Snippettsville Ambience

Wantonica said:
I would be more inclined to see Snippettsville contain 75% 'hometowners', with the remainder being newcomers from other locations.

Smiles,
Wantonica:rose:

I'd be more inclined to a 60/40 split, but I think we both agree tht the Bedroom Community aspect is a relatively new feature of Snippetsvile?

I think the "City Folk" are a new enough factor that there's not much friction with the "Townies" yet, but the two groups are fairly cliqueish.

Is everybody okay with the kind of atmosphere we are seeing wafting through our township now?

Fine with me, Sweet One. I think it's as planned as can be. We simply need to await the actual snippers and abundant snippage.

Again, thanks for your fine work and gracious hosting.

Perdita :rose:

Weird Harold said:
I'd be more inclined to a 60/40 split, but I think we both agree tht the Bedroom Community aspect is a relatively new feature of Snippetsvile?

I think the "City Folk" are a new enough factor that there's not much friction with the "Townies" yet, but the two groups are fairly cliqueish.

Yes, WH, I agree with you on this. Portraying a group of folks who know each other pretty well, with new people popping into the scene that are not quite allowed to enjoy the tightness of the originals, makes sense. (Heehee, that was a funny slip of an erotic pun!) Small towns are like that. The specific percentage is not really necessary.

WSO, this project is falling together very well. I'm cool with the atmosphere. :D Incidentally, after speaking with a relative who previously lived in Oregon, she spoke of the fog, hills, and huge distances between necessary 'major' amenities (hospitals, stores, schools, on and on). No offense to Alex De Kok, but having the county seat only 5 miles from the small town is perhaps unrealistic. (*stressing the perhaps*) I hope we get to the really fun part soon, after all this work. And then, I have a book before me which gives me a grand idea. I'll share it with you all after we work on this for a while...

Smiles and hugs,

Wantonica said:
Yes, WH, I agree with you on this. Portraying a group of folks who know each other pretty well, with new people popping into the scene that are not quite allowed to enjoy the tightness of the originals, makes sense.

Sounds just like a Lit. site I know. When does the big bust up between the Mad Professor and the House Marm take place?;)

Gauche

Wantonica said:
not quite allowed to enjoy the tightness of the ...
Wanton one: I'm tight, can I be the House Marm? :eek:

Perdita, paining to get snipped

perdita said:
Wanton one: I'm tight, can I be the House Marm? :eek:

My dear, you may be anyone your heart desires! Especially if you have the credentials...

Hugs,

Thanks, Want. I have them in abundance and can give good 600-word satisfaction at the drop of a pillow, or up against a wall.

passionately, Perdita :heart:

Country Club, County Seat, and other considerations

I've been discussing various aspects of Snippettsville with WSO outside of Lit, as well as keeping an eye on the threads. I take the point about the county seat being only five miles from Snippettsville. Okay, I'll move it! Should I move it completely off Map 1? This would make it at least eight miles away. How close should it be? As suggested at the moment, S'ville has its own first school and High school, but middle school kids are bussed to the county seat. How far is feasible? Answers please...

On the subject of the maps, apart from the county seat aspect, we're contemplating moving the camper area and cabins, probably to the shore area in square E/3 on Map 2. This will mean extending the road, of course. Luckily, that map is easily redone, courtesy of having copied the original blank... The country club will stay approximately where it is and will gain a golf course. The sailing club will also stay roughly where it is.

If anyone has any comments on locations I'd appreciate them on the maps thread in the SDC.

Alex

Re: Country Club, County Seat, and other considerations

Alex De Kok said:
How close should it be? As suggested at the moment, S'ville has its own first school and High school, but middle school kids are bussed to the county seat. How far is feasible? Answers please...

In my home town, the Middle School bus ride is about 20 miles by road from the High School. In other small towns, the bus ride to any school can be as much as forty miles. Anywhere "Off-the-Map" would be plausible.

Few small towns are more than fifty miles from the County Seat -- Snippetsville is closer than that if it shares a Middle School; probably no more than 15-20 miles.

Just an interesting aside. My town, San Francisco, is hardly more than 7 miles from any point to point. It's known as a cosmopolitan 'big' city, but is really quite provincial at times in local politics and culture. I'm beginning to feel at home in Snippstown.

Perdita

perdita said:
Just an interesting aside. My town, San Francisco, is hardly more than 7 miles from any point to point. It's known as a cosmopolitan 'big' city, but is really quite provincial at times in local politics and culture. I'm beginning to feel at home in Snippstown.
Perdita

Perdita,

The big difference is that in your town if there is a bay in the way, they build a bridge over it. :cool:

In the country, if there is a cow standing in the road, they build the road AROUND it. :confused:

Or so it seems, sometimes. :rolleyes:

WH's twenty miles by road, just may take half an hour, not counting the time spent picking up and discharging kids. :(

IMHO, the county seat should be about 15 miles away. If Snippetsville is much closer than that, the towns start to connect (businesses on either side of the road, subdivisions of the seat almost reaching the small town). In order to keep it a seperate entity, yet close enough to have a reasonable commute to work, shopping, and so on, 15 miles seems adequate.

The problem with having the middle school in the county seat pertains to school district formation. Usually, schools in the larger town are operated by the City School System, the remainder of the county by the County School System. Therefore, the middle school should be in another small town, or perhaps in the country between Snippetsville and another location, allowing it to service more than one small town.

Happy day,

Back