The Crap We Watch

You get a lot of dry British comedy on PBS. I'm enjoying watching the whole Yes Minister series again.

My wife is a big Hyacinth fan. She has the DVR set to record Keeping Up Appearances, which apparently is only shown on PBS. I have to admit I find it amusing, especially considering how many truisms are in the show (based on the short time I lived in the UK).

We also have all the seasons of Coupling on DVD. Now that was a hilarious show. :)

I watched the first five episodes of Copper (on BBCA) on my DVR. I'm liking the setup. The writers and director are doing a pretty good job of portraying life in New York City in 1864. There's a heavy dose of racism, of course, because it was so blatant and powerful then. Cynicism is astronomical, and everybody comes across as being either corrupted or corruptible.

I had an inkling that I would like this series; I was right. ;)

Last edited:
Wait, Slyc, do you mean 1864? Isn't Copper set in the late 1800s?

I watched probably the first half of the first season, I really liked it.

Wait, Slyc, do you mean 1864? Isn't Copper set in the late 1800s?

I watched probably the first half of the first season, I really liked it.

Gah! Mistype. Yeah, 1864.

When I first saw the previews, I thought it reminded me of Gangs of New York, and it does. Go figger. Same part of New York, same time period. But it's more the feel that seems to grant that connection.

I feel like there's a purposeful lead-up to the events of 1865 brewing in the background. I'm interested to see how the writers will handle the local social and political ramifications when the Civil War ends, and after Lincoln's assassination.

Has anyone watched - Under the Dome - ?

So far it has been predictable, yet they have already killed off three character in only three episodes. Not that they were major characters, but still.

Has anyone watched - Under the Dome - ?

So far it has been predictable, yet they have already killed off three character in only three episodes. Not that they were major characters, but still.

Never heard of it. Got a link?

Is this the series based off the Stephen King story? I admit I don't follow much of what's on the Big 4 networks. I have to say it does look interesting.

From Wiki...

Under the Dome is a science fiction novel by Stephen King, published in November 2009. It is a partial rewrite of a novel King attempted to write twice in the late 1970s and early 1980s, under the titles The Cannibals and Under the Dome. As King stated on his official site, these two unfinished works "were two very different attempts to utilize the same idea, which concerns itself with how people behave when they are cut off from the society they've always belonged to. Also, my memory of The Cannibals is that it, like Needful Things, was a kind of social comedy. The new Under the Dome is played dead straight."[1] From the material originally written, only the first chapter is included in the new novel.[2]

Another interesting show, it's from CBS also, Person of Interest. It's going into its third season, so three years ago Jonathan Nolan came across some blurb that led him to create a show about government spying.

Premise: An eccentric billionaire builds a machine(computer) that can spy on every single person in the US and sells it to the government for $1. That's one dollar, U.S.

The short blurb: The series revolves around a former CIA agent (Jim Caviezel) recruited by a mysterious billionaire (Michael Emerson) to prevent violent crimes in New York City.

The long blurb: John Reese (Jim Caviezel), a former Green Beret and CIA field officer, is living as a derelict in New York City after the death of the woman he loves, and is presumed dead. He is approached by Harold Finch (Michael Emerson), a reclusive billionaire computer genius who is living under an assumed identity. Finch explains that after September 11, 2001, he built a computer system for the government that uses information gleaned from omnipresent surveillance to predict future terrorist attacks. However, Finch discovered that the computer was predicting ordinary crimes as well. The government is not interested in these results, but Finch is determined to stop the predicted crimes. He hires Reese to conduct surveillance and intervene as needed, using his repertoire of skills gained in the military and the CIA. Through a back door built into the system, Finch receives the Social Security number of someone who will be involved in an imminent crime, at which point he contacts Reese. Without knowing what the crime will be, when it will occur, or even if the person they were alerted to is a victim or perpetrator, Reese and Finch must try to stop the crime from occurring.

Show opening:

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know, because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people; people like you. Crimes the government considered 'irrelevant'. They wouldn't act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you".

Season one opening voice-over by Mr. Finch.

I'm hooked. Downloaded season 1 & 2, now waiting for season three to premier.

An aside: I find it interesting that Johnathan Nolan wrote a screenplay about government spying. ie. NSA scandal, only he knew about it three years ago.

