Running out of steam

Like many here, it happens to me too, sometimes weeks, sometimes months. I have about 100 or so stories I've started and from time to time I'll go back and read a few. Sometimes they hit me the right way and kick my writing into gear. Sometimes I read them and go, "WTF???" and they go bye, bye to the ether gods or wherever deleted things go.

As a hobby writer, I write on my terms in my time. This gives me the freedom to write what I want when I want. Because of that, stress about an unfinished story is nonexistent. I are a lazy bastard at times and be okay with that.

Comshaw

Last edited:
Can totally relate at the moment.

Several stories, some partly written, some just ideas. All of them stalled.

Had one jump out at me and started strong but then just trickled to a halt.

Can't force these things. Best we can do is not stress over it too much.

Sounds familiar. I think it was about a year, year and a half between my story The White Room and when I finally came up with the sequel.
Yeah, the path our shared hobby takes is definitely not linear. That' a good thing, I think. Can't count how many ideas I've gotten for stalled stories when working on something else.

Hi, it looks like you're new to internet forums! Would you like some help?
Actually, I wouldn't say he's new to the forums. Anyway, Rob, I've noted how long it takes to write a story or essay. It takes more patience then I had expected. Usually they can't just be churned out in a week or two. I just write or edit when I feel like it. I work on it and then I stop when I think I'm done. It's taken me a couple of days to write 1,500 words, but it will be there tomorrow.

It took me a year to get back to the last chapter of a series on another site, and that was only 4,000 words.

I just started to get back into a writing mood after two heart surgeries when COVID hit me. Now that's gone and I'm dealing with a pulled groin muscle and arthritis flare-ups. The stories I started will be there later. Or not, and I'll think of something new.

My advice would be to pace yourself.

Write down any ideas that you have for a story, and then let it sit for a while.

That way you don't stretch yourself too thin.

I hope that you're able to find a way out, that is suitable for you.

Good luck.

Looking at my own publication dates, I will go months between submissions, then rattle off several in short order. There are precious few folks who can just sit and write non stop on a regular basis. Take a break, re-read some favorites, read some new stuff (I mean, I have a link in my sig for starters...) and I will bet you find yourself re-inspired in short order.

So I submitted my 19th story yesterday and I feel I'm running out of steam. When I started this, I thought I had about 3 stories in me and once that itch was scratched I'd be done here. But no.

But now I have about eight stories started that I'm sort of "meh" about, and none that I'm really into right now. I'm sort of in a 'blah' state if that makes any sense. I've got three pages of story ideas, but I'm just not fired up to write. It might be time to just step back from the keyboard and just work on plotting for a while. A few weeks of brainstorming to recharge the batteries. Hopefully, it will help me get those WIPs back to where I'm excited about them.

I'm not looking for advice or sympathy. I know the way my mind works after being an artist for so long. I'll take a mental break whether it's a week or a few months, and then I'll get an idea and I'll be off and running again.

I hope everyone is doing well and I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone Happy Holidays. I'm looking forward to a new year of sexy stories from everyone. Be well.
We don't get paid, and nobody's paying = zero pressure! Put your feet up, and await the return of your muse. Happy Holidays to you too.

I used to have a statement in my profile that said, "I write during the winter when it's cold a dreary out. I'm an outdoorsy type of person, and when the weather warms, I'd rather be outside doing things."

It's still true, but I have been writing when the weather has been nice. I, too, have quite a few partially written stories and a few I've been asked by readers to finish. I have a hard time getting back into some of my characters' minds to finish those stories.

Right now, I'm on a break because Lit has sent back a chapter due to 'AI', and I'm rewriting parts of it. I'm also submitting edits to one, which will make it conform to Lit's policies. Somehow, five chapters passed inspection and were published with the faux pas.

Traveling, cataract surgery, and not being in the mood to write have slowed me down also.

Take a break, relax, and write when you're in the mood.

Back