The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter friggin' wonderland, as they say in my country. More snow. Power bounced ON and OFF a couple times, then settled on OFF. Batteries for the laptops, DSL, and WiFi won't last forever so I'm shutting down. We're lighting candles and missing the cioppino already. Cya.

I like candles, but not if they're required. :rolleyes:

I'll be wishing for your power to be restored sooner than soon. And that your batteries last longer than...well, longer.

Hurricanes play hell with the power here so I've had experience in survival (electrical) over the years. A small generator to keep the icebox and freezer cold. It also charges up a set of batteries for LED lights at night. It also charges up a portable battery backup to run the laptop, charge cell phones.

Before the storm I fill up my truck and four five gallon cans with gas. I also pickup a full bottle of propane and a gallon extra of Coleman fuel.

A propane gas burner and a Coleman stove are also needed. Got to cook and make coffee somehow. For you cold weather folks, it can heat an area up. An old porcine peculator works great for coffee.

I also keep an old rotary dial phone so I can use the main phone lines.

Living close to the lake has another advantage. A half dozen five gal cans of lake water, keeps the toilet working.

Hope some of this gives people some ideas on electrical survival among other things.

A fresh kettle for the midnight crew and of course, fresh coffee.

Someone else is picking up chinese takeout on the way home. Me, guess what I'm up to all weekend coz that March 20th deadline ... gulp, it's looming and that werewolf skin rug sex scene is just crying out for more detail and shit is happening ... The B1 with the tactical nuke just got returned to base .... I'm having a ball with this one ...

I think the Coffee Shop would survive, Tex, but we'd a been crispy critters... :eek:

I'm glad I'm in the UK. :)
I'm not sure about the quality of the atmosphere, mind. . . .

Fried chicken I like, Crispy Tex, not so much.

That is as close to crispy as I want to get.

Agreed; been there, done that, got the Tee-shirt.

And guess what; it's trying to snow. As if a brisk [cold] wind wasn't enough !

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm in the UK. :)
I'm not sure about the quality of the atmosphere, mind. . . .

Not right now you're not, HP. Right now you're in that deep dark heart of Texas, immaculately dressed in that Saville Row suit and borrowed Kevlar body armor, Holland & Holland loaded and ready and and you're going in. Unknown to you, a B1 is being scrambled to contain the horror.... and the dead are beginning to rise ....

Had an early night. Lots of sleep. Up early. Coffee smells great and the toast is ready,my laptop is powered up and the story calls..... Today's Mission Statement ....

make-stuff-up.jpg

Not right now you're not, HP. Right now you're in that deep dark heart of Texas, immaculately dressed in that Saville Row suit and borrowed Kevlar body armor, Holland & Holland loaded and ready and and you're going in. Unknown to you, a B1 is being scrambled to contain the horror.... and the dead are beginning to rise ....

Had an early night. Lots of sleep. Up early. Coffee smells great and the toast is ready,my laptop is powered up and the story calls.....

Do I stand a chance of getting out alive ?

Do I stand a chance of getting out alive ?

Yes you do. Almost everyone does. Only those who volunteered to die, die. Plus the feds and innocent civilians. Please note that no trolls were actually harmed in the writing of this story... :D

Morning all,

Yeah, I know, I'm running late. All this monster writing stuff going on has the streets blocked. Where do they think this is, Arizona?

Anyway, I had words to catch up on from yesterday's power outage. Now I'm ahead a few thousand. Always a good sign that things are flowing the right way.

Okay, fresh coffee is ready.

I crawled out for pee, pills, and peanut butter around 7:30 AM and called the PG&E outage number. Their prognosis: we're fucked. They can't access repair equipment, don't have a time estimate, etc. I crawled back in. At 9:30 I awoke to the sound of our gas heater's electric blower. Power! Lotsa snow fell but there's only about six inches on the ground and rains later will melt away much of that. We won't be forced to rely on powdered 'creamer' for tomorrow's coffee. Whew.

But when will my taropatch be delivered? [/me checks eBay site] Dunno. I'm giddy with anticipation. Time for more coffee. Real stuff. Real beans. Real water. Real whatever.