Last edited:
Haunted History

Saw an ad for an upcoming series called Haunted History. Like Paranormal Witness, The Haunted, and A Haunting, it's one of those real-life-based shows that dramatizes actual events. But the particular preview triggered my plot bunny sense.

It concerns H.H. Holmes and his so-called Murder Castle, a hotel located not far from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Within the hotel were secret passages and trap doors so that Holmes could spy on his residents and plan their demise. Apparently, he would gas the room, take his victims to the basement, then torture and eventually kill them. While he confessed to 27 murders, Holmes' body count, according to some, may have been as high as 200.

Now tell me that's not one hell of a plot bunny. Throw in some voyeuristic sex scenes and we got ourselves an "epic" Erotic Horror tale. ;)

My wife is a big Hyacinth fan. She has the DVR set to record Keeping Up Appearances, which apparently is only shown on PBS. I have to admit I find it amusing, especially considering how many truisms are in the show (based on the short time I lived in the UK).

We also have all the seasons of Coupling on DVD. Now that was a hilarious show. :)

My mom LOVES Hyacinth, which privately cracks me up because she's oblivious to some of the strong resemblances she has to Hyacinth's proclivities. Mom prides herself on the fact that she may have dust, but it's all white, and that she has three (three!) sets of 12 places of fancy china. :eek:

It ran on her local PBS station until two Saturdays ago, but now it's gone. Mom is in what I suspect are the early stages of Alzheimer's, and had a right over the top tantrum about this...then promptly forgot all about it until the following Saturday. Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm glad I made my escape (shallow as that sounds) before meltdown #3. The whole thing, especially coming from my previously oh-so-stoic Germanic mom, was really unnerving. To top it off, it's been replaced by Waiting for God, which she finds completely un-funny.

My mom LOVES Hyacinth, which privately cracks me up because she's oblivious to some of the strong resemblances she has to Hyacinth's proclivities. Mom prides herself on the fact that she may have dust, but it's all white, and that she has three (three!) sets of 12 places of fancy china. :eek:

It ran on her local PBS station until two Saturdays ago, but now it's gone. Mom is in what I suspect are the early stages of Alzheimer's, and had a right over the top tantrum about this...then promptly forgot all about it until the following Saturday. Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm glad I made my escape (shallow as that sounds) before meltdown #3. The whole thing, especially coming from my previously oh-so-stoic Germanic mom, was really unnerving. To top it off, it's been replaced by Waiting for God, which she finds completely un-funny.

PBS goes in cycles when it comes to showing the older Brit comedies. My wife has the DVR set to record all episodes of Keeping Up Appearances, so that she's never without.

At the same time, I understand the DVD sets of the series aren't too expensive on Amazon. I'd order them, but we already have all the seasons of Are You Being Served?, Coupling, and Red Dwarf. I figure I've "humoured" her enough. :p

Been a while . . . .

The Musketeers

I saw an ad for this while watching Top Gear a couple of weeks ago and it caught my eye. I'm a sucker for Dumas' original work and all the various adaptations produced as a result. I've got two copies of the original book -- the tennis scenes are priceless -- and every movie ever adapted from it on DVD. Personally, my favorite is the 1973 version. I mean, c'mon, it's got Richard Chamberlain, Charlton Heston, Raquel Welch, Faye Dunaway, Oliver Reed and Michael York.

Anyway, the serial offering now on BBC is, well . . . captivating. The only similarities to the original are the setting, names, and basic characterizations. Other than that, the series is taking the classic tale in an entirely new direction.

Instead of being given a letter of introduction to Athos by his father, the young D'artagnan instead is made to believe that his father is murdered by Athos. So D'artagnan travels to Paris with the intention of exacting revenge. In due course, he unwittingly meets Milady DeWinter -- though he does not know it -- and enjoys a little romp before continuing on his way. He gets to Paris, finds Athos, but of course doesn't kill him. Aramis and Porthos are there to keep things civil, even when the hothead D'artagnan insists on fighting them all.

From there, Athos is arrested for treason, D'artagnan joins Porthos and Aramis to clear his name, and various plot elements are introduced.

