Shackled

It was the perfect moment and like Liam, she wanted it to continue forever. But he was right, they would have company soon. She smiled at his last comment and wiggled her brows. “I didn't hear you complaining a moment ago.” She teased and giggled softly, then sighed and pushed away slightly to grab the soap once more. “I suppose enough fun for now. I'll try to control myself if you do.”

With those words, she began to soap him up again, her hands quickly and efficiently washing his body off, teasing him as she bite down on her lip and gave him what had to be the sweetest and yet naughtiest look she could manage.

When they were both clean, she stepped out of the ice box he called a shower and dried off. Her laughter filled the small space again as they playfully bumped and fought over the sink, then spent several moments lost in soft sensual kisses as Emma led him back to the bedroom for them to change. She once more borrow some clothes. Wearing the jeans for the day before and a fresh shirt. She brushed out her hair and braided it, slipped on her shoes and went about fulfilling her promise of strong coffee.

Time was ticking by fast. Too fast for her taste. Her nerves began sent butterflies off in her stomach, which fluttered and made her slightly queasy. Sipping on her coffee, she sat on 'their' bench and waited anxiously for company to arrive. She wasn't let down. Precisely at two, Emma heard some commotion at the entrance and smiled as she heard the familiar voice of Mrs. Chan. Standing, Emma moved to stand next Liam, her hand bumping his, but then drawing back to slid it into her pocket. She didn't want to come across as the clingy helpless girlfriend. No, she wasn't helpless. She held her own, had learned some new tricks and was smart and dependable. Still, she felt as though she would easily drag Liam down being Shackled to his side.

“Oh it's so nice to come here and see a pretty face. You should keep this one around, Liam.” Mrs. Chan gushed, making Emma color as the older lady moved with surprising determination and grace. Emma was instantly greeted with a hug and bags of groceries. “I brought some more down. I know a woman cannot live on coffee alone. I even brought you some more pastries.”

Emma's eyes widened and a grin spread over her lips. Mrs. Chan was a sweetheart through and through. “Thank you so much.”

Right behind her, Mrs. Chan's son waved before shaking hands with Liam and then a small parade began the decent into his basement home.

Hansen stood at the counter drinking his coffee. It was nice. Could have done with a splash of whiskey, but now was not the time.

Emma sat at the counter with her cup in front of her. She looked nervous and fidgety.

“Don’t worry,” said Hansen. “I have a plan.”

He smiled.

I have a plan. At least it sounds confident.....

Finally, there was noise behind the door. Liam got up and opened the door before anyone had even knocked. Mrs. Chan was first in line.

As usual.

She walked in, kissed him on the cheek and hugged him in a tight squeeze. When she was done squeezing him, she pushed herself away a little while still in his embrace and looked around him at Emma.

“Oh it's so nice to come here and see a pretty face. You should keep this one around, Liam.”

“Oh,” he said. “I thought you were talking about me.”

She hit him lightly on the arm and moved into the room, going down the short set of stairs.

Victor was behind Mrs. Chan, her her oldest son. Black hair and thin. It was the thinness that fooled most people. They were only fooled once. But once was enough with him, you didn’t get a second chance to learn from your mistake.

Hansen shook his hand and the Asian man nodded. In his other hand he had bags of groceries. He rolled his eyes as he looked down to the bags.

“Mother.”

Hansen smiled. “I know.”

“I better get these to her,” said Victor, “or she will feel bad at not getting lunch ready.”

Behind Victor was Carl. The big man nodded at Hansen and walked down into the room silently, followed by Jimmy, Paul and Finley. Waiting behind them, but not entering immediately was Laura Black. She looked stunning, her short blonde hair perfectly made up and her clothes only enhancing her style. She walked slowly up to him, her blue eyes looking directly into his.

“Hey,” she said, and then placed both her hands on the side of his face and kissed him gently.

“Hey you too,” he said, trying to not to respond to the kiss, but failing.

She stepped back. “We need to talk sometime, baby,” she said softly.

Hansen’s chest went tight.

“We do,” he nodded.

Please, no trouble today.

She smiled, barely and then walked past him, to join the others. Hansen watched her in her jeans, white shirt and black coat. He wasn't the only one looking.

Yes, Laura has arrived.

Hansen looked around outside the doorway. No sign of Bonnie. He shut the door and walked up to Carl. He whispered in the big man’s ear.

“Bonnie?”

Carl looked at him, already chewing on something.

“She said she’d be here. She’ll be here.”

Hansen nodded. The grocery bags were on the bench and Mrs. Chan was rifling through his drawers and cupboards to find cutlery and plates. Already she’d assembled plates of cold meats, salads, cakes and pastries. She might have thought the army was coming. She had poor Victor running around looking for things. She looked up for a moment directly at Hansen and smiled softly. Then she heard a clatter from behind and rolled her eyes before turning to say something to Victor.

Hansen surveyed the group. They hadn’t been all together in the same room for a while. It had been too dangerous, he reflected. They used to be his team. Now they were all equals with the same aim in mind.

Open the eyes of the world to what was happening. They were controlled by mega conglomerate businesses and their puppet governments. Didn’t anyone care? They were all so busy acquiring and consuming that they hadn’t seen anything wrong in the way the world was. Well there was something wrong and it was their job to right it.

If anyone cared.

“Liam?”

It was Carl. He was standing beside him. “Let’s get it going. It won’t matter for Bonnie, she’ll be here soon.”

Hansen nodded.

He clapped his hands. “Ok,” he said, looking towards Mrs. Chan. “Has everyone got a plate and some food? We may as well start. Bonnie will be here soon.”

He got himself a plate, but he wasn’t hungry. He dropped a small bread roll on it and some cold meat. He couldn’t quite tell what meat it was, but it wouldn’t matter, if Mrs. Chan had brought it, it would taste good. Everyone had found a place to stand or sit by now and the chatter was dropping. They were waiting for him to start.

He was about to say something when there was a knock at the door.

Bonnie.

He put his plate down on the small amount of space left on his bench and walked towards the door. When he reached the top of the stairs, he opened the door.

And there she was.

Bonnie.

Her face looked like the face of an angel that had seen too much evil. It was framed with straight shoulder length black hair. She was lucky to be a couple of inches over five foot, but she was the toughest woman he’d ever known. And the most reliable. She was a pit bull and luckily for Hansen, he was her favourite person. She loved him with a fierceness that frightened and smothered him, but made him feel better at the same time.

She looked at him, expressionless, her eyes looking directly into his. He could lose himself in those eyes and he had. They had known each other for nearly twenty years. Longer than he’d known Jess. Mrs. Chan. Even Carl. Bonnie was his past, his present and his future. There would always be Bonnie.

Whether he wanted her or not.

Her face softened.

A little.

“Liam.”

The Irish accent. Faint, but still there.

“Bonnie.”

She walked up closer to him and put her mouth at his ear. She had her hands against his chest for support because even with his head tilted down, she had to get on her toes. He felt her warm breath on his ear.

“It’s been a long time.”

“Yes,” he whispered back hoarsely.

She let out a soft laugh. “A long time….” She gently kissed him on the ear and then stepped back. The softness had left her face, her green eyes piercing him, looking straight through him.

She was not happy. He could tell. But she was trying. An unhappy Bonnie meant trouble. Big trouble.

Shit.

Keep trying to be happy Bonnie. For me.

The room had gone quiet. Everyone was watching Bonnie and him. They never tired of this dance, of the heat. She had stepped back out the doorway and reached around the corner. She nodded at someone there and a man appeared in the doorway.

“Ladies and gentleman,” she said theatrically, with small bow and extension of her arm, “I present for your pleasure, doctor and researcher extraordinaire, Simon Thornton.”

A man walked into the doorway next to Bonnie. Everyone looked at him and then at Emma.

This was what they were all here for, the last piece of the puzzle.

Emma tried to relax, happy to see Mrs. Chan of course who fussed over everyone as though they were all her children. She nodded at Carl with a little smile, then Victor and the rest of the gang and when she thought she'd gotten a handle on her nerves, in came Laura.

She watched the tall glossy blond. She didn't waste any time strutting over to Liam and cupping his face with perfectly manicured fingers as she pressed her full lips to Liam's. She watched his body tighten, trying to hold back, but inevitably kissing her back gently. A harsh pang of jealous hit her square in the chest and made her look away.

Pretending not to take notice, Emma found herself clenching her teeth. She felt foolish and silly, no promises had been made, but after their shared night...well...it was a bitter pill to swallow knowing that he'd shared such nights with her[/]. But nothing could compare to the look that crossed his face with Bonnie appeared.

Emma swallowed hard and watched their exchanged looks, the tension and chemistry there so thick she could have easily cut it with a knife. She felt her heart sink and yet her pulse hammered in her ears, jealousy laced with anger simmering under her calm facade...or so she thought. Laura caught her gaze and smirked, making Emma's eyes narrow. Clenched teeth now ground together, making her jaw ache, until movement made her gaze shift again.

She watched as Bonnie stepped away from Liam.

“Ladies and gentleman,”she said theatrically, with small bow and extension of her arm, “I present for your pleasure, doctor and researcher extraordinaire, Simon Thornton.”

Emma's breath whooshed out softly as Simon appeared in the doorway and before she knew it, she was rushing forward and hugging him. He smiled and drew her close, burying his face in her wealth of freshly washed hair. “I'm so glad you're alright!” She gushed softly. A long moment later she stepped back and gave him a wobbly smile. “I was so worried they'd gotten to you.”

Simon pale, lean face smiled down at her. His all too familiar freckles still dusted the bridge of his nose and across his cheeks. His hazel eyes still sharp and full of life and intelligence. He was okay. Which meant they could do something. “What about your family.”

“I sent them away. Soon after you left. I had a feeling that things would get, well, complicated.”

Emma laughed and nodded, “That might be an understatement, but I still have the disk, as well as some muscle on my side.” Turning to the group, she felt strangely awkward as her gaze met Liam's. “So now that we're all together, what's the next step?”

Simon looked just like a researcher should and Emma rushed to embrace him. He looked fine, which meant the SPF’s had only been watching him up to now. Once they worked out he was missing, there would be a more concerted effort on all of them. They had probably not stepped up the search for Emma and Hansen because they knew that, at some point, they would need to get to Simon to finish the work and get the antidote out there. Then the government would be able to get to them all with one net.

Or at least they thought.

There was some murmuring as Emma held him and Simon explained what he’d done.

“I sent them away. Soon after you left. I had a feeling that things would get, well, complicated.”

He wasn’t wrong there.

Bonnie was looking directly at Hansen, one side of her lip slightly curled in a way that most would not even call a small smile, but for her it was downright laughter. She knew he would be wondering how she had retrieved the doctor so easily.

She knew everything.

About Hansen at least.

Her green eyes kept looking at him. The perfect face. The black hair. She was talking to him. No one would know. No one would hear. But she was talking to him, her eyes speaking more than any voice could. Even The Voice.

Where have you been?

Hansen returned her gaze. He had nothing to hide from Bonnie. He was probably the only person she loved. Truly loved, not just cared for, but truly loved. There was nothing he could do that would change that. He’d tried. Some of the things he’d done in the past….She loved him anyway. She’d nursed him. Put him back together so many times. He loved her, he always would, but the intensity was….

With her? Is that where? If you needed me, you should have….

Hansen shook his head slightly at her. Emma brought his mind back to the room. He turned to look at her as she spoke.

“So now that we're all together, what's the next step?” she said, looking at him.

He turned back for a quick moment to Bonnie, her eyebrow was raised slightly. Not anything the others would notice, but Hansen did. She was amused with him even bothering to listen to Emma. Now both sides of her lips curled slightly, almost imperceptibly, with a friendly mocking in her eyes.

Yeah, lover boy, what’s the next step?

It didn’t bother Hansen being the centre of attention. He had been a CO from a young age and these people were part of the team.

His team.

What did bother him was that this was an acceleration of their efforts to slowly destabilise things. They were all working in their areas, meeting up occasionally and causing disturbances where they could. The plan had been to wait and see what developed and then go for a bigger strike.

Hansen smiled as he looked around the room.

“It’s good to see us all together,” he said. “First, we need to welcome Paul to the team. He’s always been part of us, but this is the first time he’s ever gotten out of that damn theatre.”

There were a few laughs and claps around the room. The young man’s face went red as he nodded his head in acknowledgment to Hansen’s greeting. Finley, who was standing closest to him, slapped him on the back.

Carl spoke.

