There's a Little Black Spot on the Sun Today [remix]

Released on May 4 and entitled Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesn’t, and What It Doesn’t, its major theme is that the science about the Earth’s climate is anything but settled.

1: What Climate Science Tells Us
2: What It Doesn’t
3: What It Doesn’t

Koonin is wrong on both counts.
Did I miss something??? I mean, I see shit like that in the opening salvo and I quit reading.

Nothing gets the faithful going more than a perceived attack upon their religion.

I love watching the GED crowd tell people with Science degrees that they don't know the first thing about Science because they aren't tuned into the Musak™ of the political memes of a generation. It's become an "everyone knows*" verses the unfettered questioning and testing that is actual Science.

* I.e., everyone I know...

It's all about who likes the post. If it's liked, then it's right, and Logic be fucked.

Nothing gets the faithful going more than a perceived attack upon their religion.

I love watching the GED crowd tell people with Science degrees that they don't know the first thing about Science because they aren't tuned into the Musak™ of the political memes of a generation. It's become an "everyone knows*" verses the unfettered questioning and testing that is actual Science.

Ish certainly did get fired up and have a meltdown over it.

Lol, you and Ish have very strong BELIEFS. We get it. And that's fine. Just don't call it science, because it isn't.

Lol, you and Ish have very strong BELIEFS. We get it. And that's fine. Just don't call it science, because it isn't.
They both must have failed grade nine science and been so bellitled by their respective teachers, that they have held a life long hatred towards the subject.

They both must have failed grade nine science and been so bellitled by their respective teachers, that they have held a life long hatred towards the subject.
One would need to be in school to take science right? Guessing they are middle school drop outs.

One would need to be in school to take science right? Guessing they are middle school drop outs.
At best they made it to middle school. Dropping out,or kicked out. Those are the only two logical answers.

Take 54 min. out of your life and inform yourself.

Climate Change Isn't What You're Told.
Oh look...Ishmael (one of Lit's earliest Climate Change denialists) found a Hoover Institution flack willing to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt about climate change.

Hmmm....I wonder what the Scientific American has to say about crackpot author Steven Koonin?

A New Book Manages to Get Climate Science Badly Wrong​

In Unsettled, Steven Koonin deploys that highly misleading label to falsely suggest that we don’t understand the risks well enough to take action
LINK

No such thing as "climate change", folks.
Ishmael has spoken!
Pay no attention to those record breaking temperatures you experienced this summer!

As a pragmatist, we need to concentrate our efforts on mitigation of the effects of climate change, not the cause.

As a pragmatist, we need to concentrate our efforts on mitigation of the effects of climate change, not the cause.
Here's the problem. "Exactly WHAT is the optimum atmospheric CO2 concentration?" I don't know, you don't know, the scientists don't know. If no one knows what the goal is then how can anyone be certain that we're taking the right steps?

According to the Paleo researchers Earth's CO2 concentration may have been as high as 15%, the low number is 10%. They are still publishing papers arguing over that. Regardless of where they find agreement the fact is that the Earth did not go into runaway greenhouse effect. As a reference our current atmospheric CO2 concentration is approx. 0.041%

Here's the problem. "Exactly WHAT is the optimum atmospheric CO2 concentration?" I don't know, you don't know, the scientists don't know. If no one knows what the goal is then how can anyone be certain that we're taking the right steps?

According to the Paleo researchers Earth's CO2 concentration may have been as high as 15%, the low number is 10%. They are still publishing papers arguing over that. Regardless of where they find agreement the fact is that the Earth did not go into runaway greenhouse effect. As a reference our current atmospheric CO2 concentration is approx. 0.041%
Ideally, you would identify a period of time where the atmospheric temp was.in a range bearable by humans and you would want it to be comparable to other periods of time with similar solar activity.

Yes, the earth has been through lots of shit since its inception, but scientists do not and should not give much weight to time-frames where humans were not able to exist. If the concentration was 15% during the dinosaurs, that's great for dinosaurs.

You should know better than anyone that if you keep crapping in your diaper, the diaper eventually explodes.

The fact that you science deniers can't even concede that basic fact means there's no reason to listen to any of your nonsense.

Once again, misogynistic a-holes attack women who stand up for what they and the majority of the science community believe in. Can't believe so many weak men are scared of her!
Greta terrifies the backwards simps on this site.

Once again, misogynistic a-holes attack women who stand up for what they and the majority of the science community believe in. Can't believe so many weak men are scared of her!
Thunberg is currently 20 and could be now called a woman.
We should never leave out that these "weak" adult men relished in attacking Thunberg when she was a child.

Hillbilly Johnny is content to continually put band-aids on brain tumors, because it's "doing something". Underlying issue? Pffft, not important.

We know why!

Something that I've pointed out for a really long time now (publish or perish syndrome):

The paper I just published—“Climate warming increases extreme daily wildfire growth risk in California”—focuses exclusively on how climate change has affected extreme wildfire behavior. I knew not to try to quantify key aspects other than climate change in my research because it would dilute the story that prestigious journals like Nature and its rival, Science,want to tell.

This matters because it is critically important for scientists to be published in high-profile journals; in many ways, they are the gatekeepers for career success in academia. And the editors of these journals have made it abundantly clear, both by what they publish and what they reject, that they want climate papers that support certain preapproved narratives—even when those narratives come at the expense of broader knowledge for society.

To put it bluntly, climate science has become less about understanding the complexities of the world and more about serving as a kind of Cassandra, urgently warning the public about the dangers of climate change. However understandable this instinct may be, it distorts a great deal of climate science research, misinforms the public, and most importantly, makes practical solutions more difficult to achieve.

https://www.thefp.com/p/i-overhyped-climate-change-to-get-published

Back