The Thorn-star Agenda (Closed for DarkWarrioress)

Each thrust was not his own. He was at her mercy, feeling every textured inch of her tunnel swallowing him up, the tightness made all the more snug by the clenching of her inner walls. Growl after groaning growl left him as she rocked her hips, his own helpless to return the fervor that he desired to give her so eagerly.

Every muscle was taut as a bowstring, straining against his bonds, straining to bring his hips to faster motion, to throb harder within her willing depths. It was not much, but his control was nearly lost. The mast's sturdy wood and the knots of the rope were all that kept him together. Elana was tormenting him with the pleasure she gave, and she knew. It showed in every slow, languid roll of her hips, the pause at her entrance before taking him to the hilt again.

Teeth on his neck, his ear, tiny teeth accompanied by tinier words, but they hit him in the pit of his stomach like a hammer.

“I can feel you inside me, Andras. So deep. Each pump of my hips pressing you deeper inside me, stretching me open for you.”

Gods, she was beautiful. It was impossible for him to find words now, only grunt his response in guttural syllables that made no sense outside of "Yes...more...please..." He could feel it too, feel the very limits of her womb stretching and squeezing at the same time, taking him in to the root and clamping down as if she never wanted him to leave.

But leave she did, eventually. Taking his shaft in hand, sinking down before him using her tongue as wicked tool to send shivers down his spine, out along his extremities. Especially that same length that was ramrod straight in her palm.

Plush lips and that devil's tongue met him, still glistening with her juices, mingling with the wetness her mouth afforded. His amethyst eyes followed her down and stared as though there were no world, no sea around them. Only the lovely woman giving and taking her lust from him in her own measures.

“I want you, Andras. I want the taste of you flooding my mouth. I want to feel you exploding down my throat, My Blade.”

The flexing of his muscles came to a head there, those words culminating the desire she had coaxed to the surface, brought bubbling and bulging forth like a geyser set to erupt.

And erupt he did, while her pretty lips were wrapped around his base, tongue teasing the sensitive underside of his manhood. Hot spurts painting her mouth and throat, heavy shudders drawn from him as she swallowed him down even then, even more so then.

The intensity of such a moment stole speech, even basic words, from him. His eyes told the story. His stare held her as she held him, both prisoner to the sharing of lust and intimacy.

The sound of the ship’s bow breaking the softly undulating surface of the water it plowed through. The moon, which had hidden itself behind a cloud, perhaps in shyness of the happenings going on upon the deck of the Angry Dragon or perhaps it felt that privacy was in order for the two elves. There was the creak of the ship itself.

“I want you, Andras. I want the taste of you flooding my mouth. I want to feel you exploding down my throat, My Blade.”

Her words ringing in both of their minds as she knelt before him, her face pressed intimately into his groin with the throbbing length of him buried in her throat, faintly tasting of herself. She sensed his body tensing in a way it had not before just seconds before she felt a ripple run through him and then the heat of his cum as it filled her throat, causing her to convulsively swallow. He flooded not only her throat, but her mouth, painting it with his briny hot offering. Her tongue swirled around him, stroking even as she suckled upon him, draining his gift and taking it for herself. Her hands, which had crept up the outer sides of his thighs until they found the rounded curve of his buttocks and fingers pressed into the fleshy globes as she continued to suckle upon his flesh, even though, by now, he had nothing left to give her. Elana had greedily taken everything. The motion of her mouth was gentle by this time, soothing if one could imagine that. Fingertips, having left small red marks on his buttocks, eased their pressure. Slowly she drew her head back, her lips reluctantly releasing him. A wanton tongue glided over plumped lips, making sure nothing of his essence had escaped her.

The moon came out from its hiding place, basking them both in its iridescent glow. A shapely female form slid upright against his bound form, her lips lingering here and there to kiss his warmed skin. Soft naked full rounded breasts pressed against his hardened flatten chest. Elana’s arms slid around his neck as she pressed close. Her fingers worked at the knots that held his bound hands to the mast. Her lips nipped at his neck, found an earlobe, teased it with her teeth. Her voice was a soft husky sound in his ear.

“I think we should adjourn to our cabin, Commander before the night watch makes it rounds to this end of the ship. I can only imagine what his report to Grigly would say then, especially with you tied to the mast. “

Her warm amused laughter was a quiet sound. The rope fell to the deck of the ship unheeded as her fingers rubbed his wrists and hands. Elana pulled back slightly from his body so her eyes could leisurely assess his naked body short of the pants still around his ankles.

“Shall I help you with those, love?”

The green eyes that had been pointedly staring at the material around his ankles lifted, glimmers of mischief and humor lacing them as they found his amethyst gaze, which still held the smoky residue of emotions she had just put him through. It made her heart thump in her chest and caused her to inhale sharply.

Andras didn't speak, simply bent at the waist and pulled his pants up to their proper height, fastening them securely. His lips took on a smug quirk, eyes roaming from hers to the rest of her. There was the remnant of a flush in both her cheeks and her chest, a delicate pink painted on the pale of her flesh. It nearly incited more passion within him, but her words were true; they should take their leave of the deck before the night watch came around.

He wrapped an arm around her waist and led them both toward the stairs that would take them to their cabin. As the light of the moon was separated from them words finally left his mouth, the shade of lust still giving a gruff edge to them as they found her ear.

"I look forward to the time when I may revisit those teasing torments upon you, my Light. Though I think you'd be better suited to being tied by silk. Softness to match your own. I can almost hear your cries and pleas already..."

They arrived at their cabin without incident, the rest of the crew content to slumber until morning's light. The two elves were swift to join them once they'd gotten comfortable in their bed.

When the new day did dawn, Andras found Grigly to inquire on the remainder of their journey. They met at the prow of the Angry Dragon and the dwarven salt simply pointed ahead of them.

"We've arrived. The port is not more than three hours out, and we can dock there safely. The city there's name is Quei Lun. I'm sure you'll find enough provisions to see you through the rest of your journey."

"And how far is Shei Jin from Quei Lun?"

"I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure you could hire a guide as well..."

"True."