I'm not going to give a bit-by-bit critique on the entire show. But the characterizations, the setting, the intrigue, hell, even the costumes are excellent as well as elegant. It's a much more fanciful version of 18th-century France than the reality, but let's face it: the reality would be too depressing and not nearly as sexy.

The basic rundown:

Luke Pasqualino as D'artagnan: pretty boy does good. He portrays impetuousness well and spends a lot of time acting on impulses instead of being cautious. Maybe not too surprisingly, the Musketeers are able to deal with him, mainly because he's much more compliant when calm. I think of him as a twinkish version of Wolverine.

Howard Charles as Porthos: I love this guy. It's nice to see a Porthos that isn't Oliver Platt/Gerard Depardieu chubby, or portrayed as the hulking behemoth in the most recent Musketeers movie which I only watched once because it was so terrible. Charles' Porthos is a scrappy rogue, wearing a pirate's bandana half the time, more than willing to duke it out but is also conscientious of tactics. Probably the most intelligent Porthos ever portrayed.

Santiago Cabrera as Aramis: Never heard of this actor before, but he's got the Aramis charm down pat. At the least, he makes the goatee work ;) The first episode didn't showcase him much, but the man's got charisma. It's easy to see why he's such a seducer of women.

Tom Burke as Athos: I like Tom Burke. He has that rough look about him that makes him seem callous and cold, and you can believe that he is, as the website for the show describes, "a leader of men." The first episode revolves around him, and we are given glimpses to his past relationship with Milady. They obviously loved each other, but at some point he thought he killed her.

Maime McCoy as Milady DeWinter: I'll come right out and say it: she's friggin' sexy as all hell. Strong, confident, but still shows vulnerability once in a while (at least if only to lure a victim closer), she beats out Rebecca deMornay and Faye Dunaway both as "sexiest Milday ever." Maybe it's her acting coach, or the director, but I like to think it's the actress herself who is able to make you believe she's a soft and cuddly kitten one moment and a heartless assassin the next.

Tamla Kari as Constance: Strong and yet a little naive, or maybe just bewildered and enamored by the situation she's in. Not sure what to make of this character. She seems a strange sort of romantic interest for D'artagnan, even though she's married.

Peter Capaldi as Cardinal Richelieu: This guy does devious well. He plays the King like a virtuoso, but is careful not to overstep his bounds. You just know this guy is ruthless, but he's not exactly heartless.

I get the feeling that the writers for this show were inspired not only by Dumas' original work, but also by the 80s film version. There's Porthos' portrayal as a sort of pirate, and a scene toward the end of the episode in which Athos is sitting by himself in a tavern, getting drunk, with a comment by Porthos that he should stay behind so that he can carry his fellow Musketeer home. It reminded me strongly of the scene in the 80s movie in which Athos (portrayed then by Kiefer Sutherland) "takes his drinking seriously."

All in all, I'm digging this series. The historical context is fairly accurate, the weapons are period-appropriate (for the most part; I love Aramis' matchlock rifle), and the costumes are impressive. This is one of those rare shows that blends both good writing and good visual appeal.

To top it off, it's been replaced by Waiting for God, which she finds completely un-funny.

I loved "Waiting for God." It's the quick one-liners that made it. Stephanie Cole is a spirited & determined (very English) character and Graham Crowden's "Tom" is a perfect foil. But the one that makes me roar with laughter is Tom's drunken Daughter-in-Law, Marion.

Curiously, I found Hyacinth almost painful to watch; (I had an aged relative like that).

And now for something completely different . . . .

Sherlock (BBC/BBC America)

The show is, technically, almost 5 years old at this point, but we here in the USA (at least those of us relying on DiSH for our television programming) are apparently only just hearing of it now. Or maybe I just never noticed it before.

Sherlock takes the basic characters and stories from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's iconic works and updates them to the 21st century. I'm finding the characterizations more appealing than the storylines, but that's not actually a distraction.

In the pilot episode, we're introduced to Sherlock Holmes as a loner who feels he is often attacked by those around him, yet at the same time revels in the tidbits he is given by the "lesser people" whom he often terms as "idiots." He is the epitome of the infuriatingly likable character. Holmes is not the sort of person you would want as a house guest, but at the same time, you're morbidly interested in his views on things. He's a self-impressed egomaniac, but also a strangely fragile character.

