"The Reading of the Will" (closed)

AngelEyes1994

Literotica Guru
"The Reading of the Will"

CLOSED

Angel Vance stood outside the Tipton Mansion trying to get up the nerve to enter it. Her grandfather, Joseph Tipton, had died 11 days earlier, and today his lawyer was here to read the will.

It wasn't the contents of the Will that concerned Angel, of course; Grampa Joe had told her repeatedly during his final years that she would continue to live in comfort and security after his passing. Angel had come to live with Joseph Tipton at the young age of 13 years and 13 days, after the tragic auto accident deaths of her parents. Over the next 6 years, the Tipton Mansion had come to be a home to Angel like she'd never imagined possible, and Grampa Joe had come to love his youngest of grandchildren in a way that he never had with any of his other relatives.

Regarding Angel's continuing comfort and security, Joseph Tipton was most definitely able to assure these to Angel. He had been a billionaire three times over upon his death, a self made man whose hard work and grand visions had turned a $55,000 bank loan into an international real estate empire in less than two decades.

Over those decades, Joseph Tipton and the high school sweetheart he'd married had begun and cared for a large family: 8 children were born to Joseph and Marilyn Tipton, and from those 8 children -- Angel's mother had been the last -- had come 38 grandchildren and, with a new birth just three days ago, 24 great-grandchildren.

This was the concern that was causing Angel to tremble deep down inside. Today was to be the first time that she would be face to face with all 7 of Joseph Tipton's living children and their current spouses; thankfully, all of the great-grandchildren and any grandchildren under 18 years of age had been specifically nixed from the Will reading by Joseph's lawyer.

Joseph Tipton's descendants were, of course, Angel Vance's relatives, too. But she barely knew them. Each of Joseph's children had gone out into the world to find their own fame and fortune; they took with them their high school diplomas or their university degrees and, of course, a financial boost from their already-a-billionaire father, and they'd barely come back to visit.

The only time that they regularly came back to the Tipton Mansion was for the Thanksgiving weekend get-together or for a loan from the Old Man, something he'd done freely in the beginning and yet did far less often and to a much smaller degree as the years passed.

As she stood outside her and Grampa Joe's home, Angel realized that she'd never at a time ever in her life been in a room with more than two of them -- usually a married couple desperate for financial relief -- except during that 5 day annual holiday event at the mansion.

Drawing a deep breath, holding it, then letting it rush out, Angel headed up the steps, into the house, and down the hall to the library. She stopped in the door at the sight of all the family assembled, some sitting, some standing, and some milling about anxiously. Most of them looked Angel's way at some point; few of them returned the smile she shared with them.

Finding one empty dining table style chair sitting empty in a back corner, Angel sat and waited for the event to begin. Martin Brill entered and cut through the crowd to sit at Joseph Tipton's desk; he had been Grampa Joe's attorney for more than 30 years.

"Shall we begin?" he asked, opening a leather folder before him. "We are gathered here for the reading of the last will and testament of Joseph Tipton, and as this will take some time, I suggest we get right to it."

Martin began with the disbursement of large sums of money to a long list of charitable organizations, universities, trade schools, and non-profits that were mostly social welfare related. Reading directly from the will, Martin spoke Joseph's words, "'I built my wealth on the backs of many people who will never know and enjoy the good life I myself lived, so I now do my best to give back to them by supporting those agencies and peoples who know them the best.'"

"Just ... just how much money is he giving away?" one of his children asked with dismay.

Martin didn't hesitate to give a precise answer: "One point three-five billion dollars, to be disbursed from a trust fund overseen by my law firm over the next twelve years."

There was a collective gasp through the library, followed by a rolling rumble of questions, comments, and criticisms; they were all essentially variations of What the hell is he doing giving our money away to poor people he didn't even know.

Angel simply sat in the back, silent and still, trying to make herself look as small as could be. She'd had a hand in Joseph's decision of who got how much of that money; they used to sit together in the renovated attic on stormy nights, eating cookies and drinking hot cocoa while they watched the lightning and listened to the thunder and talked about the good his money could do for this group or that agency. Angel was herself responsible for most of the benefactors Martin had just named, not that she or the lawyer were going to tell the others that.

"Moving on now to family," Martin said loudly, trying to cut off the moaning and groaning. The room went silent quickly with the sudden understanding by the individuals assembled that they were each about to find out just how much of the remaining dollars they were about to inherit. Martin flipped a page and began, "To secure the futures of my great-grandchildren and grandchildren, I have established a trust fund for each in the amount of $100,000 to be used for tuition, fees, books, and other costs related directly or indirectly to a worthwhile education at the university or trade school of their choosing."

There was another roll of murmurs as the parents of those children realized that they were no longer going to have to worry about or be responsible for the outrageous costs of college for their children. Some of the parents were likely already considering tapping into those college funds for their own benefits, but that ended quickly as Martin explained that the trusts' moneys would be disbursed directly by his firm and would be otherwise untouchable by the family.

Angel couldn't help but smile from her little corner in the back of the room. She was one of those grandchildren, of course, which meant that she would have enough money to finish her university education and, possibly, do some traveling afterward before figuring out what she was going to do for employment for the rest of her life.

"To my children..." Martin continued, once again causing the room to go silent in anticipation.

The lawyer hesitated a moment, drawing and exhaling a calming breath; he was anticipating an uproar like they hadn't yet seen with what he had to say next. He began reading a letter written by Joseph to his children in which he told them that he had always loved them and wished them the best in life, but that he'd been disappointed in them for seeing him as little more than a penny bank for their thrills and frills or for bailing them out of their poor choices with regards to business ventures about which he had personally warned them but about which they'd ignored his sage advice.

The mood was getting ugly, and the lawyer had to thrice stop talking and glare out at the family in an effort to silence them.

"To each of my living children," Martin continued reading, "I leave..."

Martin began listing off some of his possessions, items that had had a particular meaning to each of his offspring and/or their spouses or children. None of the items listed had any great monetary value; there were a few paintings or statues or other works of art, but few of them had resale value of more than a number in the lowest of 5 figure ranges.

"What about the money?" one of the impatient relatives finally blurted out. "You can list off all the art and shit we'll toss into our cars' trunks for the rides home later. Tell us about the money! Who gets the money?"