“No doubt, he’ll be bloody happy that he won’t have to watch Casablanca one more time!”

Everyone laughed. Hansen’s eyes were drawn to Emma, Laura and Bonnie. He was a tough man, but this was as edgy as he’d been in a long while. The team needed unity. He hoped they could do that. Emma was standing next to Simon, waiting to hear what they would be doing next. Laura sat next to Paul, the poor boy probably hyperventilating at having the super Amazon sitting so close to him. Bonnie stood alone, leaning against a wall, arms folded.

Just looking.

“Now, I’ve told most of you the story in bits in pieces, but I’ll tell you now again so that we all know what’s going on. It’s a bit long winded and complex, so when I finish, could someone please explain it to Carl again.”

They all laughed and Carl pretended to be offended. Once they’d settled down, Hansen started recounting the story from the beginning. He would occasionally check with Emma to make sure the facts were ok and she would nod or explain something a little more to the group. He was proud of Emma. This was all foreign to her, but she was doing well in giving her information and being part of the team.

Especially considering Laura and Bonnie.

There were a few murmurs when he mentioned that Blaxland had been at the bar the night they’d almost been captured.

“He’s fucking dead,” Laura had said softly.

Normally that meant you would be dead.

Soon.

Hansen raised his hand.

“We don’t want this to be personal. It will cloud our judgement.”

“He made me do what I did to you....” she said.

He nodded.

“Yes. I’m sure he’ll get what’s coming, but in due course, Laura, in due course.”

She breathed in deeply and nodded, but her face was cold.

Hansen told the story slowly. Ultimately the team would need to decide if they did anything and how they did it. He hoped they wanted in, but he wouldn’t try to influence them. It was Emma’s and his fight.

At the story’s end, Hansen asked if there were any questions.

Jimmy quickly spoke, with a laugh in his voice.

“So how come, it’s like you always, and I mean always, get the hot girls and we get to do all the dirty work?”

They laughed.

“I’m an officer,” said Hansen, smiling, but glancing nervously at Emma, “I’m supposed to get all the perks. Plus Jimmy, you spend most of your time tapping away on a keyboard, you could hardly call that dirty could you?”

Jimmy smiled at him. Everyone quietened down for a moment. They were waiting. Hansen knew what they were waiting for, but it didn’t make things easier. He was the CO, but there was always her.

“So this is it?”

Bonnie.

Hansen turned to her and nodded.

“Yes.”

She stood up straight from leaning against the wall. Tiny frame. Overpowering presence.

“This is the job we’ve been looking for?” she asked.

“Yes. It is.”

“To save the woman and Dr. Thornton?”

Hansen instinctively looked to Emma to reassure her all was ok. She and Thornton must have been fascinated by the group plotting to both save them and inflict some major damage to the government.

Ouch. Her name’s Emma, Bonnie. Please.

Everyone had gone quiet. It seemed they didn’t even want to breathe for fear of missing something.

“Yes, but we can also do much more. Stop the virus. This will hurt their plans. Be a severe setback to them,” he said. “Plus, it will draw them out, in a big way, and we can finally have that day that most of us have craved. A showdown.”

Bonnie stood looking at him, her eyes slightly narrowed, glistening green. She pursed her lips and let air slowly out of her nose, her body perfectly still.

Hansen stood there under the heat of her gaze. They were looking at each other and in turn everyone was looking at them.

She shifted slightly on her feet, but her expression didn’t change.

“I will go where you go, Liam,” she said flatly. “If your think this is the job, then this is the job. I’m in.”

She leaned back against the wall, looking first at Emma and then back to Hansen, her eyes again boring into him.

I love you. You hurt me. But I love you.

He nodded, the tiniest of movements.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The tension in the room was palpable and Emma stiffened next to Simon when Bonnie went on a little rant. She clenched her teeth together to keep from speaking out of turn. Obviously she and Simon were outsiders. Even though they were part of this now. The others had history, on many levels. Some more personal than others, but all of them had a stake in this.

She watched them exchanging glances and blew out a small breath of relief as Bonnie finally settled down. She made a mental note to stay out of Bonnie's way. It was time to focus on the plan. Time to focus on staying alive while saving others. Time to bring an empire of evil down.

Emma glanced at Simon who smiled reassuringly and gave her hand a little squeeze. Something in his eyes told her he hadn't missed a thing. He was just a sharp and took in all the details. “First thing is first however....” She found herself speaking again, gaining Liam's attention. “While Simon takes the disk and starts things off where we left off, we need to do something about these shackles. We can't go about our business if you're stuck at my side and vise versa.”

She watched Bonnie's dark eye brow raise as if this was a bit of news she hadn't been privy too and Emma felt a small tingle of excitement at having a little info that the Irish woman didn't have. She bit back a smile and cleared her throat.

“Could be worse people to be shackled up to, eh Liam!” Jimmy pipped up and she watched Carl punched the skinny idiot in the arm. “Ow!”

Emma rolled her eyes and yet found herself chuckling despite his idiocy. “Well I'll gladly trade spots with you Jimmy, if you would like to be to shackled up to Liam, be my guest.” She teased and winked over at Liam, earning a slitty eyed look from Bonnie.

Simon cleared his throat. “Shackles is it? How do you go about removing those?”

Hansen was still a little worried at the dynamics of the women in the room, especially Bonnie. Emma was new and she was intelligent, she would try not to start something. Laura was as hard as nails, but she was not very possessive….as long as she got what she tought was her share. Bonnie. Well, she was Bonnie.

Jimmy came out with a joke, but it didn’t seem to help matters. Bonnie was alternating her gaze between Emma and Hansen and it wasn’t exactly the look of love.

Come on, Bonnie. We’ve got work to do.

“Shackles is it? How do you go about removing those?”

It was Simon.

Thank God. Someone new.

Hansen turned to him.

“Yes. They mean that Emma and I can’t be more than fifty metres apart,” he said. “Or a charge goes off and we’re dead. We have to get them out, otherwise we won’t be able to do our work.”

“How do you do that?” asked Simon.

A voice came from the other side of the room. It was Victor, Mrs. Chan’s son.

“We need to get to a computer within one of the SPF Headquarters Buildings. Then we can disarm the shackles. Unfortunately, we can’t get remote access to them. We have to physically get into a building to get to the database in the mainframe.”

Hansen smiled.

“That’s what I was going to say.”

Victor smiled back at him. “Yeah right.”

Mrs Chan gave her son a clip behind the ear and she was only half joking.

“Don’t talk to Liam like that.”

Victor rubbed his head. “You know, sometimes I think he’s your favourite son.”

Everyone laughed.

“So,” asked Simon, “how do we get into an SPF building to disarm the shackles? I’m sure they’re well protected….”

Hansen interrupted him.

“Oh, they are. But SPF’s get in and out, which means we can.” He looked over to Bonnie. “How did we go targeting an SPF with high level clearance?”

Her face changed almost immediately and she was back into soldier mode.

“I think I have a candidate, Liam,” she said. “One of the detail that was watching Simon. He looks pretty senior. He wasn’t there often and spent half his time eating donuts.”

A few people in the room chuckled.

“Must be senior if he does nothing but eat donuts,” said Hansen. “How do I get to him?”

“Well,” said Bonnie, “they don’t realise Simon is gone yet. I’m sure he’ll make an appearance tonight.” She turned to look at Emma. “Maybe we go out there and get him?”

Carl coughed.

“Might be better if you and I go, Bonnie. Maybe Laura as well for insurance.” He looked over to Hansen. “I don’t think it’s a good idea for Liam and Emma to go. What if they get separated….things happen.”

He shrugged his shoulders.

“I know what you mean, Carl,” said Hansen, “but the quicker we do it, the better. Once we abduct him, we can force him to get us into the building and on to the mainframe and we can be unshackled.”

Bonnie’s face displayed something that at least resembled a smile. Carl nodded, slowly, but he didn’t look convinced.

“Ok,” he said. “But I’m coming.”

“Good,” said Hansen.

Laura Black stood up, startling Paul who was now revelling in sitting next to the glamorous killer. She looked at Hansen with her blue eyes.

You don’t think I’d let you do this without me?

“I’m going too,” she said. A statement not a request.

Hansen drew in a breath and nodded. Bonnie looked over to Emma and then back to Laura. She smirked and closed her eyes slightly and then looked back to Emma.

Let’s see how you handle some competition. Extra competition.

“Ok, it’s decided then,” said Hansen. “Bonnie, Carl, Laura, Emma and myself will work on getting us unshackled.” He looked around. “Jimmy. We need to know about Blaxland. There has to be someone pulling his strings and it will be a corporation. We need to find out who and why….”

He was interrupted.

“Liam….” It was Paul, the youngest. Hansen knew he would be eager to get involved.

“Wait, Paul,” he said. “Patience. I was about to get to that. You need to go with Finley. He’s going to be preparing some fireworks. You can help him out on that. Finley's shows are always fun."

The kid nodded, happy to be out of the cinema, if only for a while.

“Now, Victor, we need you to talk to Simon. Find out what he and Emma need to finish working on the cure. Then we need a facility. You know how to do that, so just go with your gut. Any questions, call.”

Victor nodded. That was enough for Hansen. A nod meant it would all get done.

Hansen turned to the researcher. “Simon, for now, we want you to stay here. You won’t be much use out in the field and you’re too valuable in case something happens to you.”

Simon nodded. “Ok. You’re the expert. Emma’s alive and well....I was always secretly hoping she was ok, but I had real fears once she was on the run. You guys look like you know what you’re doing.”

Bonnie snorted and rolled her eyes. It was nearly a laugh, but she held it in.

Hansen stared at her and then looked back to Simon. “Thanks. We try.”

He turned his attention back to the group. This felt good.

We’re going to be doing something.

“So, everyone clear on what we’re doing?” There were nods of agreement all around the room. “Good.”

Hansen walked back over to Emma and put his arm around her shoulders.

“Make the most of it, Irish,” he said, with a wink. “I know it’s a depressing thought, but you’ll be unshackled from me soon enough.”

Everyone laughed.

Except Bonnie.

She stiffened and folded her arms even tighter.

“Well let’s stop fucking around and get on with it," she said. "I suggest we finish eating and then start work.”

The mood quietened. Her eyes remained focused on Emma. Again, no mind reading was necessary to understand the message she was sending.

The quicker we get this over and done with, the quicker I can be rid of you.

Emma felt the sting of Bonnie's stare clear through. If looks could have killed, she would have dropped right then and there. Thankfully, Simon shifted and steered her away from the evil glare towards the food. Giving Liam one last little glance, she smiled softly and went about fixing Simon a plate and then settled on the bench with him. They bent their heads close and began talking logistics while everyone buzzed on about their own parts that they would play.

Unable to stop herself, her gaze returned to Liam again and again and each time she was usually met by that ice cold Bonnie gaze. Simon caught it as well and bumped gently against Emma's arm. “You okay?”

“Mm?” Her gaze flickered back to her partner and she felt herself flush slightly. “Oh...yeah.”

His own gaze moved over to Liam and then Bonnie before sliding back to hers. “I've known you for some time now Em and I hate to say it, but...” His voice dropped lower, keeping it between the two of them, “you've never had a date as far as I've known you and you certainly weren't making gaga eyes to any men on staff.”

Emma blinked and chocked on her next bite, clearing her throat. “I am not making gaga eyes.”

Simon grinned, “Yeah, yeah you are. But you better watch your step, someone isn't happy about it.”

Shifting uncomfortably she shook her head slightly, “I have bigger issues to deal with. Whether or not there is anything between Liam and I is really...well, sadly, inconsequential compared to our work right now.”

“Sure about that, Em?”

She met Simon's gaze with uncertainly. “No...not sure of much these days. Only that I can count on you and I can count on Liam. Bonnie...well, she might leave hanging if it wasn't for Liam. For him...I have a feeling she'd do just about anything. Like it or not.”

“If it makes you feel any better sweetheart, I think Liam would do the same for you. Guys know this sort of thing...I can see it in his gaze. They might have a past, but that's what it is. A past.”

With a soft snort, she grinned. “Since when have you become the Love Doctor, Simon.” She nudged his side and pushed away her finished plate of grub. “Don't worry about me, Simon. I'll return what I know best and that's science. No heartache or confusion there. Together we'll make it work and let the chips fall where they will. Assuming I'm still alive before this all done with.”

On impulse she pressed a kiss to his cheek and smacked a hang to his knee. “So you talk to Victor and I will go and get unshackled.”

