The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last I saw of our snow, it was headed for Atlanta and up the eastern seaboard. Rots of ruck, you all.

Fresh coffee for the evening crew.

Half of the last book is at the editors. May the gods have mercy on her soul. Tying all this mess up could be a little messy if I'm not careful. I know of two small rewrites I need to do already but she was in a hurry to get at it. Lets see if she agrees with me in the end.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel but I haven't heard a train whistle in a while. so... :D

No snow but freezing, cloudy and grey with wind gusts. Coffee and writing today. Working on my novella and a chapter for lit. And looking forward to Xmas and my Xmas present. Lots and lots of books. And my partner got this thing about boats so I ordered him George Beuhlers "Troller Yacht" book - that should make him happy. I've got to read up on what they are next. His website looks fascinating.

Speaking of boats. This is who I want to be when I grow up.

Building the Total Boat

Pouring in a latte with hopes of editing in a few minutes. It's cold here too but then, it is winter.

True, Mags, and we all know it happens, but it don't make it any less unpleasant.
I think we might rise to 30F sometime. . . .

Speaking of boats. This is who I want to be when I grow up.

Building the Total Boat

How long does that wood 'plankikng' have to dry for ?
~
Time for tea. . . .

How long does that wood 'plankikng' have to dry for ?
~
Time for tea. . . .

Heck, if I know. I know there is sun dried, kiln dried, and open air dried. They have different water content numbers. I think the planking he is using has more to do with the direction it is sawed in reference to the grain. That and the thickness.

One cuppa tea coming up.

Heck, if I know. I know there is sun dried, kiln dried, and open air dried. They have different water content numbers. I think the planking he is using has more to do with the direction it is sawed in reference to the grain. That and the thickness.

One cuppa tea coming up.

Bless you, Sir.
When the shipbuilders of Nelson's Navy built a ship, the wood they used had to be stacked in the open for a year or two after cutting otherwise they could not - would not - use it..

We got more bloody snow.
I fear a strongly worded Note to the weather gods is indicated; possibly withdrawal of the Ambassador 'for consultations'. I suspect a Firing Squad should be lined up for the Met people.
Just in case, you understand.

Meanwhile, more COFFEE

Up far too early and having fun getting some very early morning writing in along with coffee and croissants. I dashed out in the wee hours and picked up fresh croissants and right now I'm doing the ham wrap thing and crisping them to go with the coffee. Smells divine! I may even save a few for the one that's still fast asleep and unaware of all that is going on a couple of rooms away. LOL.

If he's lucky!

063e04c41a4e403179afb178ca8a2183--making-coffee-coffee-break.jpg

We got more bloody snow.
I fear a strongly worded Note to the weather gods is indicated; possibly withdrawal of the Ambassador 'for consultations'. I suspect a Firing Squad should be lined up for the Met people.
Just in case, you understand.

Meanwhile, more COFFEE

Yikes! HP, maybe you just need someone to snuggle up with while it snows. :kiss:

Up far too early and having fun getting some very early morning writing in along with coffee and croissants. I dashed out in the wee hours and picked up fresh croissants and right now I'm doing the ham wrap thing and crisping them to go with the coffee. Smells divine! I may even save a few for the one that's still fast asleep and unaware of all that is going on a couple of rooms away. LOL.

If he's lucky!

Sounds divine.

Coffee and off to work for me! Short day, a little Christmas shopping on the way there and a little writing/editing after. :rose:

Morning all,

It was 28 here this morning sow we slept in. Well, it started out as sleep and ended with three in a hot shower. Bacon and biscuits for a late breakfast and now...Housemate and Houseguest are snuggled up in the living room watching a movie and I'm doing a little writing.

HP, Have a watch at the rest of the videos. This guy does things with a skill saw that I would have never thought possible. No plans, no drawing and then there is a boat with a minimum of tools. Great skill on his part.

Fresh coffee all around.

Have you considered a large - MODEL - boat ?
Just ot get the hang of it so to speak. :)

Oh, the only thing I'll be doing is making sure the beer is cold and saying helpful things like "oh, that doesn't look right" and "I think you crushed that thumb" and "would you like me to sew that back on" and "I'd rather have pink for the hull, not that horrible grey...." That and decorating the deck in my itsy bitsy bikini once it's proved it's not going to sink. Besides, he says he wants steel, not wood.

Dreams, dreams but if he wants to give it a try..... I'd love to do it.

Steel rusts, wood rots. What's the difference? ;)

From the website, steel seems to resist rocks and crashing boats s lot better. I speak not from experience. I've been reading this Beuhler guys website with fascination. Basically he designs really robust small power boats (Diesel Ducks) capable of making trans-oceanic voyages and surviving extreme weather conditions and doing it economically. The other website I found was www.setsail.com and the Dashew FPB's - they're aluminum and waaaay more high tech and expensive

From the website, steel seems to resist rocks and crashing boats s lot better. I speak not from experience. I've been reading this Beuhler guys website with fascination. Basically he designs really robust small power boats (Diesel Ducks) capable of making trans-oceanic voyages and surviving extreme weather conditions and doing it economically. The other website I found was www.setsail.com and the Dashew FPB's - they're aluminum and waaaay more high tech and expensive

Round here one can buy a narrowboat hull of your desired length and then fit it out yourself.( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqEQIjYyeA )
These are the more traditional thing for our local canal system.