Martin ignored the anxious adult child and kept reading until he reached the bottom and turned the page. Again, he hesitated, taking in and releasing a deep breath. "In regards to the Tipton Estate's property and all the assets contained within that have not yet been bequeathed ... the company's assets both in the US and abroad ... and Joseph's personal portfolio of stocks, bonds, and cash..."

All around the room, the family members were reacting in their own anxious and excited and nervous ways. Meanwhile in the back of the room, Angel simply sat there in silence, pondering; would her own inheritance -- after the expense of university, of course -- be enough to finance a month long trip to France or would she have to settle on a weekend in Quebec for a chance to use the French she'd been learning since 9th grade?

Martin continued, "...estimated to be worth $2.21 billion dollars, US..."

He looked up, scanning the faces of his client's greedy little sons and daughters. Then, leaning just enough to be able to catch the eyes of the teenager sitting in the extreme back of the room, Martin finished, "...is to be left to my granddaughter, Angel Elizabeth Vance."

As if operating of one mind, each and every head in the room spun slowly to look directly at the 19 year old sitting in the corner. Angel was just as surprised as the others were: her eyes were wide, her mouth had fallen open, and the blood had rushed from her already fair skinned face to leave her looking white as a ghost.

"We're done here," Martin said, closing the leather folder and standing.

But the room wasn't done with him as the men and women there exploded in dismay, disbelief, and outright rage at what they'd heard. Most of it was directed at the lawyer, while to a lesser degree a bit of it was aimed at the teen now cringing in the corner.

Angel couldn't take the fury of her family members and suddenly leaped up to flee. She ran down the hall, out of the house, and across the manicured lawn and through the sculpted gardens to the stables. She hid in a corner of her horse's stall, trembling down deep inside, and tried to figure out what this all meant.

Grampa Joe had left it all to her.

Joseph Tipton, billionaire real estate mogul, had given his entire fortune to her.

Angel ... was a billionaire!

Scott Stewart had arrived earlier than probably everyone else. The young man in his early 30's, with something of a bookish appearance but he was certainly outgoing and approachable, had donned a black polo shirt and khakis to take one of his favorite horses out for a ride around the property.

He had once been a somewhat "legitimate" part of the family, his mother marrying into one of the outlying branches of the family, after the blood-related wife had divorced out of the family. It was a whole complex affair that had successfully been kept quiet, as had the next divorce which meant that Scott and his mother weren't part of the family at all anymore. But by then he had gathered a small pile of proverbial kindling in the form of a modest law firm that specialized in cases where the bigwigs were trying to cover their asses from something that his side was trying to hold them accountable for. And like the lone survivor tending his fire in the cold wilderness, with patience and perseverance he had eventually grown and expanded until he had a sizable portfolio of his own.

At any rate, at present he had had a good, invigorating ride and had begun to lead his horse into the stables when something caught his attention: a rather attractive young redhead who he vaguely remembered as his former step-cousin. But she didn't know about the 'former' part.

Hopping off his horse and leading the chestnut mare into the stall next to the one occupied by Angel, he said, "You look like you've either won the lottery or seen a ghost. Or maybe the ghost gave you the winning numbers."

Last edited:
Angel had been sobbing as her unexpected visitor arrived at the far end of the large and very impressive stables. She would have missed Scott's arrival entirely if her stallion, Lightning, hadn't smelled the approach of the in-heat mare and begun jerking his head up and down in excitement and snorting loudly.

The heir to the Tipton fortune wiped her eyes and cheeks, hopped up, and wiped away the wood chips and straw sticking to her dress, legs, and flat soled shoes.

"You look like you've either won the lottery or seen a ghost." the man said to Angel as he put the horse away in her stall. "Or maybe the ghost gave you the winning numbers."

Angel didn't immediately respond; she didn't know this man but more than that, she didn't know what to say. Hi, I just inherited over $2 billion dollars from my dead grandfather and my relatives hate me 'cause they got nothing. Oh, and how was your ride? Yeah. No. That wasn't going to happen.

"How was your ride on Izzy?" Angel asked instead. Not realizing that the man was already familiar with the horse, she explained, "Her name is Queen Isabella, she's in heat, and if you think you're done with her, I'm sure Lightning would be tickled to have you put her in his stall."

Angel laughed at her rather lewd suggestion, explained that she was just kidding, and asked, "Should I know you? You'll have to forgive me. Grampa Joe's family is rather large, and I have to admit that I haven't met everyone."

She studied the man for a moment and started to believe that maybe she had met him once before, years ago when she was a little girl. Angel couldn't know that Grampa Joe had been conducting a somewhat secretive family relationship with this man and his mother for years, encounters that had occurred when Angel was away at school or other places. Grampa Joe had always had secrets, but it would never have occurred to Angel that he kept things like surprise relatives from her..

She stepped closer and shoved out her hand. "I'm Angel. I live here. Joseph Tipton was my grandfather ... Grampa Joe."

"Wow, my step-cousin is such a chatterbox!" He chuckled at her joke and shut and latched Izzy's stall, and led Angel out of the barn. Taking out a handkerchief, he handed it to her and said, "I believe the gold-diggers would be all over the heiress to the Tipton fortune if they knew you were crying," he said, tapping the side of his nose conspiratorially. "In case you forgot, Scott Stewart, of Stewart, Morgan and Brill law firm. You might have heard that we were instrumental in toppling the Titan corporation after they were caught cutting costs by adding lead to their airplane fuselages." He didn't mention that the very same Brill in the firm's name was "Granpa Joe's" attorney. It wouldn't be necessary, he surmised.

Last edited:
"Wow, my step-cousin is such a chatterbox!"

Step-cousin? Angel thought with widened eyes. How...? Who...? She had a great many questions for this guy, but right now he was busy putting the horses away and commenting, "I believe the gold-diggers would be all over the heiress to the Tipton fortune if they knew you were crying."

Angel tilted her head in a gesture of curiosity, wondering how he'd known she'd inherited Grampa Joe's estate and wealth even before she had. Then he gave the answer to both that question and to his identity: "...Scott Stewart, of Stewart, Morgan and Brill law firm."