The thought was depressing. Where she had once felt helpless and trapped, now the thought of being torn apart from Liam left a strange ache in her chest. Laura wasn't even truly a threat to her, but in her eyes, Bonnie was. Bonnie was special, while Laura was a playful fun romp in the sack. So what did that make her?

They were in Bonnie’s car. It wasn’t technically Bonnie’s car, but a car she’d stolen from a garage on their way out. They’d only need it for a short time. The meeting had ended later than Hansen had expected so it was dark and they were about a hundred metres down the street from Simon’s apartment block. Hansen and Carl sat in front while the trio of women were in the back. Bonnie was explaining the situation.

“He usually only turns up at around six thirty to seven,” she said. “He must treat it as his last visit of the day.”

“How many SPFs watch it normally?” asked Carl.

“Two cars,” said Bonnie. “Each with two men.”

Carl nodded.

“I say we get the guns and hand bombs and blow the fuck out of them and then take the top cop.”

Laura.

Carl sighed and Hansen smiled to himself. She would never allow herself to think that there was a subtle option, a path of least resistance. Bombs and guns were always her style.

“Maybe we want to do this quietly,” said Hansen. “That way we’ll have longer with the cop before they find out anything’s wrong. At the moment, they think Simon’s safely locked away in there and under their surveillance.”

He turned around and grinned at Laura. She smiled back lightly and rolled her eyes. “You never show a girl the fireworks,” she said with a giggle. “Well, not till the end of the evening anyway.” She winked at him.

Hansen winced. He didn’t really need to get into this, even jokingly, with three women in the car that all meant something to him.

“So where are the SPFs?” asked Hansen.

Bonnie breathed out and made a noise with her lips as if it was obvious. Hansen smirked. This was a good sign. She was getting into the task at hand.

She pointed out two cars at either end of the street. They were not the usual black vehicle favoured by SPF operatives.

“And what does our man normally do?” he asked again.

“He normally comes from the city end of the street and parks his car behind the car there. Then, one of them will walk with him to just outside the apartment and meet an SPF from the other car.” Bonnie paused. “Then they stand out there and talk for about fifteen to twenty minutes. They might have a cigarette and sometimes they have something to eat like a small cake or something.”

“So, the cars have only one operative in them for that time?” asked Hansen.

Bonnie nodded. “Yes.”

Hansen looked over to Carl.

“Looks like that’s the time. Easier to take out one person in a car than two,” he said. “Then we take the top cop and….er….handle the other two.”

Hansen didn’t want to sound too cold with Emma there, but he knew they’d have to kill them. Emma was sitting directly behind then. He couldn’t see her, but he slipped his hand between the seat and the car door and reached back quietly and gave her knee a squeeze. They were about to begin speeding things up and he wanted her to feel safe.

As safe as you can be when the SPFs are after you and you’re shackled.

“I think,” said Carl, “that when our friendly cop arrives, Laura and I take out a car each….without bombs and shooting.” He looked at Laura and she had a mock pout on her face.

“What’s a girl got to do to get some fun around here?” she said.

“Then,” continued Carl, “Bonnie, Laura and I take out the other two guys and we grab the cop.”

The two women in the back nodded that they agreed with the idea.

“Yes,” said Bonnie, “then we don’t risk Liam being separated from the girl.”

The girl? Bonnie was sitting next to her. Geez.

He reached back and gave Emma’s knee another squeeze.

“Ok, well you go and get into position,” said Hansen, “and we’ll stay here.” He patted his waist and felt the gun shoved in there. “Remember, if you need anything, just signal. We can see the whole layout.”

Carl, Bonnie and Laura got out of the car.

“Oooh,” said Laura, looking to the others with a smile on her face, “do you think we should leave them alone in the car like that? They might get up to things. You know, like....funny things.”

Carl rolled his eyes and gave a light laugh.

Bonnie pulled out the small rifle she had and loaded it with a loud ‘clack’. She didn’t smile.

“Just be ready if we need you,” she said curtly to Liam. “If I need you.”

In seconds, they’d disappeared, leaving Hansen and Emma in the car. He was still in the front seat, with her in the rear. He turned to look at her.

“Well, it’s all about to start happening now,” he said.

He knew she’d been quiet, but this was all so foreign to her. He wasn’t even sure if she knew what they were about to do. They would probably have to kill all of the SPFs down there to get to the top cop. He hated doing all this in front of her, but it was necessary.

And Bonnie wasn’t exactly making her feel welcome. He was going to have a word to Bonnie, but not in front of the others. He owed her that much.

He reached over and rubbed Emma’s cheek with his hand.

“You ok?"

It was no secret that Emma was the outsider in the group – thrust in the middle by no choice of her own. Or Liam's for that matter, but he certainly didn't seem to mind. She listened quietly, not in the least surprised by Laura's thirst for excitement. She slid her gaze out the window, avoiding Bonnie's looks as a small smirk played on her lips. So the doc liked to get dirty. In more ways than one. And Bonnie was the cold calculated queen when it came to trying to make her feel less than welcome.

She could feel Liam's tension as Bonnie's words hit home. Emma was glad she couldn't see his face, but found herself smiling softly as he reached back and squeezed her knee, not once but twice. Big bad Liam, trying to protect her from the women of his team. Emma gently brushed her fingers against his hand and said nothing until the plan was set and everyone sprang into action, Laura adding her own little jab towards Bonnie as they left.

Blowing out a long held breath, Emma leaned back against the seat and forced her body to relax. Every muscle in her body seemed tense, ready to bolt at the first sign of trouble. The concern in Liam's eyes warmed her a little, her skin tingling where he brushed his hand against her smooth cheek.

“I'm fine. You worry too much.” She murmured softly and then cleared her throat. Her eyes held his steadily as she reached up and grasped his hand, giving it a squeeze. “I know this is new to me, but you don't have to baby me. It's bad enough that I'm in the way here, I don't want them thinking I'm a simpering little girly girl.”

She bit her tongue, knowing that the last part came out a little harder than she meant, but she was tired of Bonnie's looks. Laura didn't bother her as much anymore...she liked to play while Bonnie was the hard core gamer. Blowing out another stead breath, she leaned forward a little to get closer, wanting the warmth of his body, but resisting the urge to grab a hold of him. “I also understand that...people are going to die in this situation Liam. They already have. There might not be bombs involved like Laura disturbingly wanted, but I get gist of things. I'm not going to crumble or crack. So do me a favor big guy...” her voice dropped down to a soft purr as she leaned in just a little further, her breath fanning his face sweetly, “stop worrying about me. I know you have a big gun and know how to use it.”

Drawing back she winked and giggle softly. “Seriously, this is it. We're doing what we planned to do and after this, we're not going to be joined at the hip. I don't want you to worry about me, Liam. Besides...it's obvious that there are...unresolved feelings between a certain real Irish lady. I'm afraid if you keep hovering over me she'll either shoot me or you or both of us.”

Jealously nagged in the back of her mind, but she tried to ignore it. Breaking her gaze away, she shifted it out the front window, looking for the team to return. Time was ticking and it wasn't really the time or the place to be hashing out feelings.

“I'm fine. You worry too much,” said Emma as she reached up and took his hand. She squeezed it lightly.

“Worrying is what I do and it’s kept me alive so far,” Hansen sighed. “It’s not your fault that now I have someone else to worry about. Someone else that I care about….”

He trailed off and looked at her, so beautiful and plucky, but she really didn’t realise what they were going to do. They had to get the shackles off and the chance of the senior SPF helping them without some form of coercion was minimal.

She looked at him directly, her resolve obvious.

“I know this is new to me, but you don't have to baby me. It's bad enough that I'm in the way here, I don't want them thinking I'm a simpering little girly girl.”

“I’m not babying you….” he tried say, but she pressed on.

“I also understand that...people are going to die in this situation, Liam. They already have. There might not be bombs involved like Laura disturbingly wanted, but I get the gist of things. I'm not going to crumble or crack. So do me a favour big guy...” she said, her voice lowering into a soft purr, “….stop worrying about me. I know you have a big gun and know how to use it.”

She winked at him and he smiled back at her.

“Yes,” he said, “you certainly took all my best shots!”

He chuckled lightly.

He hadn’t heard anything yet and he could see the senior SPF’s car at the end of the street parked behind one of the surveillance vehicles.

What were they up to?

Emma interrupted his thoughts. She was talkative.

He didn’t mind. He liked that now.

Like?

Shit, I think I ….

“Seriously, this is it. We're doing what we planned to do and after this, we're not going to be joined at the hip. I don't want you to worry about me, Liam. Besides...it's obvious that there are...unresolved feelings between you and a certain real Irish lady. I'm afraid if you keep hovering over me she'll either shoot me or you or both of us.”

He smiled wryly at her for a moment and then his face returned back to its serious countenance.

“I’ll explain about Bonnie, but now is not the time,” he said. Then with a smile again, he added, “She won’t shoot anyone I don’t want her to shoot. So don’t worry about her.”

He paused for a while, turning around in his seat to look down at the scene below him. Now something was happening. The senior SPF was out of his car and knocking on the window of the car in front of him with no response.

Fuck.

He smiled to himself.

In the time he’d been talking to Emma, they must have taken out the surveillance vehicles and their occupants….

“Emma,” he whispered, “it’s about to start.”

The cop was peering into the car and tapping on the window when he went down suddenly onto his butt, his legs collapsing from under him. He was stunned for a moment.

A moment is all she needs.

Laura slid out from under the car in what seemed like a millisecond and planted a kick in his face. He wobbled in his sitting position for a moment and then slid over onto his side. He was either concussed or incapacitated with pain. She stood over him for a second and then the others came to her side. Carl bent down and scooped the cop up like he was a bag of fruit and started to make his way back towards Hansen and Emma. The women peeled off, probably making sure that the scene looked as “normal” as possible to delay the discovery of the SPF’s abduction.

As the Carl made his way up the hill with his human package, Hansen turned to Emma.

“It’s long and it’s complicated. Yes, I loved Bonnie. Actually, I still love Bonnie and she loves me,” he said and took another deep breath. “But I’m not in love with Bonnie.”

He turned fully and very quickly gave her a light kiss on the cheek before any of the others arrived and quickly returned to his position in the front seat.

He looked forward, through the windscreen, towards Carl who was only fifty metres away from him. Towards the two women who understood him and loved him unconditionally. He sighed.

Don’t do it.

Shit, it sounded like The Voice. He was at least three days early! He’d need to take the drug, but he couldn’t afford to be out of action while it worked.

It spoke again.

Don’t say what you’re going to say.

What was I going to say?

I’m in your head, dickwad, I know.

Fuck you.

He continued to look out of the windscreen.

“I can’t be in love with Bonnie,” he said in a whisper just loud enough for Emma, as if saying it quietly might reduce its meaning, lower its importance. “Because I think I’m in love with you.”

There. I said it.

Hansen sat back and waited for the others. He’d said it now and couldn’t take it back.

Great. What a romantic thing to say while you’re on a killing spree. You’re smooth.

I wanted her to know….

You’ve known her less than a week.

Fuck off or shut up. Your choice. Help me, but I won’t let you hinder me.

You went so well with Jess and Cass without me.

So help me.

I will if you can keep your dick in your pants.

Emma slid her bottom towards the middle of the car to peer through the front window and caught sight of Carl who was lugging along their package. She listened to Liam talk and felt her heart melt as he turned to kiss her cheek softly. The rasp of his unshaven face was strangely soothing and when he gave her the warning, she braced herself for whatever came her way.

What she hadn't expected was his profession of love. Everything inside her stilled for a moment before her heart kicked into high gear. Her eyes focused on the side of his face. What was she to say? I love you too? It seemed completely and utterly crazy and yet she couldn't deny that connection she felt with him. How everything seemed to fit, physically, emotionally, in every way. It was true, he wasn't trying to babysit her, only trying to keep her safe.

“Liam...” She breathed out and reached forward to clasp his shoulder, giving it a squeeze. She forced him to look at her and saw the shift in his face, his body a little more tense and ready. “I love you too, so there. I said it as well. Our timing couldn't be more off, but in light of our situation, I'm glad you know.” Her gaze sharpened on his handsome face as she swiped her thumb over his lower lip. “Something else is going on, isn't there?” she whispered.

But there was no time for a response before Laura opened the door and slid inside, shoving Emma back into her seat. “See?! I told you. Can't leave the two of them alone for one minute!” She announced.

Emma let out a soft grunt and rolled her eyes, “As if you could control yourself if left alone with him?” She shot back and crossed her arms.

