The Garden Shed

The grass clipping could and do have seeds in them. Until the rot (compost) you'll just be adding grass that will need to be weeded later. Not a good idea unless you like weeding. ;)

Chaps, I am having a thought. How about if I dig all the grass clippings I've mowed into the vegetable patch to mulch in? Would that be a good idea? I have dug out the last of the potatoes now and it only has cat poo in it. I was thinking the grass would rot down nicely over winter and be good for the soil.
:cattail:

I think I'm right in saying that you need to let it rot in its own little pile because the process uses up...*good stuff* from the soil...*thinks anaerobic things*. Grass clippings on their own just form a big goooey mess - you need to mix in stalky things like cabbage stalks and apple cores.
Ideally the break-down, like a big garden-tummy, will create heat - hopefully enough to cook n kill many of the seeds :) I say ideally because ours is still a big gooey mess :rolleyes:

I think I'm right in saying that you need to let it rot in its own little pile because the process uses up...*good stuff* from the soil...*thinks anaerobic things*. Grass clippings on their own just form a big goooey mess - you need to mix in stalky things like cabbage stalks and apple cores.
Ideally the break-down, like a big garden-tummy, will create heat - hopefully enough to cook n kill many of the seeds :) I say ideally because ours is still a big gooey mess :rolleyes:

Leaves, cuttings, coffee grounds, tea bags, tea, anything that will absorb the wetness you get from just grass. You also need to roll it for mixing and aerating the whole mess.

Leaves, cuttings, coffee grounds, tea bags, tea, anything that will absorb the wetness you get from just grass. You also need to roll it for mixing and aerating the whole mess.

You mean - compost ?

Absorbing wetness ... mixing it up.
:p

OK, I will go and get some cabbage stalks and see what use I can put them to ... no, I am getting a bit over-excited here. I better make a cup of tea.

413zPq5C6oL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Well, yeah, what else would we be talking about in the garden shed. ;)

Well, my garden shed is full of Radio Stuff & tools.
Compost is nowhere to be found.

Absorbing wetness ... mixing it up.
:p

OK, I will go and get some cabbage stalks and see what use I can put them to ... no, I am getting a bit over-excited here. I better make a cup of tea.

I recall one of the myriad gardening programmes we've suffered on the TV, that you might need to moisten the mess. And there's some sort of podwery stuff to accelerate rotting down.

Hullo chaps!
HP, you are going to be very excited. After a busy weekend, I managed to give my rough patch ;) a final rake and mow. As the good weather has continued, and I was passing the hardware shop (<snerk>), I popped in to pick up some Sadolin.

Acksherly the only tin of Sadolin they had was a very old one of Kingfisher Blue. They said I could have that at a knockdown price, s'long as I don't complain if it turns out to have congealed into a model of a kingfisher inside. It isn't enough for the whole shed - and I don't want a whole Kingfisher Blue shed! so I bought some yachting varnish for most of the shed, and I will just do a sort of trim in the Kingfisher. Or candy stripes. Or maybe I'll paint the door. Anyway I will soon have the place shipshape and Bristol fashion ;)

I thought I would use this instead of scouring sponges - as it's a proper sanding thing and will look professional and :cool:. (In the background you can see some sorrel I'm going to pick and cook for tea.)

attachment.php

I will be back shortly to look in my other thread, serve up tea and pick up messages! I have to go and deliver Piglet's violin and other impedimenta to the Fella's house. My dislike of going there has been overcome by my dislike of seeing Piggles totter off in the morning looking like she's about to scale K2 because of the amount of gear she has loaded in her rucksack for the overnight stay - and with a violin perched on top. Besides, I really need to get some exercise as I'm starting to find armchairs are being worn rather tighter this autumn than I'd anticipated.

I have planted some spring bulbs BTW, and ordered a few more (a mixed bag of fritillaria and cyclamen seed). The cats are very thrilled at my having dug out such a nice place for them to poo in.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sander.jpg
    Sander.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Flowerbed and pussy.jpg
    Flowerbed and pussy.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
Compost is nowhere to be found.

I recall one of the myriad gardening programmes we've suffered on the TV, that you might need to moisten the mess. And there's some sort of podwery stuff to accelerate rotting down.

I have two compost bins. One is full and ready for use on the garden. The other is current waste - vegetable discards from the kitchen, tea bags, weeds AND grass cuttings. I use Garotta:

http://www.greenfingers.com/product_review.asp?dept_id=200498&pf_id=PP0091A

or an equivalent, sprinkled between the various layers.

It is getting too cold for effective composting now. A compost heap, bin, pile or whatever needs to be started in the Spring and should be ready to spread on the garden in October/November. The frosts help to break it down into the soil.

Way too much energy in this thread. ;)

Oh yeah, and do be careful sanding the rough patches. Once you start, there is never an ending point.

I learned something new the other day. Some high gloss Varnishes can have a UV rating of over 50,000 but satin Varnish has no UV protection at all.

Have fun. I'm smiling as I'm thinking of sanding dust and splattered paint. :)

I suggest you do the door.
:D

I know that as soon as I finish the shed, you are going to suggest I do the fence! :mad:

OK, I was hoping to have a little tootle in here before going back to sand more shed but one of my students phoned in a pickle and I had to sort that out. Back soon for more (hopefully).