With the port growing on the horizon, Andras went back belowdecks to prepare, giving word to Dreggar and Koreg for their mobilization.

Andras had popped his head into their cabin and informed her that port was about three hours out, if not less. He had disappeared again, presumably to apprise his generals of the news. In the meantime, Elana began to pack. Almost three hours later, she felt the boat slowing, felt a bump and went topside to get her first glimpse of Quei Lun.

Tranquility. It floated on the surface of the city. With finely tuned senses, Elana realized it was just that. On the surface. There was something else. It snaked through the city at a lower level, like a sleek, smooth snake stalking a tiger. Their party disembarked after thanking the captain and their crew. They secured belongings to their horses then mounted up. They needed a guide and where better to find a guide or least a recommendation for one, then in a tavern.

The Springing Tiger was just north of the docks. A seemingly quiet place as they dismounted. Her legs seemed all wobbly again, which Elana found amusing because they had felt that same way when she had been aboard ship for the first time. She clutched at her horse’s mane for a moment until moving was more of a confident thing. Acting nonchalant, she joined Andras and the men as they entered the Inn/Tavern. Heads turned in their direction. Conversations came to a sudden halt as several pairs of eyes took them all in with a glance. She supposed they were quite a sight, two elves and numerous big, green men with wicked looking tusks jutting from their mouths. They were an intimidating lot, the orcs that is. They flanked Andras and herself. Silent. Wary. They didn’t care to be indoors. A quick glance at Andras and she led them to a back corner where there was a lot of space. They claimed a trestle table…. or two. Conversations resumed as they seated themselves. Whispers first, then a low hum and soon voices flowed at their usual level. Now and then, a curious glance was winged their way. Some lingered, some didn’t.

It was not long before the lithe and limber barmaids made their way to Andras and his contingent. They were friendly and congenial despite the momentary language barrier. It was easy enough to gesture for what was desired and for those things to be brought to their several tables.

Once they were all seen to, the keeper of the Springing Tiger ambled over; a short, stout woman with beady eyes and a steely stare. She reminded Andras of a shorter, less orcish version of Grensha. He laughed softly, clearing his throat quickly to cover it.

"Hello stranger. What brings you to Quei Lun? Business or pleasure?"

"Business."

"I see. What sort of business?"

"Personal business."

"The kind that requires no questions, only answers. I understand your kind of business, stranger. It seems then that the only answer I can give is where to find a guide. There are many here, but few that will earn their coin to take you where you want to go. I suggest you speak with Qua'lei over there..."

The matronly woman gestured toward a hooded figure sitting by themselves in the opposing corner of the room.

"...if you want to get where you're headed quickly and quietly."

The woman began heading back to her post behind the bar, stopping only once to turn and smile over her shoulder at Andras, her eyes moving to Elana and back again.

The discussion about who to barter with as a guide was short and unanimous. If the innkeeper suggested this Qua'lei person, then they would be the best choice. In a strange land it was hard to go on more than the advice of the natives. Andras stood and strode over to the corner where the hooded figure still sat, sipping slowly from a shallow cup, the matching bottle resting on the table. Andras stood silently, waiting for the strange person to acknowledge him...

Although the chatter in the tavern had resumed, Elana was well aware of the looks that were periodically sent their way. She wasn’t sure who was getting more stares, the Orcs or the Elves. Granted, the Orcs stood out more. She wondered if people of this land had ever seen either race before now. She settled for a mug of water and was sipping it as the maids kept wandering back with platters of food. It wasn’t long before a lone woman approached them. Cordial enough, there was a gleam of greed in her eyes that Elana didn’t care for. Sitting next to Andres, Elana couldn’t help but overhear the conversation, though her mind had wandered away for part of it. Her eyes had been scanning the room and had stopped more than once on a hooded form on the other side of the room.

”….. There are many here, but few that will earn their coin to take you where you want to go. I suggest you speak with Qua'lei over there…. if you want to get where you're headed quickly and quietly."

Quickly, yes. Quietly was another matter altogether. The Orcs , now that they were on dry land again, were getting antsy to be on their way. Craving action, no doubt. They more than likely wanted to be busting some heads open and spilling some guts. Elana glanced around at her companions, her lips quirking into a small smile. Eating and drinking, were the second favorite thing they seemed to enjoy but she could still sense their masked unease. The Orcs would rather be outdoors. They would get plenty of that on this trip, she was sure.

Her eyes watched Andras as he quietly excused himself and made his way over the hooded figure that the tavern proprietor had singled out. Just as quietly, her hand reached over her shoulder and untied the strap that held a sword on her back in place before that hand fell back to the table, fingers curling around her mug. It didn’t hurt to be prepared for trouble, though, she rather hoped they wouldn’t find any just yet. Her eyes weren’t the only ones following Andras across the room. His generals, though they were bantering with the men, also kept their eyes upon him. In fact, several other pairs of curious and interested eyes turned in the elf commander’s direction. They never lingered, though they returned time and time again.

"200 gold pieces."

The hooded figure never looked up, but the voice was distinctly feminine. Andras would have questioned how she knew what he was going to ask, but it had to be blatantly obvious considering the circumstances. Instead, he decided to inquire about her skill set.

"How can you assure me that we aren't getting led on some wild goose chase?"

"There are four men here that want you dead. Two will try in just a moment. Will their deaths alleviate your concerns? Don't speak, simply nod if it is true."

Andras' back went stiff for a moment. Four assassins? Already? Was it possible that Abraxus had set his dogs on them so soon? In truth, it didn't matter. He and his army would still march to the gates of Shei Jin and take him down. He nodded to the hooded figure, who nodded in return.

It took but a few moments for the first assassin to make his move. He rose from his table, palming a wicked-looking dagger. As he approached, his hand moved back preparing to strike. Before he could bring it forward, he fell to the ground, a loud grunt and a low gurgling sound. His throat had been cut by a keen blade, but the blood hadn't even touched Andras. The hooded figure still sat at her table, though her hand held a small circular blade. It was covered in blood.

