Story takedown/repost practical help and recommendation request

Chris6160

Virgin
So I've got a story series I wrote a while back in the Non-consent category. It's a shift from the stuff I usually write and I think it put a lot of my readers off and/or didn't jive with the people into NC because I got a lot of pushback in the second entry and it discouraged me.

Anyway, the story wouldn't get out of my head so I finished it. The whole thing comes in at about 65,000 words.

I've got the first two chapters sitting out there and no one's been clamoring for me to write more in the comments but I know how much unfinished stories on this site bug me as a reader so I was thinking of posting the rest of it. My question is how. I figure I've got three options:
  1. Submit each chapter separately as I had been doing, just at a faster pace
  2. Submit the part of the story that hasn't been published yet as a huge dump.
  3. Get the first two chapters removed and then submit the whole novella (I think it's at that length) as a huge file.
I kind of want to go with number 3 because I'd like to include a pre-story note to warn readers that the story is very different from the stuff I usually write and has problematic content (because apparently when you submit a story in the "NC" category some people don't think you're serious about what's going to happen). I'm not sure what the best option would be.

Suggestions are appreciated.

I'm going to put my cut/paste for editing questions here, because there's a chance someone with a slightly different question might benefit from the other information there.

Here's the editing method for Lit.

• Take note of the url of your story/chapter. That's the address appearing in the address bar of your browser when you view the first page of your story. You really only need the last part after the /s/ that represents your title.
  • Start a new submission.
  • Use the same title as the original ( or as much as will fit ) plus something such as *EDIT*
  • Fill in the same category, then fill description and keywords with placeholders, as they don't matter. ( Unless one of these things are what you're editing )
  • If editing the story text, paste/upload the new text in the "story text" section. You need to upload the whole story/chapter, not just the edited sections. If editing anything else, copy the "notes" section detailed below in order to fill this section.
  • In the "notes" section, say what you are editing. If story text, then put that. If title, then put the requested NEW title here. You can fill in edited descriptions/keywords/category above, but you'll still want to list any such changes here. It's a good idea to list the url that I mentioned in step 1. This is unique to every story/chapter, and can help eliminate the potential for human error. As mentioned above, if you are editing something other than the story text, copy what you put in the notes section to the "story text" as well. This is because there must be something in that section for you to submit.
  • Click "Review", then "Submit"

Edits have a lower priority than new stories, and may take longer to process.

Edits will not appear on the public side immediately. Wait at least 24 hours after the "edited" submission vanishes from your private author list or from the "pending" folder before worrying that your changes haven't been applied. Changes may not all appear at the same time, either. Page 1 may change, while page 2 will remain the same until an hour or so later. Be patient as the system catches up.

If you edit the story in this manner ( as opposed to deleting and re-submitting ) you'll retain your votes, views, comments, etc. The only thing that will be changed is what you say that you want changed. It will not appear on the New List again.

If you wish to delete a story, use much the same method, except put something such as *DELETE* in the title, and say that you want to delete the story in question in the "notes" section.

If you wish to delete all of your stories, an entire series, etc., then use the normal delete process, but explain in the "notes" section that you want to do a mass delete, and what type.

Convoluted, but it does work. It gets a little easier as you get used to it.

============

As to your specific question, if eliminating the original two chapters and replacing them with a single submission is the way you want to go, then go with the delete process above, listing the two chapters you want removed. Wait until they've been removed before proceeding, because new submissions take precedence over any type of editing, and that is likely to result in the new version being live while the old version is still there. It could also result in a rejection for duplicate work.

In addition to whatever notes you want to add, I would suggest stating that you had previously posted the story, and that this is an edit which completes the story. There are people who complain about reposts, and people could even report you as having plagiarized your own work because they remember reading the story, but not who wrote it.

So I've got a story series I wrote a while back in the Non-consent category. It's a shift from the stuff I usually write and I think it put a lot of my readers off and/or didn't jive with the people into NC because I got a lot of pushback in the second entry and it discouraged me.

Anyway, the story wouldn't get out of my head so I finished it. The whole thing comes in at about 65,000 words.

I've got the first two chapters sitting out there and no one's been clamoring for me to write more in the comments but I know how much unfinished stories on this site bug me as a reader so I was thinking of posting the rest of it. My question is how. I figure I've got three options:
  1. Submit each chapter separately as I had been doing, just at a faster pace
  2. Submit the part of the story that hasn't been published yet as a huge dump.
  3. Get the first two chapters removed and then submit the whole novella (I think it's at that length) as a huge file.
I kind of want to go with number 3 because I'd like to include a pre-story note to warn readers that the story is very different from the stuff I usually write and has problematic content (because apparently when you submit a story in the "NC" category some people don't think you're serious about what's going to happen). I'm not sure what the best option would be.

Suggestions are appreciated.
I posted five chapters of a series over a year ago, before I asked an editor for feedback. The editor pointed out major issues with my story and gaps or insufficient scenes. So, I re-wrote those chapters and prepared three "prequel" chapters to better build the characters.

