The Raven (closed)

As they all finished their breakfast, Boar finally set the boys loose and sent them outside with the pup to see if they couldn't teach him how to fetch and maybe come up with a name for him. Boar remained inside long enough to help Emma with the dishes before going out to look after the boys.

Emma grinned at Boar as he helped her with the dishes, his eyes straying towards the door where they could see the boys playing with the dog. She finally shooed him away, kissing him gently as he went to join them. She watched for a while from the door, grinning at her sons as they played like two normal children. They had forgotten about the horrors of what had happened to them and Boar was as open and free as she had ever seen him. The whole thing made her so incredibly happy.

Boar and the boys eventually worked out a name that was easy to say, and the pup caught on fairly quickly too as he began recognizing the name 'Todd.' Boar made sure the boys weren't too rough and the pup knew not to nip, and he seemed right at home in the whole situation.

Emma soon settled on the porch, rocking in her favorite chair that Boar had made for her, and simply watching her boys with a mug of tea. She had to admit that this was a nice life. Her husband protected her and her boys gave her so much joy. All three had saved her in ways that they would never know or truly understand.

Little Todd would occasionally come running up to Emma just for curiosity's sake, but he always ran back when one of the boys called. He'd learn his name before long, but Boar wasn't terribly worried about that for the moment.

There was little to worry about beyond family and work for anyone in the Ghis family for several months. Summer was bountiful and the Solstice brought the usual pagan festival into the capital as the Clan King himself was Lunasian, but those of other religions were welcomed whole-heartedly as well, and more felt welcome knowing they had a Christian Queen and she took as much part as her husband. Come mid-autumn near the Harvest Festival, little Annie Ghis returned to Inverness from Ireland after having been sent away when her mother Cassandra Monaghan had been killed.

It seemed the Ghis family was complete again on all counts and everyone was together save Ashien and Selena who lived near London and Edinburgh respectively, but would visit when they could. There were some rumblings about possible issues with Wick Clan, but Brogan assured everyone he was watching the situation closely and he seemed to consult with Durban and Julia and Kitty fairly often. Boar was in on the loop as well but he didn't see much reason to be worried yet. Wick had always been unstable and he was fairly certain there were just some issues with the new King's ascent and peace treaty with Inverness that should just blow over.

Emma worked so hard on her little family in the time of peace. Their new home was finished in the woods and they moved in, making it their own and living a nice little life. It wasn't long after Annie came back home that Emma actually learned that she was really carrying another child. She had been upfront and honest with Boar about their new child and they were working on their uncertain future.

She decided she would face this new child with happiness. There had been so much turmoil with the twins. It made her happy and she made sure that Boar was as calm as he possibly could be. She paid him more attention, making sure that he was happy.

"I think it's time for their first hunt." Emma said as they cleaned up after dinner that evening, glancing at her husband as he watched the boys playing in their front lawn.

Boar glanced to Emma, raising an eyebrow. "They're still pretty little, love..." He wasn't against it, but these were still little toddlers, barely able to walk.

"Lynndon, I know that you've been raring to go since they came into this world. I trust you to take care of them." Emma reasoned, looking up at her husband. "Besides, once this new baby comes, our attentions will have to shift. We won't have as much free time as we normally would."

"I suppose I could set up a deer stand fer three..." He murmured, thinking aloud. Looking to Emma, he smiled. "Kickin' us out so you can do somethin'?"

"I'm kicked you out so I can have some peace." Emma said in all seriousness as she kissed his cheek. "You and the boys make a bigger mess than any small child should be able to. I also want to get started on a nursery for this little one."

"A'right... But if you need anythin', we won' be far. An' Durban's no' far either..." Boar always worried about leaving her on her own, perhaps paranoid that she might disappear again.

“Love, you haven’t left me alone since that day.” Emma said softly, reaching out to touch his cheek. “I’ll be fine.”

"I'm jus' no' sure if things're ready t'go right yet," Boar murmured, leaning in to kiss her. He held her gaze a moment longer before going to gather up hunting gear.

“I’ll be here with dinner when you get back.” Emma promised, hugging her husband tightly when he expressed his doubts.

"I love ya," he murmured, kissing her one last time before going to gather up the boys and their things, beckoning Todd along with them.

Emma watched them go with a small smile, the boys so excited for an adventure and Boar nearly matching them with enthusiasm. He was a child at heart and he certainly did his best to show his boys that side of himself.

Back