Story ideas that make me, the writer, uncomfortable...

badkitty21

Virgin
I have an idea for a story that I desperately want to write and share, but it includes lots of themes honestly that make me uncomfortable...

Has anyone ever written a story and shared it that made them uncomfortable personally but you also knew others might enjoy?

I truly don't even understand how I can come up with a story that makes me uncomfortable but also under the right circumstances, (i.e. not the circumstances in my story idea) would normally turn me on.

Themes that would be included that also make me uncomfortable are step-incest, religion (Catholicism), and coercion (eventually the priest gets involved). Should I just try to write it anyway and try to ignore the aspects that make me uncomfortable, or should I just shut it all down and keep it to myself... What would you do?

I write some erotica, none of which make me uncomfortable. I suppose I could, but for me, I get aroused and almost euphoric when I write fantasy stories that come from the minds of others, as well as myself.

There's subjects that do make me uncomfortable, definitely. I can't see myself writing about them.

Do you write for yourself, or others benefits?

I write some erotica, none of which make me uncomfortable. I suppose I could, but for me, I get aroused and almost euphoric when I write fantasy stories that come from the minds of others, as well as myself.

There's subjects that do make me uncomfortable, definitely. I can't see myself writing about them.

Do you write for yourself, or others benefits?
Both. I enjoy my own stories but also enjoy the idea of others’ getting off on my stories. It adds another element of people liking my stories that I appreciate having.

I have written several that made me uncomfortable, but I thought it was an interesting thing to explore. For me, it was mostly a good experience to write them and ultimately only one of the “uncomfortable” stories didn’t get a high rating. So apparently others liked the result.

The other side is, since I did my exploring there, I doubt I would go back and write more in those themes.

Just my experience. 🥰🥰

Love at First Sight - written from the perspective of a voyeur who's obsessed with their neighbour, to the point of imagining they're in a relationship together.

From the comments, the general consensus is "disturbing as fuck". It was definitely a strange experience writing it.

Hello,

I have.
In my stories titled What It's really like and the story Aunt Sherry Takes it I found scenes very difficult to write. Part of the difficulty in writing these stories was the subject matter itself. The What It's really like stories the intention isn't about just "getting off". I found it disturbing when I found myself aroused writing one of them. There is no way I'd want what I described to happen to anyone, because it was sexual in nature, I found myself aroused.

The story Aunt Sherry Takes It was both disturbing and arousing for me. I wish I could say I wasn't aroused but it was. Would I want an Aunt to take advantage of a Nephew as I described in the story? Of course not. I'm defiantly making a point with this story. This didn't mean I wasn't aroused when I wrote the story. At the same time, if I didn't write it the way I did, the point I was making wouldn't have been made.

The truth of sex. it isn't always "positive" and it isn't always "uplifting." I strongly believe it's okay to write about these type of experiences as well. Because it's about sex, even when we don't want it to be arousing, it sometimes is. The difference between a stable person and an unstable person is an unstable person will act on an inappropriate theme and a stable person won't act on a theme. A stable person might even be disturbed about the very idea they are expressing.

A simple example. It's like when a person has a fantasy but would never complete it in real life. Or, when a person knows within themselves if they were presented with the opportunity to fulfill the fantasy they would be likely to not go through with it.

I hope this helps.

FiveInch033

Last edited:
Yes. My noncon story was uncomfortable. I knew I was writing on the line between actual rape and rape fantasy, since I used fear to create the tension. It's been well received though, so I must have done something right.

I read a lot of cheating and incest stories. I even imagined some scenarios. But when I was about to write them, I felt uncomfortable. So I tweaked them to work in more healthly relationship.

I think it all depends on how much you can, or want to, detach yourself from the story. Whilst I don't think I've ever had a main character in my stories do anything I wouldn't do (although many times doing things I wished I had done:giggle:) I have edited stories for others, the subjects and characters of which I find objectionable.
Sometimes, with the author's consent, I've re-written whole scenes, often having the characters behave far worse than the author had imagined themselves.
I felt detached, it wasn't mine. It was almost a writing exercise in seeing how vile I could be and how uncomfortable I could make readers. It was enjoyable.
In answer to your last question, I think you should write, stop second guessing yourself and just get the words down. Read it afterwards and see how you feel about it then.
Best of luck with it.

I have an idea for a story that I desperately want to write and share, but it includes lots of themes honestly that make me uncomfortable...

Has anyone ever written a story and shared it that made them uncomfortable personally but you also knew others might enjoy?

