don't do much in the heat of the day, preferring the cool of the night. Still I gather from your tone you are not to keen on venturing out alone and perhaps that is wise. Someone as gorgeous as yourself would certainly be to tempting a target if left unchaperoned."

Scratching his chin in thought his gaze went a little blank, then he smiled. "I have it then. We shall visit the explorers club together first then I will escort you back before going out to the bar." Chuckling he looked at her. "Believe me, there will still be someone there even in the wee small hours of the night I can get my information from."

Standing up he offered her his arm and gestured towards the door. "Well then, shall we go see what this areas big hunters have to say?"

Rina nodded her head and took his arm walking out once again to the streets. The sun had gone down, and a cool breeze taunted her skin. They walked a bit stopping first to get dinner, before they made it to the club. Having access to the resources she found some current maps.

She was glad that Phillip felt so comfortable around people. He seemed to beable to converse easily with them, where as she always felt awkward. Her interests where in stealing things, and adventures. Most women were interesting in finding the perfect husband and having children.

Occasionally she would glance up from what she was doing and find him, catching his gaze and giving him a smile before going back to her task. She found a book on tales of curse for the area and decided to buy it. With all she needed acquired she took his arm back to the saftey of his room. The plan was they would meet back here when he was done.

She busied herself with planning their route, and finding some interesting tales about the area they would be exploring. At some point she took a shower while waiting and put on one of his shirts. She had washed hers in his sink and was waiting for it to dry. What she didn't plan on doing was falling asleep in his shirt on his bed with a book across the V in his shirt.

Phillip escorted Rina to the explorers club, then spent the time chatting to people learning what he could of the area they were heading into. Most hadn't gone that way, it was still considered the untamed area of the continent. Of course he had quickly found out the names of the few people that had and had made their acquaintance.

Most of what they had told him had been the same thing, It was highly dangerous and don't even think of going there. Of course he agreed with them, but he pressed them about what little information they could give him.

From the bits and pieces he thought were credible, after all some of thee stories were just too exaggerated to be true, it sounded like thee going would be harsh. The terrain was wild and untamed, and what paths they would be able to follow would be animal trails or native paths.

As for the natives, most were friendly but there were still tribes of unfriendly ones who would hunt unwary parties if they strayed into their territories. All agreed it was wise to pay attention to any native markers.

By the time he had guided her back to the hotel and set out for the bar it was late evening. Still as he walked through the swinging doors of the rowdy place, it was still packed and the atmosphere was jovial.

The people inside were not what you would consider high class. In fact most of them would have to clean themselves up a lot to be considered low class. These were the dregs of society. Thieves, gangsters, murderers, prostitutes, but also laborers, dock workers, factory men and the like.

He strolled through the crowd as if he belonged in it, looking for a select group. He found them in a darkened back corner and sat down without them noticing him for a good ten minutes as he listened to them talk. These were the jungle guides you used when you truly needed to venture into the wild. They feared nothing and were more interested in money than what was legal.

As they finally detected him there were a few starts but he smiled and then looked around. He had already chosen three likely candidates but he addressed the whole table. "Good evening gentlemen. I plan on venturing into the deep interior and I have been told you are the people to talk to about guiding me. I am willing to pay but the work will be hard and the trek long." Already he saw a few of them backing away. Most wanted quick easy trips to maximize their time and money. "I can guarantee that the reward will be worth it though."

His 3 and several others indicated him to continue and so he began to describe the needs and direction of the trip. As he did more dropped out until only one was left and they discussed price and details until he stood up and shook his hand.

When he made it back to the hotel it was late, but to him still early. As he entered his room he was debating about going for a rooftop run when he saw Rina lying on his bed. He stopped in his tracks and looked at her. God she was beautiful, and to see her lying there like that. His shirt covered her, but seemed to hint more at what it hid, than actually cover up what it was supposed to. The book across her chest did the same. All he had to do was lift the shirts tail and he was sure he would be able to see her nether regions, or move the book and expose her breasts to his gaze, yet no matter how much he wanted to he knew he would not.

Smiling ruefully, he picked up the sheet and slowly covered her, stealing one more glance before tucking her in and gently removing the book without looking. Then he sat down in the comfortable looking chair and looking at her he drifted off to sleep.

Rina slept heavily which was outside of her nature. She generally was a light sleeper, and woke at the drop of a pin. Perhaps it was the climate change, or the long journey they had embarked on. Regardless she didn't hear him enter.

When she awoke after a good 7 hours of heavy sleep. She was startled to find she had fallen asleep in his bed. She slowly sat up on her elbow to evaluate. There he was, sleeping in the chair, being the example of what a gentleman should be. Slowly and carefully she rose from the bed and gathered her things. Stealth had always come quite easily to her. Though she couldn't help from stopping from time to time and stealing a glance at the handsome man passed out in the chair. Taking the blanket from the bed she covered him with it lightly before leaving to her adjoining room.

It was behind the safty of her door, that she laid upon her own bed and went to back to sleep for a couple hours dreaming of her soon to be fiance'. She wasn't sure why she felt at ease with him. Or why she seemed more comfortable with him then she had anyone else in her life. She wondered if this had been her benefactors sole purpose in putting them together.

When she finally awoke she got dressed and hung his shirt over the chair. It had smelled like him when she put it on. it caused a smile to come to her face. She went to work again on the map and waited for him to fetch her. She wasn't sure how long he had been out. But he was probably as tired as she had been. They both needed their full strength for this adventure.

Back