Yes you do. Almost everyone does. Only those who volunteered to die, die. Plus the feds and innocent civilians. Please note that no trolls were actually harmed in the writing of this story... :D

No trolls?
Or most trolls ? (as in 'most of them', 'nearly all')

I crawled out for pee, pills, and peanut butter around 7:30 AM and called the PG&E outage number. Their prognosis: we're fucked. They can't access repair equipment, don't have a time estimate, etc. I crawled back in. At 9:30 I awoke to the sound of our gas heater's electric blower. Power! Lotsa snow fell but there's only about six inches on the ground and rains later will melt away much of that. We won't be forced to rely on powdered 'creamer' for tomorrow's coffee. Whew.

But when will my taropatch be delivered? [/me checks eBay site] Dunno. I'm giddy with anticipation. Time for more coffee. Real stuff. Real beans. Real water. Real whatever.

It's been trying to snow round here for most of the day; certainly since 8.30 am.
Have you ever considered stocking "evaporated milk" ? see https://www.carnation.co.uk/Products/4/Evaporated-Milk.
It can sit on a cool shelf and stay for a long time.

I'm watering my oh-so-blond lawn right now. I'll try to give it its first mowing of the year later today.

Have you ever considered stocking "evaporated milk" ?
We've not resorted to tinned milk for quite some time. In Mexico we commonly found shelf-storable whole milk but haven't seen it much in USA, and not around here. Confession: in my sweatily athletic post-adolescence, I consumed way too much canned Sweetened Condensed Milk aka SCUM, eaten like pudding. Bicycling a century every couple days nicely burned off those calories. Coffee was an impetus. More coffee!

My cat is asleep across the room, snoring her happy little butt off. :rolleyes:

Got on a writing jag... I added 3700 words to a story I thought was finished. :eek:

Bushfires today in the State of Victoria look ominous. 25,000 acres burned out yesterday with hot strong winds forecast. We have been lucky during a long, hot, dry summer, but it's likely the luck will run out over the next day or two. No deaths so far but some properties lost. Fingers crossed.

Bushfires today in the State of Victoria look ominous. 25,000 acres burned out yesterday with hot strong winds forecast. We have been lucky during a long, hot, dry summer, but it's likely the luck will run out over the next day or two. No deaths so far but some properties lost. Fingers crossed.

:rose: Best wishes.

Good luck. Mother Nature is not always a lady.

I am looking forward to reading this story. :D

Ohhh, thank you. Been working on it most of today and it's going to be down to the wire, I absolutely know it..... I keep editing and it and adding bits and changing it every time I look at what I've written. Not nearly as much sex as my usual stories and far more action so the reader response is going to be interesting.

So do I. I just hope that the story is told be a Narrator, not in the first person.

:eek: It is in fact first person, and it's a Mary Sue, coz I was writing everyone else here in that agreed to be included and I figured well, if I was doing that and having a lot of fun I better be in there too. On the other hand my beloved has been reading over my shoulder and he loves it. (He's in there too.... what's a male version of a Mary Sue? I took quite a few liberties tho as you will see LOL).

Anyhow, I sure know what I'm doing tomorrow - writing like crazy. It's going to be 70k by Sunday evening and god knows what by Tuesday morning....

Good luck. Saw the after-effects of some of those fires outside Adelaide when we were down there visiting a couple of years ago. Be safe :heart:

Brushfires scare me shitless. We nearly had to evacuate a couple years back. We just last week drove through the charred remains of our old neighborhood, incinerated by brushfires driven into town by manic winds only five months ago. Fires are like tsunamis: run as fast and as far as you can!

What you need is some SNOW. :D
Now, by accident of complete coincidence, I happen to have at my disposal a decent quantity of fresh snow. You're welcome to it - free.
Just bring your own buckets.

And the wind is being unpleasant.
I think I'll stay indoors and have a decent cup of coffee. :)

And a Happy Sinday on top of that.

Fresh coffee for one and all. There are waffles with real home churned butter. Not my home. The lady down the street. She even has a cow.

It sounds like HP needs to open a snow cone stand. ;)

And a Happy Sinday on top of that.

Fresh coffee for one and all. There are waffles with real home churned butter. Not my home. The lady down the street. She even has a cow.

It sounds like HP needs to open a snow cone stand. ;)

Waffles sound divine! Munchkin wanted Minnie Mouse pancake with whipped cream, so pancakes it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back