Laura blinked at her, a little surprised, but quickly recovered and laughed. “Someone is feeling spunky. Seems like he's rubbing off on you in more ways than one.”

Touche. Emma felt her cheeks flush warmly. “Don't be jealous, Laura. You had your turn.”

Laura laughed, clearly enjoying the jabs. “Shut up, the pair of you.” Bonnie snapped, her green eyes glaring.

Emma sat back, trying to absorb it all. Everything was moving so quickly, it was a little overwhelming. Leaving her feeling giddy and yet also frustrated. This wasn't the moment for love and romance, crammed in the back of a car with two ex girlfriends while a body was being piled into the trunk of the car.

The added weight jostled the vehicle and Emma shook her head. So much for her tidy little mundane world.

Carl sat in the driver’s seat.

He always drove.

“Here we are,” he said.

Thank God, thought Hansen. The banging in the boot from the captured SPF officer was driving him mad.

They were sitting in the car, a block from the SPF Headquarters, but they could see it's roof towering above all the other buildings in the area. There was an air of palpable tension in the small vehicle and it wasn’t just about what they had to do in order to defuse the shackles.

Women.

Christ, haven’t you got anything better to add?

Women.

Thanks.

“So how do we plan on getting in?”

Bonnie.

Hansen turned in his seat so he could look at everyone as he spoke.

“It’s like any SPF facility. It will have electronic and biometric security,” he said. “I’m assuming our friend kindly gave us his security passes?”

He smiled at Laura. She would have been the one to claim them.

She reached inside the neck of her sweater and pulled out some cards from her bra without a hint of self-consciousness. She smiled as she leaned forward and handed them to him.

“I should have let you get them out for yourself,” she said with a sly smile and a wink.

Hansen felt his cheeks grow warm. He was used to Laura’s teasing and flirting, but the women in the car were making him tense. He didn’t need any further aggravation.

“Um, just knowing where they’ve been will be enough for me,” he shot back.

“Oooh, a card fetish,” she said. “I would have put them somewhere else then if I knew that….”

“Geez, Laura,” said Hansen, rolling his eyes. “This is serious shit.”

She giggled.

“So we have the cards,” said Carl, interrupting. “That means the electronic security is taken care of. What about the biometrics?”

“It’ll be more than one,” said Bonnie.

“What do you mean?” asked Hansen.

Bonnie took a deep breath. She didn’t look happy, but then, she would never be if Emma was anywhere near him. She could handle Laura, or at least she didn’t fear her as a threat. But Emma….

“I mean more than one access method. It will be a combination. There’ll be fingerprint or palm technology. They’ll probably also have iris recognition.”

“What about facial?” asked Laura, serious now that the business at hand was being discussed.

Bonnie shook her head.

“They don’t use facial since the incident a few years ago. Plastic surgeons are too good these days.”

Hansen was thinking, his brain going through the options.

“How do we get him cooperative?” he asked no one in particular.

“Oh,” said Carl, smiling, “I’m sure Laura will get him cooperative. Or dead.”

Laura giggled.

Hansen shook his head.

“Nope. The place will be crawling with SPFs. We can’t walk in there in a group and we’d need at least three. Two of us plus our friend in the boot.”

“But without him we can’t get through the biometric security,” said Bonnie. “Maybe one plus the scumbag will have to do it.”

“That will have to be me then,” said Hansen. “We can’t guarantee that he won’t alert the others. It’s not like I can take him in there totally tied up and gagged.”

“I could cut his tongue out.”

Laura. No giggling this time. She was serious.

"The problem is, until we disable the shackles, Emma and I will have to stay together."

"How convenient," muttered Bonnie under her breath, but just loud enough for everyone to hear.

Hansen looked at Emma, his face pensive.

Don’t worry about the scientist. You have to do what you have to do.

I know.

You wanted help. This is my help.

This?

Yes. I can get you through it.

Fuck.

Just do it. It must be this way.

Fuck.

Hansen reached down, rolled up his trouser leg and pulled a knife from the sheath attached to his lower leg. The others in the car were silent. They understood.

That’s my boy.

He turned to the others in the car.

“Laura,” he said, “come out with me. I need you to help me with my….er….extractions.”

“Yes, Liam,” she said seriously, as she opened the door and got out. Once she’d closed the door, Hansen looked at Emma, but then spoke to Carl and Bonnie.

“No matter what you hear, stay in the car,” he said. He motioned with his eyes to Emma. “Don’t let her out of the car till I give the ok. For anything. I mean it.”

Carl nodded. Bonnie scowled.

Hansen looked at the knife in his hand as he pulled on the car door to open it.

“For anything….” was all he said as he started to step out of the car.

You’re going all religious on me, Liam.

Religious?

An eye for an eye. Ha ha ha.

You’re a fucking evil bastard.

It’s not me holding the knife….

Emma looked at Hanson through the glass, their gazes locking as a small shiver of dread slithered down her spine. She dropped her gaze down to her hands which she had clasped in her hand, her knuckles white as her heart began to pound. They were going to be up to something and from the sounds of it, it wasn't going to be pleasant...at all. For anyone involved, but particularly the guard.

“Emma...”

Carl's deeper, rougher voice caught her attention and she met his, gaze. No other words were exchanged as Bonnie made a soft sound of disgust in the back of her throat. Emma opened her mouth just then to unload a little of her own tension, but a sharp cry cut her off.

She jerked and sank deeper into the seat. “Is it really necessary?” She asked as the car rocked a little and she heard Liam swear. Laura's voice filtered in as well, lower, almost in hissing out and the car suddenly dipped a little as if extra weight had been added to it.

“Are you questioning Liam's methods?” Bonnie snapped and Emma stiffened and clenched her teeth.

“No, of course not. I was just asking a simple question.”

Bonnie let out a soft grunt and clucked her tongue, turning away with a little sniff. The next blood curdling scream made her stomach dip and quiver, nausea sliding up her throat. She refused to give Bonnie something more to talk about, so stared out the window, grim faced. She knew he had to do what he had to do. If there was a way around it, Liam would have found it. She had to have faith in that. He was doing all he could to disarm them and keep them safe. She didn't want to be a hindrance to him any longer and had a lot more work to do with Simon. Although the idea of him going out alone was terrifying. Even thought she knew he'd done it a million times before...he was a lean, mean fighting machine trained for this sort of thing. But he still meant so much to her, it was making her chest heart. Like a vise squeezing at her heart and robbing her of her breath.

It was done.

Laura and Hansen had what they wanted. Hansen was now in the SPF’s uniform and Laura had the small bag in her hands with the rest of what they’d gotten from the cop.

He wouldn’t be needing them anymore.

See? That wasn’t so hard, was it?

Hansen felt like throwing up. As soon as this was over, he needed the pills. He didn’t care if they fried his brain, he’d be better off anyway, or at least the world would be. He couldn’t keep doing this much longer and it was only going to get worse.

Much worse.

“You look good in that,” said Laura with a wink. “Ever think of signing up?”

Hansen shook his head. He held the helmet in his hand. He’d have to put it on when they entered the SPF building. He was still deciding who to take with him. Emma had to come because of the shackles. He would have preferred to take Carl, but the big man would be too obvious and, besides Hansen, he was probably the most recognisable of the group. It wouldn’t be wise to take him into an SPF building.

Bonnie or Laura?

He didn’t trust Bonnie with Emma. It was natural for her to feel dislike towards her and there was no way she would let him down, but even a second’s hesitation could see the effort fail.

Laura was more pliable. She’d follow orders and do anything he wanted without a moment’s hesitation. She was probably also the best in their group at hand to hand combat except for himself. He smirked. She probably was better than him although he would never admit it. However, Laura did tend to spoil for a fight. She revelled in combat and confrontation even when a fight might not be the best course of action.

“Liam?”

It was Laura.

He raised his head from his thoughts. He looked at the doctor. Short blonde hair and blue eyes in a package nearly as tall as him. She looked like a homecoming queen….if you went to school with assassins. A black widow wouldn’t stand a chance….

But she looked so beautiful.

Because she’s your type of girl.

Yeah, that’s what I want, romance advice from a voice in my head.

Well, you don’t seem to be doing such a great job.

Why don’t you help me get out of this first and then we can talk about match making?

I will, but you better not end up with the scientist. I can see it already – white picket fence, kids….ugh.

Hansen smiled to himself.

Now that would be funny.

Don’t even joke about it. Anyway, stop procrastinating. Take Laura with you.

“Liam? Are you ok?”

It was Laura again.

“Yeah,” he said. “Sorry. I was talking to Him.”

She nodded. There were some things between them that no one else would understand.

“And what did He say?”

“He said I should take you. You ok with that?”

She smiled.

“As if I would have let you take anyone else,” she said. “I’ve nearly lost you a few times. I’m not risking it again.”

“Laura, I didn’t mean to….”

She put her hand up and shook her head.

“I know, I know. Let’s just get this done.”

They looked at each other for a few moments and then they got back in the car.

Carl looked over at Hansen in the passenger seat, admiring his uniform.

“Nice. I always thought you’d make a good SPF.”

Hansen snorted at him.

“Yeah,” said Laura, “and I was the lucky one who watched him change into it. Love the blue underwear, Liam.”

Hansen rolled his eyes.

“It doesn’t really work if the leader of the mission is the butt of everyone’s humour….”

“But it’s such a nice butt,” interrupted Laura again.

Hansen turned in the seat and looked at her with raised eyebrows.

“Ok,” he said. “It’s decided. It will be Emma, Laura and I to get into the building and disable the shackles.”

He heard Bonnie snort.

He turned to her. Her eyes were slitted and her lips pursed. She was really pissed.

“Bonnie and Carl will stay in the car. I have a comms unit. Anything funny starts to go down, then buzz me.”

Bonnie inhaled loudly.

“Only thing going down here has been….”

“Enough!” snapped Hansen at her. “We have to do this before we can really get underway. So let’s focus and get the job done. Understand?”

He was losing patience and some of the old Hansen came out. He looked at Bonnie with a hard stare. She held his gaze and then nodded.

“Good,” he said, softening his voice again.

He reached into the glove box and pulled out his glock. He turned and passed the gun to Laura.

“It’s old, but good. Know how to use it?”

“Well, it’s like everything else in your pants and I seem to be able to get everything else in there to work….”

Carl started laughing. Hansen shook his head and hit him on the shoulder.

The big man turned to him.

“Well, you have to admit it was funny,” he said, still chuckling.

“Yeah, sure,” muttered Hansen.

He knew the signs. Some of his team reacted with humour when a major action was about to start, while others became sullen and withdrawn. It was all part of the territory for a military leader.

Military? With this bunch?

A figure of speech mate. You’re talkative today.

Just trying to stop you getting killed.

Oh, thanks.

It was time.

“Laura? You’ve got the bag?” he asked.

She patted the plastic bag on her lap.

“Yes,” she said, serious again.

“Ok, then. Irish, we’re going to play computer games. Let’s get to work and clock the machine and then get the fuck out of here.”

He opened the door and stepped out of the car. It was nearly dark now. That would help them. There would be less activity in the building and they’d be able to negotiate the security measures without looking so obvious. Emma and Laura came to stand next to him.

He took a set of cuffs from the belt of the SPF’s uniform and tossed them to Laura.

“Oh, Liam,” she said in a mock little girl voice. “Do we have time?”

He shook his head and sighed.

“Cuff yourself and Irish. If anyone asks, then I’m bringing you in.”

“Woo. Two of us. I like the new Liam,” she said with a giggle. “Yes I do.”

She took the cuffs and snapped one onto her wrist and the other onto Emma’s. She made sure to not set them too tightly. In fact, both of the women would be able to slip out of them without the key should they need to quickly escape.

Hansen looked at Emma. He smiled at her, a small smile, but enough to let her know he was relaxed.

“Well, this is it, Irish,” he said. “You up for it?”

He didn’t wait for her answer. They started to walk toward the building a couple of hundred metres away, the women in front and Hansen with his hand on Emma’s back. He looked down at the bag Laura was carrying.

I hope the biometric security works with a dead man's eye.

Don’t worry, it’ll work. The iris won’t deteriorate for at least an hour. Trust me, eye know. Hehehe.

Fuck me. Even you. Even you….

Emma's stomach rolled with nerves. Even the tall statuesque model next to her or Liam's reassuring look could make the onslaught of butterflies in her stomach go away. Numbly she watched Laura handcuff them, her eyes slowly taking in Liam's dark uniform and helmet. He certainly looked the part and it did suit him, although the job itself was all wrong.

