Sword Art Online (OOC)

Um... Kirito doesn't kill players unless they attack him first. Supposedly in Gun Gale Online, the Murder Guild from SAO comes after him for him standing against them in Aincrad.
And they never make it past Floor 75 -- the final battle happens there prematurely. However, later on Kirito imports Aincrad into Alfheim Online and him, Asuna, his sister, and the friends he gathered from the two games all join together to try and clear all 100 floors. The first series ends as they all fly off to Aincrad.

Is that the bandits on the bridge? The ones he could easily have let walk away because they quite literally could not hurt him?

I don't recall Kirito killing those bandits at all, I remember him specifically ignoring them while they beat on him and then forcing the red-head leader to take the portal stone to jail.

But anyway, let's not argue about that and instead focus more on the thread at hand. Kirito doesn't matter in this thread regardless of how badass he is.

Shall we come up with a starter and a couple characters so we can get the IC rolling? I'm really excited to be writing this.

Like I said, it's been a while. Besides that was what made me love Kirito so much. That and the way he got back to the real world and was all "I'm a bad ass! SHIT GRAVITY SUCKS!!!"

I stand corrected. Since I watched them at the same time SOA and Sword Art Online Abridged occupy the same spot in my mind making me remember whichever is more awesome.

Since I watched them at the same time SOA and Sword Art Online Abridged occupy the same spot in my mind making me remember whichever is more awesome.

Is Sword Art Online Abridged a good Abridged series (with tons of meta-commentary about the plot points of the story and the archetypical characters in it), or a bad one (with tons of bad jokes about drugs, homosexuality, poop and other stuff like that) ?

Yeah, I remember Kirito lecturing the bandits about carelessly murdering people and then taunting them as they attacked him in vain -- his HP Regen was higher than their attacks, effectively making him immortal to them. I think he was like Level 78 or 79 at this point.

And I was going to make a profile yesterday, but I got caught up installing naughty mods for Dragon Age: Origins and then it was bed time, lol.

And as for MMOs, some of my favorites of the ones I tried are Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, Neverwinter, TERA, DC Universe Online, and Final Fantasy XIV. So far, none of these have everything I want in an MMO: I want fast-paced mouse-driven action combat, a really in-depth character creation system, beautiful, vibrant visuals, a decent housing system, a branching, epic storyline will fully-voiced cutscenes and quest descriptions, NPC/companian romance options, and a somewhat magical/fantasy setting. If FFXIV was fully voiced and had combat like Neverwinter and more options during character creation, it would come pretty close.

Okay, so I'm trying to think up character ideas, but I wanted to ask what type of images we should use. Should we go for anime pics, real actors, or what?

Is Sword Art Online Abridged a good Abridged series (with tons of meta-commentary about the plot points of the story and the archetypical characters in it), or a bad one (with tons of bad jokes about drugs, homosexuality, poop and other stuff like that) ?

It's only like four episodes long unless I missed an episode but I think it's amongst the best, right up there with DBZA and Helsing Abridged. Kirito is a bit crazy and they really lean hard on things like how he didn't step up sooner in that first boss battle and a few other things.

I already know my character. I don't remember the mechanical rules for SAO. Cus I only bother learning the mechanics when a show makes it clear it's important. Like Death Note. I can tell you exactly how a Death Note does and doesn't function and my only question is if Batman is immune to the Death Note or not. Other than that I can cess it all out. I'm actually pretty good on Naruto laws too. But SAO. . .yeah. I remember dual wielding being a big deal and I really want to dual wield.

Anime pics, actors, doesn't really matter so much. Whichever you feel like is fine by me. I also have the basis for my character(s) down, will write a bit more when I see the format you decide to use.

As for the mechanics, it's all about player skill and level, really. There is no magic, per say, it's all about the sword skills and abilities. There are status effects like poison and paralysis and all that, but not much else as far as I know. Players can taste food and drink just like normal, but getting the flavors right to match the real-world flavors when cooking is difficult from what I've gathered, considering Asuna is the only one to have managed it before.

Also, there are health potions and stones to cure poison and paralysis as well as teleportation stones. Players can craft and do just about any profession that the real world has, and some players can tame beasts.

And as for the dual-wielding thing...yeah, that was a unique skill that only one person in the entire game was given: Kirito. Though it's funny because during that bandit scene we've been talking about there's a bandit dual-wielding axes that they seem to gloss over alot. It was probably a mistake when they made the scene because it wasn't in the manga like that.

Sounds good, I just want to dual wield, other than that I don't give a shit but I remember that being a bit of a big deal and possibly the sort of thing that would get voted down.