Andras looked back and down at the would-be assassin. His life had ended in seconds; he hadn't even seen him approach, nor seen this Qua'lei person move to snuff him out. There was a glint, like that of the sun shining on steel, and a shriek as the second assassin met their end. This one was woman, one of the serving girls in fact. She held a large, long needle in both hands. They could have passed for utensils, but were clearly deadly weapons.

"Are you satisfied, elf?"

Andras' eyes shifted from the two dead bodies, which the matronly woman was having cleaned up as though it happened all the time, to Qua'lei. She had removed her hood, revealing a surprisingly attractive human woman. She had the almond-shaped eyes of the inhabitants of Xin Sheng, short raven hair, and a hardened demeanor that said she was no stranger to battle.

"Yes, that was...impressive. I hadn't even noticed them. Though, you said there were four. What happened to the last two?"

"They've fled. Their positions were compromised. They will be back, though. It would be to you and your army's benefit to be gone by that time."

"You're correct. Will you guide us?"

"Yes, though I will require half my reward before we start our journey. You seek the Shifting City of Shei Jin, and there is no more dangerous place to venture."

"Of course."

Qua'lei rose from her seat and accompanied Andras back to his table. He explained the arrangement and gave the order to move out. The orcs were happy to hear their march was beginning sooner rather than later. They still had the better part of the day ahead of them, and after a short stop for provisions they exited the eastern gates of Quei Lun with Qua'lei riding beside Andras and Elana.

"This will be the easy part of the journey. Stay alert though. There will be more assassins. Strangers are not taken kindly to by most."

Last edited:
Over the rim of her tavern mug, Elana watched. Words were spoken. They were faint, even for her sharp Elven hearing. She shifted in her chair, eyes darting about the room, but the figure struck before she could react. Someone else reacted quicker. Elana couldn’t be sure but she’d bet anything of worth that it was the hooded one who had done so. The body hit the floor deader stiffer than a door nail. No sooner did Elana’s eyes turn back to Andras and this Qua'lei person, then there was a shriek. Elana’s eyes widened substantially. What in the name of Emeru was going on here? A serving wench? What possibly could----- Elana’s eyes traversed the prone body and finally saw what she had failed to spot before, a pair of long needles in her hands. Elana had heard some faint tale of how these were used as weapons. Her eyes shifted back to Her Blade and the hooded one. The hood was pushed back to reveal short cropped black hair, slanted eyes set in an attractive human face. Even from where she sat, Elana could see that this woman was no stranger to fighting or battle. Though her muscles were still tense, Elana sat back, taking her mug with her, letting her eyes roam over the occupants of the tavern. Nothing seemed out of place, though, she would have thought the same thing just a few minutes ago. That brought her thoughts to more troubling matters.

Did Abraxus know he was being hunted already? No. Surely that wasn’t possible. Then why the assassin attacks on Andras? Someone knew they were here. Hells bells, who didn’t? They stood out like a sore thumb but who, other than Abraxus, would want them dead? Want Andras dead?

Elana’s eyes followed Andras who was being trailed by whom she guessed was this Qua’lei person. The guess had been correct. Andras took the time to explain the agreement. The Orcs could care less, they were here to fight and wherever their commander was, there was always a fight. In the meantime, they all ate and drank before settling up the bill and heading out of the tavern with Qua’lei in tow. Horses were mounted and their trek of dark days began with their guide’s words ringing in their ears.

"This will be the easy part of the journey. Stay alert though. There will be more assassins. Strangers are not taken kindly to by most."

The Orcs didn’t need to be told twice. None of them did for that matter. They were in strange lands and twice now, attempts had been made on Andras’ life. Elana swayed comfortably in her saddle, her eyes lazily, almost dreamily, taking in their surroundings as they left the city of Quei Lun. The look was deceiving. They rode quietly in an eastern direction. Andras, flanked by the women of his party, was quietly asking questioning Qua’lei. The Orcs were making noises, taunting each other, sporadically, one of them would be cuffed out of their saddle by another, bringing deep husky grunts of laughter from the other Orcs. Their antics made Elana smile. She tossed out an enflaming comment here or there which set them off to roaring again.

They left the sanctity of the city behind them and rode into lush green jungle. Tall stems of bamboo rose up out of the ground along their path. It grew thickly and curtained the interior of the jungle from their view for the most part. Water tinkled not far away. Colorful moths flew past them. Exotic birds flinted from tree to tree as if following the strangers in their midst. Knotted, twisted trees rose out of the ground to create a canopy over their heads. Elana felt rather than saw, movement in the jungle. The fine hair at the back of her neck stood up. The tingle of danger kissed her spine and slithered down it. There were eyes watching them. She sat up straighter in her saddle, her hand going over her shoulder to release the strap that held her sword in its scabbard. One would do for now. Her hand returned to rest on her thigh. Not knowing what to expect, so therefore, expecting anything. Except. Except for what came over the small rise before them.

It was the largest scorpion she had ever seen, it stood several feet taller then the men on either side of it, all were dressed in dark browns, greens and blacks.

Trouble hadn’t waited very long to find them.

Elana wasn't the only one to sense the danger close by. Andras and his captains were scanning their surroundings for the first sign of their would-be attackers. Instead, they came upon them as a group. Even having fought against massive crocodiles and sea monsters, the monstrous scorpion their foes were flanking was intimidating.

Qua'lei spoke softly to Andras and the rest. "The sting of the scorpion is deadly, but this beast is worse. Its poison burns with the heat of a roaring fire, melting men from the inside out. Those men are but pawns for the creature itself. It has a mind and it can reach into the minds of those fool enough to allow it close. We must use caution with..."

The orcs heard nothing of the warning, charging the beast. They wanted to whet their swords and axes and had not had a chance to do so for too long. They swung and hacked and slashed at the beast and its followers. Blood flew on the air, screams of both men and orc alike as the scorpion defended itself with sharp claws and a stinger the size of a battering ram jabbing down into shoulders and stomachs and even the head of one unfortunate follower of its own that had been used as a shield. Those struck cried out as though they were burning alive, their bodies slumping to the ground as though they were boneless. Even the flesh of those men melted away into a sludge of human remains.