Martin's firm, she thought to herself. This man was not only a member of the firm that had handled Joe's legal issues for decades but he was also a relative? He had said step-cousin, though. This made Angel search her memory of the twisted and tangled branches that composed the Tipton family tree.

Of Joseph's 8 children, there had been a total of 18 marriages, some lasting decades while others ended after as little as 7 months. Angel couldn't keep them all straight and, of course, wouldn't have even tried. Grampa Joe had often told Angel that even he couldn't keep them straight, mostly because he didn't care.

She would be surprised later on to find that of all the marriages and family ties amongst his children, Scott's tie to him was one Joseph had treasured secretly yet very, very deeply.

As they headed out of the stables, Angel asked timidly, "So ... you know what just happened in there, I guess? The Will?"

He answered, and Angel confessed, "I didn't see this coming. Grampa Joe's been telling me for years that after he gave each one of them -- the relatives -- a small but generous amount of money, the rest of it was going to charity. I honestly thought that was where it was all going. Never did I imagine he would give it to me."

They finished with Izzy in short order, and after giving Scott back his handkerchief, Angel led him out of the stables toward the back of the mansion from which she'd fled. There were at least 6 people in sight, and while some of them were in animated conversation -- about her, Angel knew -- the others were looking around for their missing heir, obviously wanting to speak with her.

"I can't go up there right now," Angel said, turning away toward the 6 car garage that sat apart from the house. "Would you like to take a drive with me?"

Whether Scott was available to leave or not Angel didn't know, but either way she was getting the hell out of here for a few hours. She tapped the code into the secured garage, pushed a button to retract her Mercedes' cloth roof, fired her up, and headed for an ocean viewing outlook a half dozen miles away called Point Solitude. Few people ever came there this time of the year and day because of the cold, hard wind that struck up in the late afternoons.

As they headed out of the stables, Angel asked timidly, "So ... you know what just happened in there, I guess? The Will?"

Scott merely answered in the affirmative, as it was the truth.

"I can't go up there right now," Angel said, turning away toward the 6 car garage that sat apart from the house. "Would you like to take a drive with me?"

"Absolutely! I think I'm the only one besides Uncle Joe--oh, and you probably--that wished they'd all be swallowed up by a big hole or something!" Noticing her rather silent demeanor, he merely climbed into the passenger seat and let her direct both where they physically went and the conversation, if any, that ensued.

When Angel had opened the garage, she may have noticed a 1964 Aston Martin DB5. This was Scott's car, a fully-licensed copy of the one seen in Goldfinger, but without the gadgets, naturally. It was one of several items that was up for a charity auction he had attended last year. Being a die-hard James Bond fan, he knew he had to have it. And now he does.

Uncle Joe...

Angel had never heard someone refer to Joseph Tipton by those words; his nieces and nephews never had, despite him being their Uncle Joe. Joseph had always been very strict about how others -- family, friends, and business associates -- referred to him: his children had called him father, the rest of the family had called him Joseph, his friends had called him that as well, and all others had used Mister Tipton unless otherwise given permission to be more familiar.

Angel looked out over the ocean from Point Solitude and contemplated the emptiness in her life resulting from Grampa Joe's death. The two of them had had long conversations on a daily basis for 6 years; over the last 11 days, Angel had spoken less than a hundred words to any and all with whom she'd interacted, and most of those words were variations of her thanking others for their expressions of sorrow for her loss.

"I'm going to need a lawyer, aren't I?" she asked out of nowhere, her words almost lost in the wind. She turned to Scott with a serious look he would come to see often in the days and weeks to come. "My Grampa Joe trusted your firm. He trusted and liked Martin Brill more than anyone on this planet ... 'cept me, of course."

She smiled a bit but the expression faded again. "I trust Martin now more than anyone still alive on this planet, and I would like to think I can trust you, too. If i ask Martin for his advice and he says you are the man for the job, will you be my lawyer, Scott. You have a nice face ... and, of course, you like horses. So, you can't be all bad."

Scott chuckled at Angel's perhaps unintentional compliment. "Of course I will be your lawyer, Angel," he said, trying not to notice how the strong wind constantly flashed him her white cotton panties and he definitely tried to ignore how, from the front, there was a faint dark hue right in the front of them, as if she hadn't shaved herself in a while. Clearing his throat, he said, "I also think your face is a sight to warm the soul, if I may be so bold. And I like many other things that make me 'not all bad' besides horses." He was really talking about a wide range of interests, but a part of his mind found itself hoping she'd automatically run straight to the types of "interests" that would best be expressed behind the closed doors of a bedroom...among other places.

"Of course I will be your lawyer, Angel," Scott said.

That made Angel smile wide, the first time he'd seen that expression from her. She responded simply, "Thank you, Scott."

"I also think your face is a sight to warm the soul, if I may be so bold," he told her.

Angel's smiled mutated to a shy grin, and she looked away as her face exploded in a fiery blush. She was used to men flirting with her, of course; hardly a day passed at University where at least one male student or staff member said or did something aimed at getting a step closer to getting to know her in the Biblical sense.

Angel could never know, however, whether their ultimate goal was to win her heart, penetrate her pussy, or -- through one or the other of those two -- begin the long road toward getting closer to her grandfather's fortune. Joseph had always been up front and blunt with his granddaughter about men and what they wanted from women, regardless of whether they were rich or poor.

"Men suck!" had been his refrain often, sometimes even adding, "I did, too, when I was young. Your grandmother fixed me of that, though."

A strong wind whipped by, causing Angel's skirt to lift all the way to her waist before she restrained it with quickly moving hands. She'd glanced Scott's way instinctually, concerned that maybe he'd seen more of her than she would want, and while he did seem to have been looking at her, she couldn't know whether or not he'd gotten a quick glance at her more personal areas.

When he commented about liking other things other than horses, Angel had to look away again as she felt a flush of heat in her face. Is he talking about sex? she wondered, thinking as well, Is he talking about sex with ME!

It wouldn't have surprised Angel if Scott was. Since she'd begun developing her curves and finally escaping her pimple era, boys and men alike had been trying their hardest to get her out of her panties, and that had been regardless of whether they knew her Legal Guardian was a multibillionaire or not.