Like I said, dual-wielding in the anime is a unique skill that only Kirito had in all of SAO because he was the strongest player in the game.

So, yes, you could say that it's a bit of a big deal.

But since this is our world and we make the rules, we can all choose to change whatever we want :). I don't mind making dual wielding a common ability. In fact, we could make up classes and each of us play one. In TERA, Warriors dual wield swords where as Slayers use a big-ass two-handed sword. Since the name is "Sword Art Online," every class should have swords as their main weapons, but they could also have secondary weapons such as axes, staves, bows, daggers, etc. I also vote we include magic in our version.

Hmmm.. Here's my idea for the classes:

Sentinel: Two long, thin swords and boosts to agility and attack speed.
Berserker: One giant, two-handed sword and boosts to strength and rage powers.
Guardian: A standard sword and shield, heavy armor, and boosts to defense and vitality.
Paladin: One long, thin sword and a free hand to cast healing spells.
Battlemage: One long, thin sword and a free hand to cast elemental spells.
Shadowblade: One short sword and throwing daggers, focus on stealth and bleeding damage .

What do you guys think?

I don't know about specifying classes, exactly, but making dual-wielding standard and magic sounds cool. I kinda liked how mundane the world was, no magic and all, but if you guys think it sounds good them I'm up for it. As Kirito said: One sword in this world can take you anywhere you want to go.

Have any thoughts on a character template you'd like us to follow? Format more than template, I should say. You know:

Name:
Etc, etc...

Once you drop one of those I'll get my character(s) up here.

I'll write up a template when I get home from work. I was gonna do it yesterday, but I usually hunt for images before I write anything about a character, so I was waiting to see if we wanted to do actors or anime.

And if you want, instead of having classes, we could just have all the sword types and whichever one you equip gives you boosts and all that jazz. And we could use a system similar to Materia from FFVII for giving items and weapons magic capabilities.

Just to stay in the anime spirit of SAO, let's use anime images instead of actors. Seems only fitting. And I'm not familiar at all with FFVII, never played it. I like the various swords giving different boosts much more than the class idea, we could definitely go with that.

Sounds like a plan, especially if we can use something we "call" a sword but may not technically fit the bill.

I'll probably rename him but Sora sounds like he was damn near custom made to be a Sentinel. Though I think that's a bad name. Sentinels are generally large ponderous.

Sorafull.jpg

I got the idea from SWTOR. I have a Level 22 or 23 Jedi Sentinel who wields dual lightsabers. My favorites strategy was to inch just close enough to a mob to be in target range, Force Jump to the nearest enemy and follow that that a Force Sweep to knock them all down and stun them for a second. Then I unleash a barage of lightsaber attacks and they are all dead before they know what hit them :).

And material is basically magic orbs, refined Mako. In regards to item and weapons, they are basically enchantments. If you put a couple of Lightning orbs into the material slots on a sword, the attack will include Lightning damage.

For the rp, we could just have NPCs who enchant your gear or sell stuff that is already enchanted, like rings and amulets. And we can say any player can equip any item, no classes, but they have to level up with each type of weapon and armor separately. Like One-Handed, Two-Handed, Light Armor, Heavy Armor, Archery, etc. Kind of like Skyrim. Since the game feels like real life, we could just say weapons and armor you are not used to will feel unnaturally heavy at first, and they grow progressively lighter as your skill advances. This prevents a player who's a ninja in real life from busting out sick moves at Level 1, lol. And maybe there are physical restrictions preventing you from doing any moves you haven't actually learned in-game -- someone who knows parkour and a dozen martial arts in real life will find that their speed and reflexes feel much more sluggish ingame until they reach a higher level.

I think that's fine. Unless someone is going volunteer to be a smith. Though I'd love to take that on as a secondary character.

Nothing says that one of our characters can't learn to craft. And if they don't, I'm sure we can make an NPC for it no problemo.

Also, the pictures that I'm using may or may not be slightly NSFW. It happens.

We can include Smithing as a skill, as well as cooking and alchemy and all that jazz. I just got home from work, so after I've had a change to eat some breakfast and get comfy, I'll get to work on my character.

Gah. Spent a lot of time working out the details of which stats to use for my character and all that and it isn't done yet, so I'll have to finish it tomorrow because I need to get to sleep -- work again tonight.

Our characters are just now getting into the game, I don't think you should spend much time on stats and all that. Leave some room for development in the actual story instead of deciding everything here, you know? That and we would all have identical skills and stats because we're level one characters, lol.

Just get something down so that we can say who our characters are and then we can go from there.

Back