As the cool metal slid across her wrists, she almost flinched, but kept herself steady and forced her shoulders to relax. Her pulse pounded in her ears as she watched Liam give a slight nod and slip on the helmet, closing the visor. A shiver ran down her spine, reminding her of all they had been running from and trying to avoid. This was it.

To her surprise Laura tugged at the handcuffs, catching her attention and smiled, giving her a wink as Liam moved around them, placing a large warm hand against her back. She felt herself lean back, ever so slightly against his touch, needing his strength.

There was no faking her fear. If they got caught in this act, things would be over. People she was growing to care for would die. “Don't look so damn nervous.” Laura prodded gently.

Emma glanced up at her briefly, “Easy for you to say blondie. You know how to kick ass. I know how to formulate drugs.”

Laura let out a small chuckle, “Good point. Stick with us and you'll be fine.”

“Can't say I have a choice or we all go boom.” She muttered, feeling Liam's fingers flex against her back. The small gesture soothed her a fraction, but that fraction was just enough.

Staring ahead, Emma forced her feet to move, watching the distance grow smaller and smaller until they finally reached the entrance. The moment of truth. A man had died for this or at least been brutally mutilated so that they could get in and out in one piece.

Liam crowded them, pressing their bodies together together and looking big and touch. A bag rustled and Emma glanced down at what Laura was holding, feeling a wave of nausea roll over her as she saw the contents. Groaning softly, she looked away and blew out a long breath. “Something tells me you guys have done this before.”

They were at the security pad. Hansen looked down at it. It was a palm reader.

Shit.

He’d need the whole hand.

“Now act suitably contrite and captured girls,” he whispered.

“Always for you,” whispered back Laura with a grin.

“Captured criminals don’t normally smile,” he said, “now pass me the hand.”

Laura reached into the bag, their bodies shielding the grim-looking appendage that came out. Hansen quickly glanced at Emma - she looked like she was going to be ill, but this was no time for sensitivities.

“Something tells me you guys have done this before," she said, looking away.

He smiled weakly and placed it on the reader and the pad lit up and started to run through the algorithm. The pad changed colour from red to green and the Access Granted message came up as the large glass doors hissed open. He dropped the hand back into the bag quickly.

“Good,” he said. “Now we have to find a terminal.”

He pushed them through the entrance and they walked at a normal pace into a large foyer. He had his helmet on so he was unidentifiable. He also had the cop’s uniform with incorporated armour, so he had some defence if shit started to go down. The facial recognition software would be taking images from all the SPF buildings and surveillance cameras the government had and processing them for people of interest. There would be some time before Laura and Emma came up and were flagged by the security systems.

I hope.

Laura grabbed his elbow lightly and motioned with her head to a large hallway running off the foyer. In front of the hallway was a desk with two cops on it, both of them without a helmet. The area they were in was not busy, but there were enough cops walking around, both helmeted and without helmets, so he knew they wouldn’t stand out.

“Alright, Laura, time for a show.”

She batted her eyes in mock subservience.

“I always put on a show for you, honey,” she said in a low voice.

He grimaced and turned to Emma. “Irish, I’m going to act like a cop and talk like a cop. Just react. I know you can.”

He gave her hand a squeeze and started walking towards the desk pushing them along in front of him.

“Shit girls,” he said loudly, “I can’t believe you were soliciting like that and the sun hadn’t even gone down yet….”

“Come on Mister,” said Laura, shuffling in front of him, “if we both give you a show, you’ll let us off wontcha?”

He knew it would be playing with fire giving Laura carte blanche with her “character”, but it was the best way to do it.

“Hey, just keep quiet. I’m gonna book ya and then we’ll see what happens next.”

“Aww, come on, Mister,” she said. “One little let off for two nice little ladies….”

He sighed at one of the cops on the desk.

“Fucking whores,” he said.

“Hey,” cried Laura, “who you callin’ a whore?”

Hansen sighed again and spoke to the desk jockey.

“I’m from the south precinct. Picked up these two lovelies on the way to work there,” he said. “Gotta desk here with a machine? Then I can book ‘em and leave ‘em to you. Commander down south won’t want me hanging around here long helping you guys out.”

The cop nodded and turned his head down the corridor.

“Down there. Any empty ones will be fine. Use your own details and it will automatically file it in under your sig.”

“Aww, come on,” said Laura, “you don’t have to book us….”

Hansen shook his head.

“Thanks. Great start to the day,” he said to the cop. “Great start to the day….”

He pushed Laura and Emma lightly.

“Let’s go ladies. The quicker I get this done, the quicker I can get outta here and leave you to these boys.”

Both of the cops on the desk smirked.

Laura turned to them.

“You’ll help us, won’t you?” she said in her most trampy voice.

"I'd certainly help you, little lady," said one of the cops.

“Shut up and come on,” said Hansen, pushing them both roughly in the back.

They got a few metres down the hall when Laura whispered in his ear. “I love it when you play rough.”

Hansen rolled his eyes even though no one could see them through the dark visor of the helmet.

The quicker I get this done, then the quicker I can get outta here.

Ain’t that the truth.

For once we agree.

Yeah, for once.

The guard were so taken by Laura's brazen act, that in all reality all Emma had to do was lean into Liam's body, spreading her fingers over his chest and batting her eyes, smiling sweetly and occasionally batting them over to the other guards. It seemed to do the trick and before long he was shoving both of the women down the corridor again.

With one strong hand under each other their upper arms, Liam tried to strong arm them a little. He almost lifted Emma off her toes, jostling her a little. She protested loudly and gave him a bit of an elbow, glaring at the black helmet until he set her down a little and she was able to walk. “Careful hun. You might bruise the good and then she won't be able to perform.” Laura said with a throaty laugh, earning her a glare as heat rose and flushed Emma's cheeks.

He let out a grunt and moved them in the direction that the others had pointed. Low laughter filtered behind them and then dissipated as they found exactly what they were searching for. Lined up against a white wall with one long blue stripe down the middle sat several terminals, all of them free and open. “Must be a slow day for crime...” She muttered softly. “Is this what we're looking for?”

“Yep...and probably is. They are all occupied trying to find us. Sort of funny if you ask me. They have us and don't even know it.”

Emma didn't find it at all amusing, feeling Liam's grip tighten as she bustled them forward. Laura took a glance at the system. “Well we're in luck...we thought right. It's iris biometric security.”

The word iris sent a shiver down Emma's spine and then made her skin crawl. She'd already witnessed the dead man's hand being used...the thought of his eyes being plucked out of his skull made the familiar acid fill her throat, making her gag. “I'll be glad when this is over with.”

Laura beamed her a smile. “Oh come on now! The fun has only begun!” She quipped and without blinking her own eyes, removed the prize she held in the bag. Emma turned her face away and blew out a breath.

Hansen stood at one of the terminals with Laura and Emma. They’d been bantering together and he felt comfortable with his decision of pairing them. There would have been little banter with Bonnie….

The terminals were set on small stands, each with with two spartan-looking plastic chairs. These were not private terminals, but it didn’t matter to him. Once he was logged on and they were into the system, then they would be able to access anything they wanted. He looked at the blue strip running along the wall. There were small clear holes in it to the left of each computer. They were covered with blue glass and a small black rubber cradle directed the user to the correct spot so that their eye could be scanned. It was the iris security system….

Hansen’s comms unit made a small beep.

What the fuck is taking you so long? It’s not a date. Get in and out. Now!

He pursed his lips and looked at the women. Laura raised her eyebrow knowingly, making sure that Emma didn’t see her. Bonnie? He nodded back.

He was going to have to deal with her at some stage. She had always been stubborn and difficult, but he wouldn't stand for anything that risked the plan being compromised. He had to put her back in her place.

He quickly tapped in his response - Yep - and sent it.

Wow. That’ll show her.

The Voice.

Look, I don’t have time for this now.

No, you don’t, but you need to sort her out. You need her on your side. In fact, you just need her.

Later.

Ok, but a good commander sorts things out before they fester and cause problems.

Yep.

Talkative today aren’t we?

Fuck off.

Coughing brought him back. It was Laura. She’d noticed him looking at the comms unit blankly.

“Oh, sorry,” he said. “The security. Is it a lefty or a righty?”

Laura looked at the rubber cradle on the wall.

“Righty,” said Laura.

Emma looked at her as if to say something, but Laura continued after glancing at her quickly.

“I’m a doctor after all and the shape of the cradle suggests that. Also, the device is on the left hand side of each terminal. That suggests it’s a righty.”

Suggests?” said Hansen.

Laura looked quickly at him.

“Don’t be pedantic,” she snapped. “I’m certain. I’ve got it here.”

Hansen looked down at her hand. She’d had the eye in her hand during all their time at the terminal. Hansen had done a lot of distasteful things in his time, but walking around casually with a dead man’s eyeball in his hand was not one of them.

What a girl, eh?

He rolled his eyes and reached into his pocket. He drew out a small thin cable with a plug on each end.

“You’re so old fashioned,” said Laura. “A cable? Surely the comms unit doesn’t need a cable.”

“That’s because I am old,” he said with a smile. “This is so Victor can access the main computer once we’re logged in. He can see everything and there’ll be no signal picked up”

Laura nodded, drawing in some breath.

“Hey, smart move. No one looks for physical cable anymore….”

Hansen tapped the side of his temple with his forefinger.

“That’s why I’m the boss….”

He put his hand out and Laura dropped the eye into it just as a couple of SPFs walked past.

“Get your hands off me!” she shrieked at him.

The SPFs stopped. They were unhelmeted and smiled at him.

“Need a hand?” one of them said.

“Nah, boys,” said Hansen, his helmet still on. “You know, hookers.”

They smiled more widely.

“Well, if you want us to take them off your hands….”

“Soon as I book them in, they’re all yours,” he said with a laugh. “I’ll let you know. They’re trouble though.”

Laura pouted and they didn’t seem to worry that he was helmeted. He was never surprised at how distracting attractive women could be.

“Good looking hookers,” said the other SPF, “you’ve got all the luck. We just brought back some squatters. Students thinking they’re rebels.”

He rolled his eyes.

Hansen laughed.

“Give me a hooker any day…”

Hansen felt a small punch to his side. He didn't know it was Emma or Laura.

The SPFs kept walking on without further conversation.

“Now stand around me,” he said with a whisper to the women. He could feel Emma at his back. They’d be separated soon.

Apart.

He leant over and looked into the eyepiece and placed the dead man’s eye over his so that the scanner could read it. He held his breath for a few seconds, and then the black screen on the terminal lit up. He let his breath out slowly and then stood up. The terminal had a maintenance jack. He plugged one end of the cable into it and then pulled out his comms unit. He dialled a number and listened.

“Mr. Hansen?”

Victor.

“Knock it off will you,” he whispered. “How many times do you I have to tell you it’s Liam.”

Victor paused.

“But my mother is sitting next to me.”

Hansen laughed.

“Shit, ok then. It’s Mr. Hansen for now,” he said. “You at a terminal?”

“Yep.”

“Ok,” said Hansen. “I’m in. I’m about to plug this comms unit into the machine and then you can do your stuff. How much time will you need?”

“Should only be a couple of minutes, Liam,” said Victor. Hansen heard a noise on the other end of the line. It sounded like a thud. “Er…I mean….Mr. Hansen.”

Hansen chuckled to himself. Mrs. Chan.

“Ok. I’ll plug the unit in and put it down. We’ll be able to watch it on the screen?”

“Yes.”

“Do we need to do anything once you disable the shackles or are we right to go?”

“You should be ok to just get out of there. We can extract the shackles later. Miss Black will be able to do it.”

“Ok, I’m about to plug it in then,” said Hansen.

“Hey, Liam,” another thud, “Ow!...umm….Mr. Hansen?”

“Yes?”

“How come I get all the geek jobs and never get to go out and have fun?”

“Well you Asian boys are all techno wizards, aren’t you?”

“That’s a generalisation. We’re not all nerds and mummy’s boys, you know. On the next job I want to go out. I can fight and shoot you know….”

Another thud.

Shit.

Mrs. Chan was going to kill him at this rate.

“Ok, I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t promise anything.”

“Why?”

“Your mother would kill me.”

He took the comms unit from his ear and plugged the cable into it. Now it was connected to the system. He made sure to place his arm over it and pretend he was pressing the buttons on the terminal’s touchpad. In seconds, the terminal screen started scrolling around to different screens as Victor took control of it.

Hansen watched the screen and whispered.