None to date had accomplished it, though. Angel was probably the only relatively pretty 19 year old girl at the University who was still in possession of her virginity. Hell, most of the not so relatively pretty ones had been with a man or two by her age!

Angel had held onto her purity tightly; she didn't go to parties, she didn't go out on one-to-one dates, and she didn't drink, except for when Grampa Joe let her taste test his liqueurs while he sat across from her laughing at her expressions of reaction. When she went places where she might potentially put herself in a vulnerable position, Richard -- her on call bodyguard -- went with her to ensure that men who got grabby lost the use of one or more of their fingers for the next few months.

(That had only happened once, thank goodness, at an open air concert. Some guy dancing next to Angel had stuck his hand up Angel's skirt, aiming his fingers for the "V" of cotton at the meeting of her thighs. Somehow he had not known that the 6'6", 212# man standing nearby was with Angel and he'd paid for his mistake with a snapped pinky finger and a black eye from a pointy elbow making contact with it.)

"We should get back, I guess," Angel said as she continued to hold her skirt down. "They'll be wondering where I am."

Back in the car, she found she'd missed a text from none other than her bodyguard. She explained to Scott who Richard was, leaving out the story about the concert, of course, and replied to him that she'd taken a drive and was okay.

Something struck her suddenly, and she asked, "Scott, will I have to have people protecting me now every where I go? I mean, Grampa Joe never went out into public without six guys with him. Men in Black I used to call them, 'cause they all wore dark suits and glasses and looked like they were Secret Service."

She fired up the convertible, turned down the music that had been blaring all the way to the outlook, and continued, "He tried to keep me away from that part of his life. The big money part. He wanted me to grow up feeling like a regular girl as much as possible. I mean, I went to a private school, of course, but that was more about getting a fine education than about being all hoity-toity and all.

"I still had friends who were normal types ... you know, not from money. And when I registered for University, my father's name didn't raise any green flags."

Angel didn't explain green flags to Scott as he probably knew what it meant. Often, when people learned of Angel's connection to Joseph Tipton, suddenly their relationships to her were all about the fact that her caretaker billionaire.

"I even shopped for clothes and shoes and stuff at the mall," she went on, finally putting the car in gear and turning out of the parking lot for home. "Of course, Richard was almost always nearby, just in case, but we never had any problems 'cause no one really knew who I was."

Angel was wrong about this, but she wasn't aware of her incorrect assessment of her upbringing's security. There had been the concert incident, of course, but other than feeling a hand go up her dress, she hadn't seen any of the rest of the incident as Richard had stepped in between and sheltered her from it all.

Another time, a staff photographer with a National gossip magazine had snapped pictures of Angel naked at a French beach during her first European vacation. An informant inside the company had alerted Joseph about the imminent publication of the images with the headline "Billionaire Tipton Takes 16yo Grand Daughter To French Nude Beach. Oh lĂ  lĂ ".

In reality, Angel hadn't been topless; she'd been changing her suit in a room where someone had planted a hidden camera, and the shots of her in various states of undress were to be flanked in the article by pictures of her on the beach in her bikini, implying that she'd been out on the sand naked as well.

But Joseph had taken care of that easy enough. He'd slammed the publication with an injunction -- which he knew had only been a temporary fix -- then purchased the rag's parent company and shut the publication down. Joseph fired the 24 people who'd had a say in okaying of the article, gave the rest of the company's 360 employees two weeks paid vacation, then turned the company over to a friend in the publication business who restructured the entire organization to produce a half dozen monthly magazines -- and their online companions -- that concerned themselves with social, racial, and environmental issues rather than nudie pics of celebrities and fad diets.

"This is Angel," she said after her cell phone rang and she tapped a button on the steering wheel to connect the Bluetooth. It was Martin, wondering where she was and if she was still with his associate. She looked to Scott with a smile, saying, "Yeah, sorry about that Martin. I sort of abducted him for a drive to the coast."

"Well, I need him back here, please," Scott's superior in the firm said. "Some of the family members are expressing a desire to sue over the Will, saying that your grandfather wasn't of sound mind when he left everything to you."

Angel's joy disappeared, and over just a few seconds, she realized that the emotions flooding her were not good for her driving abilities. She moved the car over to the road as she told Martin they were coming back, and after she'd disconnected the car, she begged Scott, "Will you drive please?"

Even before she got around the back end of the care, though, Angel was leaning back against the trunk, sobbing into her hands.

Angel could never know, however, whether their ultimate goal was to win her heart, penetrate her pussy, or -- through one or the other of those two -- begin the long road toward getting closer to her grandfather's fortune.

Scott, of course, was interested solely in the lovely young woman before him, and was not after her wealth or status unless she wished to share it with him. Besides, he had a rather large portfolio himself, and he disclosed this fact to her at a point where she paused during her conversation, adding, "I don't need nor want your money. I will represent you in court pro bono."

"Scott, will I have to have people protecting me now every where I go? I mean, Grampa Joe never went out into public without six guys with him. Men in Black I used to call them, 'cause they all wore dark suits and glasses and looked like they were Secret Service."

At this, Scott chuckled. "Well, I cannot speak for the Men in Black, but I am a certified security officer and I have a Federal concealed carry permit, plus I am a black belt in Krav Maga, so perhaps Richard won't have to be around you all the time."

Angel's joy disappeared, and over just a few seconds, she realized that the emotions flooding her were not good for her driving abilities. She moved the car over to the road as she told Martin they were coming back, and after she'd disconnected the car, she begged Scott, "Will you drive please?"

Even before she got around the back end of the care, though, Angel was leaning back against the trunk, sobbing into her hands.

"Course," Scott said, in response to her request for him to take over driving. When she leaned against the trunk, crying, he silently wrapped his arms around her, resting his chin on her forehead. "We'll send those sharks scurrying back to the depths, just you wait. That's a promise."

"I don't need nor want your money," Scott told her. "I will represent you in court pro bono."

Angel couldn't help but wonder about Scott, his career, and his success in this world. She knew nothing about him other than he liked horses, worked for Grampa Joe's law firm -- carried the surname of one of its founders, in fact -- and was a nice guy.

