sexual groundhogs day

hpycpl

Literotica Guru
We are all familiar with the groundhogs day scenario, what if our MC sees it as an opportunity to have his way with everyone in the town and suffer no repercussions the next day?

The possibilities are endless. every kink or fetish can be had.

He can find out about the church lady's secret kinks or how the town bully is really a cuck or anything you can imagine!

Indeed, the "go crazy" phase of the circular day exploration almost necessarily involves all kinds of sexual debauchery. To add to it, it could be so the apparent "solution" to the cycle (the "perfect" day that ends the cycle) involves not only the protagonist getting a desired partner, but also setting up several other seemingly unlikely couples; possibly, exposing some cheating, and so on.

Fantastic ideas so far. Hope you follow through on them. Would love to read the results.

All fine providing you can believe in the scenario.
Well, it's a glitch in the simulation. Do-overs, of with Groundhog Day is an extreme variety, doesn't require "true" time travel, only information transfer between characters in different timelines. The story necessarily center on a character whose memory is tampered with before each iteration, or there was no story: characters that start the day in the same state every time are simply unaware of the repetition.

The hardest thing to believe is exact repetition of events unless distributed by the protagonist, requiring very high levels of determinism. I would expect all sorts of random stuff going on, lottery tickets to never repeat, soccer matches play out differently, basketball game exact results never be same, all while the principal themes might as well hold well enough for a day to be predictable.

The simulation may restart from latest snapshot because an unacceptable state has been recognized. In that case, our protagonist is basically tasked with saving the world in a way and means they may never recognize or realize. The true exit trigger -- if there's even one -- may be breeding a certain girl just as well as preventing certain bird from eating a certain insect, or any combination of seemingky utterly insignificant things. Or saying it blandly, some player of the game "Life on Earth" is trying to cheat by savescumming. Not necessarily the "true" player behind the protagonist as an avatar, but that's certainly a possibility.

And if not, and the modifications to the protagonist's memory is just a side effect, the actual exit conditions may be far outside of their reach and awareness and thus the cycle ends just randomly from their point of view. I would certainly be worried about such if found myself in that position, that any repeated may be last repeated day; or that while the probability of consequences seems very low after few years of same day, that probability is never exactly zero. Although, after a while, even taking consequences for a mad killing spree might seem better than another repeat.

A fun story premise. Limitless cycles of the day to portray; it could go on indefinitely.

I’d vote for some drama, whereby another character enters the same day/cycle, but only has eyes for the MC, thereby serving as a disrupter.

Well, it's a glitch in the simulation. Do-overs, of with Groundhog Day is an extreme variety, doesn't require "true" time travel, only information transfer between characters in different timelines. The story necessarily center on a character whose memory is tampered with before each iteration, or there was no story: characters that start the day in the same state every time are simply unaware of the repetition.

The hardest thing to believe is exact repetition of events unless distributed by the protagonist, requiring very high levels of determinism. I would expect all sorts of random stuff going on, lottery tickets to never repeat, soccer matches play out differently, basketball game exact results never be same, all while the principal themes might as well hold well enough for a day to be predictable.

The simulation may restart from latest snapshot because an unacceptable state has been recognized. In that case, our protagonist is basically tasked with saving the world in a way and means they may never recognize or realize. The true exit trigger -- if there's even one -- may be breeding a certain girl just as well as preventing certain bird from eating a certain insect, or any combination of seemingky utterly insignificant things. Or saying it blandly, some player of the game "Life on Earth" is trying to cheat by savescumming. Not necessarily the "true" player behind the protagonist as an avatar, but that's certainly a possibility.

And if not, and the modifications to the protagonist's memory is just a side effect, the actual exit conditions may be far outside of their reach and awareness and thus the cycle ends just randomly from their point of view. I would certainly be worried about such if found myself in that position, that any repeated may be last repeated day; or that while the probability of consequences seems very low after few years of same day, that probability is never exactly zero. Although, after a while, even taking consequences for a mad killing spree might seem better than another repeat.

Sorry but to me this is over-analysis of what is basically a simple question: can a reader suspend his/her disbelief on the matter, at least to the point where he/she can happily identify with the MC and therefore believe in what's happening and enjoy the plot?

Without that, your story loses any thinking reader.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying: it depends. I enjoyed the film... but as the comedy it was intended to be, never really believing in the plot. Maybe you were different.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying: it depends. I enjoyed the film... but as the comedy it was intended to be, never really believing in the plot. Maybe you were different.
Well, it's an extreme "what if?" I can easily enjoy a "what if?" even if the premise is obviously absurd. Maybe you are different.

I think we take different values of "believing" here. Then, as I pointed out, interpretation where no causality is actually broken by providing seemingly prescient knowledge to a character is possible, so technically it should be possible.

But you're actually right, that is entirely meta discussion and besides the actual story. Or only tangentially connected as far as the author should maintain a concept of what happens on the cosmological level for the in-story effects of their chosen interpretation. Just I have had multiple discussions on the concept in different places and that's my interpretation.

Sorry but to me this is over-analysis of what is basically a simple question: can a reader suspend his/her disbelief on the matter, at least to the point where he/she can happily identify with the MC and therefore believe in what's happening and enjoy the plot?

Without that, your story loses any thinking reader.

Yes and, as is well known, comedy destroys erotic tension.

Similarly, I think your point in a nutshell might be that outlandish starting points do nothing for drawing the reader in, i.e. as a writer you've shot yourself in the foot at the very start as regards convincing the reader that the erotic moments (or anything else) are real.

Yes and, as is well known, comedy destroys erotic tension.
WHAAAAATT???? Strongly disagree with this statement. I try to include some humor in all of my stories, and I still think they are sufficiently erotic. Maybe not at the same time, but they happily coexist in the same story.

