The Beautiful Game - Closed for DeathsKnight

"The chaos is not what worries me, what does is the clean-up afterwards."

She laughed and ate from her own generous plate of food.

"You have to admit that the area is a vast one."

She nodded. It was certainly bigger than it seemed from the front, but glancing back at the building, it was this which was actually too small to meet the growing needs.

"And we all know to what lengths children can go with their energy levels, especially when there is sugar involved."

She made no comment until he prompted her.

"Tell me more about this hospice and the children that comes here today, please?"

She met his serious look and considered her response.

"Most of the children from the hospice won't have those 'energy levels'. The children who live here have chronic and usually life limiting conditions. They get medical care here, but much more than that."

She looked around the grounds with a smile.

"It is a lovely setting, which is part of what prevents this place from feeling like a hospital. But you'd be surprised at how much demand there is for a place like this. Part of the problem is that there's no space for families to stay onsite. Young children like to have familiar people round them as much as possible, especially when they're ill ... "

She paused, gathering her emotions before continuing.

"Today is about raising funds for a family room, a place where the visitors can relax, watch TV, make drinks, even meals between visits, rather than having to come and go."

She smiled.

"You should get your 'energy levels' and chaos aplenty though. Aside from our children, there should be their siblings and family attending today. We have links with local schools who we're hoping might come along."

She sighed.

"Unless you've been in that position, you don't realise how important it is for the child and all the family members..."

She hesitated not having told anyone else what she was about to tell Ivan.

"I first came to this place some years ago now. As a visiting family member."

She gave him the brief facts, but explained further.

"Losing a young relation is the most horrendous experience. This setting makes it as bearable as it can possibly be and gives you quality time together. For me that's priceless. There isn't anything I wouldn't do to support this place."

She told him emotionally.

He looked at her as she explained, he had wondered about some of the games and safety precautions, but now he knew more and when she told him how she actually got involved with all of this he understood her commitment to this specific line of hospices. Of course he didn't have such a background, or at least not one with this kind of impact, but it opened his eyes to another side of Lisa. He finished his food and rumpled the paper plate into a crumpled ball, he gave Lisa a wink with a foolish grin, aimed at a dustbin quite a way off and from his seated position, he kicked the balled-up paper plate. For a few moments it seemed like it will miss, but the gentle breeze pushed it towards the dustbin and it fell into the mouth. He laughed softly,

"And that is how you train."

He motioned to her plate,

"Now you show your stuff."

She had expected him to comment; expected some expression of sympathy for what her family had gone through, but Ivan merely listened and offered no response. Even so she could see him thinking, considering her words and from the little she knew of him so far understood that as a man of few words he would not waste any on trite condolence.

And so a nod was all the acknowledgement he gave to her account and the two finished their meal, both locked in their own thoughts, but upon a common theme.

As she glanced over to his empty plate, Lisa watched him crumple it up and smiled as he kicked it and watched as, miraculously, it landed in the dustbin.
She shook her head as he laughed.

"And that is how you train."

It was clear he expected her to copy his example.

"Now you show your stuff."

She giggled.

"You insist on training even on a ... "

She halted. She had intended to say, 'even on a date', but that seemed ... inappropriate as their 'situation' had not really reached that stage.

" ... work, work, work ... "

She corrected instead in mock complaint as she too crumpled the plate and after much lining up gave it a kick and sent it flying towards the dustbin, but overshooting.

"Well, at least you can't say I 'kick like a girl'..."

She commented with a grin.

"Just that I'm a litter bug..."

She said nodding across as she made ready to retrieve the plate and stow it safely where it belonged...

"A litterbug yes, but only if you fail to pick it up."

He jumped to his feet and raced away to scoop up the crumpled plate and with a little flick toss it into the bin. He crossed his arms over his chest and grinned at her,

"You are a litterbug and for that you must pay a penalty."

He had no idea what a good penalty would be, so he said the first thing that came to mind,

"A kiss will be your punishment."

The words were out before he could stop them and for a brief moment he thought that he had overstepped all boundaries,

"To the winner of the friendly shoot-out competition I will set up later on."