Actually, she knew something else about Scott: he was kinda good looking. Oh, he wasn't an underwear model type or a motion picture leading man, but he had a handsome, gentle face that she found very trusting and he carried his fit body like a man who knew how to use it for more than beating people up with his Israeli-based martial arts. She'd checked out his ass once or twice back in the stables as he put the mare away, quickly looking away before he turned back for fear of getting caught. Angel didn't do that, often; check out men's behinds.

As she began sobbing at the back of the car, Scott took Angel into her arms and reassured her, "We'll send those sharks scurrying back to the depths, just you wait. That's a promise."

It was ironic that the reason Angel was crying wasn't because she feared losing her newfound fortune but was because she knew that all of her family hated her for getting what they thought should have been their money. I didn't want it! she shouted deep inside her soul. Why did Grampa Joe do this to me? Why did he put me in this position?

When he'd embraced her, Angel had crossed her arms over her chest and sunk into the man holding her. It was indeed reassuring to her to be held by someone who didn't hate her. Like the situation back at the estate, though, it was also a bit overwhelming as well. Scott might not believe it if she told him, but Angel hadn't been held like this by a man other than her father when she was a child and tween and her Grampa Joe in the teen years that followed.

Angel was the true definition of innocent and untouched. Oh, she'd been held a few times at the middle school dances by boys in her class, but -- like the Nuns said at the Parochial Schools that she'd luckily not attended -- dancers were to leave room for the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost between them.

Once in High School, at the Junior Prom, she'd allowed the Sophomore for whom she'd had her first crush hold her up against him during a slow song. But by the fourth or fifth time his his hand had slipped down to clutch one of her firm ass cheeks, Angel had had enough; she'd backed away, slapped the shit out of him, turned, and left. She'd never been asked to attend a dance after that, not that she would have gone to one anyway.

But she'd always remembered the feel of that boy against her and always yearned for that feeling again. But Angel's memory of feeling abused that night, along with Grampa Joe's warning -- "Men suck!" -- had kept her mind so fixed on her school work, her home life, and her many social activities that she hardly missed boys.

It felt so good and so bad at the same time to have Scott's arms around her that Angel very nearly unlocked her arms and wrapped them around him. But at the last moment she whispered softly, "We should go."

She politely extricated herself from his grasp and moved to the passenger side, leaving him to drive as she'd intended before breaking down. Having a feeling of what they might find at the estate, Angel texted Richard that they were on their way back. When they arrived back at the mansion, most of the cars that had been filling the circle drive had left but there were still a handful of people standing on the steps of the home visibly arguing.

Richard stopped the Mercedes just inside the gate and told Scott, "Take her straight to the garage and use the back entrance. I'm still working to get the circus to move on."

Once they were in the house, Angel reached out to snatch Scott's elbow. She smiled up to him, saying only, "Thank you."

Angel wanted to say more, but she was still overwhelmed. She turned and headed up the back stairs for her room after telling Scott, "I'll call you. Soon."

Once they were in the house, Angel reached out to snatch Scott's elbow. She smiled up to him, saying only, "Thank you."

Scott positively beamed back at her, and said, "You're welcome."

Angel wanted to say more, but she was still overwhelmed. She turned and headed up the back stairs for her room after telling Scott, "I'll call you. Soon."

"Looking forward to it," he said, not trying to hide his interest in her, at least in a platonic sense. He certainly wished to get to know her quite intimately, but it was clear that her past, and now current events, would make her all but clad herself in a chastity belt unless the potential suitor passed a polygraph test and signed a prenup in blood. Okay, maybe that was a bit extreme, but still.

Martin's reason for summoning him was short and to-the-point. Not because he was rude or disrespected the younger partner, but the opposite: he knew that Scott had the skills and knowledge to fill in the blanks in his mind. Essentially, if the family decided to sue, Scott would be second chair and Martin would be the "in-court" lawyer, by Angel's side as she faced down who were supposed to be her family. This last part had Scott wishing the roles were reversed, mainly for personal reasons, but he knew that Martin could better handle these sycophantic vultures. Besides which any juicy tidbits that Scott had gleaned while pretending to still be part of the family that could catch them off-guard in the courtroom or even downright squash their case before it began, he had already relayed to his mentor and friend. So all that remained was to wait, which wasn't really Scott's strong suit, but he had little choice in the matter.

Angel hadn't slept very well that first night after the Will reading, and even the second one had seen her waking repeatedly and anxiously. She'd quickly realized that inheriting the estate was almost as hard as losing Grampa Joe to begin with. After Angel had woken one night screaming, Richard -- who had had a room on the first floor since his hiring but had taken to sleeping in the room adjacent to Angel's after the incident with her family -- had begun sleeping in deep, semi-comfortable arm chair in the corner of her room.

The third day after she'd learned she was a billionaire, Angel met with Martin and got a run down of the threats being levied by the family members. Two of the suits -- one filed, one in the works -- were on behalf of the family as a whole. One accused Angel of having been overly influential on the Old Man; the other declared that the girl was simply too young to manage such a massive fortune that had taken decades to amass.

Then, there were the five suits -- two filed and three in the works -- by individuals or couples. Each of these individuals or couples had received loans from Joseph to either establish companies of their own or make investments in the companies of others. The suits claimed that Joseph would have wanted the plaintiffs to enjoy further investment via the Will; they wanted the courts to give them amounts equal to or even larger than what Joseph had given them in the past, despite the fact that most of these investments hadn't been very prosperous or had been outright failures.

Martin had promised Angel that the firm was dealing with the suits and that she had no reason whatsoever to worry about anything. "Scott Stewart, you met him ... he will acting as a []liaison[/i] between you and the firm. Does that work for you, Angel?"

<<<<<<< >>>>>>>​

It had been, of course, and that was the reason for what was happening today.

It was a beautiful morning, and despite it being a Saturday, Martin had told Angel that Scott would be more than happy to meet her and catch her up. Unable to sleep in her own bed on the estate, Angel had spent the last three nights on Grampa Joe's yacht, which ironically had been named Angelic Dreams when he purchased it three years ago.

Richard met Scott at the dock with a smile, and the two of them took the 12 foot powered inflatable out to the yacht's anchorage. As they tied up to the bigger boat, Richard gesture Scott to the ladder, saying, "Lunch should be ready, Mister Stewart."