And the fact that the movie was so successful and is still being talked about all these years later, pretty much proves that audiences can indeed accept the premise and all that flows from it.

WHAAAAATT???? Strongly disagree with this statement. I try to include some humor in all of my stories, and I still think they are sufficiently erotic. Maybe not at the same time, but they happily coexist in the same story.

And the fact that the movie was so successful and is still being talked about all these years later, pretty much proves that audiences can indeed accept the premise and all that flows from it.

Have you ever tried to maintain an erection while laughing? The erotic tension required IS destroyed. Case duly rested.

Have you ever tried to maintain an erection while laughing?
Huh? Absolutely. And definitely have "even" got hard while laughing. Never seen those as exclusive. There's so many sexual jokes for reason. Some are weapon grade double use commodity. And... you really have never laughed during sex? What dull life you must have.

Nobody's suggesting you can't have humour as part of an erotic story... just like it's possible to work in social commentary, political bias, moral messages, satire of all kinds etc. etc. Yes, even science fiction and fantastical "what ifs". Yes, you can.

The question is: what purpose would be served by this as far as the erotic content of the story is concerned?

In other words, does any of this render the erotic heart of the story (assuming, of course, that eroticism IS your main objective - see title of website) any more believable, more exciting, more personal etc? Or, does its existence merely serve to distract and thereby DEtract from it?

I see no point in what appears to be deliberately aimed unpleasantness. The expression of most views is permitted here. And for what it's worth, I'm with Liverpool on this... the two mechanisms do seem to me to be mutually antagonistic and I suspect the vast majority would agree.

Back to the premise.

I like the idea of a montage like there was in the movie, only instead of trying to get a kiss from Andie MacDowell he's in bed with someone trying to find out her limits.

"Want to try anal?"

"No!"

[next day]

"Your friend's cute, you ever think about a three-way?"

"Pig!" [slap]

[next day]

"I brought some rope."

"Hmmm..."

All hail the mighty Carnevil... he who can carry on fucking in the middle of a good old, thunderous belly laugh...

Bow down, all ye lesser mortals...

I find it funny that this story premise is coming up so long after the movie. For whatever reason I had a similar thought, so much so that I currently have four chapters published on here about this very situation.

I am by no means an academic, therefore I do not try to answer questions about the universe or the readers’ believability in the premise in the stories themselves. If the reader has any idea about the premise, it’s already a given that this is fictional work, for entertainment purposes only, and not to be taken too seriously.

Part of the reason I decided to write this series using this premise is to be able to already have an establishment of people and places but am now able to reach into different categories without the need to create a whole new set of characters each time.

There is a little bit of repetitiveness at the beginning of each new chapter which I find necessary, especially when crossing into different categories due to assuming that not everyone will read all the previous chapters, especially if previous chapters fall into categories that the readers have no interest in. But such is the nature of this particular venture.

Am I still making sense? It feels like I am, but looking back it doesn’t seem like I’m still making sense. Maybe I should quit while I’m ahead.

I am by no means an academic, therefore I do not try to answer questions about the universe or the readers’ believability in the premise in the stories themselves. If the reader has any idea about the premise, it’s already a given that this is fictional work, for entertainment purposes only, and not to be taken too seriously.

My highlights.

Just how serious is erotic writing? In its very essence, I mean.

This relates to the humour thing just discussed. There is a very substantial school of thought which says that lack of realism in any kind of fiction leads to lack of conviction in its readership and hence affects adversely "the message" which the writer is trying to convey.

When that message is an attempt to stimulate the reader erotically (a serious matter in the minds of most rational people), then it follows logically that almost all other aspects which do not reinforce the realism of the story are at best extraneous and at worst, as in the case of humour, directly antithetical.

Post 14 is correct in its analysis that self-evidently you can write a piece of fiction which has all kinds of elements. As you have said, this would be for general "entertainment". Fair enough. BUT those same rational people viewing this website would say that its main focus is on stories where the erotic content has supremacy, in which case the risks of including these other elements must surely be borne in mind.

We are all familiar with the groundhogs day scenario, what if our MC sees it as an opportunity to have his way with everyone in the town and suffer no repercussions the next day?

The possibilities are endless. every kink or fetish can be had.

He can find out about the church lady's secret kinks or how the town bully is really a cuck or anything you can imagine!
I just wanted to say that I really like this scenario in general. My gosh, I would do lots of things if trapped in this loop.:love:

A fun story premise. Limitless cycles of the day to portray; it could go on indefinitely.

I’d vote for some drama, whereby another character enters the same day/cycle, but only has eyes for the MC, thereby serving as a disrupter.
This actually reminds me of another time loop film called Map of Tiny Perfect Things where a guy is caught in a time loop and then sees someone else also caught in "his" loop but comes to realise that it's not his loop at all, it's hers. He's just the catalyst for what she needs to do to break the loop.

With that and your suggestion in mind, maybe the "way out" is realising that he's actually meant to be with the disruptor, not any of the who-knows-how-many other people he keeps trying to/successfully sleeps with.

This actually reminds me of another time loop film called Map of Tiny Perfect Things where a guy is caught in a time loop and then sees someone else also caught in "his" loop but comes to realise that it's not his loop at all, it's hers. He's just the catalyst for what she needs to do to break the loop.

With that and your suggestion in mind, maybe the "way out" is realising that he's actually meant to be with the disruptor, not any of the who-knows-how-many other people he keeps trying to/successfully sleeps with.
Yup. Exactly what I was thinking, you just said it (er.. I mean spelled it) out loud!

can a reader suspend his/her disbelief
This is pretty much the author's job.

And, no, they're not going to succeed so that all readers will suspend disbelief, some readers simply won't appreciate the premise no matter what, but the authorship will make all the difference to the success of such a story working or failing in general.

Back