"Themes"

No. I'm doubtful a site for erotic stories is the right place to publish something that's about more than sexual acts. You can do it, no question about it. And there will be people appreciating it. But I'm convinced that the majority of readers do not come to Literotica for anything other than the sex in the stories.
You'd be surprised. There are readers and writers who appreciate more than pure erotica simple erotica. Romance readers for example, LW is another one, according to NTHs essay. I wrote a "just incest story" as you'd probably put it, but I recall one or two commenters had something to say about the moms desire, more than her sons reluctance, her mental issues that led her to desire her unwilling son. I'd say that's more than just sex, and it's probably deeper than the current one I'm doing. Do I expect everybody to see that, no, they probably just see a crazy mom thirsty for her unwilling son.

Most of my stories are built around an emotional theme, not a particular subject matter. I see the subject as the body of the story and the theme as the soul.

For example, the main characters in The Gold Dollars are strippers, but its actual theme is female friendship. The heart of the story is not the girl's sexcapades, but how Roxanne and Clover go from rivals to friends. The Adventures of Ranger Ramona has plenty of sex scenes, but if you ask me what what it's about, I'll tell you it's about the difficulty of a woman trying to maintain her personal integrity while working in a sometimes hostile male dominated environment.

Of course, I don't expect every other writer to approach things the way I do. There's room for as many techniques and styles as the mind can imagine. If readers enjoy my stories, but don't think, "That was a really good story about overcoming grief" or "Maybe it is possible to change what happened in the past and get another chance", that's cool with me. But my greatest gratification as an author comes when they do.

Sometimes I don't find that thread of soul, and I get a story that's just fun, and that's okay too.But I always strive for it.
They don't know us ogres are like onions.

I think for any writings to have merit in the long term, they probably need to have some depth. Even if the reader isn't consciously aware of the "themes" (as per the definition above: "an idea that recurs in or pervades a work of art or literature"), on some level they'll find that the story resonates.

I'm not saying that every stroker / simple erotica here has an underlying theme, or even that it should have. I'm also not saying that they're by definition worse than stories where the author has deliberately tried to add depth or a theme, to tell a story beneath the surface. The author could fail completely (I tried one recently), or might present either the surface story or the underlying theme in a way that doesn't resonates with the reader. And a simple stroker could bring joy to the reader in ways that a more profound story doesn't.

What I do think is that plenty of writers here are more serious about writing than just wanting to arouse their readers. For me at least, it's great place to practise the craft and find out what I enjoy writing and what readers enjoy reading. That might include adding depth, or exploring themes, but I'm not out to proclaim messages or change the world or help readers explore their hidden psyche. If those stories strike a note with readers, and perhaps make those readers think, then great! If not, I hope they at least had fun while they were reading.

I think we're talking two different levels of writing here, no matter what the actual genre of the story. A cuckold story can be just a relating of the actions of a couple, the wife of which is promiscuous and the husband of which is at least in agreement if not encouraging her to accept multiple partners. That is just the genre. The "theme" of the piece is the underlying reasons why this couple enjoys that lifestyle. Cuckoldry is generally defined by psychologists as a form of masochism, and the "theme" of the story could be an exploration of why the husband agrees to the arrangement. Does he feel inferior to other men, and if so, what in his life caused that.

There are numerous examples of this "two-fold" story line in novels and films. "Star Wars" was a sci-fi story filled with battles and drama caused by the past of the characters, but the main "theme" was "good triumphing over evil". "Days of Wine and Roses" would be classified as a romance/drama, but the "theme" of the movie is the causes and cures of alcoholism. Even comedies can have a "theme" as well as story action. "The Great Race" was a comedy about cars racing around the world and how one driver plotted to cheat his way to the win, but was also a commentary on society at the onset of the automobile age.
I was thinking that, myself. Explore why the husband is down with it, perhaps it's because of how much he truely loves his wife and knows he can't give her what she wants sexually. It could've been his idea and not hers, he had to convince her, once she truely understood-- maybe after a first encounter with a fuckbuddy he found for her, they talked because she felt like he knew her as well as her husband, and his view made it make sense. So the next time she wants her husband to watch, every time because she now knows how truly happy he is, that she is. The bull isn't so much s bull, but another serviceman like a plumber or repairman.

I wouldn't call star wars a triumph over evil, good doesn't win and I don't think that was Lucas goal. I can't outright explain it, but it's not your typical underdog defeats the government... because they don't. The Hunger Games is probably closer to that.

Well... you're right. Writing "anything other than sex" was probably a really stupid way to phrase that.

The point I was trying to make was that I just can't believe users come here for the literary value of the stories, but because they'll find erotic stories here.
Some people do buy Playboys for the articles. Some of the articles were more interesting than the women, imho.

I would say a close second to writing and looking for smut, to actual smut itself, would be fan fiction. Fuck... smut and fanfics go hand in hand, it's why fanfiction exist-- all those women trying to get beamed up in by Picard. The deeper thems in even smut based fanfics are appreciated, especially paired with the probably second most fanfic trope/theme to sex; angst/comfort. Yes, some people read or seek out such value with the smut, or at least stay for it, or appreciate it with the smut. Here and the likes of ao3.

There's a term some people throw around "Literary erotica" I don't put much thought into it, but I suppose they mean something sexy that's also story driven. I prefer the term 'slow burn' where there's story/conflict and if done right the sexy bits are sexier. I'd guess most of my base falls under that because its my style.

But there are readers here looking for "Dear Penthouse" as well and those who like both depending upon mood.

That's why I don't put much stock in conversations like this, whatever your story happens to be, someone here will like it-and hate it

However, for years the tag line under my for sale pen names has declared "My Smut Has depth!"

far less pretentious than "literary erotica"
LMAO, you just called this whole site pretentious

The point I was trying to make was that I just can't believe users come here for the literary value of the stories, but because they'll find erotic stories here.
Before I started reading here, I thought the stories here were more literature oriented based on the name.

I found out otherwise when I started reading. So I can understand if someone not familiar with the site might think the stories are different than what they are.

Back