He thanked his agile mind for the quick recovery and hoped that she would go along with it...it could be fun

"A litterbug yes, but only if you fail to pick it up."

He moved swiftly picking up her plate and flicking it into the bin. Lisa chuckled at how pleased with himself he appeared as he grinned at her.

"You are a litterbug and for that you must pay a penalty."

Rather than defend herself and state that she had intended to pick up the plate herself, she was curious as to what the penalty would be.

"A kiss will be your punishment."

His words shocked her only because they were so unexpected, not because the idea of kissing him was so unexpected.

"To the winner of the friendly shoot-out competition I will set up later on."

He added before she could comment. Even she knew a save when she saw it.

"That's a shame ... "

She told him.

"I prefer to pay my dues as I go along ... "

She stood and walked towards him.

" ... and was rather looking forward to doing so ... "

She found herself adding with a blush.

He leaned forward and grinned at her,

"Well perhaps I should save you blushes and try to win the compwtition yes?"

He winked at her,

"After all that is the gentlemanly thing to do if I am not mistaken."

His grin broadened,

"And a kiss from you will of course make for very stiff competetion."

Ivan seemed to lean towards her, a grin on his face.

"Well perhaps I should save you blushes and try to win the competition yes?"

His playful wink did nothing to reassure her. He knew she wanted him to kiss her. How could he not when she had told him as much"?

"After all that is the gentlemanly thing to do if I am not mistaken.
And a kiss from you will of course make for very stiff competition."

She struggled to recover her composure.

" ...so me kissing you is the punishment ... not you kissing me...?"

She asked, stalling skilfully.

"Perhaps we should discuss forfeits before we embark into any kind of competition and declare the litter issue null and void?"

She suggested breathlessly.

"Hmm yes we could do that"

He rested a hand on his chin,

"But that is no fun. To truly deserve a kiss, a man must work to receive it."

He paused,

"But then again...I did work...perhaps I should claim a kiss for compensation and make an even beter prize for the competition."

He grinned,

"The winner to the shoot-out receives a date, one evening with you...that sounds like an even beter prize."

"Hmm yes we could do that"

He seemed to be giving her suggestion serious consideration.

"But that is no fun. To truly deserve a kiss, a man must work to receive it."

She blushed at the change in his words; no longer was he talking of a punishment, but something to be pursued and earned.

"But then again...I did work...perhaps I should claim a kiss for compensation and make an even beter prize for the competition."

She laughed as he changed again.

" ... compensation ... ?"

She queried pointedly as he talked of a 'prize' yet to be named.

"The winner to the shoot-out receives a date, one evening with you...that sounds like an even beter prize."

She pretended to be disappointed.

"That's no incentive for me,"

She pouted.

"If I win, then an evening with myself would be ... well ... nothing special ... "

Though trying to be serious, her mouth twitched with the effort of not smiling.

"So ... if I win ... I get ... a date, an evening with you?"

She watched his reaction.

"Got to make it worth my while..."

She coaxed...

He chuckled,

"If you win? Yes, now I think it starts to shape up."

He paused and looked at her, she was truly the first woman to talk with him like this, who touched him in places inside that he didn't even know existed...

"If you win I will cook for you."

He gave a slight smile,

"It is basically the same, just more personal than going out on a date."

He paused again and gave her a wry grin,

"Of course I could do better and ask you if you would like to come over for dinner tomorrow evening."

"If you win? Yes, now I think it starts to shape up."

She shared his amusement at their ... bartering ..

"If you win I will cook for you."

It was an offer beyond anything she had expected.

"It is basically the same, just more personal than going out on a date."

She nodded wordlessly; for a confident business woman she was finding herself somewhat lost for words around this gentle bearlike man.

"Of course I could do better and ask you if you would like to come over for dinner tomorrow evening."

She blushed.

"... you could ... "

She responded.

"... but didn't you say something about having to earn such a prize?"

She teased wondering if he realised how much she wanted to go on a date with him and how much she wanted him to kiss her ...

"... perhaps I've got my work cut out to try to persuade you to offer such an invitation ... ?"

She suggested almost shyly.

"Ah but if you do not win you will be otherwise occupied, if you win, you will get a free dinner and if neither of us win, are you available next week Friday?"