Time for tea, I think.

We bought a used Coleman fibreglas canoe cheap from a guy living just below the Guerneville (Goonieville) bridge on the Russian River north of San Francisco. The river is popular with canoeists. Canoes run loose and drift downstream; most end up beached at this guy's riverfront property. Those with ID are returned. Those without are sold, cheap. Easy-peasy.

PS: Y'all should check out Goonieville and its suburb Dogtown. The place regularly floods. It hosts a Gay Rodeo and Dykes on Bikes runs. Bigfoots have been spotted scrounging in the Safeway grocery trash bins. Vast redwood forests engulf the area. The Korbel winery and brandy distillery is just upstream. Downstream is Bohemian Grove, where the rich and powerful dance naked in pagan rituals and plot world takeovers.

The river is nice there, too.

Round here one can buy a narrowboat hull of your desired length and then fit it out yourself.( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqEQIjYyeA )
These are the more traditional thing for our local canal system.

Time for tea, I think.

Narrowboats are perfect for canals. I spent some time on one in Holland way back when. Kind of like a trailer that floats. but you don't have to tow it. Unless the motor breaks down, that is. ;)

Fresh coffee for all the thirsty, low caffeine people.

Narrowboats are perfect for canals. I spent some time on one in Holland way back when. Kind of like a trailer that floats. but you don't have to tow it. Unless the motor breaks down, that is. ;)

Fresh coffee for all the thirsty, low caffeine people.

Drinking that coffee now.

Narrowboats? I've been on one for a couple of weeks ten years ago. Dad took us over and we did a circle from Stourport down the Severn to Twekesbury and then up the Avon, thru Birmingham and down to Worcester, then back up and back to Stourport. I steered us into an old bridge at full speed, rammed another canal boat in the side going past a weir into a lock and took a chunk of concrete of a mooring. The steel canal boat was undamaged. Unlike my Dad's nerves. The people in the canal boat I hit were a bit upset but my Dad kindly told them it was their fault for parking opposite a weir. The bridge? One of those arched ones and I panicked and hit the central thingie. The dust really flew. So did my Dads language. I was shocked I tell you! Shocked! So was the guy fishing of the bridge. Oh and then there was steering us thru a tunnel by bouncing of the sides. It seemed reasonable to me. I mean that's what they're for, right? My dad disagreed. He insisted on taking over and I was banned from drinking and steering. I had a bad case of the giggles by then.

I don't know what's goin' on, but I been watchin' slow-movin' lights in the night sky for an hour now. They always come in pairs and they flicker. I figger that the aliens have a code or sumptin.'

Actually, they're large, military, airlift helicopters. Their lights flicker because of the tree branches between us. I don't know why they're here--they've never been stationed here--but they've been moving around all day.

If I trusted our government then I probably wouldn't care.

Narrowboats? I've been on one for a couple of weeks ten years ago. Dad took us over and we did a circle from Stourport down the Severn to Twekesbury and then up the Avon, thru Birmingham and down to Worcester, then back up and back to Stourport. I steered us into an old bridge at full speed, rammed another canal boat in the side going past a weir into a lock and took a chunk of concrete of a mooring. The steel canal boat was undamaged. Unlike my Dad's nerves. The people in the canal boat I hit were a bit upset but my Dad kindly told them it was their fault for parking opposite a weir. The bridge? One of those arched ones and I panicked and hit the central thingie. The dust really flew. So did my Dads language. I was shocked I tell you! Shocked! So was the guy fishing of the bridge. Oh and then there was steering us thru a tunnel by bouncing of the sides. It seemed reasonable to me. I mean that's what they're for, right? My dad disagreed. He insisted on taking over and I was banned from drinking and steering. I had a bad case of the giggles by then.

Uh, yeah. Definitely a steel boat for your SO. :D

Narrowboats? I've been on one for a couple of weeks ten years ago. Dad took us over and we did a circle from Stourport down the Severn to Twekesbury and then up the Avon, thru Birmingham and down to Worcester, then back up and back to Stourport. I steered us into an old bridge at full speed, rammed another canal boat in the side going past a weir into a lock and took a chunk of concrete of a mooring.
I had a bad case of the giggles by then.

Many of the locks on our local canals have a pub adjacently sited, It was often the location of the local lock-keeper back in the day.
So one of our local one (with Good Beer) is a brilliant place to watch Captain Birdseye and his merry crew of uncaring idiots cause havoc & chaos on the cut.
Them or Mrs "I didn't want to come this way" as she forgets to ease the throttle when coming in to dock (he had to leap out and do some serious heaving before the bang as the plastic boat hit the concrete.

I really must get there next summer with my camera.

Meanwhile hot coffee is in desperate order. It's been lightly snowing this poast 6 hours.

One boat builder on the Norfolk Broads in the UK made ferro-concrete hulls for their hire cruisers. I think they were intended for us by those navigating the Broads for the first time handling any craft at all.

They are sturdy and have survived years of misuse.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Style_Details&style=Magc

People do look at you funny when you talk about concrete ships. :D

They were produced and used on both coasts of the USA during WWII. There was a company that made sailboats from a fiberglass reinforced cement. I can't remember the name of the company but they may still be in business.

Okay, welcome to Sinday morning.

We all made it another week, more or less in some cases. Fresh coffee all around and few extra cups for HP's boots in case he has to go outside. ;)

I think waffles are just the thing this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back