Story comments

Blossom69

Virgin
I put up my first story (it's not great, but I'm learning), and someone (I assume one person) has been posting "anonymously" with hate comments. At first I was just deleting them, but eventually I just turned comments off. What are other people's experiences with this, or advice? Literally the first comment was still merging along the lines of "you should never even attempt to write." Like yeah, maybe it's not great, but that is very aggressive...

Hate comments deserve to be deleted, and I'm sorry you're getting actively harassed.
Add a link here and we can take a look and maybe offer more constructive feedback.

You'll find that dedicated category readers have firm ideas on what's "acceptable" in their category of choice. Your story has gone and breached most of those things for the category it's in.

It's a fairly charmless story, and you have multiple technical faults that make it a double whammy. For example, your point of view constantly changes for no good reason, so the narrative is all over the place. Your grammar and punctuation needs to be a lot better. But mostly, I think, you've broken the warm and fuzzy "rules" for an incest story - it's quite an ugly story, really, and the incest readers don't want that.

You'll find that dedicated category readers have firm ideas on what's "acceptable" in their category of choice. Your story has gone and breached most of those things for the category it's in.

Generally correct, yes. But in this particular case, there is an actual rule against rape stories in which the victim doesn't get any form of enjoyment from it. This story is simply a hardcore rape fantasy, and people not liking it has nothing to do with "It doesn't belong in MY incest category!11!!!1!!one!!". It's simply hard to digest for everyone who doesn't get off on physical and psychological torment like depicted in his piece.

I'll never understand some writers. You put yourself out there, on the internet, with a story like that (!), and you're wondering if the backlash you get is unusual? Even if it wasn't riddled with typos/missing capitalizations, it would be a hard sell.

Last edited:
I personally have learnt from some of the comments.
My writing, I feel, has improved from some of the criticism.
So yes its depressing, but if you take it at face value, and study your writing as to where its gone wrong, it should help you?
B

Man, that must not feel good. I have been lacking in comments, but noticed someone is practically going to each story to give it a one star review. Caught them when the newest story was out for just a few hours and I needed at least a few more to go over it.
Still, such conduct is really disgraceful and doesn't help much. Ignore them. If anyone had something real to say they might have elaborated. Or opened a conversation.

It's just one of those things you'll have to get used to. Not everyone is going to enjoy what you write.
There are some trolls who do it for the fun of it, but I feel like most other negative comments are genuine and you have to consider why they were made.

Best you could do though is to just ignore them. If you reply to them, you'll only be encouraging their behavior and you'll probably see a lot more of those comments even when they're not necessary.

I also turned off anonymous comments, which were sometimes spiteful, and usually unenlightening, shortly after publishing my first story here recently.

My take is that anonymity lets people comment with little thought or regard to the consequences of what they're saying, and that debases the value of their words. I prefer a small number of thoughtful critical comments over a lot of anonymous "This sucked", "Loved it", "Hot", "WTF"s.

Without anon, I wouldn't have gotten "Too weird." But I also wouldn't have gotten "Unexpected! Love good surprises. Got sucked right in and held until the end. Successfully sexified a challenging characterization and didn’t cross the line into gross. Excellent sensory world building," on the same story.

Back