He smiled at her,

"But first...do we have an accord? Can I set up the shoot-out and you offer up a free evening as prize?"

"Ah but if you do not win you will be otherwise occupied, if you win, you will get a free dinner and if neither of us win, are you available next week Friday?"

Lisa laughed, he hadn't kissed her, but it seemed he was intent on having a 'date' with her ... somehow ...

"But first...do we have an accord? Can I set up the shoot-out and you offer up a free evening as prize?"

His sense of competition seemed irrepressible and Lisa found she liked that about him.

"If that is the only way that I'm going to get a date with you, then I agree."

She gave him a mischievous grin as she added.

"Just don't be too upset if I thrash you, ok?"

Then without warning she reached up and kissed him on the cheek, laughing as she took to her heels to head off at speed towards the house, not caring if he tried to catch up with her or not, or simply let her go...

"Hey! That is not enough compensation!"

He set off after her, she was fast and much fitter than she had let him believe. He caught up with her a few steps from the safety of the house and scooped her up, twirling her around and settling her down so that he stood between her and the house. She was laughing and this had brought a wide smile to his face as well,

"Now that was sneaky."

Without warning he cupped her face in his hands, leaned in and kissed her full on the lips. He held the soft kiss for a long moment and then released her, giving her a wink,

"Now I feel well-compensated."

He grinned and looked around,

"I'm sure everybody can see that blush."

"Hey! That is not enough compensation!"

Ivan had called out in response and as she had suspected he might, he set off after her. She was agile and had a head start and yet Lisa squealed as she found his arms around her, effortlessly lifting her from the ground and swinging her around to stop her reaching the 'safety' of the house.
Laughing breathlessly, she faced him, totally unrepentant.

"Now that was sneaky."

She had no time to offer a sassy reply as unexpectedly his lips met hers, her face held gently yet securely in his hands Ivan kissed her, that contact seeming to last an eternity before he drew back leaving her dazed.

"Now I feel well-compensated."

Flushed and stunned by the intensity of that simple embrace Lisa was unaware that several of the staff had witnessed her flight and the subsequent kiss.

"I'm sure everybody can see that blush."

Ivan observed making her aware that they were the object of some attention at that moment.

"... nothing like fuelling speculation and gossip ... "

She commented breathlessly, though her smile made it clear that she for one was far from worried at being associated with Ivan.

" ... just be aware ... there might be ... consequences ... to your actions Mr Thovenski ... "

She warned softly.

" ... I hope you can handle that ... ?"

Her words sounded more like a promise than a threat ...

He seemed to ponder her words,

"I am sure that I will be able to handle all kinds of reprecussions that could happen from my actions. I hope that the deliveree of said concequences will be able to handle any kind of concequence that the retributuary action might spark."

He frowned,

"I hope that made sense."

He gave a small shrug,

"Lisa I need to know if I could leave for a few minutes and return with a player and the gear I would need for my little centre of soccer fun."

He looked at her face and smiled,

"Any body ever told you that you look lovely when you blush?"

He considered her question.

"I am sure that I will be able to handle all kinds of reprecussions that could happen from my actions."

He told her confidently.

"I hope that the deliveree of said concequences will be able to handle any kind of concequence that the retributuary action might spark ... I hope that made sense."

She chuckled.

" ... perfect sense ... and I'm willing to take any consequences I might incur ... "

Lisa assured him.

"Lisa I need to know if I could leave for a few minutes and return with a player and the gear I would need for my little centre of soccer fun."

That surprised her!

"Wow you sure don't do things by halves, do you Ivan?"

She exclaimed.

"You're a free agent, you can stay for as long or as short a time as you want ... but there's still around 45 minutes before the gates open, so ... there's no rush ... "

She assured him as he threw her a curve ball again by observing.

"Any body ever told you that you look lovely when you blush?"

She laughed and shook her head.

"No, Ivan. In fact I don't remember the last time anyone told me I looked lovely even ... "

She told him.

"... tough boss lady, remember? I don't attract the kind of guys who give compliments like that ... "

She told him thinking of the men at work and at the gym who simply did not understand her ...