Andras dismounted and waded into the battle with his men. The men that had accompanied the scorpion were dispatched easily enough, but the gargantuan creature was cunning and quick. It had many wounds in its carapace but nothing grievous had been dealt thus far. It called out in clicks and chatters that none could understand on a conscious level, but a few of the orcs began to turn on their brothers. They were disarmed and dragged away, leaving only those resolute enough to ignore the beast's ploy.

Qua'lei appeared beside Andras. He had not even heard her approach.

"We must secure its arms and stinger. Then the killing blow may be dealt. Until then, it will continue to parry and may even decide to run."

"How are we supposed to do that?"

"it cannot see in all directions. It has many blind spots."

Qua'lei pointed out several areas around the beast that the orcs stood without risking harm. Andras gave signaled orders to his men and with a great struggle, they subdued the creature's pincers. It thrashed wildly with its tail, fighting to be free. At that point, the elven commander wheeled around, looking for Elana.

"My Light, where are you?"

She was not typically far from him, even in the most feverish of skirmishes. His amethyst eyes went wide as he scanned the surroundings for her.

Damn Orcs! They seldom took the time to listen before they charged in. With a soft sigh of resignation, Elana jumped into the fray herself, invisible for the time being amongst the sea of green bodies. From behind the great scorpion came more men who charged into the fray with just as much fire as the Orcs. Moments into the fight, Elana found an opportunity to let her eyes seek out her Blade. The massive shell encased beast made it hard but eventually she spotted him swinging his sword. She could get to him easily and quickly from where she was. She left the foray of the scorpion to the Orcs, having her hands full of battling the humans. They were fleet of foot and deadly with a sword and they just seemed to keep coming. At one point, Elana reached over her shoulder and armed her off hand with her other sword. Up until this point, she was hardly injured. A deep scratch on her upper right arm from not getting out of the sword’s edge fast enough. Even now, blood flowed down her arm. It had been her first clue that these men were exceptional swordsmen. Her left cheekbone stung like hells fury and Elana had a feeling it was swelling as well. She ducked and rolled out of the way of two blades attacking at once. It was bad enough that she was going to have to report to Grensha after this. Someone was going to have to sew up her arm. If she didn’t pay closer attention to what she was doing, Andras was going to have her ass for getting herself severely injured or worse yet, killed. A quick glance toward the beastie and the Orcs, showed that the Orcs had been fast and furiously at work to secure its two front pinchers. The tail of the scorpion rose up and lashed out, time and time again. They would need to secure it. Somehow.

"My Light, where are you?"

Through the din of battle, she heard him. Praise the gods that graced them with such hearing. On the balls of her feet she waited for the strike to come. It did. Lightning quick. One blade arced up to block as the other dove inward, piercing her opponent like a bug on a pin. As he clutched his chest, she withdrew her blade to watch him fall limply into the sand before she sprinted to join her commander.

“At your back as usual, My Commander. Was there something on your mind?”

Despite the seriousness of their situation, there was a thread of humor in her tone as she parried another blade, applying the pommel of her sword to the back of a head. Killing an unconscious man never set well with her. He could thank whatever god or gods he worshiped that he still lived when he came to.

"At your back as usual, My Commander. Was there something on your mind?"

"Yes. Do you have any clever ideas for subduing the stinger of this monster? Every angle I think is open is quickly closed by its reflexes. It's a wonder it hasn't stung all of us by now. I fear we may need to call on more than steel to overcome this..."

Andras knew it was a hard thing to ask of her; the magic of her blades was something she did not carry lightly. If they were to move forward though, it was seemingly becoming more necessary to supplement their strength with arcana. His eyes scanned the battlefield, surveying the carnage. The scorpion's enslaved servants littered the ground, interspersed with a few of his own men. He could not....they could not afford more casualties. Where the remnants of their foes continued to fight, he saw a swift figure dashing between men, leaving a ribbon of red in its wake. It had to be Qua'lei. She was fast, but even she had to dodge the occasional swipe of the gargantuan scorpion's tail. Once he even saw it plunge into her stomach. But it was not her, merely an after-image. Her speed was unimaginable.

The idea came to him then, in a flash of brilliance.

"Qua'lei! Come here. We have need of your fleetness!"

His amethyst gaze fell upon Elana then.

"We will also need your swords."

"Yes. Do you have any clever ideas for subduing the stinger of this monster? Every angle I think is open is quickly closed by its reflexes. It's a wonder it hasn't stung all of us by now. I fear we may need to call on more than steel to overcome this..."

Elana had just sheathed her second sword when he spoke. There was a hesitation on her part. Andras spoke the truth. Elana had watched the great beast herself, observing it. Her mind had been spinning on how to subdue it before it took out any others. Even their guide had been having difficulty. She hadn’t been so quick on her feet, the animal would have fatally pierced her. Elana had been on the brink of suggesting a couple of ropes with a grappling hook on the end. If two of their own party could sling the grappling hook so that it and the rope wrapped around the stinger, both could maybe contain the stinger. That idea was ruined by the sudden swift movement of the beast’s stinger. How it moved so fast, fascinated Elana.

"Qua'lei! Come here. We have need of your fleetness!”

His amethyst gaze met Elana’s green ones.

"We will also need your swords."

Her swords? What did he have in mind?

“Andras…..” she hesitantly started then stopped.

Trust was called for here. Andras had never let her down. He had to know the guide could not call the magic contained in the swords nor could she wield it. Elana gave Qua’lei a critical look. She had no trust in the stranger. The woman had been bought after all. If Qua’lei’s services could be bought by Andras, surely they could be bought by anyone else paying more money. Elana turned her eyes back to Andras, this time they filled with curiosity. Her head inclined toward him as she spoke quietly.

“My swords are at your service, My Blade. As I am.”

Andras conversed with the two women whilst his men continued to keep the creature at bay. They had managed to avoid any further casualties, but the beast kept struggling mightily to free its pincers. It would win eventually, and so they needed to act quickly.

"Elana, how close do you need to be in order to cast that incapacitation spell? And Qua'lei, how quickly could you sever its stinger?"

He looked from one to the other, then to the battle still playing out yards away. His amethyst stare was concerned and calculating. The grip he'd been keeping on his sword was suddenly realized, his knuckles had gone bone-white.