I truly don't even understand how I can come up with a story that makes me uncomfortable but also under the right circumstances, (i.e. not the circumstances in my story idea) would normally turn me on.

Themes that would be included that also make me uncomfortable are step-incest, religion (Catholicism), and coercion (eventually the priest gets involved). Should I just try to write it anyway and try to ignore the aspects that make me uncomfortable, or should I just shut it all down and keep it to myself... What would you do?
Your thinking feels a little binary whereas fiction is full on kaleidoscope.

It's important to stretch but only to the point you are challenging yourself, not a slave to an arduous feeling task. Creativity is like exercise, you can overdo it and hurt yourself in the process.

There are plenty of incredibly popular themes and fetishes here I can't write. Not even because of the squick factor but b/c if your creative heart isn't in it, it'll be garbage and won't give you the catharsis you need from it equal to the time you've invested in it.

Step aside from the "people might like it" for a minute. What is drawing YOU to it? If you can't mentally draw that from yourself, you should write your thoughts through (not in service of story but self-exploration) and see if that's the way your mind will unlock its secrets to you.

Every writer here has scribbles that go nowhere. They just don't mesh with us so we edit them out. You can edit (from publication) an entire story that was solely created for your benefit, self-exploration, or mental health.

Serve you first even to the exclusion of others. You're all you've got and the basis of all your creativities.

I'll second that.

Honestly, I find the OP's "predicament" more than a touch counter-intuitive. If he/she "desperately wants to write it", he/she needs to explain whether this alleged "discomfort" with some of the themes can possibly amount to any kind of obstacle to doing so.

It's a matter of coming to a decision, end of. A personal thing which all the suggestions in the world from others can't aid.

I have written about sexual acts and situations that would give me the screaming heebie-jeebies in real life. But writing about them doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing fiction from reality. Probably why I love scary horror movies, too, but rarely get scared by them.

You know that non-consent is tricky on this site when it comes to being approved. There have been a lot of discussions about it on the boards here. Basically, it has to end up being consensual in the end, which is sort of a cop out perhaps but that is what the moderator wants.

There is plenty of incest on this site, both with blood relatives and step-relatives. Religion (priests, specifically) usually gets a pass here but that can be inconsistently enforced.

I'm on two other site where I put stories that might make me uncomfortable on Lit. Actually, two of them allow lower age limits which would never fly on Lit, but they are good for coming-of-age stories. Sometimes I put stories on them that may have religious themes (misbehaving priests and sometimes nuns) plus certain BDSM practices that are actually pretty mild if suppose. I have different user names on those which insulates me from Lit.

The rule of thumb I think is generally, if you don't enjoy writing it, people won't enjoy reading it.

Most of my story ideas are of things I'd never do in real life (cheating/incest) so in regard I guess they make me "uncomfortable", but through the lens of fantasy in erotica, it doesn't really bother me too much. I know these aren't real people, I know this isn't actually happening.

That said, there are definitely things that repulse me rather than just make me uncomfortable as kinks such as sissification, hardcore BDSM and watersports (no hate if those are your kinks though). I would never feel comfortable writing stories about those, no matter how popular they might be.

Myself, I think there is a difference between a writer who is writing something they are uncomfortable with, and writing something as a challenge. I think the true difference is the mindset they have when writing it.

If a writer is writing something uncomfortable because they have an idea for a story, I think they will slog through it without much interest. I am not sure that is a great reason to write because writers often forget, not all story ideas are good. But if they are writing to challenge themselves to grow, to get out of the same-story-rut, or try a new character perspective, then dabbling in the unknown can be powerful.

Overall, I just try and follow a story idea to where it leads me. Some end up sitting in my "Unfinished Story" file... for years. Others? Well I once wrote a novel outside of my typical genre that for a mainstream novel was rather vile considering. Yet a retired teacher book club gave it really high reviews!

I'll second that.

Honestly, I find the OP's "predicament" more than a touch counter-intuitive. If he/she "desperately wants to write it", he/she needs to explain whether this alleged "discomfort" with some of the themes can possibly amount to any kind of obstacle to doing so.

It's a matter of coming to a decision, end of. A personal thing which all the suggestions in the world from others can't aid.
Yes, it's pretty simple really. Ok, the OP is conflicted but I'm not sure what they want here. Sympathy?

I'd say just try and write it anyway. Once it's written you can decide if you want to publish it to a wider audience, or it becomes one of those stories you write, but don't publish.