"Go do what you need to do Ivan ... see you later... "

She reassured him.

He turned, paused and turned back to face her,

"Lisa, you are a lovely woman, inside and out."

He smiled and then turned away, taking his phone out. A few moments later he was in his car and on his way.

He returned about half-an-hour later, various poles sticking out of the back of the car and in the front sat the young goalkeeper which had just joined the squad. They both carried the poles and netting to a spot which had actually not been taken up by stalls and apparatus, with a few pins and practiced ease the two of them set up a net. The young man jogged away and returned with balls in a huge netted bag. Ivan had found lisa and brought her over,

"Lisa this is Dean, Dean Lisa. Dean had offered his services, if any of the more special children wish to kick the ball, he will help them. For all the others he will be getting his goalkeeper training in."

He gave her a smile,

"You didn't think I will make it easy did you?"

With a wink at her,

"Then, do we have anybody who can keep score perhaps? Just to keep all things fair."

"Lisa, you are a lovely woman, inside and out."

He told her succinctly. Lisa knew a compliment from Ivan was sincerely meant and was touched by his words. She stood as he turned and walked away, already with his phone pressed to his ear and focusing upon the new task in hand.

"You dark horse! How long as this been going on?"

Lisa turned and met the eyes of a petite brunette, only a few years older than she and dressed in a Sunny Rise uniform.

"Kat! I thought you were on holiday still."

The other girl laughed.

"Got back yesterday."

She was clearly checking out Ivan as he disappeared.

"Who's your hunk?"

Lisa laughed.

"There's nothing going on and ... he's not mine ... "

Kat shook her head.

"Yeah, we all saw that ... "

She commented as the two girls laughed together.

"He's someone ... new ... "

Lisa conceded finally.

" ... too early to say how it will turn out ... "

She told Kat reasonably and looked surprised when her friend laughed.

"I'd lay bets on how you two will play out."

Lisa shook her head and changed the subject.

"So, how are the kids doing?"

She prompted eager to hear about how the children in Kat's sector were faring.

"Excited about today ... "

She began to relate the current interests and conditions of the 6 who varied in age, but who were still blissfully active despite their illnesses. They crossed to the smaller of the bouncy castles and caught up. It felt that they had only been talking for moments when Kat halted and nudged Lisa nodding to the sight of Ivan heading towards them.

"Hey Ivan. This is Kate, one of the nurses here and a good friend."

Intrigued Lisa allowed Ivan to lead her over to a far corner of the grounds, Kat having made her excuses that she should head off to see to her charges.

"Lisa this is Dean, Dean Lisa."

Lisa shook the man's hand recognising him from training and the games she had attended.

"Dean had offered his services, if any of the more special children wish to kick the ball, he will help them. For all the others he will be getting his goalkeeper training in."

She glanced across at the man who seemed more than happy to be there, but she wondered just how 'voluntary' his presence actually was.

"You didn't think I will make it easy did you?"

Lisa laughed.

"You sure know how to make a girl work for her prize,"

She told Ivan, aware of Dean's attempt not to appear too interested in their interaction.

"Then, do we have anybody who can keep score perhaps?
Just to keep all things fair."

Lisa laughed.

"Keep score? Between us?"

She shook her head.

"You want to do this now?"

It was only 15 minutes before people would be admitted, not that they were expecting a mad rush.

"If you trust me to be impartial I can keep count."

They both turned to see Kat watching them, despite her previous excuses.

"After you competitive pair are finished, I know 4 kids who would love to have a go here ... "

She added with an innocent look in Lisa's direction.

He smiled wryly,

"Actually Lisa will be the seond to last and I will go last, see if I can be as competitive as you think I am."

He grinned,

"Well if you wish to keep tally Kat I have a scoring sheet with me, all you have to do is fill in the name and write down the amount of goals scored from the six kicks they get. The person who at the end of the day has the highest score wins and if there is a draw we have a sudden death penalty shoot out."

He paused and gave a small cough,

"I did promise Daen refreshments and a t-shirt...think that could be arranged? The t-shirt I mean, I can buy the refreshments."