"If we time it right, we can end this fight. And make sure that damned creature doesn't enslave any more people..."

"Elana, how close do you need to be in order to cast that incapacitation spell? And Qua'lei, how quickly could you sever its stinger?"

“My swords are of the elements, My Blade. I do not have to be close to cast their magic.”

As much as she wanted to add that she didn’t wish to cast at all, Elana bit back the words. If Andres felt it was the only way to deal with this, who was she to question him? Her mind cast over the elements themselves, trying to decide which approach was the best. There was only one. Earth. Water and Fire would be of no use here, except, perhaps, where a ring of fire would keep the scorpion contained within a certain area, but Elana wanted to do better than that to give Qua’lei better odds. Earth it would be.

Lowering her head, Elana drew in a deep breath, exhaling it slowly. There was no way of knowing how long the cast would hold so she prayed that Qua’lei was fast. Having watched the woman fight, Elana was almost sure that was the case. One hand, then the other, reached over her shoulder. Each set of fingers grasped and tightened around the grip of each sword. One, then the other, were pulled from their protective sheathes. Each sword was thrust into the fertile soil beneath their feet. One slightly up and to the right of her. The other set in exactly the same manner to her left. Elana herself was the third point. Between the three, they formed a triangle. The one he called His Light maintained her grasp on the swords as whispered words flowed from her lips. The words themselves were indistinguishable but it was clear to all around that something was happening. At first, the ground beneath their feet began to tremble. A gentle ripple from deep in the earth. Elana’s grip on the swords tightened. What happened next came hard and fast. The earth beneath the feet of the scorpion burst open as dark, thick green vines erupted, wrapping themselves around the legs of the predatory arthropod, seizing them firmly and before it could use its pincers, those too, were held fast by other vines exploding from the ground. Only the tail whipped about dangerously as the stinger on the end darted out fast and furious, trying to pierce any foolish enough to come within range.

The ground shook. The orcs were just as startled as the scorpion, thrown off-guard by the eruption of vines and roots from the ground, holding the monstrous arachnid in place. Its stinger continued to sway and strike wildly.

Andras looked to Elana, watching her concentration. She was an avenging angel, stern eyes and set jaw. Qua'lei was...nowhere to be seen. The elven commander's eyes scanned the battlefield, searching for their companion and guide. He found only the after-images of her dashing closer and closer to the scorpion. The massive point of the stinger dripped its deadly venom, plunging into the ground around it as it struggled to free itself and fight back.

There was the sound of wings, a flock of ravens flapping madly, followed by a flash of light and the shrill cry of the scorpion as its last remaining weapon was severed from itself. Qua'lei stood back where she had started, breathing as though she had run several leagues. Her blades were coated in the viscous green blood of the monster.

"The deed is done. We should dispatch the beast. It cannot be allowed to seek vengeance."

Qua'lei cleaned her blades and returned them to their sheaths, hidden on her person, giving a glance to both Elana and Andras before wandering off to let them attend to the finishing of the beast.

Andras strode forward, hefting his sword above his head. The final blow was dealt. The creature slumped to the ground, unmoving. The elf's look was solemn; it was not a light task, but one necessary for their continued progress. His aubergine eyes went from the carcass of the monster to his men and finally to Elana.

"Onward. We have much ground to cover."

Andras found his horse and mounted, waiting for his regiment to do the same.

Elana’s hands tightened on her swords until her knuckles were white. Her eyes were blank as she allowed herself to become a vessel for the Earth magic. The magic crackled through her, rippled under her skin and made her sick to her stomach but her focus never wavered. Only when the creature’s life force ebbed from its body did she feel the magic seep from her body and flow back into the earth. Elana’s hands eased their grip upon the swords. Her eyes unclouded and came back to the present. Her chest still rose and fell with expended exertion. She was weak in the knees but not about to let on, instead, one by one, she withdrew a sword from the ground and returned each of them to their rightful place on her back. Though it was slow going, she eased over to her horse and was never so glad to mount up again. The Orcs had seen to disposing of the scorpion before the last of them had mounted up again as well.

"Onward. We have much ground to cover."

With reins in hand, Elana turned her horse and rejoined Andras at the head of the party. She rode up beside him, looking slightly pale but little else.

“Ready when you are, Commander.”

Her voice could have been a bit steadier, but magic took its own toll. Hopefully, she wouldn’t be called upon to use it again anytime soon. A gentle kick to the sides of her horse and she was on the move again. So far, this new land was proving to keep them on their toes. It made Elana wonder what they would run into next.

Their path was winding, twisting in and out of the jungles and prairies that seemed to dot the landscape of Xin Sheng in random and peculiar patterns. They passed ruins of ancient civilizations that Qua'lei told them had died out eons ago. Somehow their structures still remained, even though they were broken and shattered. Shei Jin was a mere week's journey from them. They had encountered other traveling bands, treasure seekers and bandits alike, all were amicable enough. No casualties befell them; the gods must have been standing vigilant over their course.

On the journey, Andras spent much of his time thinking. He was certain that bringing Abraxus down would be the only way to ensure Elana's safety, but all the things that the Arcane had been responsible for, all the things that they were capable of, if he sought to bring them back in all their old glory...it was dangerous. In rising against him, he had brought his goal that much closer. He would have to protect Elana, no matter the cost. He had seen the toll her magics took on her after the scorpion. He was grateful that he had not needed to call on her in that capacity any further.

He also pondered Qua'lei's motivations. She seemed interested in more than just the gold he'd promised her. She attacked any obstacle with grim determination and on a few occasions, he saw a look in her eyes that seemed strangely familiar. The fire of vengeance he'd had in his own eyes not so long ago. Perhaps the young guide and skilled assassin had more stake in their mission than she let on.

It was a bright and clear morning when they beheld the shimmering golden city of Shei Jin. It was upon a hill, glinting like an oversized tinkerer's project. Cogs and clockwork buildings turned and cranked and groaned as they moved in a slow and inexorable way. No two buildings turned the same way at the same time, nor did they move in the same direction twice.

