Sell me your story with a tagline

You're on your deathbed. We can grant you your greatest desire, but this will be the last thing you remember!

Here's two:

First cousins, Once clothes removed.

A walk in the bush, a hand in the shorts.

One that I actually used and liked did not generate much attention.
"He's a telepath; she casts illusions. They fight crime!"
Possibly the reference is too obscure. It's also in SF/F, which is not known for high readership numbers. Shortly after I posted it I commented here somewhere that if it got 2000 views I'd call it lucky. It's at 1999 currently. :rolleyes: :LOL:
https://www.literotica.com/s/the-case-of-the-cursed-camera

But I already got the coveted two thousandth view!

I find the tag lines or short descriptions particularly difficult to get right. I think if it's too vague, it doesn't draw in readers, but if it's too direct, it doesn't fit the tone of the story itself.

I don't have a good one to share but I'm definitely reading this thread for inspiration.

So I should contribute something. For my upcoming Esther Smith's Confessions, something like this: Esther reveals her youthful secrets. (What's the Lit length limit: 35 characters?)

It will be clear who Esther Smith was. Not only is there a boy next door, there is also a girl down the block who plays an even bigger role. I should look at Google street view and pick a Kensingston Avenue address for that young lady too.

Thing is, do you want to encourage people to click on your story then click straight out again (possibly via the one-star button) when it's not what they hoped for?

Depends how likely the audience is to be persuaded, I suppose.

I agree rhetorical questions can work well, like Educating Laura ch.3 "He's not seriously organising a threesome in a tent – is he?"

Of course he is. But why and how? I actually got nearly twice the readers for ch.5 than ch.4 (both in Group) - the former tagline is "Four staff, one large tent, new experiences for them all."

Whereas ch.4 mentions names and feelings and (intentionally) only gets readers of the series clicking, because people wanting sex would only be disappointed.

Generally can't be too obvious. One of my favourites is EC, Chaperoning Matthew - the intrigue is in the title. Why? How?
The tagline is simply: "Four bisexuals get very drunk." The content is exactly that.

"I want to be more than a prop in her commemorative pictures" (In Romance).

"Naughty girls get more than they bargained for." (NC/R, Christmas)

"He was just a reflection in the glass, a black silhouette.". This one performed relatively poorly, probably because it was miscategorized, but I like that tag line a lot.

Tentative one for a WIP: "Two girls teach ex cult member what a woman is."

"A good mother believes in sharing."

Likely tag for my next story.

Click here for free hookers booze and drugs.

Seriously, some tips.

1 ~ Remember that your title and description are seen together and can work together. If your title is arty, metaphoric or otherwise vague, be more direct in your description. Candlewax and Moonlight ~ An impregnation ritual in the witching hour comes. Inversely, if your title is direct you can get more arty with the description. Orgy on the Beach ~ A group makes waves of their own. Readers generally want to know what they're getting into so make sure that either your title or your description tells them what the kink(s) is/are.

2 ~ Don't waste your description with redundancy. Girl Next Door ~ The girl next door pays a visit. The description here just repeats what the title indicates. The reader reads your title and thinks "Hrm, tell me more," and you totally epicly fail to tell him more. You just lost a click.

3 ~ Use a blatantly sexy word or three somewhere in your title or description. The Best Cocksucker on Campus ~ The girls in the dorm put their blowjob skills to the test. 'Cocksucker' and 'blowjob' will bring the readers in. If you can use 'fuck' or 'pussy' or 'cum' or 'sex' in some way and it's appropriate for the tone of the story then go for it.

4 ~ If your story is a stroke sheet, be especially blatant about it. Stroke readers don't care about your plot and don't mind spoilers. Whack them over the head with your content. My Mom Has Big Tits ~ I was playing xbox when Mom shoved her tits in my face. or I Knocked up My Sister ~ My sister wanted a baby and I gave her one.

5 ~ On the other hand, if your story has plot, don't spoil. Plot readers do care about your plot and don't want a spoiler. Home on the Range ~ Two ranch hands find love and ride into the sunset. That just gave away the ending. Home on the Range ~ Ranch hands ride together and find intimacy on the frontier. That's much better.

6 ~ Be mindful of category. If you're publishing in anal, everyone knows that the story will center on anal sex so you have more leeway, but if you're publishing in fetish the audience is wider and you have to tell them something more specific. Ten Little Piggies ~ I love my girlfriend's toes. This will bring in the feet people and let the bathroom crowd know that there's no pee nor poop.

If you think that some of these examples are a bit weak, they probably are. They were all ass pulls as I typed this up.

“Garden party with a swing. Swinging party with a garden.” link

“The lesser known risks of acting upon a dare.” link

“Twenty years of petty bickering finally pays off.” link

I thought mine were funnier but they’re really not now that I look at them. Oh well. They work better with the titles than on their own.

Like this one:

Pussyberry Smoothie
My favorite berry flavored beverage.

Without the title the tag line is just meh. Super proud of that title though.

Last edited:
“Garden party with a swing. Swinging party with a garden.” link

“The lesser known risks of acting upon a dare.” link

“Twenty years of petty bickering finally pays off.” link

I thought mine were funnier but they’re really not now that I look at them. Oh well. They work better with the titles than on their own.

Like this one:

Pussyberry Smoothie
My favorite berry flavored beverage.

Without the title the tag line is just meh. Super proud of that title though.
All gems IMO

In all seriousness, I have a story planned entitled: The worst story ever.

The tag line will be: Don't read this story - you will fucking hate it.

This reminds me of that famous Altoids billboard, that said, "Maybe you should practice on other mints first."

Back