A steward greeted Scott on the main deck and asked him to follow, then led him up two staircases -- called ladders on boats, Angel had learned -- to the topmost deck, where Angel was awaiting him; she was sitting in the shade to protect her fair skin, and when she saw her guest arrive, she stood and smiled. She was wearing a one piece bikini with a sarong tied around her waist; even though it was modest and conservative relative to what most of the women sunning or swimming nearby on the shore were wearing, when Angel saw Scott giving her a once over look, she couldn't help but blush a fiery red.

"Welcome, Scott," she said, gesturing him toward one of the chairs at the table that was already covered by their extravagant meal. "Lunch?"

Scott was a little uncomfortable being waited on, as he had often eschewed the trappings of his wealth--specifically, paying others to do what you were too lazy to do yourself--but he accepted the help graciously. He was dressed in a pair of solid black swim trunks and a light athletic jacket that was meant to be discarded easily when and if he was struck with the urge to jump in the water--or show off his toned, muscular body, which ended up being the reason why he shed it before sitting down. A pair of Nike flip-flops and an Addidas fanny pack completed his "gear" for the day; the fanny pack, in addition to his wallet and cell phone, also held his Walther PPK pistol and a can of pepper spray.

"Looks delicious!", he exclaimed when Angel said, "Lunch?", yet his gaze was fixed firmly on her.

Last edited:
"Looks delicious!"

Angel couldn't help but giggle and, yes, blush even a deeper red when Scott's words were spoken while he was looking at her rather than the meal on the nearby table. He was flirting with her, wasn't he? She had to divert her eyes, pretending to scope out the meal that the yacht's on-call chef had prepared.

Looking to the vast array of foods took her mind off Scott for a moment, and ironically she was having the same thoughts he was having regarding being waited upon by others. Angel had spent the last third of her life living in a billionaire's mansion, which anyone would logically think meant that she'd been waited on hand and foot by an entire staff of servants.

They would have been right and wrong at the same time. There had been and still were a lot of people employed at the Tipton Mansion. There was the big house's live-in staff: Betty the cook, who helped with the housekeeping; Delores the housekeeper, who helped with the cooking; and Kendall the butler, who helped with both the housekeeping and the cooking. Cooper the stablemaster lived in a cottage out near the stables; he also assisted with the grounds keeping. Paulo the groundskeeper lived in yet another cottage on the opposite side of the compound and, yes, he assisted with the horses and the work surrounding them and the structures in which they lived.

Finally, back here in the big house and taking up the entire first floor of one wing were the quarters for the Security Team. But other than Richard and Winston -- Joseph Tipton's personal bodyguard -- the remainder of the 12 member Team were non-residential employees; they each share a room with one other Team member, but they worked in rotating 24 hour shifts of 12 on, 12 off that saw each of them staying the night only 10 nights a month.

So, Angel had available to her a cook, a housekeeper, a butler, a stablemaster, a groundkeeper, and 14 protectors. And yet she did most of her own laundry, with the exception of the dry cleaning that was actually sent out; she cleaned her own room with the exception of the periodic carpet cleaning to battler her allergy to house mites; she often cooked her own meals and always put together her take-away meals for school days, picnics, and the like; and she'd been responsible for nearly all of Lightning's care from the first day he'd come to the estate, which had been a stipulation of Joseph buying her the Quarter Horse in the first place.

About the only chore performed around the estate that normal, everyday kids out in the world did that Angel didn't was mow the lawn, and that was only because Paulo had refused to let her use the riding mower after she'd accidentally run it through the rose beds when she was 14.

"I hope you like what Gretchen prepared," Angel said as the two of them took their seats. "I don't know if you are familiar with Gretchen Lee. She has a cooking show on local cable. She used to be Oprah's cook, I hear."

A short, squat woman appeared as if she'd been listening in and began describing the individual items laid out before the two diners. Angel's face was filled with a face-splitting grin, and when the celebrity chef finally finished and left to deal with the dessert, Angel said with a bit of an embarrassed tone, "She makes you feel like a queen when she does that, you know, like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman."

"She makes you feel like a queen when she does that, you know, like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman."

Even though Scott had only seen the movie once, but the Van Halen song was a frequent guest of his playlists, he knew what she meant, as the movie, like all the others he had sat down and taken time to watch, stuck in his mind. "That she does." He ate in silence, except if Angel had decided to say something, and when dessert was finally done, unless she called him here for business purposes, he bought up what was at the forefront of his mind: the fact that he was technically not a part of the family anymore, yet Joseph had treasured his company and his keen mind all the same.

He told the whole story, from start to finish, leaving nothing out, including how his step-father wasn't exactly innocent, but nor was he a slime-ball, at least not in this case. His part in the family class-action suit seemed to be only because, if he wasn't on board, he'd be just as much an outcast as Angel no doubt was. At any rate, the marriage didn't seem to satisfy his step-father as much as he'd like, and even though his mom had encouraged him to seek outlets for this, they both couldn't handle sharing and had filed for divorce.

When he finished, he cracked a pained smile and said, "So, any questions?"

They chatted off and on during the meal but not much and never about what had brought the two of them together in the first place. Even though Martin had told Scott that he was here to update Angel on the lawsuits being filed against her, Angel had no interest in talking about them; they only made her stomach roll over anxiously, and in truth, she'd only wanted to spend the afternoon with Scott the nice guy, not Scott the lawyer.

Mostly, they talked about things that made her think happy thoughts. She was a 19 year old girl with $2.21 billion dollars who for years had been told she was sweet, fun, smart, cute, and sometimes even sexy: why shouldn't she be happy and have happy thoughts, right?

They talked about horses and learning to ride; about fun, exciting places each of them had visited on vacations; about good movies, which Angel found was far more her passion than Scott's; about social service and justice for the downtrodden, which was a passion of Scott's, something that made Angel very happy.

"I'm sure you already know this because I'm sure Martin told you," she said as she was eating her fruit dessert in a rather unusual way, "but I helped Grampa Joe with the list of organizations that will be getting their share of the billion-plus he left to charity. Do they even call it that anymore, charity?"