Daen in the mean-time have slipped away and just as Ivan asked the question he returned, wearing his club workout clothing, the only thing identifying it as such was the breast weapon on the shirt and the colors. Ivan looked at Lisa,

"I hope that is permissable? He was adament about it, basically one of the things he insisted on if he was going to help me out with this."

Last edited:

"Actually Lisa will be the seond to last and I will go last, see if I can be as competitive as you think I am."

Ivan gave Kat instructions as to how to keep tally.

"The person who at the end of the day has the highest score wins and if there is a draw we have a sudden death penalty shoot out."

Lisa interrupted.

"Kat has to take care of the kids, Ivan. If this is an all day thing, then I can trust you to keep score, or get people taking part to help out."

Kat suggested.

"You can borrow a couple of the kids for some of the time. I bet they'd like to help out ... "

"I'll bring them over later ... I'll need to get them ready ..."

So saying Kat headed off.

"I did promise Daen refreshments and a t-shirt...think that could be arranged? The t-shirt I mean, I can buy the refreshments."

Lisa laughed as she reassured Ivan.

"I can get him a tshirt and he can head for the kitchen and help himself.
As you saw we have plenty of supplies."

She turned as the goalkeeper returned and noticed he had changed and was 'ready for action'.

"I hope that is permissable? He was adament about it, basically one of the things he insisted on if he was going to help me out with this."

Lisa wasn't sure what Ivan was referring to and then realised that there was a small club logo on the clothing Dean wore.

"Sure, you're both here as friends, not officially."

She replied touched by Ivan's consideration.

"I can show you were the kitchen is if you want Dean and get you a t-shirt whilst you're helping yourself to some food ...?"

She offered with a friendly smile.

"I hope Ivan didn't bully you into this, but it's good of you to give you your time like this ... many of the children here and their siblings love football..."

Dean actually blushed slightly as Lisa addressed him,

"I would like that, thank you."

He paused and then continued,

"Mr. Th...uhm Ivan had said that he needed help, he explained the basis of what is happening here and well I didn't have much else to do since I study from home, so I decided to come help out..."

He scuffed the ground with the toe of his boot,

"I am glad that I can help out."

Ivan gave Dean a friendly cuff on the shoulder,

"Go with the pretty lady, I will get things ready here."

Dean perked up immediately,

"Will I be facing you as well?"

Ivan nodded and Dean grinned widely,

"I always wanted to see how you make the ball move. Uhm miss Hammond? Can we like uhm hurry?"

His enthusiasm was palpable, clearly far removed at the moment from the level-headed keeper he was in matches. Ivan just shook his head and pulled a clipboard with paper from the bag containing balls, he placed the balls out and got ready for the return of Dean and for the first people who would want to have a kick at his idea.

Last edited:
"I would like that, thank you."

Lisa found Dean's shyness endearing.

"Mr. Th...uhm Ivan had said that he needed help, he explained the basis of what is happening here and well I didn't have much else to do since I study from home, so I decided to come help out..."

Lisa smiled at the young man warmly.

"Well I appreciate it."

She told him warmly making him still more self conscious if that were possible.

"I am glad that I can help out."

Ivan seemed to be amused by the reaction of his new goalie.

"Go with the pretty lady, I will get things ready here."

He teased.

"Will I be facing you as well? I always wanted to see how you make the ball move."[/I]

He told Ivan enthusiastically.

"Uhm miss Hammond? Can we like uhm hurry?"

Lisa laughed at his eagerness.

"As quick as you like Dean ... oh ... and it's Lisa ... "

She invited as she led him back towards the house and left him piling up a plate as she went in search of a t-shirt.

"There ya go ... "

She told him eyeing the already half empty plate.

"You can take that back out there if you want, Dean."

She told him.

"And could you tell Ivan that I'm going to man the gates ... I'll see you both later."

With an indulgent smile as Dean scooted back to Ivan she turned and moved to join 2 of the other women to sit at the tables set up at the side entrance. From there they would take entry money and hand out programmes so that all knew what stalls and activities were on offer ...

The stream was steady and it was a good 45 minutes before she left one solitary volunteer at the desk to charge late comers. As she turned the corner she saw that the activities were all in full swing.

