Romance-Keeping them apart

LargoKitt

Experienced
I just read the new story Beneath the Watchful Ginkgoes by OneHitWanda. It is masterfully written, with well-drawn characters and a slow build to the sex; establishing a relationship first. Two things puzzle me about this story. Much of it is very sad, at least two hanky. And the sadness affects and stymies the main characters. I'd love to hear from other readers about why they are entertained by sad stories. Does it make you feel sad? How is it fulfilling to go to that sad place?

The second question is about the classic romance trope found here. You have two characters, mad for each other, but they have to stay apart from each other, not because of walls, or oceans, or politics but mostly because the fear of being hurt overwhelms the possibility of being happy. So they stay hurt in order not to be hurt. And maybe they hurt each other more so they won't be hurt. But what puzzles me is that for many readers this is just SO sexy. It really stirs the blood. So, simple question: Why is being apart more emotionally fulfilling than being together? Anticipation is hotter than fulfillment?

Anticipation is hotter than fulfillment?
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I mean, these stories are published in Lesbian Sex, so we know there's going to be Lesbian Sex. And when you start a story with two lesbian characters, there needs to be an obstacle (or four, or five) for them to overcome. Though, personally, I find stories about previously straight girls coming to grips with their sexuality just as affecting.

Biologically speaking, crying releases oxytocin, the same hormone released during orgasm. So crying actually makes you feel good, long term.

I've got a whole LIST of tearjerkers in my signature below if this is your kind of thing. It's definitely mine.

It wouldn't be a lesbian romance without some drama. Some roadblocks to get past.
I am an enormous fan of Onehitwanda. I love her stories. I don't read them because they're full of sexual content.
I read her work for one reason. She stirs emotions, joy mixed with absolute sorrow. The road she describes with carefully chosen prose is why I stay enthralled.
Her work isn't something you read and walk away from. You read unable to look away until you reach the end.
Expectation, anticipation as @THBGato explains is what makes these stories so wonderful.
Eroticism isn't always about A goes into B. It's got to be emotive, it has to be something that stirs us, winds our insides into tight knots. Wanting the characters to find some joy.
There can be no light without dark. It's how the writer transitions us through the shadows. Crushes us, then lifts us up.
The mark of a good writer is being able to make us feel....

Just my uneducated thoughts.
Cagivagurl

Personally, I want to feel when I read stories...and more than just arousal. It's not that I want to be sad when I read, it's that I want to have those emotions deeply stirred. Wanda has stomped on my heart and yanked at its strings so, so many times and I absolutely adore her for it. There are many other authors that have done the same and looking at THBGato's list has me nodding my head in agreement. I like to see the struggles, the challenges. So I think you summed it up well with the anticipation being hotter than the fulfillment.

Lesbian Sex, as a category, is absolutely thick with drama. There are a million reasons why @onehitwanda is the queen and the rest of us are just poking at the edges of her domain. I may be biased, but there's no drama on the planet like lesbian drama. For better or for worse, we are frequently our own worst enemies and will absolutely hurt ourselves in the present in the hopes of avoiding even worse hurt in the future. :)

Back