(I'm going to see if I can buy a cheap composting bin from the council; I know they used to do them but they may have been subject to the cut backs.)

I just want to check that the sanding doesn't have to be that rigorous. Like, there is still a bit of green colour on the walls, although they are all perfectly dry and that. If I sand too vigorously, there won't be much shed left! :eek: Also, I don't have to varnish right under the eaves, do I? Cuz some spiders have left their eggs bundled up there and I don't want to disturb the baby spiders.

And I want to check that you all approve of my outfit for painting the shed with yachting varnish:

attachment.php

Attachments

• RETRO-SAILOR-SWIMSUIT.jpg
    RETRO-SAILOR-SWIMSUIT.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
Way too much energy in this thread. ;)

Oh yeah, and do be careful sanding the rough patches. Once you start, there is never an ending point.

LOL, I think I was posting while you were at the same time. :kiss:

I was very careful sanding. I figured I could be there rubbing on the same spot all day without any reaction <snerk>, so I just did a bit, then went over the woodwork with a soft brush to get rid of dust. Brushing softly does it for me ;). Then I varnished with a 25:75 white spirit/yachting varnish mix. It was curiously unlike varnishing my nails. I did my best to work my brush into all the available cracks ;).

I think that was a pretty good day's work - especially as I have not even really started work, I have to teach tonight.
:cool:

Does the yacht varnish allow the wood to breathe? We're told by Swedish-sounding wood preservation manufacturers, that it has to breathe. I've stood in the shed for ages listening but with no success - I think it holds its breath.
How long can garden sheds hold their breath?

Does the yacht varnish allow the wood to breathe? We're told by Swedish-sounding wood preservation manufacturers, that it has to breathe. I've stood in the shed for ages listening but with no success - I think it holds its breath.

The only time wood breaths is when it is heated or cooled. When using epoxy or varnish, always do it when the wood is cooling. If you do it while the temp is rising, you will end up with millions of tiny bubbles. Tiny bubbles are nice in champagne but not in a finish. ;)

I found this out the hard way when i was epoxying a wooden boat i made earlier in the year.

I was very careful sanding. I figured I could be there rubbing on the same spot all day without any reaction <snerk>, so I just did a bit, then went over the woodwork with a soft brush to get rid of dust. Brushing softly does it for me ;). Then I varnished with a 25:75 white spirit/yachting varnish mix. It was curiously unlike varnishing my nails. I did my best to work my brush into all the available cracks ;).

I presume this is an "exterior grade" polyurethane varnish ?
Well, that ratio is a bit of an 'intermediate' one. (start with a thinner one, but finish with it neat).
Get shot of the spiders (I hate the little blighters) as best you may (I use an anti-spider spray) and paint well up into the eaves.
You'll need more coats later, I'm thinking.

My shed is in "natural" wood colour and coated with "the best stuff in the world", which I get from a very helpful little man at my local market. I'm told it will permit some breathing. I ain't noticed any problems in 10 years.
So if its holding its breath, it has enormous capacity. . .

Awww, :heart:

(The shed has a lot of cracks in the walls so it can still breathe ;) )

Tiny bubbles are nice in champagne

Mmm, champagne! :cathappy:

img-thing

I'm going to have some Prosecco now. I'm going to cook rabbit with it :devil:

That ratio is a bit of an 'intermediate' one. (start with a thinner one, but finish with it neat).

Yes, I thought I'd put another coat on tomorrow? That's what the tin said to do: paint a thin coat, then a second one. But I don't think I've got enough varnish for a second coat of the yacht stuff. I'll do the two walls that aren't visible with the yacht stuff, and do the other two Kingfisher, and then I thought I'd get a little tin of green varnish for the door?

Awww, :heart:
(The shed has a lot of cracks in the walls so it can still breathe ;) )
Mmm, champagne! :cathappy:

I'm going to have some Prosecco now. I'm going to cook rabbit with it :devil:

Yes, I thought I'd put another coat on tomorrow? That's what the tin said to do: paint a thin coat, then a second one. But I don't think I've got enough varnish for a second coat of the yacht stuff. I'll do the two walls that aren't visible with the yacht stuff, and do the other two Kingfisher, and then I thought I'd get a little tin of green varnish for the door?

OK. But GREEN ? and what type of varnish ?

I think you'd be better off kee[img the thing 'neutral' untill the price of some decent varnish appears on the scope. Then plaster it on!

I don't suppose you'd like a coffe at the museum sometime, would you ?

OK. But GREEN ? and what type of varnish ?

I think you'd be better off kee[img the thing 'neutral' untill the price of some decent varnish appears on the scope. Then plaster it on!

I don't suppose you'd like a coffe at the museum sometime, would you ?

Yes I would! I would love a coffee at the museum.
:)

I mean a kind of soft green that would go with the Kingfisher. Presumably if they make Kingfisher wood varnish, they make green too? Oh dear, have I got it all wrong. It was the only tin of Sadolin in the shop.
:rose:

Yes I would! I would love a coffee at the museum.
:)

I mean a kind of soft green that would go with the Kingfisher. Presumably if they make Kingfisher wood varnish, they make green too? Oh dear, have I got it all wrong. It was the only tin of Sadolin in the shop.
:rose:

You could always place an order, I s'pose
How big is the shed anyway ?

Last edited:
Back