"There is the great moving city. There is the crown of Xin Sheng, seated on the crown of the world." Qua'lei told them as they came to a halt. They had a commanding vantage point of the surrounding cities. They were all ancient-looking. There were huge trees at the outskirts, sprouting gnarled branches the length of ships and as tall as any tower Andras had beheld.

"They call them Kyojin trees. Their roots descend deep into the earth and their branches reach the heavens, sometimes even higher. No one has ever been able to climb to the very top, but they say that if you can, the dew that collects there will make you immortal."

"An interesting fable. However, we're not here for the trees. We came for that city and that damnable Abraxus."

"And you shall have him. Once we pass through the Ghost Market."

"Ghost Market?"

"The city that stands between Shei Jin and the rest of Xin Sheng. On all sides is the Ghost Market. Once a thriving city of its own, a ring of commerce and art and culture. Now only the remnants of society inhabit the empty streets. They say that those who die trying to claim the treasures of Shei Jin end up here, in the Ghost Market."

"No man nor ghost will stand in my way."

"Many have made the same claim. As you wish..."

With that, Qua'lei led Andras and his orcs down into the still, tranquil-looking city of white alabaster and sandstone structures. It was deathly quiet, save the sounds of the orcs and horses.

Their continued journey after dealing with the scorpion was uneventful, for the most part. They had come across other travelers, all of whom Elana found to be “colorful” and interesting. She was wary of the bandits but they turned out to be good-humored enough. Still, there was Qua’lei. The woman made Elana uneasy for some reason. The elf shifted in her saddle, trying to ease…something. She wasn’t sure if it was her state of mind or her body from riding in the saddle for so long or her nebulous thoughts of their guide.

The ruins they passed caught Elana’s interest. She listened with rapt attention when Qua’lei spoke of them. The young elf would have loved to have walked amongst such ruins, but they were there to accomplish a mission not to sight see or explore. The scorpion battle had taken a bite out of their time. The Orcs, while content for the moment, wouldn’t remain so for long. Battle was in their blood. They lived for it. Thrived on it. As for herself, her body was still recovering from the use of the swords imbued magics. It left her feeling lethargic and weakened. So, in many ways, she was grateful they hadn’t run into any more trouble thus far.

A week later, they topped the crest of small ridge to behold a hill and sitting upon that hill was the gloriously iridescent city of Shei Jin. It was, by far, in her opinion, an architectural wonder. Buildings turned slowly and each of them turned in their own fashion, never the same direction for any given two. But even as the city captured her imagination, it was the trees on the outskirts of the city that stole her breath.

"They call them Kyojin trees. Their roots descend deep into the earth and their branches reach the heavens, sometimes even higher. No one has ever been able to climb to the very top, but they say that if you can, the dew that collects there will make you immortal."

As their party stopped, Elana looked upward, curiously wistful that perhaps she’d catch a brief glimpse of the top of one of them. A desire to be denied her. How many had tried to reach the top of one of these Kyojin trees and died for their efforts? Elana was brought abruptly back to the current conversation.

"An interesting fable. However, we're not here for the trees. We came for that city and that damnable Abraxus."

"And you shall have him. Once we pass through the Ghost Market."

"Ghost Market?"

Ghost Market?

"The city that stands between Shei Jin and the rest of Xin Sheng. On all sides is the Ghost Market. Once a thriving city of its own, a ring of commerce and art and culture. Now only the remnants of society inhabit the empty streets. They say that those who die trying to claim the treasures of Shei Jin end up here, in the Ghost Market."

Her words made Elana shiver. The fine hairs on the back of her neck stood up. She was not one given to trust in rumors or tales, but she had learned that such things always held a root of truth. They were in a foreign land, where tales and spirits abounded. Grains of truth, aye. The only problem was sorting truth from actual fiction in such a place where oft times, truth manifested.

Their entourage were on the move once more. Down toward the city of Shei Jin. Everyone was quiet as they followed behind Andras, Qua’lei and Elana. Perhaps they were curious about this city whose buildings turned independently of each other. A city that shimmered with the purity of white. Their horses, exhausted now by their long trek, headed through the city’s gates. Food and drink were needed, for all of them. Secretly, Elana hoped for a cool bath. The sun had been merciless on her pale skin. She could feel the heat that permeated across her shoulders and down her arms. She wrinkled her nose slightly and felt her skin crinkle. It was probably sun burnt as well. Elana turned her head as they came through the gates of the city, looking for the residents of Shei Jin. Studying them would not only take her mind off of the things she craved but also would give her a hint about the people who lived here and what to expect from them. Would they be friendly? Hostile? She glanced in Qua’lei’s direction, silently assessing their guide. Elana brought her horse to an abrupt halt as the other two did. What had she missed? Her head swiveled and her eyes found a silent, wizened man slightly taller than herself, standing in the direct path of their horses. Moments later people spilled out onto the street, lining either side of their company. The female elf shifted in her saddle. There was nothing apparently hostile about these people, but one could never be sure of that. Ever.

Last edited:
The almond-shaped eyes and heart-shaped faces that the people of Xin Sheng had were made a caricature by the features of the old man who stood before them. He was dressed in simple robes of silk and cotton, the wide cuffs of them much larger than was strictly necessary. He had a small half-smile permanently creased into his cheeks and the corners of his mouth, even as he spoke. He did not address Elana, nor Andras. His words and his feet were directed only on Qua'lei.

"Young traveler, what brings you to the Ghost Market?"

"We seek to enter Shei Jin, the Clockwork City. We have business there."

"It would seem you rush for nothing. The city is barred. None may enter without the permission of the Emperor. Perhaps you should cool your heels and rest your horses here. I could send an envoy to request that you be allowed entrance..."

"No. We will enter the city, by the Emperor's leave or not."

"You are as headstrong as you have always been, little kunoichi...."

Qua'lei looked at the old man as if she might remember who he was, but the memory was fleeting and she was stern once more. The old man spoke before she could dwell on it further, turning to finally address Andras and Elana in turn.

"You, young man...your heart is full of fire, your eyes are full of vengeance...but if you continue on this path, your soul will only be full of sadness."

"And you, pretty dear. You are more important than you know. That necklace..."