“This is it, Emma,” he whispered. “In a few minutes we’ll be free and you won’t have to run around with me and make me coffee anymore.”

Laura giggled.

“Or breakfast.”

Hansen shook his head.

Free.

Hansen wasn’t a sentimental man, but he did feel a slight twinge at the prospect of he and Emma being separated.

Maybe she was only here because she had to be. Maybe once she was free she would….

The women stood to one side of him, quiet now, acting suitably contrite, but the hallway was empty. He watched the screen, flashing with different data to different locations. It was all a blur to him

Come on, mate. You sound like some sort of hero from a romance novel.

What?

Give it a rest. I’m in here too. You know how much I hate soppy crap like that.

I wasn’t being soppy.

You’re really gonna miss being shackled to the scientist? Give me a break.

Fuck off.

If your mind was big enough I’d start playing a violin. No room in here though.

If my mind was big enough, I’d work out how to get rid of you.

That won’t happen. Ever.

We’ll see.

Still making eye jokes?

Hansen groaned.

Hurry up, Victor, he thought. Just hurry the fuck up.

While Liam was busy getting them separated, Emma was busy watching the small screen as well as looking over her shoulder, hoping that they could get out of there soon. Still...it seemed a little bittersweet. She would have no real excuse to stick close to him soon. She'd have to stick close to Simon while they worked out a solution to their problem and Liam did the muscle work. Strangely enough, it terrified her. She didn't want him getting hurt or worse...the nagging feeling that they would lose what connection they had formed once the shackles were gone was another fear. It seemed illogical, but fears never did bring much logic to the table.
Pressing close, she sought the warmth of his body. His solidness that had brought her so much comfort. Taking a deep breath, she glanced at Laura who was enthralled with the process. Vaguely she wondered if the tall blond would enjoy extracting the shackles as well and how exactly that would go.

Fighting the urge to take Liam's hand and give a squeeze, she remained calm, cool and a little distance as her eyes scanned the screen. What seemed like an eternity went by until finally the screen blinked, a long line of scrolling script filled it and then blinked again before the words disabled flashed in bright letters.

“It's done.” She murmured and cleared her throat, relieved and disappointed at the same time.

“Time to get the hell out of dodge!” Laura added.

“How are we going to do that?” Emma asked, glancing over at the SPFs that still lingered in the background.

Laura flashed her a grin. “Just be ready to run.”

Emma groaned and slanted Liam a look that wasn't a cheerful one as Laura launched into an over dramatic hysterical fit. She pushed at Liam, making him stumbled back and crash against the wall. “You bastard!! I can't believe you're gonna book us!”

Emma was jerked, still cuffed to Laura. “Work with me babe. I know you have it in ya.” Laura shot back at Emma who's eyes widened.

Liam let out a grunt as the two men from behind began to yell. “Hey!”

A hand grasped her shoulder and tugged, bringing Laura up with her. “What are these whores doi --”

His words were cut short as Laura drew back her fit. Emma jerked to the side, stomping her foot onto the man's booted foot as Laura connected with his jaw. The man stumbled back with a curse as Emma wiggled her wrist free and moved away. Laura delivered a swift kick to the guys head, sending him down.

She heard Liam curse in return and watched as the second officer turn to join the action. Laura laughed almost gleefully as Liam shoved Emma behind his body. “Liam, for the love!” She began to protest, wanting to tell him she could take care of herself, but she was quickly hushed as Laura told them to run.

Victor finished whatever it was he’d been doing and Disabled started blinking on the screen. Hansen winced a little when he heard Emma say, "It's done."

He looked casually down at the comms unit under his hand. He reached down with his other hand and pulled the small cable out of the computer and then out of the comms unit.

“Excellent, Victor,” he whispered into the unit. “Gotta go.”

He hung up and then punched a message into the unit.

Have to get out. Front door. Trust your instincts. 2 mins.

He sent the message and pocketed the unit. Now they had to get out of here and it was unlikely he’d be able to just waltz out with the women. They were supposed to be hookers he’d picked up and charged after all. They would be expected to go to a cell.

Hansen patted the police issue automatic on his hip as he stood up and faced them. It wasn’t his Glock, but it was a gun. Laura had the Glock. It wouldn’t be any less deadly in her hands. Emma had nothing.

Except him.

Last girl that had only you to rely on….

Oh shut the fuck up will you. You’re supposed to be helping.

Just saying.

Emma and Laura had been whispering behind him as he’d collected the comms unit. He thought they might have been trying to figure out how they could get out of here. He was looking for any form of inspiration. They were only about twenty metres from the entrance to the hallway so technically they weren’t far from the entrance of the building. Also, most of the SPFs would be coming from the other end of the hallway as that’s where their offices were. The only ones to worry about were the cops at the front desk and the odd few that were either on their way to leaving or entering the building and they were at a disadvantage as Hansen had the element of surprise. No one would be expecting a confrontation at an SPF administration building.

He watched as Laura moved a little closer and put her hands gently on his chest. He sighed. He’d worked with her for so long and knew her so well.

A fight.

She wants a fight.

She always wants a fight.

He sighed again.

The look on Laura’s face changed and she shoved forcefully against his chest. He let the force of her push cannon him into the wall. He made sure to drag on some cables so that terminals crashed to the floor. Noise was disruptive to most people’s concentration and he needed as much disruption as he could manufacture.

“You bastard!! I can't believe you're gonna book us!” she shrieked at him.

The cops they’d been talking to were now at the desk with the other cops manning reception.

Four, that’s nothing.

If they don’t get their guns out before you.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Just saying....

Hansen had his back to the wall, his hand slipping down to the SPF automatic. One of the cops got to Emma, wrenching her up by the shoulder. She tried to stomp on his foot, but it would be useless against his boots.

At least she tried.

Laura landed a perfect right hand on his chin and the cop went down backwards, his fall broken by a small terminal desk. Emma’s hand came free from the cuffs and she fell away towards Hansen. He threw his helmet off even though it protected his head. They were much harder to fight with and took away his spatial awareness.

He moved towards Emma and pulled her behind him just as Laura kicked the first cop in the face. This time his face went slack and he slid down to the floor.

“Fuck me, Laura,” he said. “You couldn’t think of anything more subtle?”

The cop’s partner was now running towards them, trying to draw his gun at the same time.

“You fucking whores!” he cried.

Emma tried to say something to Hansen, but he couldn’t make out what it was as he shielded her with his body. Laura looked at him momentarily with a slight nod. She’d take care of the approaching cop.

“Run!” she yelled.

He didn’t know if it was a distraction to her plan or not, but he ran towards her, not away from her. To the approaching cop it would look like they were trying to close in on her together.

Good.

“I’ve got her on this side,” said Hansen.

The other cop stopped about five metres from Laura. He was breathing hard and he looked down to his unconscious partner on the floor.

Hansen clucked his tongue to himself.

Bad move, mate.

As soon as his eyes moved to his partner, Laura jumped off one step and planted her foot in the middle of his chest. The air was pushed out of lungs and he was sent crashing into a terminal. As he slid down, she drove her knee into his face, snapping his head back and leaving him with a broken nose. She started to reach for the Glock….

“Fuck it,” yelled Hansen. “The desk cops. They're more important.”

Laura nodded at him and started down the hall towards reception. To the untrained observer it would look like they were doing the wrong thing going back towards the entrance and more cops, but the whole exchange had taken less than thirty seconds and the cops on reception would still be confused as to what was happening. They would have no idea that two whores would be causing more than just a minor disturbance. They had cameras, but all they’d see would be a scuffle. Hansen just hoped that it took them some time to absorb what they were seeing and that there weren’t too many more police coming back to base at this particular moment.

He grabbed Emma’s hand and pulled her roughly with him, trailing Laura by about ten metres. He heard her behind him and took a quick glance behind to make sure there were no cops coming into the hallway.

“Come on, Irish,” he said, “we don’t have much time.”

Hansen now had the automatic in his hand. The time for subtlety was past.

He heard the cops cry out at reception. They were out of his line of sight and then he heard the shots.

Laura.

By the time he made it to the end of the hall and ran into the reception area, the cops were sitting with their faces down on the desk, blood pooling around their heads like a red halo. He pulled Emma past them and ran to Laura.

“I guess their paperwok's fucked," he said. "Do we need anything to get out…” but he stopped, hearing shouts behind him.

Cops in black uniforms were coming down the hallway towards them.

“Duck,” yelled Laura.

He threw Emma hard onto the floor just as Laura started to shoot back down the hallway. He dropped to one knee and started shooting as well, a deadly hail raining though the passage. The cops hadn’t even drawn their guns and four of them went down. One of the cops used a shot colleague as a screen and sat on his haunches next to a terminal. Laura started to move back in his direction.

“Fuck him,” shouted Hansen. “The door. Give me a hand."

"What? Another one?" she laughed, but she turned back towards him.

Fire was now coming out of the hallway, but the cops were shooting blind. He and Laura each grabbed one of Emma’s arms and started to run for the entrance. He could hear more shouts behind them now.

I hope the doors don’t need security on the way out….

He had the police armour on so he ran straight for the door, slightly in front of Emma and Laura, intending to smash through the glass, but the glass panels slid open. Hansen figured Laura must have killed the cops on reception before they’d had a chance to lock down the entrances.

They had at least thirty metres to run before they made it to the street and safety of the car.

The shouting behind him was getting louder. There were more cops and they were getting closer. Their shooting had stopped, but it was only a matter of time before they got a visual on them and started firing again.

“Run, Emma,” he said, letting go of her arm so that Laura could pull her along. He turned to face the building they’d just escaped from.

"Bonnie. Shit."

"Nice to see you too," she said, with a cold smile on her face. "So, are you going to ask me for a dance or do I have to ask you, shy boy?"

She must have been waiting at the door and she’d slipped in behind them as they came out. She turned her head to smile at him one more time, her black hair framing her face, and then dropped to one knee at the same time he did, holding her gun in her familiar two handed grip.

A synchronised ballet.

Of death.

She paused, her eyes ahead. They were both on one knee, shoulder to shoulder, their guns raised. She was waiting for his order.

“Now!” he yelled.

They started firing at the entrance and cops fell as they ran into the foyer. None made it near the entrance. They kept firing even when there were no cops to be seen, to make sure that Laura and Emma could make it to Carl and the car.

His gun emptied first and Bonnie kept firing. She motioned with her head to the front of her pants while she kept firing the gun, increasing the intervals between shots to three, maybe four seconds.

“Don’t be shy,” she said grimly, still firing the gun.

He rammed his hand down the front of her pants and pulled out another police issue automatic.

They must have got another one.

“The things I find in the most unlikely places,” he said.

She laughed.

“Lucky I didn’t wear larger pants, never know what else would have been down there. But then again," she said, all the while firing, "there's not much down there you haven't seen."

He almost blushed, but this wasn't the time for it. He raised the fresh gun and started firing, timing his shots between her’s so that it seemed like there were more gunmen than there actually were.

Gunpersons, Hansen.

He ignored the Voice in his head and kept firing. He heard screeching tyres behind him and he hoped it was Carl. He heard Laura shout, “Here,” and he knew that it was.

The gunfire was making his ears ring. Bonnie stopped firing. She was out. She threw the gun down and looked behind her. She stood up and something heavy the size of a tennis ball landed in her hands. He heard the rat-a-tat-tat of machine gun fire behind him and paused for a second and looked around.

Laura had the gun at her hip and was blasting away into the now bullet-ridden entrance. She looked like an angel, her blonde hair in the light, except most angels didn't smile like her or have tight biceps flexing under the weight of a machine gun and its recoil. He looked back. He couldn’t see any cops.

Any live cops.

Bonnie passed him the spherical metal object – a bomb. She turned and caught another one. Then Carl moved away from the car and Emma and Hansen could see he had one in his hand as well. Laura moved in front of them, covering the whole group in a veil of bullets, the machine gun sending its deadly trail in front of them. Carl, Bonnie and Hansen moved up beside her and she stopped shooting.

“I really wish more would come out,” she said. “They’re such chickens.”

Carl laughed and looked back to Emma who was leaning on the car with a small metal box in her hand. He winked at her.

“I’ve given her the detonator unit. Don’t see why she can’t have some fun,” he said.

Hansen smirked, but then shook his head.

“You realise this is now just gratuitous, don’t you?” he said. “It’s not going to achieve anything. You're all just going to blow the whole building to the ground because you like it. You know that, don't you?"

“Yes,” they cried in unison and then started laughing.