They chatted for a while about Scott's own contributions to those less off, which led to Angel asking many questions about his career, which led to her asking about his familial connection to Joseph Tipton. Angel was both intrigued by and a bit disappointed in the fact that Grampa Joe had essentially hid Scott from her all these years.

At the same time, it made her feel even better about Scott. If Joseph Tipton had seen Scott and Scott's mother as his friends, then Angel was going to make them friends of hers as well. By the time he had explained about himself, his mother, and their connection to Joseph and then asked if she had any questions, Angel was smiling with delight.

"Yes!" she said excitedly, pulling her cloth napkin from her lap and tossing it playfully over the table at him. The question she had for him wasn't about family and relationships, though. Instead, as she hopped up from her seat and curled around the table to snatch his hand and urge him upwards, she asked, "Do you like ping pong?"

She drug him through the huge yacht -- down a deck, then through a maze of corridors -- until they entered a large compartment that she said was called the Play Room. There was just about everything anyone would ever want to play: a Snooker table, dart boards, a ping pong table (obviously), a foosball table, a bumper pool table, and more. Along most of the four walls were various seating areas, some more adult in nature and other obviously for children.

"This used to be a ball room, for dances and such," Angel explained. "Grampa Joe bought it a couple of years before I came to live with him from some entertainment company that rented it out for company parties, but when I came along, we turned this room into a game room because, well, there wasn't anything fun for a teenage girl to do on board but lay in the sun and listen to her iPod, and that got boring very quickly.

Angel moved over to a Texas Hold'em table that would seat 9 players and a dealer, continuing, "We used to take it down the coast or up the coast sometimes with a bunch of his friends or people from work, and they would bring their kids sometimes. He thought we should put the adult stuff in a separate compartment from the kids stuff, but I thought they should be together, so families could be with each other, not apart.

She tapped a controller that was sitting on the poker table and draperies on one of the walls pulled over to reveal a massive television. Another tap of the button brought up a video of the Irish countryside; speakers hidden all about them in the walls began playing Enya, to which a smiling Angel asked, "Don'cha just love her music? And before you say you don't, be aware that Richard will throw you off the boat if you say you don't like her!"

Angel laughed and practically bounced across the room to the ping pong table. She bounced one of the ball across the table and picked up her paddle, saying, "You serve. Best out of 3 games. Winner gets to choose where we take the boat."

Suddenly, Angel's face filled with a concerned expression. She asked with an obvious fear that her guest's answer would be no, "You can stay with me, can't you, Scott. Captain John said we could take the boat up to Raleigh Bay or down to the Evans Islands for the night, then we could do some snorkeling in the morning and lunch and come back."

Then, chipper again, she said with excitement, "It'll be fun! Tell me you can stay!"

Angel knew, of course, that she was asking a man she barely knew to spend the night with her. But, in her mind, it wasn't really like that. They were just going to spend the day together having fun, sleep in separate staterooms on a very big boat -- it was essentially a floating, luxury hotel -- and were going to have fun swimming the next day before they departed and went their separate ways.

Simple and innocent. Wasn't it?

It wasn't like Angel was unchaperoned and was going to find herself being inappropriately seduced: Richard was onboard, as was the crew of 6 and staff of 3.

Last edited:
"Don'cha just love her music? And before you say you don't, be aware that Richard will throw you off the boat if you say you don't like her!"

Scott just let her drag him through the yacht and smiled warmly at her exuberance. It was like being away from her so-called relatives was a tonic for her soul. He resolved in that moment to protect her from them by any means necessary. To her comment about the music, he smirked. "I'll listen to anything except that angry rap that doesn't really talk about anything except screwing this girl or killing that guy. My favorite genre is classic rock, my favorite music act The Eagles."

"You serve. Best out of 3 games. Winner gets to choose where we take the boat."

"Of course. And whoever wins, I can take over for a while if the Captain doesn't mind." He unzipped his fanny pack, which only served to draw the eye to his sculpted abs, having gone shirtless before lunch. Pulling out a security badge and his Walther, he set them down gently on a side table before showing her his license to operate water vessels of the yacht's size. He also had a pilot's license, and took great pride in taking himself where he needed (or wanted) to go, rather than hiring others.

"You can stay with me, can't you, Scott. Captain John said we could take the boat up to Raleigh Bay or down to the Evans Islands for the night, then we could do some snorkeling in the morning and lunch and come back."

"Course I can stay! Why on Earth would I deny myself your company for anything? If the sky was literally falling, my only thought would be if you were happy at the end of the world." And he meant it too, God damn it he was really falling for this girl, he suddenly realized. But she had had enough men treat her wrong that he held back on saying or doing anything else, letting her realize on her own that he is, in fact, genuinely interested in her as a person.

It wasn't like Angel [was] unchaperoned and was going to find herself being inappropriately seduced: Richard was onboard, as was the crew of 6 and staff of 3.

Scott could only hope that he could convince everyone that the Engineer and perhaps a backup helmsman would be needed, given his certified status as a security guard, experience with vessels of this size and his penchant for cooking and willingness to get his own hands dirty, rather than that of others. Only time and patience would tell.

Last edited:
"The Eagles!" Angel said with excitement at the mention of the rock group. She broke into song with perfect pitch, "On a dark ... desert highway ... cool wind in my hair..."

Giggling, she proclaimed her love for that song, then asked, "What about their stuff after they broke up...? Glenn Frey, Smuggler's Blues, or New York Minute, Don Henley? Love that one."

She held her ping paddle up before her mouth as if a microphone, singing, "Harry got up, dressed all in black ... went down to the station, and he never came back..."

She had to stop there, though, as her face donned a more serious expression and her eyes began to glaze over. She fought off the tears and ended her concert solemnly saying, "Sad song ... but, I love it."

They made their bet on the game and talked about Scott piloting the yacht. As he shed his personal things, showing off the Security ID, gun, various licenses and permits, Angel found herself very impressed; the man was obviously much more than just a lawyer.

When he declared he wouldn't want to be anywhere other than with her if the world was to end, Angel giggled and blushed again. She accused with humor in her tone, "You, sir, are a horrible flirt! Don't make me go get Richard."

Scott had served but dribbled the ball over the net to Angel, and now as she smiled to him, she said playfully, "Prepare to meet your maker."

