Running out of steam

Rob_Royale

with cheese
So I submitted my 19th story yesterday and I feel I'm running out of steam. When I started this, I thought I had about 3 stories in me and once that itch was scratched I'd be done here. But no.

But now I have about eight stories started that I'm sort of "meh" about, and none that I'm really into right now. I'm sort of in a 'blah' state if that makes any sense. I've got three pages of story ideas, but I'm just not fired up to write. It might be time to just step back from the keyboard and just work on plotting for a while. A few weeks of brainstorming to recharge the batteries. Hopefully, it will help me get those WIPs back to where I'm excited about them.

I'm not looking for advice or sympathy. I know the way my mind works after being an artist for so long. I'll take a mental break whether it's a week or a few months, and then I'll get an idea and I'll be off and running again.

I hope everyone is doing well and I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone Happy Holidays. I'm looking forward to a new year of sexy stories from everyone. Be well.

So I submitted my 19th story yesterday and I feel I'm running out of steam. When I started this, I thought I had about 3 stories in me and once that itch was scratched I'd be done here. But no.
I know how you feel. My 1,506th story (across two accounts) posted today and last night I was searching my brain for a story idea that would be knew and different and didn't come up with anything (yet). At times like this I switch to thinking of something to do in the mainstream until the erotica muse kicks in.

At times like this I switch to thinking of something to do in the mainstream until the erotica muse kicks in.
I am so wrapped up in mainstream stuff right now that piddling around in the forums occasionally is the best that I can do as far as contributions to Literotica are concerned.

I have plenty of ideas for stories but my bandwidth has to be dedicated to the non-erotic arena right now.

But now I have about eight stories started that I'm sort of "meh" about, and none that I'm really into right now. I'm sort of in a 'blah' state if that makes any sense. I've got three pages of story ideas, but I'm just not fired up to write. It might be time to just step back from the keyboard and just work on plotting for a while. A few weeks of brainstorming to recharge the batteries. Hopefully, it will help me get those WIPs back to where I'm excited about them.

I'm not looking for advice or sympathy. I know the way my mind works after being an artist for so long. I'll take a mental break whether it's a week or a few months, and then I'll get an idea and I'll be off and running again.

I hope everyone is doing well and I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone Happy Holidays. I'm looking forward to a new year of sexy stories from everyone. Be well.
It comes and goes. Take a break, and don't even look at any story for a bit until you have some idea come to you or some inspiration.

Writing is supposed to be for fun, eh?

work through the meh, until it become an unghh and then another meh after that, until you reach "HENNnyway..." and carry on with renewed vigour

I get that too. I've got a bit of it right now. Often it happens because I'm sort of forcing myself to work on a specific story I want to finish, and it's just not doin it for me anymore. I allow myself a few days - maybe a week - off if needed, but if that goes too long then I start to hate that I'm not writing. What I usually do then if I'm still not into the project is to pivot to something else, maybe something new. Something that's hopefully fun to write, even if I don't have any grand plans for it.

Often it's the erotica I pivot to when my other stuff is stagnating, but that can go both ways.

I think it's natural with any creative endeavor to hit the wall for a bit.
Seems like there are some artists who are a bottomless well of ideas, then there are all the mortals who struggle.
I saw an interview with a singer/songwriter and they asked him about writing songs for other people. His response was "Hell no, I struggle to write enough stuff for myself."
Billy Joel switched to writing classical music because he felt like he'd told all the stories he wanted to tell.

I am so wrapped up in mainstream stuff right now that piddling around in the forums occasionally is the best that I can do as far as contributions to Literotica are concerned.

I have plenty of ideas for stories but my bandwidth has to be dedicated to the non-erotic arena right now.
Please don't piddle in this forum. We've only just cleaned the room!

Happy Holidays Rob! Enjoy your recharging time.

But now I have about eight stories started that I'm sort of "meh" about, and none that I'm really into right now. I'm sort of in a 'blah' state if that makes any sense. I've got three pages of story ideas, but I'm just not fired up to write.
Yep, it goes that way sometimes. I think I wrote about 20ish stories in total (that were either on Lit or published through connections found here) before other kinds of writing became the priority. I have another 7-8 ideas brewing at any given time but haven't felt the urgency to actually execute them. I might well never do so. I'm okay with that.

Whether you do or don't get back into this particular kind of writing groove, I hope you wind up doing something you enjoy. Happy Holidays!

Yep, I think that happens to everyone. When we get tired of writing about sex, there's nothing left to do but have some real sex until the mental erection springs back to life.

Sometimes I'll get in a rut and I can't write. Either I step away until I get inspired, or I push myself to write something just to keep writing.

Whatever you decide, I do hope you get back to it at some point.

I hope you and your family have a great Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Back