I think the part of the pilot that describes him best is when a police forensics team member describes Sherlock as a "psychopath," to which Sherlock responds:

"I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research."

In a word: Brilliant.

And then there's Dr. John Watson, a military doctor who supposedly suffers from a chronic wound which, Holmes deduces, is actually psycho-somatic (as proved throughout the episode). Watson ends up becoming not just Holmes' partner, but also his savior and a sort of partner-in-crime, by anonymously shooting the bad guy at the end of the pilot. Clearly, these two men are creating a strange bond based on mutual respect and admiration of skill, set outside the realm of conventional detective work.

I won't say that the pilot episode had me guessing til the very end; I realized the villain of the plot had to be a taxi driver about halfway through. But what intrigued me was the final showdown between the taxi driver and Holmes; it was something of a more tense and cerebral exchange between Westley and Vizzini (for those of you who have seen The Princess Bride), culminating in what was obviously a frustrating lack of information for Holmes; did he, or did he not choose the right capsule to swallow?

My DVR has recorded a couple of episodes since the pilot, but I haven't watched them yet. I'm waiting to share them with my wife. So far, though, I like how the series has begun.

I loved "Waiting for God." It's the quick one-liners that made it. Stephanie Cole is a spirited & determined (very English) character and Graham Crowden's "Tom" is a perfect foil. But the one that makes me roar with laughter is Tom's drunken Daughter-in-Law, Marion.

Curiously, I found Hyacinth almost painful to watch; (I had an aged relative like that).

I'm with you on both of these.

Is this the version with Benedict Cumberbatch?
Or yet another one?

The show is, technically, almost 5 years old at this point, but we here in the USA (at least those of us relying on DiSH for our television programming) are apparently only just hearing of it now. Or maybe I just never noticed it before.

Sherlock takes the basic characters and stories from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's iconic works and updates them to the 21st century. I'm finding the characterizations more appealing than the storylines, but that's not actually a distraction.

In the pilot episode, we're introduced to Sherlock Holmes as a loner who feels he is often attacked by those around him, yet at the same time revels in the tidbits he is given by the "lesser people" whom he often terms as "idiots." He is the epitome of the infuriatingly likable character. Holmes is not the sort of person you would want as a house guest, but at the same time, you're morbidly interested in his views on things. He's a self-impressed egomaniac, but also a strangely fragile character.

I think the part of the pilot that describes him best is when a police forensics team member describes Sherlock as a "psychopath," to which Sherlock responds:

And then there's Dr. John Watson, a military doctor who supposedly suffers from a chronic wound which, Holmes deduces, is actually psycho-somatic (as proved throughout the episode). Watson ends up becoming not just Holmes' partner, but also his savior and a sort of partner-in-crime, by anonymously shooting the bad guy at the end of the pilot. Clearly, these two men are creating a strange bond based on mutual respect and admiration of skill, set outside the realm of conventional detective work.

I won't say that the pilot episode had me guessing til the very end; I realized the villain of the plot had to be a taxi driver about halfway through. But what intrigued me was the final showdown between the taxi driver and Holmes; it was something of a more tense and cerebral exchange between Westley and Vizzini (for those of you who have seen The Princess Bride), culminating in what was obviously a frustrating lack of information for Holmes; did he, or did he not choose the right capsule to swallow?

My DVR has recorded a couple of episodes since the pilot, but I haven't watched them yet. I'm waiting to share them with my wife. So far, though, I like how the series has begun.

Or yet another one?

Yes, the Stephen Moffat - Mark Gatiss production.

New episodes, when they ultimately air, will be on PBS Masterpiece. It's currently available on Netflix.

There is going to be a Christmas special this year, set in Victorian England. Sherlock.

I had heard so much praise for this series before finally watching it, and I was a little disappointed by the first episode. But after that one, it really took off. It is one of the best shows on TV, even if it is also one of the scarcest.

Another interesting show, it's from CBS also, Person of Interest. It's going into its third season, so three years ago Jonathan Nolan came across some blurb that led him to create a show about government spying.

Premise: An eccentric billionaire builds a machine(computer) that can spy on every single person in the US and sells it to the government for $1. That's one dollar, U.S.

The short blurb: The series revolves around a former CIA agent (Jim Caviezel) recruited by a mysterious billionaire (Michael Emerson) to prevent violent crimes in New York City.

