The Official (Most likely) 2024 Literotica April Fool's Day Contest Support Thread!!!

If it had a ton of new votes, then I agree, but I know three votes were added to the 184 total from the last time I checked, and the score went down 0.06. Definitely 3 x 1.

I'm more annoyed at the pettiness, than not being in the top list.

If it had a ton of new votes, then I agree, but I know three votes were added to the 184 total from the last time I checked, and the score went down 0.06. Definitely 3 x 1.

I'm more annoyed at the pettiness, than not being in the top list.
The other night I had 1 vote added to 9 stories and each one plunged .04 each, and each one was over 25K words so I doubt my "Fan" read more than my name, (I don't doubt that it needed help with that part too) the stories were all in a series and he followed that series down and hit story after story. His or her childishness dropped my overall average score 0.01 - and that's over 80 stories.

Not me. I left 5 ⭐️ and a positive comment. I thought it was an excellent story.
Thanks! The rating is slowly clawing its way up to the level of the other stories in the series.

Someone left a comment about abusive behaviour. Fair enough. I think quite a few of us have been subjected to the "just testing you" experience, and it's rarely pleasant. My only defence is that everyone experienced some character development and it led to a happy ending. Well, also that otherwise there wouldn't have been a story.

Thanks! The rating is slowly clawing its way up to the level of the other stories in the series.

Someone left a comment about abusive behaviour. Fair enough. I think quite a few of us have been subjected to the "just testing you" experience, and it's rarely pleasant. My only defence is that everyone experienced some character development and it led to a happy ending. Well, also that otherwise there wouldn't have been a story.

In I/T, the line between unrealistic and too realistic defies definition. At least, I haven't found one.

My stories tend to take a little while to come up so don't give up hope just yet.

The good news is that I'm up to more than 100 votes. So there might be just about enough left after the bombs are swept.

(Or possibly the story isn't quite as good as I thought, and it's getting the score it deserves.)

Or possibly the story isn't quite as good as I thought,
The buildup was good, and the sex was hot, but to be honest, the scene felt a little disjointed and rushed.

And there was a tension in it, where it seemed like he was favoring his sister over Aisha. I can see where that might be the seed of some conflict going forward but it was in a wierd middle ground of being there but not really being there, not feeling like intentional foreshadowing, so it felt more stressful than tense. Still good though, and maybe I'm reading it too early in the morning.

the line between unrealistic and too realistic defies definition. At least, I haven't found one.
It's difficult even generally. The conclusion that I have come to is that the line isn't some objective realism, but consistency with the "rules" the beginning of a story sets up. FTL, time travel, magic, wierd supernatural-ish events, those aren't realistic, but if a story is going to have those things, it needs to establish them right from the start, along with the limits on them, then stick to it throughout.

Probably not the kind of realism you meant given your reference to I/T. "Too realistic" is a risk there, since it could venture into squick or NC or six-fingered kids territory, but I think the general principle still applies. Make it realistic, but establish the "rules" that avoid those things up front. One thing that niggled at me in Stunned's story was the risk of pregnancy, it seemed to straddle that realistic/too realistic line. That they are not just siblings but twins makes it worse.

The buildup was good, and the sex was hot, but to be honest, the scene felt a little disjointed and rushed.

And there was a tension in it, where it seemed like he was favoring his sister over Aisha. I can see where that might be the seed of some conflict going forward but it was in a wierd middle ground of being there but not really being there, not feeling like intentional foreshadowing, so it felt more stressful than tense. Still good though, and maybe I'm reading it too early in the morning.
Right at the end, with "Aisha lying almost forgotten", is that what you mean? That came about because while I was writing that bit, I almost *had* forgotten about Aisha. I decided to leave it that way for the benefit of the I/T crowd. I'm surprised I haven't had a flood of comments yet about getting Sal pregnant.

Where I did struggle was justifying Big Brother's sense of being caught in the middle. Looking back maybe I should have given him clearer grounds for worrying about his situation. As it was, I glossed over that to get to Sal's teasing, which was the most fun to write, and quite honestly the real reason for writing the story.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Right at the end, with "Aisha lying almost forgotten", is that what you mean?
That was the one halfway acknowlegement of it, but the vibe was already there. I think what might have set it firmly as foreshadowing rather than an oversight or unresolved loose thread would be a line, or even a phrase, where the MC felt something about it, even if it was a vague and half formed something. A subtle promise that you (the author) know that it is something to be resolved at some point.
That came about because while I was writing that bit, I almost *had* forgotten about Aisha
That's what happens in pantsing. It can lead to entire sub plots, or even turn into the central conflict of the story, driving future chapters. I found myself kind of hoping he'd have to eventually have a come to Jesus moment where he was forced to make a decision, but the threesome aspect of this telegraphs that that might not happen. The series feels a little meandering at this point, I can't figure out what to worry about, what the stakes are and the risks to them.
I glossed over that to get to Sal's teasing, which was the most fun to write,
Ahh, I know the feeling. But sometimes you have to deal with delayed gratification :)

You should see what happens to your scores if your story sits on top of the SciFi/Fantasy leaderboard for about a week.

Curious, what does happen there, honestly? I just looked at the new stories on that page and it looks like SF/F may be among the most forgiving readers here, tons of stories rated above 4.7. I've only submitted one SF/F story ever and it's my lowest-scoring story (small sample size, admittedly), but still a solid 4.67. And the winning entry in the Valentine's Day contest was a SF/F one (granted by someone with more than 1,100 followers, so someone who will get a ton of views and votes that can potentially swamp any gamesmanship, but the SF/F category itself still seems to be fairly friendly).

I like it when the plot bunnies go wild and my stories wander off to unknown realms, it's kind of fun seeing what pops up
As the late Terry Pratchett said, you start writing with one idea of the plot and the characters have their own ideas and if you are good author you follow on for the ride! (approximate quote).

I have just submitted my own entry, To Fool a Nerd and a Geek, which I wrote in record time, having only become aware of the competition three days before, and then being hit with a story idea.

I have just submitted my own entry, To Fool a Nerd and a Geek, which I wrote in record time, having only become aware of the competition three days before, and then being hit with a story idea.
Welcome to the contest.

As the late Terry Pratchett said, you start writing with one idea of the plot and the characters have their own ideas and if you are good author you follow on for the ride! (approximate quote).
That's exactly what happened to me each time I put a story on his discworld

That's exactly what happened to me each time I put a story on his discworld
Duleigh: I have found your Enchantress series and will read it.
I (under another pen name) wrote a Hitchhiker's story on Fanfiction.org spanning between the time Fenchurch went missing till the end of 'And Another Thing' by Eoin Colfer, namely 'Another One - or - The Fenchurch Chronicles' if you are intersted. It was the first fiction I wrote and has encouraged me to contribute here.
Link to Fanfiction

Duleigh: I have found your Enchantress series and will read it.
I (under another pen name) wrote a Hitchhiker's story on Fanfiction.org spanning between the time Fenchurch went missing till the end of 'And Another Thing' by Eoin Colfer, namely 'Another One - or - The Fenchurch Chronicles' if you are intersted. It was the first fiction I wrote and has encouraged me to contribute here.
Link to Fanfiction
I'll take a look at your Fenchurch Chronicles.
If you read Enchantress, Story #5 is not numbered, it's simply called Happy Hogswatch! and was an entry for the Winter Holiday contest.

Back