Sometimes the most powerful stories are the stories that make us uncomfortable. Those are the ones we should be writing.

I know just what you mean, @badkitty21, I've felt exactly the same. Reading stories on a certain theme is one thing, writing them something quite different. It becomes a lot more intense.

For me, I think it comes down to two things: First, as a writer you have to imagine the world, the characters and the events as vividly and intensely as possible, and for a much longer time than a reader needs to (including things that might not make it onto the page). It can end up feeling a lot more real than something you just read. Things that might give readers a pleasant shiver of danger or taboo because it's just fiction can become unpleasantly overwhelming.

And second, you are responsible for it. If something feels like it might be going too far, you can't hide behind the idea that you're just consuming someone else's story.

I'll give three examples:

In one case, I started liking the female main character so much that I didn't feel comfortable reducing her to masturbation fodder. (And no matter what else it might be, that's what erotica ultimately comes down to.) I abandoned the story.

In another case, I had an idea for a story where a father decides to punish his daughter's (female) bully, they end up in a sexual relationship, and eventually the daughter gets dragged into it as well. I've enjoyed stories with similar scenarios (Under Mr. Nolan's Bed by Selena Kitt was one inspiration), but when I actually got down to writing it, I was intensely uncomfortable with the way it felt like grooming and abuse (which of course it would be if it was real). Maybe it's a matter of finding the right tone—I've considered whether it would help to change from the dad's perspective to the daughter's—but for now it's shelved.

Finally, another idea I had was for a story where a brother and sister meet up at a family funeral and end up having sex. But as I started writing it, I couldn't make that feel believable. Sure, there are plenty of sibling incest stories on the site that are just as far-fetched, and I've read and enjoyed many without worrying overmuch about psychological credibility, but I found I couldn't actually write it. It just felt wrong. The solution was to make them cousins who were almost as close as siblings when they were kids. That's a story I hope to complete.

I think you've always got the option, as the author, to make a minor shift (or a major shift) in a story to remove the thing that is making you uncomfortable. Sort of adjust your own comfort zone.

I think you've always got the option, as the author, to make a minor shift (or a major shift) in a story to remove the thing that is making you uncomfortable. Sort of adjust your own comfort zone.
Maybe, but one of the main mantra's of a writing is: Always Write Boldly.

I cannot think of a situation where I was originally hesitant, wrote it anyway, and was upset that I did. In fact, in each case I was richly rewarded by having a memorable part of the story because I did.

But some story ideas are just bad, and of course should not be written in that case.

My rule of thumb is: if I constantly come back to a certain story idea, then its worth writing. In this case, if @badkitty21 constantly comes back to this story idea, even if it is uncomfortable for them to write, then they should write it out, even if it is just for them and never published.

My question is: is it right for your character? Particularly for your female character, if that’s what bothers you the most.
My female characters tend to be shy but sexually adventurous ingenues (18 - 25) or bold, equally adventurous Milfs (about 40).
I had a Milf in a Mind Control story, and it was a negative comment that got me thinking. I changed the ending of the sequel; having her unexpectedly take control, turning it into her own fantasy.
It just all came together and it felt so right.

There have been a number of my stories that have started in one chapter as the germ of an idea and its been an idea I dislike and shudder slightly at the thought of it. Yet it gnaws away, insisting that I think about it, insisting that I eventually write it. My stories involve a small group of characters and these ideas have shaped to story arc and the development of their personality.

I think it is these bizarre and sometimes unpleasant ideas that keep me writing. I'm surprised by the twists the stories take and that makes it interesting. I hope that makes it intertwined to read as well.

I started to write a non-erotic, thriller set back in tie to 1760, but only got part way through the novel even though everyone was well above 18 years old.

It was based on the premise that one brother could have prevented another brother from being killed, but remained mum. Their sister was in love with a man who protected the property of the King to which her on living brother was stealing. She hated him anyway, and only at the end of the novel was the reason for that revealed: he had been molesting her, and the older brother had been protecting her. The younger brother let his brother be killed so that no one would ever know. When the father finds out in the end, he has his son hung for stealing from the king, but also his lewd act.

Even though the lewd act is NEVER described, it was too much for me to write. The rest of the novel I love, and want to continue it, but could never think of a good reason a father would hate his son so bad that he would condemn the son to be killed.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. The novel is half written, and otherwise really good.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. The novel is half written, and otherwise really good.
Maybe it could be something as simple as he killed someone, she saw him do it/trying to cover it and he then threatened her too if she tried to say anything.

Back