She set herself, released the ping pong ball, and swiped the paddle quickly through the air. The ball skimmed over the net with a spin on it that left sent it a good foot out of Scott's reach; as it flew past and bounced over to and back from the wall, the look on his face caused Angel to giggle and declare, "One-zero."

Once he'd retrieved the ball and bounced it back across the table to her, Angel -- trying desperately to maintain a respectable, sportsmanlike expression -- asked politely, "Ready?"

Once he'd responded, she fired another serve with the same, almost magical spin on it. Scott nearly got his paddle on it this time but not quite. Again, Angel giggled. "Two-zero."

With the ball in her hand once more, she fired it over the net. She'd expected him to anticipate the radical curve, so this time she sent it without the spin and directly at Scott. It bounced off his belly and dribbled back toward the net. She stared at him for a long moment as the ball just rolled to a stop, then casually announced, "Three-zero."

He eventually began getting his paddle on the ball as Angel served, but the two or three times he managed to get the little orb back to her side, she sent it back with either lightning speed that shot it past him untouched or gave it a serious undercut that dropped it softly on his side of the table, then sent it right back at the net, out of his reach.

When it was his turn to serve for the second time, Angel asked it it was getting hot. She set her paddle down and turned to one of the chairs, where -- with her back to Scott -- she untied the sarong from her waist. The lower reaches of Angel's swimming suit had risen a bit on her firm, youthful pear shaped ass, and she now pulled them down to curl around her cheeks.

This hadn't been incidental, of course; Angel had been trying to get up the nerve to let Scott take a better look at her body, and she'd been contemplating this since the score had been 8-0. Despite having been planning it several minutes, she still blushed; not wanting him to see her red faced, she took a moment to sip from the iced drink she'd made at the wet bar in the corner earlier.

Finally, she turned back to ask, "Okay, whose serve?"

<<<<< >>>>>​

"That's game," Angel said after probably far less time than Scott had anticipated. She giggled again, apologizing, "I'm sorry. That was unfair of me. I should have warned you that I'm kinda good at this."

She laughed again, then hurried off to get them both more cold drinks. When she returned, Angel said, "I think we should switch to something else to be fair. Do you play darts? I like darts."

As she looked over the top of her glass at Scott, Angel realized that she was really beginning to like this guy.

"We should, actually. But first..." He took his phone, walked over to a media dock by the TV, and plugged it in. He proceeded to explain how his father had helped Glenn Frey win the custody battle over the kids he had had with the gold-digging wife he frequently dedicated subsequent live renditions of "Lyin' Eyes" to. Even though his involvement was kept out of the news and even the courtroom, the rock giant was nevertheless grateful, and asked Scott's father if he could have anything he wanted, what would it be? His answer was custom versions of all previous and future Eagles albums that were the same as the public releases, but had the vocals removed, to be used for karaoke.

He selected Hell Freezes Over and then New York Minute, and proceeded to begin singing, in a surprisingly good voice.

Harry got up
Dressed all in black
Went down to the station
And he never came back
They found his clothing
Scattered somewhere down the track
And he won't be down on Wall Street in the morning

He had a home
Love of a girl
But men get lost sometimes
As years unfold
One day he crossed some line and he was too much in this world
But I guess it doesn't matter anymore

(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Things can get pretty strange
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh...)

Lying here in the darkness
You hear the sirens wail
Somebody going to emergency
Somebody's going to jail
You find somebody to love in this world
You better hang on tooth and nail
The wolf is always at the door

(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Things can get a little strange
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh...)

In these days when darkness falls early
And people rush home to the ones they love
You better take a fool's advice
Take care of your own
'Cause one day they're here, next day they're gone

Pulled my coat around my shoulders
I took a walk down through the park
Leaves were falling around me
The groaning city in the gathering dark
On some solitary rock, a desperate lover left his mark
He said 'Baby I've changed, please come back'
What the head makes cloudy
The heart makes very clear
I know the days were so much brighter
In the time when she was here
But I know there's somebody somewhere
Make these dark clouds disappear
Until that day I have to believe I believe I believe

(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Things are getting pretty strange
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh...)
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
Things are getting pretty strange
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh)
A-a-a-h... everything can change
(In a New York minute)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh...)
(In a New York minute, minute...)

"We should, actually. But first..."

Angel was thrilled to here the music for her favorite song come on, but then after the intro, realized it was Karaoke. She clapped and giggled as Scott began singing the words, showing that he knew them all by heart and didn't need a lyrics list.

She proceeded to play her part as well, first as a fan in the crowd -- she snatched up a lighter they kept handy for birthday cakes and swayed it back and forth over her head -- and then as a backup singer, jumping in at, "In a New York minute, ooh-ooh-ooh, everything can change..."

After the third verse, though, Angel boosted herself up onto the Snooker table and just watched and listened. Her smile verified her delight with Scott, and when he finally tapped the music off, she clapped animatedly.

"Encore, encore!" she called out, laughing and telling Scott he should be singing in clubs and concert halls. She suggested, "You could use the name The Singing Lawyer"

After some more joking around, the pair of them ended up at the dart board as she'd suggested. "I'm first! I want you to see that I'm pretty good at this, that I'm not trying to take advantage of you again. You know how to play Cricket?"

If she had to explain the rules, she would. Angel took her place, aimed her dart, and let it fly. It struck the board solidly ... an inch outside of the board in the wall. Standing tall and grimacing at her shot, Angel murmured, "Well ... okay ... so ... maybe we should go back to ping pong."

"Oh, no. In for a penny, in for a pound." Scott clicked on the normal version of Hotel California, which headed up a playlist of the greatest hits of The Eagles, and proceeded to go to work trouncing Angel, chiming in with the currently-playing song in between throws, just to fuck even further with her concentration. Not that keeping quiet would have helped, as she even threw a dart so wide, that as he stood off to the side, it grazed his arm before it embedded itself in the wall! "Wow, nice one," he said sarcastically, standing there cool as a cucumber with a cut in his arm that looked like it had been put there by the metal edge piece of a wooden ruler. He went over and grabbed a napkin, dabbing at the cut, but he still whooped her ass.

"Looks like we need a tie-breaker. Any ideas?" He looked over at the poker table, wondering if that could be something they'd both be equally good at.

Back