The "Hot" rating

AmberSolis

Virgin
One of the neat things I love about Literotica is the instantaneous feedback it gives you on how your stories are doing. I mean, I would still have written these, even if there were no feedback. And I feel that, as an author, I should be above all the non-creative minutia and trivia of the world. And just focus on the writing.

But as a human being, I have to say: I love the "Hot" rating! I just get a kick out of seeing it show up next to one of my stories! It seems like it's never the same, twice, that little red "Hot" rating seems to rise and fall like the tide.

I guess you could sum this up as: I'm having a blast, writing for the fans of Literotica! Thank you, all!

I'm fortunate enough to have a handful of those scarlet letters by my name. They're a great ego boost for sure. The comments and favorites and follows all have their place in making me think I don't totally suck at doing this.

I just clicked submit on story #14 today, so in a couple of days I'll be getting my next fix

One of the neat things I love about Literotica is the instantaneous feedback it gives you on how your stories are doing. I mean, I would still have written these, even if there were no feedback. And I feel that, as an author, I should be above all the non-creative minutia and trivia of the world. And just focus on the writing.

But as a human being, I have to say: I love the "Hot" rating! I just get a kick out of seeing it show up next to one of my stories! It seems like it's never the same, twice, that little red "Hot" rating seems to rise and fall like the tide.

I guess you could sum this up as: I'm having a blast, writing for the fans of Literotica! Thank you, all!
I used to be very attached to them. And I’d be lying if I said I don’t like good ratings; who wouldn’t?

But I think I have a reasonable perspective on my work and some of my best stories are ones that score below 4.5. One of my best stories just about scores below 4.0, but that says more about the category I posted it to than my work.

This is not sour grapes, I have a lot of stories with Hs on them. I guess I’ve learned to be a bit less attached to this marker of “success.” I think I like comments most now. Especially those from other authors.

Em

I don't want the Hs removed. But no one should pin their hopes on them.
You can enjoy them, but can't get obsessed with them.

There are people here who want them gone, however.

Most are the everyone gets a prize for breathing crowd who hates that someone has something they don't. The crowd that wants top lists, fav lists, any popular story list, scores, blue W's Green E's and everything else removed until lit is a pile of tens of thousands of stories where no one can find anything and no one is getting read.

I'm happy to have finally gotten some. I guess my writing has reached a point where I deserve them. They are still the highlight of my life these past few years. It changes little how I feel about them, because they can be gone in an hour, so there's no reason to get arrogant about it. Case in point the story on this account; had one for almost a week.

They're nice. Given the lack of any objective rating of quality or popularity of the stories here, at the very least they're encouragement to keep writing.

I enjoy them, but I am not attached to them. They're nice as a measure of popularity and bit of ego-boosting feedback.

For a long time, I had a story over 4.5, with 9 votes shortly after posting. Took almost 3 months to get the 10th vote. Got the  H.
I'd be lying if I said it didn't make my day. I hope it survives

I am proud 7 of my 11 stories have it. It is a nice ego boost each time.

H's are pretty hard to come by in some categories and easy in others. I love to see the score my readers give my stories. It is validation of a job. It is easy in many categories to get above a 4 and a little harder in others. But to get higher than a 4.5 is pretty difficult in many.
I was at one time a critical care nurse. When I got my certification in critical care was a high point of my career. It did not add but a few cents per hour to my pay BUT it was validation of my knowledge.

H's are pretty hard to come by in some categories and easy in others. I love to see the score my readers give my stories. It is validation of a job. It is easy in many categories to get above a 4 and a little harder in others. But to get higher than a 4.5 is pretty difficult in many.
I was at one time a critical care nurse. When I got my certification in critical care was a high point of my career. It did not add but a few cents per hour to my pay BUT it was validation of my knowledge.
I would love your list of which categories it's easy in and which it's hard in.

Yes, though I write and post here principally to amuse and arouse myself, I certainly get excited by the much coveted Red H, and some occasional feedback. Can't deny that!!

What's a hot rating?
Is it based on the Kelvin scale, the Rankine cycle, or something more complex, like Réaumur?
Perhaps something simpler, like how many logs do you have to put on the fire to keep warm?

Cagivagurl

What's a hot rating?
Is it based on the Kelvin scale, the Rankine cycle, or something more complex, like Réaumur?
Perhaps something simpler, like how many logs do you have to put on the fire to keep warm?

Cagivagurl
A story with at least ten votes and a score of 4.50 or more.

Your alternatives sound promising, though.

I would love your list of which categories it's easy in and which it's hard in.
Loving wives is a tough place to get an H. I've got one short story that features a bunch of gay male sex, no H.

Easier categories to get H's in are lesbians, erotic couplings, group sex, and there's one or two more but I'm on my third glass of wine for the evening and the memory function is checking out early, this evening.

I have a red H on one story, but another one bomb could end its fragile existence because it only has a few ratings.

It was an admitedly weird experimental piece, so I'm not really attached to any particular reception. I'm proud of the work, but once it's in the world it's no longer my responsibility. I try not to worry about things I can't control. I'm occasionally even successful at it. :cool:

They're nice. Given the lack of any objective rating of quality or popularity of the stories here, at the very least they're encouragement to keep writing.
Have to agree. I have a few very highly rated stories and almost all HOT. I've even won an award. All that said, I still suffer from significant imposter syndrome and feel I have no idea how good my writing truly is.

Greetings and salutations.

I've had a, frankly, surprising and humbling amount of Red Hs since I started.

I'm thankful for the people who've read them, and enjoyed them enough to vote, follow, favorite, comment etc.

After two years at it though, I think I'd gladly trade a few Red Hs for a higher volume of readers.

Looking for that breakthrough story that reaches the masses. Thought a few of my more recent ones would.

And they've done okay, don't get me wrong. Still, wish I could truly write one that REALLY reaches a wide audience.

Guess I'll just keep working at it. 😀

Back