“Fuck me, sometimes I wonder who’s really running this show.”

Hansen paused and smiled, looking at each one of them. The team.

His team.

“Ok, let’s do it, then,” he said.

Laura started again with the machine gun and moved forward a little further. Carl, Bonnie and Hansen followed her and separated slightly behind her into a fan shape and then threw the bombs in through the entrance so that as much of the building as possible would suffer the blast.

Laura kept firing and then started to walk slowly backwards as she saw the bombs fly into the building. The others turned and walked towards the car. Hansen knew they had to get out of the area quickly. The alarm would surely be out there now.

He looked at Emma standing by the car as he walked towards her. She was looking towards the building, holding the detonator unit in her hand, her finger lightly pressing on the green button on top of the unit. When he was only a few metres from her, he took a deep breath.

Laura stopped firing and they all stood and turned towards the building about fifty metres away. He could feel Emma at his shoulder. He slowly breathed the air out through his nose.

“Ok, Irish, start the show.”

And then Hell rained down on the city.

The power that rushed through Emma's body with the touch of a button was staggering. Her pulse pounded and breath whooshed softly out of her parted lips. She flinched as the explosion hit, leaning further back by instinct, trying to protect herself. The warmth of Liam's body soothed and thrilled her as well.

For a moment the 5 stood and watched the show before Emma finally let out a soft laugh and grinned up at Hanson, her brow eyes sparkling with excitement. What a rush! It had been wild and crazy, but she felt alive. It was easy to see how someone could get addicted to that feeling. The adrenaline, the adventure. No wonder Laura was always seeking a fight or a bit of a thrill. No wonder all three women were after Liam. He was all that wrapped in one attractive package.

Shaking his head, he chuckled and ushered her into the car as Bonny moved with purpose, brushing past Liam and sliding into the front seat of the car. Obviously she didn't want to share any personal space with Emma and she was fine with that. Squeezed between Liam and Laura, Emma slid her hand over his knee and gave is a squeeze.

Laura was grinning and practically bouncing in her seat. The doc had gotten what she wanted. “Holy shit. That was a blast! Literally! I like this chick after all. She has a little bang in her.”

Despite everything, Emma laughed and elbowed Laura gently. She winked and smacked the back of Carl's seat. “How about it big guy!! Take us back, so I can do a little digging.”

Emma cringed at the idea, wondering what exactly this procedure would entail. The car set off to their 'base' of operations, Liam's basement and home. Clearing her throat, she glanced over at Laura again. She looked relaxed, happy and at ease with herself. “Do you have what you need for the procedure?”

She turned her blond head, dropping it against the head rest and pondered the question. “To be honest, not really. It is probably best I do it tomorrow, when I have all my tools and a little anesthetic. Unless you like pain.”

Emma shook her head, “No thanks. I don't like the idea of you 'digging'”

Pursing her lips, Laura made a soft raspberry sound and shrugged, “I'll make it as painless as possible, but there will be some digging involved. “

She felt Liam's hand slide over her own and give it a squeeze, making her realize that she was gripping him tightly. Deciding it was best to drop the subject, she forced herself to relax and slumped against the seat as they arrived at their destination. Everyone climbed out a few doors away from their actual hide out and began to walk. Car dropped a friendly hand on her head and gave her a little reassuring pat. Emma gave him a playful glare, but then grinned. The sweet lug was worried about her and she knew he cared.

“Home sweet home.” She murmured softly, earning a cold death stare from Bonny. She ignored the ice princess and slipped passed her and down the narrow staircase. Mrs. Chan greeted with her usual warmth. Behind the others trailed and she figured they had things to talk about and instead fell next to Simon. “I made a big boom.” She said with a grin and giggled.

He cocked a brow and laughed, “You're just full of surprises aren't ya?”

“Never thought I would be, but learning to like it.”

With a hot cup of coffee in her hands, courteous of Mrs. Chan, Emma relaxed with her new and old friends, waiting for what would be next on the 'to do' list and how Laura would proceed with the procedure.

The silver-haired man is losing patience.....

He didn’t know how it had come to this. Honour. Respect. Service. Duty. These were the tenets he'd lived by for most of his life. But now, it had come to this. The silver-haired man sat in the chair, his lips pursed. He kept them firmly together because he was aware that he might say something wrong.

No, not wrong. He might say something inappropriate, at least for the situation he was in. It wouldn’t be wrong. But it wouldn’t be right. He'd hated ambiguity all of his life. It was part of the reason he'd become a soldier. Right. Wrong. Black. White. Innocent. Guilty. Kill. Or be killed. Yes, ambiguity was not the path he'd chosen. Yet now, everything was ambiguous. Working for these motherfuckers, that wasn't ambiguous, that was just plain wrong. But....here he was, in a world of grey. He tried to stop thinking of how it had been. It was as it was.

Ambiguous.

He made a mental note to never use the word ambiguous again.

I can't even spell it for fuck's sake.

His thoughts were interrupted by Paul Lindeman.

“So you’re telling me this Hansen or Flannery or whatever-the-fuck-his-name-is, got into the SPF main administrative building with, not one, but two of his bitches and unshackled himself and then blew up the building and killed over fourty officers?”

Blaxland nearly smiled.

Nearly.

He valued his career, but he was tiring of having to deal with these bloated desk jockeys. One day, not now, maybe not even soon, but one day, he was going to rid himself of his own shackles. These weak pasty-faced bastards didn’t deserve him or what or he did for them, but for for now he would play along.

For now….

Blaxland returned from his thoughts and nodded.

“Yes, sir,” he said. “He did.”

How the fuck did he do that?” asked Lindeman. The Chairman of Pfizaxson knew his company wouldn’t be happy. “And a senior officer was left dead on the street with his hand cut off and his eye pulled out. Do you know what that does to public morale?”

Public morale? What about the SPF's morale?

Blaxland knew the fat Chairman’s ass was on the line over this.

But what was this? What was Hansen and his motley crew working on?

And is there a line wide enough to fit Lindeman's fat ass on it?

He nearly chuckled.

Nearly.

Fat ass or not, he had to play here and at least humour him. They didn’t understand Hansen and they never would. Hansen didn’t do things that made sense, he just did things. These fuckers would never understand; Hansen did things because they were right. There was a time when Blaxland had done the same, when he’d done what was right. That time was a distant memory now, but he understood Hansen.

He’d made Hansen.

“We didn’t know he had his team together, sir,” said Blaxland. “It would appear now that he has them all.”

Lindeman sat back in his chair and it creaked under the load of his corpulence. On either side of him were the Chairmen of two other major corporations. They were, effectively, the government. Lindeman was reflective. He knew Blaxland was good, but he needed the problem solved quickly and the Hansen motherfucker seemed to be better than good. He seemed....invincible and driven by a rage of rightousness. If there was something that peeved Lindeman, it was rightousness. Money and power were his only values. The only things that had value.

“Well, what now then, General Blaxland?” he said. “I hope you’re not going to tell me this Hansen character is unbeatable?”

Blaxland shook his head.

“No one is unbeatable, sir,” he said. “I created Hansen. I made him what he is now. I can beat him.”

Lindeman looked at him, narrowing his eyes.

“You….created….him?” he asked.

“Yes, sir,” said the silver-haired man. “I created him for you. He was part of what made you what you are today.”

“Made me….”

“He worked for you,” continued Blaxland. “For the government. He was part of the unit we set up years ago to…..persuade…..people and states to follow our bidding. You know that. You know all of that. And he was damn good at it. Now you want him snuffed out….for the sake of expediency. Of course, I’ll do it, but remember, he was one of us once…..Sir.”

“You created this monster?”

“Yes, sir. Just like you manufactured wars and regional destabilisation. Except Hansen cracked. His mind changed.”

“Changed?”

He developed a conscience, sir,” said Blaxland.

“Conscience?”

“Yes, sir. We though we’d changed him, but the neurosurgeon looking after him turned.”

“Turned?”

Blaxland wanted to get up and slap the Chairman hard, but he resisted the temptation, instead he balled his hands tightly. He was quickly tiring of the one-word questions, but now wasn’t the time to change things.

Not now.

Soon.

But not now.

“Yes, sir,” he said with a sigh. “Laura Black. She was a rebel sympathiser. She saw the opportunity to bring Hansen around to their way of thinking. From what we understand, it didn’t take much to bring him around anyway.”

The men in front of him were silent for a moment. Captains of industry now running the world, with a general in front of them answering their inane questions. Blaxland saw the irony in this, but resisted the urge to smirk.

Wouldn’t happen in the armed forces; generals don't answer to captains.

“So,” said Lindeman, finally breaking the silence, “your crack group was actually made up of rebels and they turned your best soldier into a rebel?”

Finally, he thought, an expansive question.

“Yes.”

My turn to keep it short.

“This situation seems to be getting out of your control, general.”

The men on either side of Lindeman nodded their heads. A flurry of jowls and double chins. It looked like a Michelin man impersonator's convention.

Fucking sycophants.

“No sir. We’ll have to up the ante certainly, but you were the one who wanted him alive initially….sir. It was only at our last meeting you ordered me to kill them all. We had him at the bar. And Carl O'Shaughnessy. And the girl. We could have had them all. You wanted whoever was with her alive to find out how much information she'd given away. Information, by the way, sir, to which I still haven't been made privy to.”

Lindeman sat back in his chair as if he’d been slapped.

“I….”

“Sir,” continued Blaxland, “Now we have to step up. We have to fight fire with fire to use an old cliché. We have to get them all. If we leave even one of them breathing, then it won’t be over. It’s never over with them….till they win.”

“How many of them are there?”

“At least eight that we know of.”

“Eight?”

Back to the one word questions.

“Yes, sir.”

“So you’re telling me that the whole of the SPF have to step up their efforts to eliminate the threat from just eight rebels?”

“They’re not just any eight….”

Lindeman slammed his fist down on the desk. The two men beside him moved slightly. Blaxland guessed it would be the most exercise they’d do for the day. Lindeman’s face was red and the veins in his neck were bulging. Civility and control were deserting him like it always did when his power and wealth were threatened.

“I want these fuckers dead, Blaxland,” he shouted. “I don’t give a fuck what information may be out there, I want them dead. We’ll deal with the fallout later. Dead. Do you hear me?”

Fallout?

Blaxland nodded.

“Yes, sir. I hear you. Hard not to.”

Lindeman narrowed his eyes and stared at him. The silver-haired man held his gaze, his face impassive. The fat man relented first.

“If news of the virus gets out, it will galvanise every rebel group globally.”

Virus?

“And,” continued Lindeman, “cost us trillions. Trillions….” He trailed off. “Just kill them.”

Virus? Trillions?

Blaxland could have sworn the last time had been billions.

Trillions?

“Yes, sir.”

“Anything you want, ask for it. Anything you need to do, just do it.”

In the depths of his mind, Blaxland remembered a corporation that had said that. It was long ago, when the struggle for the world’s resources hadn’t quite been won yet, but when corporations were making their concerted play for control. He’d been young. Long ago....

That’s what it all came down to. Control. Of people. Of resources. Of the earth.

Control.

Just do it.

Last edited:
"Nothing will come of nothing" - King Lear (W. Shakespeare) - or.....just fucking DO!

Hansen rode in the back of the car with Emma squeezing his hand. He knew how she felt. She was excited and buzzing from her first real exposure to the danger and excitement of what he did. He'd never thought of it as dangerous and exciting, but he couldn't think of anything else he would be happy doing. She’d been on the run with him through some tight situations, but this had been planned and executed to perfection.

But....

It had also shown their hand. Blaxland would know it was them the moment he was informed of the raid, and the surveillance footage would only confirm it. Everything would be stepped up another level.

Step up. One of Blaxland’s favourite terms. It still felt odd that they were going to come up against him. He was almost a….father….

He shook his head slightly as he heard Emma and Laura talk about what they’d just done and what the removal of the shackles involved. Blaxland had been no father. He’d been a mentor and a leader, but there had been too much of the svengali in him. He’d used them in the end, especially Hansen. He did have a sense of responsibility and honour towards them, but it had all been to do with what he wanted. He’d gotten in too deep and then he couldn’t control what had happened to them.

To Jess and Cassie….

They got out of the car some distance from Hansen’s place. It would have to be dumped and they’d have to steal another one later. For now, they were all buzzing from what they’d just done. Hansen had the urge to shoot something. He knew what that meant.

Showtime.

He loved showtime. He loved action. He loved....

It’s done now. You know that don’t you. It now has to meander to its logical end. Blaxland or you.

