The Garden Shed

... Now all I have to do is rake a ton of leaves off the lawn!

Collect those leaves and put them in a heavyweight black sack. Tie it up firmly and leave it in a place that gets some sun, and next Spring you'll have some leaf mould to help new plants.

I have a big fan for rent. It works wonders on leaves, dogs, cats, small toddlers. Most of the leaves probably don't belong to you anyway.

Oh - rant opportunity!! :D
Leaf blowers. What idiot invented those? They don't do anything except blow stuff around for it to settle randomly two feet away and are a scandalous waste of energy - especially the petrol-driven ones. What is wrong with a brush? A brush is simple, doesn't need refuelling and doesn't make a noise outside the library where I am working.
:mad::mad::mad:

Oh - rant opportunity!! :D
Leaf blowers. What idiot invented those? They don't do anything except blow stuff around for it to settle randomly two feet away and are a scandalous waste of energy - especially the petrol-driven ones. What is wrong with a brush? A brush is simple, doesn't need refuelling and doesn't make a noise outside the library where I am working.
:mad::mad::mad:

Now that you've had your adrenaline rush, :D I didn't say a word about a leaf blower. I said a big sucking and blowing fan. Much quieter and more efficient. ;)

Now that you've had your adrenaline rush, :D I didn't say a word about a leaf blower. I said a big sucking and blowing fan. Much quieter and more efficient. ;)
Spoken like a true man (who prefers a good sucking to a blow anytime ) ;) :D

Collect those leaves and put them in a heavyweight black sack. Tie it up firmly and leave it in a place that gets some sun, and next Spring you'll have some leaf mould to help new plants.

Excellent! as I have been raking leaves and just filled my green bin, but only done about a quarter of the lawn :( Now I must go and get dressed up in Mommy clothes to see Piglet do some presentation of her schoolwork, though.

I have a big fan for rent. It works wonders on leaves, dogs, cats, small toddlers. Most of the leaves probably don't belong to you anyway.

No! none of them belong to me, LOL. They are all off the trees in the park on the edge of my modest estate - so they belong to the council. Which belongs to the public, which is me so maybe one or two of them belong to me :confused:

Spoken like a true man (who prefers a good sucking to a blow anytime ) ;) :D

Let's lie back and think of TX sucking and blowing our 'leaves' about. :devil:

I have collected one sack of leaves! That was just from a very small patch of garden under the stand of oak trees :rolleyes: It's raining hard today and I must get ready for the burlesque show. Hopefully more next week! (Leaves I mean ;))

I have collected one sack of leaves! That was just from a very small patch of garden under the stand of oak trees :rolleyes: It's raining hard today and I must get ready for the burlesque show. Hopefully more next week! (Leaves I mean ;))

Well, they need to be a bit moist (the leaves, I mean). . . .
:eek:

Well, they need to be a bit moist (the leaves, I mean). . . .
:eek:

<snerk>

Popped back for advice and update.

When JackLuis said I should put gypsum on the veg patch, would it be better to wait til spring to do it? Or should I do it now?

God, I must have about ten sacks of leaves now behind the shed :rolleyes:. The council have reduced our green bin collection to the winter once-a-month rota, and none of us can cram any more leaves in the big green bins, so I have to put them in bags. I still have a lot of leaves to rake! when I manage to get out and do it, I find the grass is patchy and yellowing under clumps of leaves that have collected in the lawn so I am determined to keep going with it.

Raining lightly today, so I may not get much done today. At least the wind has dropped so AT LAST the builder (well, two of his lads) has been able to come and clear out our gutters. As you can imagine, living right next to a stand of mature oak trees, the gutters are jammed with leaves and one even has a good sized fern growing in it! I'm hoping to rescue that and plant it in the garden :)

The builder asked me to warn everyone they would be coming, as he said once he turned up early to do someone's gutters but they were still dressing and not pleased at him peering through their windows :D. I said, we are all old ladies here, we will be very excited at the prospect, and all put on our support stockings for you ;)

My spring bulbs which I planted about six weeks ago have started showing green shoots :(. I hope they will be OK as it gets colder - if it does. It has been such a mild winter so far, although my mum says she has had snow. (She lives in the Scottish Borders.)

<snerk>

Popped back for advice and update.

When JackLuis said I should put gypsum on the veg patch, would it be better to wait til spring to do it? Or should I do it now?

God, I must have about ten sacks of leaves now behind the shed :rolleyes:. The council have reduced our green bin collection to the winter once-a-month rota, and none of us can cram any more leaves in the big green bins, so I have to put them in bags. I still have a lot of leaves to rake! when I manage to get out and do it, I find the grass is patchy and yellowing under clumps of leaves that have collected in the lawn so I am determined to keep going with it.

- ;)

My spring bulbs which I planted about six weeks ago have started showing green shoots :(. I hope they will be OK as it gets colder - if it does. It has been such a mild winter so far, although my mum says she has had snow. (She lives in the Scottish Borders.)

I suggest that you spread the gypsum now and let the winter rain leach it into the soil. Then in spring add some more when you turn the veg plot in prep for planting. You might scratch it in a bit, with a rake, but no need to turn the soil over.