His smile seemed to widen as his gaze fell on her collar.

The people that lined the street into the Ghost Market all seemed to look at her in unison, but the moment was as fleeting as Qua'lei's puzzlement.

The old man bowed to them and turned back to the home he had exited.

"Please, I implore you to take at least a small respite. You have ridden far and you are all tired. There is a well at the end of this street and many of the houses here are empty. Your troops may take freely of the food in the bazaar at the crossroads by the well, but remember that greed is a thief whose blade is sharper than any pang of hunger."

He gave one last look at Qua'lei, his half-smile still in place, before he disappeared into his house.

Andras had watched the entire time, enthralled by the way the people here looked. They were pale and thin, but no one looked hungry, none of them seemed to be there against their will, and when the old man departed, they dispersed back to their own homes, some wandering the streets on unknown errands while a few stuck around to observe the band of orcs. They gave them curious looks and smiles and laughed when one of the green-skinned men gave a grunt or growl in their directions. He gave the order to dismount and gather supplies. His men would need their strength if they were to enter the city in defiance. He rode his own horse down to the well, tying it off and getting water for it and himself, leaning against a post, watching as his men went about eating and resting and cavorting with some of the townsfolk. There was a strange air of calm, as though the Ghost Market had an aura of peace about it.

An elder of this city, for Elana took him as such, spoke directly to Qua’lei which stirred Elana’s curiosity since it seemed obvious, at least to her, that Andras led this expedition. These were obviously his troop of foreigners. The elf turned slightly in her saddle to gaze upon their hired guide, listening and then realizing, this elder knew Qua’lei or at the very least, knew of her. There was an undertone of familiarity in his voice that Elana caught but now was not the time to question it.

"And you, pretty dear. You are more important than you know. That necklace..."

Elana’s head turned sharply, eyes focusing on the man before them, who stood there smiling up at her. Unconsciously, her hand came up to the collar around her neck, fingertips grazing it. How could he know anything about it? What did he know of it? What had he meant? She was important to her village and to Andras, most assuredly. Her hand fell back to the horn of her saddle before she looked to Andras. Even before she could speak aloud, to ask what he wanted to do, Andras gave the order to dismount. He rode his horse down to the town’s well and dismounted himself. Elana took her time before joining him. She dipped water for the horse before she sated her own thirst. As she leaned against the brick well, her eyes scouted their surrounding area. Curtains twitched, yet no faces were actually seen, but she knew they were being watched, curiously or suspiciously. The bucket was returned to the well before Elana shoved away from it, fetching a small pouch from her saddle bag. She removed something from it before holding it out to Andras.

“Jerky. Want some?”

Elana tore a piece off with her teeth and chewed, watching as Qua’lei joined them at the well. The muscles in her jaw were aching before she could swallow. Damn jerkified beastie that Grensha made at the beginning of this trip. It wasn’t that it tasted bad, it was just tough as boot leather, probably worse actually, if her jaw muscles were any implication. She paused in her eating, leaned a shoulder against one of his and softly inquired in his ear.

“How would that elder know anything about my collar, My Blade?”

Andras tore a chunk of jerky off with his teeth as well, chewing thoughtfully as Elana asked her question. He turned his head to look at her, jaws still working at the last of the toughened meat of the monster.

"I have no clue, My Light. In a place such as this, where magic is at its very heart perhaps the people have a sense for it. He seemed quite the wizened fellow."

His amethyst eyes drifted to Qua'lei as she stood by the well. Their young guide seemed to be watching for the old man to return. She was pensive and tense, both things that did not seem natural for her.

Andras beckoned her over and once she was before them both he spoke in a soft tone.

"That man, the elder...he seemed to know you. The way you've been staring about makes me wonder if you know him as well..."

"His face is familiar. I feel as though I should be able to place him but I cannot. That is what troubles me."

"I see. Perhaps we should simply ask him. We know where his home is."

"No. It is best that we keep our stay in the Ghost Market as brief as possible."

"I agree. The men could use just a little more time before we move on. You should see to your provisions as well."

"I will."

The lithe kunoichi turned on her heel and walked off to gather whatever supplies she needed.

Andras watched her depart, eyes moving over the rest of the crossroads. He finally brought his gaze back to Elana's face. The mere sight of her made him smile. They were close to their goal. The calm of the Ghost Market was filling Andras with the same sense of peace. Urgency was a fleeting thought.

-------------

Elsewhere in the Ghost Market, some of the townsfolk were gathered by a stone obelisk carved with intricate runes. The ground rumbled for an instant and the runes lit up in various colors. The people circling the pillar were normal one moment, but the next...they had been transformed, twisted into violent, murderous monstrosities. In another moment they returned to normal, dispersing back into the populace.

Elana chewed her jerky thoughtfully while idly fingering the collar around her throat. Magic. Her collar was definitely that. This place? Her eyes roamed over the buildings thoughtfully, her mind reflecting on the old man who had greeted them. Learned magic or inherited? Elana couldn’t be sure but magic did inhibit this place. It made her skin tingle.

Andras had beckoned their guide over. Elana turned her attention to the woman but refrained from speaking. There was more to this woman then either of them knew, but then, Qua'lei was a stranger they had hired in a tavern. Elana’s face was a mask of withdrawn concentration, it was broken by spying Andras’ smile. She couldn’t help but smile back at him as Qua’lei walked off. Reaching out, her hand found his and lightly squeezed it.

“I think I’ll go take a walk before we head out again.”

Leaning close to Andras, her lips brushed a path from his jaw to his ear before she shoved away from her perch and began to walk. The streets were deserted. The movement of a window curtain twitching here or there, Elana caught from the corner of her eye but instead of reacting by way of acknowledgement, she simply kept walking. Suddenly, the ground rumbled beneath her feet, making her stop in her tracks. What the….? It stopped as quickly as it had appeared. After a moment, Elana resumed her walk. She stopped to admire the crafts in one shop window. In another, a dagger caught her eye. Her fingers curled over the door knob and twisted but to no avail. The shop was locked. Making a face of disappointment, she stepped back, her eyes going to dagger in the window. It’s edge gleamed in the sunlight. Perhaps she could bring Andras back here another time.