"Lisa! "

She looked across to where her name was being called and saw a small group of children about to go onto the smaller of the bouncy castle. Less exuberant than their siblings, she knew these were the sicker children who would only be able to be outside for a short period of time. Even though her heart contracted every time she saw them and her thoughts went back to her own personal tragedy Lisa smiled broadly and ran across to where they were gathered. Soon she had her own trainers kicked off and was on the inflatable with one of their nurses whilst another remained outside. One child on her lap as Lisa sat and bounced gently, she watched two other little ones, each of them with a hand held as they flexed their knees jumping lightly and giggling at the sensation of the inflatable rocking back and forth ....

Sunny Rise was truly a happy place for children to be and all the more so that afternoon. Lisa could not help but feel blessed that she was involved with such an organisation ...

When it became apparant what Ivan's role was and everybody seemed to realized that he only looked that angry and imposing Dean had his hands full, Ivan dutifully kept scores. It was much more fun than he had anticipated, a girl about ten or so caught his attention, she watched the kickers with enthusiasm in her eyes, but her body held her back. When there was a slight lull and dean was busy sipping water, Ivan moved over to the girl, he smiled his best smile as he crouched down close to her,

"Hello"

She seemed ready to run, but she held her ground,

"Hi"

"What is your name?"

"Lisa"

He smiled again,

"I know a Lisa, I saw her over at one of the bouncy castles, do you know her?"

The girl nodded,

"Would you like to kick a ball?"

Another nod,

"Why don't you come over?"

"Mom says that girls are not supposed to kick balls, she say that makes them un...un...unladylike"

Ivan shook his head,

"Do you think miss Lisa is unladylike?"

The little girl shook her head, Ivan leaned closer conspiratorial,

"She plays soccer in her off time."

Lisa's eyes widened,

"Really?"

Ivan nodded,

"And soon she will be playing in a match"

He looked around,

"How about this? You come kick one ball and see if you like it and if it makes you less a lady."

The girl looked down at herself

"I'm not a lady I am a girl."

Ivan chuckled,

"OK you are a little lady."

He got to his feet and held out a hand, timidly the girl offered her hand and they both walked to the stand. Ivan motioned to Dean that it was Ok and he hunkered down next to a ball,

"Come on, show uncle Ivan what you got."

He said this with a smile, Lisa drew back her foot and kicked, the ball sailed away and she giggled,

"I liked that, but it hurt."

Ivan nodded,

"Very well, do you live here?"

She nodded

"I will bring you a ball that doesn't hurt you, then you can kick when ever you feel like it."

She brightened up,

"Really?"

Ivan nodded and was surprised by a huge hug, since he couldn't do anything else he gave her a hug back. He looked up to find Kat,

"Uhm hello Kat, I take it that you know Lisa?"

Kat saw 4 of her chargers safely handed over to Lisa who was supervising them on the larger of the bouncy castles and laughing as they expounded all their energy as they tore about with the other children, mainly siblings of those who lived here and children from the neighbouring school who had a link with the hospice. She saw little Lisa's attention drawn by the football shoot outs which Ivan was supervising and with a nod of encouragement she allowed the little girl to wander over, keeping a suitable distance behind her to supervise and to be on hand should she be needed.

She smiled as she watched the conversation between Ivan and Lisa and was actually surprised how the child who was usually so timid was willing to speak to such an intimidating looking man. The way he spoke of Lisa and her playing soccer was not missed by Kat either. Kat was amazed when Lisa took Ivan's hand and smiled as he referred to himself as ' Uncle Ivan '. Lisa actually kicked the ball and seemed thrilled at her achievement; a significant milestone for her!
The spontaneous hug too Kat by surprise almost as much as it did Ivan!
Kat moved closer wanting to tell him just what a breakthrough he had made with little Lisa.

"Uhm hello Kat, I take it that you know Lisa?"

Kat smiled fondly at the girl.

"She's one of my children."

She told him. They did not use the term 'patients' here.

"And you have made quite an impression ... "

She affectionately ruffled the child's hair, but couldn't resist adding with a glance across to towards where the supposedly grown up Lisa was playing with the children.

" ... and not only with little Lisa here...."

Between them the little girl was oblivious to the teasing.

Back