The long blurb: John Reese (Jim Caviezel), a former Green Beret and CIA field officer, is living as a derelict in New York City after the death of the woman he loves, and is presumed dead. He is approached by Harold Finch (Michael Emerson), a reclusive billionaire computer genius who is living under an assumed identity. Finch explains that after September 11, 2001, he built a computer system for the government that uses information gleaned from omnipresent surveillance to predict future terrorist attacks. However, Finch discovered that the computer was predicting ordinary crimes as well. The government is not interested in these results, but Finch is determined to stop the predicted crimes. He hires Reese to conduct surveillance and intervene as needed, using his repertoire of skills gained in the military and the CIA. Through a back door built into the system, Finch receives the Social Security number of someone who will be involved in an imminent crime, at which point he contacts Reese. Without knowing what the crime will be, when it will occur, or even if the person they were alerted to is a victim or perpetrator, Reese and Finch must try to stop the crime from occurring.

Show opening:

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know, because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people; people like you. Crimes the government considered 'irrelevant'. They wouldn't act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you".

Season one opening voice-over by Mr. Finch.

I'm hooked. Downloaded season 1 & 2, now waiting for season three to premier.

An aside: I find it interesting that Johnathan Nolan wrote a screenplay about government spying. ie. NSA scandal, only he knew about it three years ago.

Speaking of Person of Interest...I saw this yesterday:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ise-in-shootings/ar-AA9QONw?ocid=ansnewsreu11

The machine is always watching....

I very much like Person of Interest, though I enjoyed it more when it was an episodic "saving people" show than the recent twist with the other Machine/organization. I suppose it was inevitable, but it's much less interesting to me.

An addendum to the Hyacinth post I made a while ago. I ended up getting Mom the entire boxed set for Christmas a year ago. She loved it! It was one of the last things we watched together while she was still lucid, before she she passed a year ago yesterday. :heart:

I'm eagerly awaiting Wolf Hall on PBS here. I've heard good and bad about it, but I'm mostly in it for the costuming and sets. I HOPE the costuming is better than The Tudors. (insert gnashing teeth here)

My other very favorite show is Blacklist. James Spader is so disturbing that he's almost sexy. Wow!

Or yet another one?

Yes, the Stephen Moffat - Mark Gatiss production.

New episodes, when they ultimately air, will be on PBS Masterpiece. It's currently available on Netflix.

There is going to be a Christmas special this year, set in Victorian England. Sherlock.

Don't spoil it for me, Sofla ;)

I've liked Stephen Moffat since his run with Coupling. If there's anything in a TV show I value above all else, it's the dialogue, and Coupling had it in spades. So does Sherlock. You can write out scenario after scenario, but if the dialogue isn't good enough, and the actors can't deliver it with conviction, then it might just as well be an episode of ChiPs.

I had heard so much praise for this series before finally watching it, and I was a little disappointed by the first episode. But after that one, it really took off. It is one of the best shows on TV, even if it is also one of the scarcest.

It does seem to be scarce, indeed, like another of my favorite shows from last year, The Strain.

I very much like Person of Interest, though I enjoyed it more when it was an episodic "saving people" show than the recent twist with the other Machine/organization. I suppose it was inevitable, but it's much less interesting to me.

An addendum to the Hyacinth post I made a while ago. I ended up getting Mom the entire boxed set for Christmas a year ago. She loved it! It was one of the last things we watched together while she was still lucid, before she she passed a year ago yesterday. :heart:

I'm eagerly awaiting Wolf Hall on PBS here. I've heard good and bad about it, but I'm mostly in it for the costuming and sets. I HOPE the costuming is better than The Tudors. (insert gnashing teeth here)

My other very favorite show is Blacklist. James Spader is so disturbing that he's almost sexy. Wow!

I'm glad your mother loved it. If it suits your beliefs, God rest her. ;)

I've been seeing a lot of previews for Blacklist. Honestly, I've always loved James Spader, but there's something about the way the series is portrayed . . . I dunno. My gut is telling me that the hype doesn't live up to the actuality. I remember being enamored with Numb3ers when it first came out, only to be disappointed by the cardboard characters. A better take on the theme, in my opinion, was Alphas, but that disappeared.

Back