The fine hairs on the back of her neck abruptly stood up, a shiver slid down her spine, leaving a chill in its wake. Slowly, so as not to draw attention to herself, Elana turned her head one way then another. Her eyes perceived nothing to account for the reaction. Strange. Very strange. Another sensation invaded her awareness. Fine boned fingertips brushed over the collar at her throat. Were the jewels activating again? If so, why? Was there an unseen, unknown threat awaiting them? With greater caution than she had begun her walk with, Elana made her way back to the square where she had left Andras and the horses.

There was something about this place……

Andras and his men were gathering the last of their provisions when the calm that was seemingly an integral part of the Ghost Market exploded into chaos. Men and women and children that appeared innocuous became revolting, twisted monsters with too many joints and slavering jaws. They attacked the orcs unawares, disappearing before they could be apprehended, only to appear elsewhere in the area.

Those people not affected by the transformation ran for their lives in a frenzy of fear. Andras rallied his troops and they felled several of the creatures. When they died, their bodies returned to normal after expelling a spark of dark energy which drifted into the air and dispersed. Qua'lei was nowhere to be seen amidst the fighting, nor was the elderly leader of the villagers. When all seemed to have returned to order the sounds of fighting rang loud and clear, echoing from the crossroads with the well. Andras and his captains ran toward the sound and arrived in time to see Qua'lei and the elder battling the last remnants of the mysterious and monstrous townsfolk. The old man moved with a grace unexpected of someone his age, while Qua'lei was her usual spry self. The fight may not have gone on long save for the fact that they were attempting to bring no harm to the monsters. They knew their true nature and an end without injury was their goal. A goal drifting further from their grasp as the monsters grew more ferocious in their attacks.

Andras made a move to join the fray only to have the elder warn him away. The elven commander had no choice but to watch as the battle drug on. To keep from feeling entirely helpless, he searched for Elana. It wouldn't due to lose her this close to their target. But the risk still remained. His amethyst eyes scanned the gathered soldiers, the villagers still scrambling to find safety.

Her journey back to the area where she had left Andras had been at a stroll. Had been. As she drew closer to the square, the sounds of a commotion set her feet into a run. Rounding a corner, Elana came to a dead stop, her eyes flickering through the chaos she behold, searching for Andras. What in the name of Hades was going on here? Where had all these monsters come from? Her hand reached over her shoulder and drew out one of her blades.

There he was! Deep in the fray, like always. She hastened to join him but was brought up short by a twisted hand that was abnormally strong and latched onto her arm. A sudden twist of her body, a raised arm, a sharp, quick, hard drive of her elbow into its face secured her freedom once more. Reflex had her sword arm coming swiftly down on the twisted form that lay at her feet, unmoving. The tip of her blade rested momentarily against its throat. Much to her surprise, Elana watched as the twisted mass morphed back into a normal human being. A young man. A soft curse rent the air as she resheathed her sword and knelt down, checking the youth for an injuries she may have caused. Once more she wondered what was going on. He was going to be fine. He’d have a large bruise on the side of his face and quite possibly a black eye but at least he was alive. Elana drug him out of the street and against the wall of a shop before she ran off to join Andras.

The young queen appeared at his elbow.

“Are you all right, Commander? What in Hades is happening around here? Where did all these distorted people come from?”

Her eyes took in the corpses littering the streets. They seemed normal enough. A distinct difference from the twisted and grotesque forms still fighting against the elder they had spoken to earlier and Qua’lei.

“What form of magic and trouble have we stepped into, My Blade?”

"I'm fine my Light. These...things seem to have come from somewhere deeper in the city. I'm not sure what's possessed them but they return to their original forms once they've been subdued. Qua'lei and the elder seem to be holding their own well enough. I just feel helpless standing on the sidelines..."

Together the elves watched as the old man and young woman fought side by side, moving fluidly in unison, turning attacks aside almost casually. The grotesques that assaulted them were dauntless, striking out savagely, clawing and snarling like rabid beasts though they retained a small portion of their humanity.

After a tenuous struggle the battle ended, the last few monstrosities returned to their human forms. The elder stood over their unconscious bodies muttering prayers in a foreign tongue while Qua'lei tended to her minor wounds. Andras approached the elder with a ponderous look on his face.

"What happened to them?"

"Vile energy polluted their bodies, twisting them into dark servants. It appears that Abraxus knows of your presence and he seeks to hinder your advance. It is best that you move now, before he sends more of his minions to harm my people, and yours."

Andras went to speak on, but the elder's eyes gave him pause. There was a sadness there, deep and chilling. What had happened here was due to their presence. Abraxus was a cruel and deplorable being to bring such terrors into existence. The elf's amethyst eyes burned with an almost visible fire of anger. He turned to his soldiers and ordered them to prepare for departure immediately. His eyes moved to Elana, his stare softening as he looked upon her.

The elder was nowhere to be found as they gathered at the inner gate of the Ghost Market, but before they set out, his voice echoed along the seemingly-empty walls.

"Where you venture now there are only two destinies: victory and damnation. May the gods guide you toward the former, and may they have mercy if you find the latter."

He paused and regarded Qua'lei directly.

"Your anger guides you, much like the man with purple eyes. But your spirit is much like his lover. You must have been drawn to them due to your resonance. Find your balance, and you shall find your own destiny. Help them, guide them, but do not interfere."

Qua'lei stared at the elder with a look of confusion, again seeming to recognize him, yet not completely. She gave him a curt nod and turned her horse to move with the rest of Andras' orcs.

As they rode on toward Shei Jin, Andras guided his horse beside Qua'lei.

"Do you remember him now?"

"He...he reminds me very much of my grandfather."

"Is that strange?"

"Yes...only because my grandfather died when I was very little. I never knew him in my adolescence, only fleeting memories from early childhood."

"I see. It is called the Ghost Market after all..."

"True. But enough of the past. Our future lies before us."

Andras nodded and urged his horse back toward Elana, giving her a grim smile.

The shifting towers of Shei Jin glinted in the light as they moved and changed, growing closer on the horizon.

Back