When posted the new series, I had to spell it out in the "Notes to Admins" that I wanted to replace "Getting Started Ch 01..." with this new "Lifestyle Ch 04...." chapter, and please remove the "Getting Started Ch 01...".

If you don't tell them what to do with the old chapter, they won't do anything until you make it clear to them. But the titles don't need to be the same or even close. Just spell out which of YOUR stories you want removed.

In posting my new series, I've found after the first chapter, the views go down. Most readers apparently don't follow series. So it would probably be better to consolidate the chapters as much as practical (not too long, ie. maybe about 18K words max), and choose catchy titles and descriptive lines to attract the readers to view it. Each separately published chapter is almost a standalone story, which must attract it's own readers.

What was the push back? Did they not think it was 'rough enough' for the category, or did it cross the line into 'real rape?' NC is like incest, its an extreme category and a don't try this at home one, but the readers have an odd sense of flawed morality and attack anything that goes too far.

Do you have 'incompatible fetish crossover'?

As in a couple of very different kinks who's readers might not be into the mix.

Last night I was looking at CMNF (clothed male nude female) stories and landed on a "lesbian naked island" story because ok... that works. Close enough. But then the author had a half dozen chapters of the main character having a relationship with a into anal anal and yellow showers that the POV character did not care for but did out of routine... and then we end up in a whole section with folks 'near to lesbian island' that keep women as consensual NC slaves for anal sex (some weird tangent about how they get kidnapped but like it) - and that is why the story showed up in a CMNF search.

All of that "made sense" to the story and how it was tagged. But it threw me out of my enjoyment because those are things I am seriously NOT into...

Incompatible fetish crossover for me: mixing 'nudism' and 'lesbian erotica' with 'anal' and 'women are slaves'. I looked at the tags and realized the author had tagged it right, so I didn't down vote it. But others might just say "WTF is this?" It shouldn't be a surprise that most 'lesbian readers' are NOT going to like a story with 'women want to be enslaved for anal sex by men'... So it didn't have the best scores despite good plot and solid characterization.

If you mix fetishes that don't tend to get mixed often, you can alienate people who like one or the other fetish but don't like both. Peanut Butter and Chocolate might mix very well, but Chocolate and Engine Oil probably don't...

What was the push back? Did they not think it was 'rough enough' for the category, or did it cross the line into 'real rape?' NC is like incest, its an extreme category and a don't try this at home one, but the readers have an odd sense of flawed morality and attack anything that goes too far.
The first chapter had one person that complained the story had violence that they apparently hate (IMO there wasn't any extreme violence, certainly not more than I think is common for NC or even BDSM entries), and another person who supposedly downvoted because they didn't like that the plot resulted in NC sex rather than one party simply ending the relationship (very loose summary: a person the MC thought she would be trapping as an oblivious cuckold sugar daddy instead traps the MC in sex slavery).

Do you have 'incompatible fetish crossover'?

As in a couple of very different kinks who's readers might not be into the mix.
This might be part of it for the second chapter. Apparently there was a plot inconsistency that rubbed people the wrong way (in short, person holding the MC as a sex slave demands his house staff treat her with respect, but then also offers her for free use one day of the week). That part of the story I could probably adjust without a serious rewrite.

The first chapter had one person that complained the story had violence that they apparently hate (IMO there wasn't any extreme violence, certainly not more than I think is common for NC or even BDSM entries), and another person who supposedly downvoted because they didn't like that the plot resulted in NC sex rather than one party simply ending the relationship (very loose summary: a person the MC thought she would be trapping as an oblivious cuckold sugar daddy instead traps the MC in sex slavery).
Sounds like it would work as a BTB story in Loving wives, that is if you can stomach the cesspool that category has become.

Sounds like it would work as a BTB story in Loving wives, that is if you can stomach the cesspool that category has become.
I'm going to keep it in NC; nearly every sex scene in the story has at least one person that isn't 100% on board with what's going on. Might put a "Loving Wives" tag in the key words though, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to keep it in NC; nearly every sex scene in the story has at least one person that isn't 100% on board with what's going on. Might put a "Loving Wives" tag in the key words though, thanks for the suggestion.
You can't please everyone. And sometimes the story line needs to push their boundaries.

I intended to do that with my latest story, which I posted to "Romance". But I described it with the title "Demons Past" and as "the wife returning to her hometown and encountering an abusive ex-lover." The "abusive" should reasonably alert the reader that some descriptions might not be within their comfort level.

This might be part of it for the second chapter. Apparently there was a plot inconsistency that rubbed people the wrong way (in short, person holding the MC as a sex slave demands his house staff treat her with respect, but then also offers her for free use one day of the week). That part of the story I could probably adjust without a serious rewrite.
If I may weigh in: you're not obligated to tell your readers that it's different from your usual material. Yet, I've been insecure myself and did just that at least once!

As for what your readers are complaining about: you're also not obligated to change anything just because of what they say. And yes, I've violated that rule of thumb at least once too. It turned out that, after a number of months, I decided that a certain person was correct after all. I replaced a story that a version that was as he said it should be.

Back