I hope you used a bit of bone meal when you planted your bulbs, if not scratch a bit into the soil now. My Freesias are sprouting now that the rains have started. They will be fragrant in April-May and lend a bit of perfume to the fresh spring air.

As for leaves, if you can find a leaf grinder, (at a rental shop?) run your leaves thru it and place them in a pile in the back garden, or as a mulch over the veg plot, after you spread the gypsum. Turn them over, (mix then up a bit) about every three weeks. Ground leaves will break down very fast and you will have lots of lovely mulch to loosen your compacted soil. It makes it easier to pull the weeds later also. Unground leaves will take longer to break down and require much more turning over the winter.

Awww, thanks JackLuis :heart:

I'll get some gypsum in and spread it. :)

I'm not sure about the leaf grinder, I still need to get my boiler sorted and paid for, LOL. Luckily Piglet has turned her little snout up at expensive birds for Christmas and wants to have roast chicken. And she drinks very little so I can save on champagne there too ;)

I'm not sure about the leaf grinder, I still need to get my boiler sorted and paid for, LOL. Luckily Piglet has turned her little snout up at expensive birds for Christmas and wants to have roast chicken. And she drinks very little so I can save on champagne there too ;)

Maybe Cornish game hens for a change. Ours don't come from Cornwall but Bakersfield, however Bakersfield game hens doesn't sound as sexy.

My Mum used to do the same.
A Turkey was expensive and too damned big for the oven.

Leaf grinder? An old kitchen mincer from a charity or junk shop would do it - slowly on the coarsest setting.

Expensive bird for Christmas? We have a small pre-prepared turkey joint - ready stuffed in a foil tray. That is enough for two of us and we aren't eating turkey leftovers for weeks.

Leaf grinder? An old kitchen mincer from a charity or junk shop would do it - slowly on the coarsest setting.

Expensive bird for Christmas? We have a small pre-prepared turkey joint - ready stuffed in a foil tray. That is enough for two of us and we aren't eating turkey leftovers for weeks.

Good Thinking. I'd forgotten them

Jeepers! Can you see me grinding ten sacks of leaves in a small kitchen mincer? I actually have a very beautiful old one which Outlaw Mom gave me. It's only problem is that the plastic seal on the bottom has gone, so you can't fix it to the counter to do the grinding. She was like me, and couldn't bear to throw it away in case there was any way of fixing this classic kitchen implement. It's a lovely blue colour, I just keep it for decoration at the moment.

But I am not going to spend my time grinding all the leaves all over my garden with it! :eek:

The turkey joint sounds just the thing: very practical. Piglet just really likes chicken, so I said OK to that. Especially as it will be very cheap. My veg man said his company are doing cockerels, and I thought about that but they are £30. A chicken is going to cost me £15 tops, for an extra large and very good quality one.
:)

Fruit Fly

I grow a very modest number of tomato plants most years, and most years fruit flies ruin the lot. Any certain way of killing them?

Note. this is the tropical/sub tropical fruit fly which loves the hot humid weather of summer in Sydney. My guess is that southern US conditions are similar.

I grow a very modest number of tomato plants most years, and most years fruit flies ruin the lot. Any certain way of killing them?

Note. this is the tropical/sub tropical fruit fly which loves the hot humid weather of summer in Sydney. My guess is that southern US conditions are similar.

In California, the Government sprays all over for fruit fly most years. However in Oz I don't think it will work as well as you have vast areas of natural fruit that would not be sprayed.

Swallows, maybe?

They aren't a problem where I live, so I have no direct experience, but I googled "controlling fruit flies" and came up with a trap design to keep them off from tomatoes in Oz. There are quite a few different designs and baits, including fruit, wine and vinegar.

In California, the Government sprays all over for fruit fly most years. However in Oz I don't think it will work as well as you have vast areas of natural fruit that would not be sprayed.

Swallows, maybe?

Some sort of fly-eating lizard perhaps ?

Ishtat, how about growing your tomatoes in a greenhouse? I know you wouldn't need to do it for the heat, like here in the UK, but that might allow you to grow even more tomatoes and keep the flies off. Alternatively, this paper by a learned authority on Papaya Fruit Flies, recommends covering the fruit in cheesecloth, mosquito netting or a brown paper bag.
http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1962-vol-75/381-384 (WOLFENBARGER).pdf

I popped back to post this picture of Christmas roses which I saw today are coming up in the garden.

I bought this plant about six years ago in Monmouth at a little market. It was always the first to come up and hint that spring will be sprunging again. I was determined not to leave it behind so I dug it out of the old house's garden and brought it with me in a carrier bag. It has beautiful pink-edged flowers. I'll post more pictures when it comes into bloom.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Christmas roses.jpg
    Christmas roses.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ishtat, how about growing your tomatoes in a greenhouse? I know you wouldn't need to do it for the heat, like here in the UK, but that might allow you to grow even more tomatoes and keep the flies off.

I popped back to post this picture of Christmas roses which I saw today are coming up in the garden.

I bought this plant about six years ago in Monmouth at a little market. It was always the first to come up and hint that spring will be sprunging again. I was determined not to leave it behind so I dug it out of the old house's garden and brought it with me in a carrier bag. It has beautiful pink-edged flowers. I'll post more pictures when it comes into bloom.

attachment.php

Any chance of a cutting, please?
:rose:

Back