I know, but it won't be me and there won’t be any meandering to it. I’ll be going at him like a fucking tsunami.

I would expect nothing less.

Good, because that’s what you’re getting.

He heard a laugh in his head, but they were already inside his place. Emma was still excited from their unshackling.

“I made a big boom….” she said to Simon. “Never thought I would be, but I'm learning to like it.”

Carl turned around to look at her.

“You’re a natural at this, doc,” he said. “And Finley, those ball devices you gave us really packed some punch. The common detonator was a great idea.”

The big man shrugged at Carl. “Not a problem, but if I’d been there I would have given you the good stuff, didn’t want to give you amateurs too much firepower.”

Hansen enjoyed listening to the banter of his team.

“Calm down,” he said to all of them with a smile. “This isn’t meant to be fun. And you,” he said turning to face Emma, “are turning into a regular little commando.”

Emma already had a coffee in her hands and she was still flushed with excitement at what they’d done.

Bonnie broke the frivolity.

“How did you go with finding a lab for our two scientists here?” she asked Finley.

“Well,” said Finley. “We did a bit of searching, both through the computer and physically. We think we’ve found one. Simon seems to think it will do.”

The doctor cleared his throat.

“Yes, it’s an abandoned plastics manufacturing facility close by. They’ve got some equipment there we can salvage and repair and what ever else we need, I’ve been told we can….er….source?”

He looked over to Finley and the big man gave him a wink.

“Yeah, doc,” he said. “I’m sure we can source anything you need. Jimmy’s still back in his den checking things out at the moment.”

“How far?” asked Hansen.

“About thirty minutes drive,” said Finley.

Hansen nodded. “Good. We won’t be too far apart then. We’ll need two teams.”

“We’re going to need to distract Blaxland while our two resident researchers get on with finalising the vaccine,” said Carl. “That’s going to require a lot of firepower.”

Hansen thought for a few moments. He knew most of them would want to be out in the field, not protecting Emma and Simon. That would be seen as the “boring” job, but he needed dependable people there that could maintain their concentration over long periods of time.

“It’s going to be hot everywhere now,” said Hansen. “You all know that Blaxland will be really gunning for us now.”

Everyone nodded their heads slowly.

He hasn’t been doing a great job of finding you has he?

What do you mean?

Well, really, don't you think you’ve been pretty free to move around without much risk of being caught?

I suppose the SPF presence on the street has been down. What are you saying?

I’m not saying anything. I’m just a voice in your head.

Well you keep being helpful and I may lay off taking the Palazonol.

You can’t do this without me. Stop threatening me.

I’m not threatening. I’m telling.

Bonnie was talking now.

“He has been quiet though,” she said, “I haven’t seen a marked increase in SPF’s since all this started going down.” She briefly glanced at Emma.

“Don’t be fooled,” said Laura back in serious mode. “The guy’s a cunt. Remember, I’m the one who was closest to him and he was an asshole. It’s always all about Blaxland, so any vestiges of loyalty or the like that you have for him, get rid of it. He’s a cunt, pure and simple.”

They were all quiet again. The prospect of coming up against their former commander was not an occurrence anyone could train for. They would all do it, of course, but it was almost like fighting family or close friends.

“Well, we all know how he plays,” said Hansen. “He’s full of tricks and I’m sure he hasn’t shown us all of them.”

He looked to Bonnie. He wanted more from her. He needed more from her, but she was just standing to the side of the rest of the group, her face cold and impassive.

You need her.

I know that.

Well you’d better fucking sort it out.

I will.

“Ok,” continued Hansen, “so we set the lab up, fit it out, do the work and then see how we can distribute the results. We have to keep the government and Blaxland distracted, so that means some of us will have to think of a plan that takes them away from where we are.”

He paused for a moment, looking at all of his team except for the missing Jimmy. He was so proud of them all. Each of them would give their life for the other. He could not have wished for more.

"What do you think?" asked Carl.

Hansen paused for a moment and then his face broke out in a grin.

Oh no.....

Oh yes!

"Well," he said. "You all know me and what I do when I'm confronted by enemy attack."

Carl whistled.

Laura clapped.

Mrs. Chan sighed.

"Looks like we better start resourcing more firepower...." said Finley.

Hansen nodded.

"I say we go after the drug companies that created this virus in the first place," he said. "We find their executives and their board members. One by one, not all of them at a time. We make them stew. We make them scared. We make them distract Blaxland. Without Blaxland, those weak bastards couldn't pull the skin off a baked custard."

"A baked custard?" said Laura, one eyebrow raised. "You used to be so inspirational. Baked custard?"

Everyone laughed and Hansen smiled.

"Well, you know what I mean," he said. "They'll be all over the general to protect their asses. That'll mean less looking for the lab and more looking for us. And we won't exactly be hiding."

"Jesus fucking Christ, I love you," said Laura.

Hansen laughed.

“You just love mayhem. We also have to work out how we can make the biggest public noise about this. Maybe we can get our apathetic brothers and sisters in society to think for once in their meaningless lives. Jimmy will work out how to do that. We can jam state television and communications.”

There was still one thing on his mind and Carl articulated it.

“What about Simon’s family?” he said. “Are we sure they’re safe?”

Hansen looked towards Mrs. Chan.

“I was hoping….”

The old woman waved her hand at him and smiled. She turned to Victor and her son nodded.

“It’s done,” she said.

“Thank you,” he said. “I’ll send someone else too from one of the rebel groups, they owe me a lot of favours, but we don’t need to tell them what we’re doing. I'll trust you to sort it out.”

Victor nodded. "Yes, Liam."

Mrs. Chan's hand quickly slapped him on the back of the head and he winced.

"Er....yes, Mr. Hansen."

Everyone laughed.

You’re spreading yourself thin, mate.

I know.

Looking after the scientists, the scientist’s family. Going after the drug corporations and you also have to create distractions.

We are the best, you should know that by know.

Even the best lose when they bite off more than they can chew.

Scaredy cat.

“So,” said Hansen, “do we involve other rebels to help us cause the distractions or do we keep it in house?”

Laura shook her head. “I don’t trust anyone else. I say we keep it in house.”

Most of the others shook their heads. They wanted it kept to them. Hansen understood. They only trusted each other.

Bonnie shifted from her stance leaning against the wall.

“The fact that you’re asking that,” she said, “means you don’t think we’re up to this or you’ve gone soft? Which is it?”

He looked at her. There was a collective intake of breath and the room became quiet.

Gone soft?

His brow furrowed and then he noticed her lips twitch. She was almost turning the corners of her mouth up. She was about to smile.

“Gone soft?” he said.

This time she did smile and the atmosphere in the room instantly became lighter.

He didn’t know why he did it, but in front of everyone, he walked over to Bonnie and leaned down and gave her a light kiss on the lips.

“Thank you,” he whispered through his lips and into her mouth.

He stepped back quickly and in the corners of her green eyes he could see small tears starting to build. She was blushing as she looked at him warmly with those intelligent eyes. Your welcome they said.

Hansen felt better.

That wasn't so hard was it?

It's Bonnie.

She's yours.

She's not anyone's.

You can't give back what you've been given.

Hansen looked at her quickly again. Her face had returned to normal.

“Let’s eat,” he said to the room, “and then my favourite doctor can explain how she’s going to operate on Emma and me.” He looked at Laura then back to Emma. “And I’m sure you’re going to be happy to finally be unshackled from me. My snoring must be killing you!”

Hansen felt himself tingling. This was all finally going to go down and the only thing in doubt was the outcome.

Feels good doesn’t it?

I guess.

I guess? You were made for this.

Made for this?

Stop repeating what I say. You were made for this.

Made for this.....?

Last edited:
Emma flushed, biting her tongue so that she didn't respond with an obvious jab that they hadn't slept enough yet together for her to notice and when they did, both had been too exhausted to do anything but sink into blissful sleep. Her body tingled and clenched, wishing she could move closer and wrap her arms around him. But he had to keep up appearances and Bonnie would probably short circuit at that little scene.

Food was passed around generously as everyone talked. She and Simon bent their heads close, catching up and making plans. It was decided that she would concentrate on the formula while he worked to fix things up and then together they would work on creating it. “You can count on Mrs. Chan making sure your family is safe. You can count on all of them.”

He nodded, rolling his shoulders to ease the tension there. “I know...I just wish they were here right now. I would feel better if I were nearby, even though logically I know that I can't really provide the sort of protection they need.”

Emma nodded in understanding and smiled, pushing against his shoulder gently. “I know what you mean. It'll be alright. One way or another.”

He agreed, but Emma knew he was still worried. As they all were about different things. Still as things wound down, Mrs. Chan gave our hugs, pulling Victor along. Carl and the rest of the gang soon excused themselves also. They had things to do, people to contact and a shit load of amo to stock up on. Bonnie didn't look all too thrilled to be leaving, but with Carl's meaty hand on her back, he gently, but firmly steered her up the stairway. Laura hung back, the room feeling rather empty now.

“Well well...looks like we're in for a threesome kiddies.” She chirped and Emma found herself rolling her eyes.

She watched a slow grin slip across Liam's mouth and shot him a warning glare. He shrugged it off as she settled her gaze on the doc. “It's that bad that everyone left so they wouldn't hear the gory details?”

Laura laughed, “Could be...I won't lie. It won't be terribly pleasant, but then again. Not like blowing up some SPFs or knocking teeth in.” She sighed wistfully and Emma laughed, moving to sit beside Liam on the edge of his bed, her hand instantly finding his own to link fingers. With Laura she felt differently now. The doc wasn't as much of a threat as Bonnie, but she still needed the comfort of Liam's strength and heat.

“So...when are we doing this and how? Obviously I need all my faculties and so does Liam if we're going to get anything done. What are the risks?”

“To be honest, your guess is as good as mine. I've never performed the procedure before. Usually people go boom before anyone gets to them in time...situations like this one are rare...”

Emma squeezed his hand, feeling his fingers flex around her own. This wasn't what she wanted to hear. Didn't want to be Laura's guinea pig, but what choice did they truly have?

They were alone now. Emma was sitting next to him on the bed, discussing the procedure with Laura. He knew it wouldn’t be that bad. He knew what real pain felt like and this wouldn’t be close. Real pain wasn’t even physical. No, losing something you love, something you valued above even your own life, that was real pain.

Pain that never stopped.

As the two women were talking, he felt Emma’s hand slide into his and gave it a small squeeze. She was very close to him, her warmth radiating on to the side of his body, her hand in his….

You’re going to make me sick. Holding hands like a love struck kid.

Oh. You didn’t leave with the others.

Don’t be a smart ass, it doesn’t become you. At least, the smart part doesn’t….

Well, you’re here too then. Feel free to help out whenever you want.

The scientist and Laura seem to get on alright and they both like you, maybe….

Don’t be disgusting!

Just don’t let the pretty little scientist take your mind from the main game.

Never thought of it as a game.

It is. Just the stakes are higher, that’s all. You have to let her and her friend finish off the vaccine.

I know that, mate. What do you think we’ve been doing for the last twenty four hours while you’ve been hiding in my head?

Just let her do it.

I will….

He heard his name. It was Emma.

“So...when are we doing this and how? Obviously I need all my faculties and so does Liam if we're going to get anything done. What are the risks?”

Hansen didn’t think the procedure would be much at all, it was just the women talking medical procedures and getting a kick out of it. Shit, it was only a small transponder the size of a small ball bearing. If he could reach it, he would have dug the thing out himself.

“To be honest, your guess is as good as mine,” said Laura, her brow furrowed. “I've never performed the procedure before. Usually people go boom before anyone gets to them in time...situations like this one are rare...”

“Well,” said Hansen. “Do we have to do it? The shackles are tiny and under our skin. What harm is there in leaving them there?”

Laura sighed.

“Um….we don’t really know, but Victor did say there would be nothing stopping the SPFs from reactivating them remotely once the confusion from our attack comes down.”

“Ok, then it’s best to get it done?” he said, looking sideways at Emma with a comforting glance.

“I’d think so,” said Laura. “Just to be sure.”

They were all silent for a moment. Then Laura spoke again.

“So….do you have anything strong, like whiskey or vodka?”

Hansen frowned at her. “You think we’ll need to anaesthetize ourselves?” He looked at Emma again, his eyes wider, his look less comforting. “It’ll hurt that much?”

“Fuck no,” said Laura, “I’ve never done this before. I need to calm my nerves.”

Hansen rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Great.”

That’s my girl.

Yeah.

Hehehehe.

Back