Rick's Rooftop...an OOC lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pen! So glad you made it up here! You know, we do serve more than coffee here - so just name your poison, er, preference! And don't be too intimidated by the conversation - all comments are welcomed and encouraged!

I am overwhelmed and flattered by the compliments, to be sure! I had never thought myself a good writer whatsoever, and it always surprises me to hear people say so. But to the "newbies" and "virgins" I can offer some advice, having been where you are now.

First, realize that you will make mistakes. And big ones. You will get the time period wrong. Or mix up characters. Or get the details wrong. It's going to happen. Hopefully, whoever you are writing with (and this includes most) will be understanding and forgiving, and will offer advice and correction with patience and consideration.

Second, don't be fearful to just jump in. Yes, it is a bit frightening when you join that first thread and you know no one on it! "Will I measure up?" "Will I be just as creative?" "Will everyone end up hating me?" "Will no one 'play' with my character?" You will find that if you are open to suggestions, try not to take over a thread, have a LOT of patience, people will be happy to accept you and play your character.

I'll share a secret with all here - when I first started posting with Ariosto? I didn't like him very much. (Ari - you know I love you to pieces!) I though his style arrogant and a bit stand offish, and rather avoided him. Shocking I know, but I was new and there were no "OOC" threads to "air" out things. Then we became involved in a thread together, and I saw a whole different side of him, and now it seems we are more in sync than not. That happens here. It's important not to judge people too quickly, or by a certain character they are protraying. Get to know the person first - through OOC threads or through PMs. You may be amazed.

Third, if you can find a mentor, and think it might help, by all means I think that is a great idea! There are many of the "oldsters" here who would gladly offer advice and assistance to those who are committed. I think it's a great idea.

Fourth, respect other's style, but never think they are better than yours. We all write differently - and differently doesn't mean better or worse. Ari has a great talent for humor. I never seem to pull that off as well as he does. It doesn't matter. Others can go into wonderfully descriptive passages that place you in the heart of the action. Others can describe a passionate scene with such steaminess that, well, you simply must take care of some personal business. But there is room for all styles, and never under-estimate your own. Each person has a contribution to make that is valid and wonderful.

Fifth, if at all possible, write a story here at Lit. Yes, it can take some time, I know. But there are some valuable lessons to be learned. One, writing for an audience that is unknown. Two, submitting your story to an editor (I HIGHLY recommend this!) who is impartial to your story, and allows you to hear good and bad regarding your story in a way that is helpful. Third, it is a bit of a thrill when your first story is published, I must admit, and it helps with the self-esteem. Fourth, you will receive anonymous feedback from the general public that can be really helpful and encouraging. All of this will help with your writing here at the SRP.

For those who felt the impact of 9/11: most of the writers here at Lit basically "shut down" for a least a week or more. I know I did. I just didn't have the heart to write erotica at that time. It was to be expected, and most writers allowed for that. But I must admit, it did feel good to "get back" with it - almost a healing process and a way of saying - "we will not crumble".

Many writers often have to leave for periods of time due to RL constraints. Hey, it happens. For the most part you will find it is not held against you if you return. We've all been there. Most writers here would say that if you feel the need to bow out, even temporarily, that it is only considerate to let your fellow writers know. A simple PM or an OOC is usually all that is needed. Given this, most will understand and move on, and welcome you back with open arms.

Ultimately, the idea here is to have fun. I have noticed quite a few very good writers sticking strictly to the OOC threads such as here or at the Cafe, seemingly "waiting". What for? Yes, those venues can be fun, but they are not threads. Get out, find new threads developing, or ask originators if you can join, and just jump right in! Sticking only to the OOC threads is not going to get you known to other writers who do not frequent the OOC threads. Only by taking that leap of faith, and jumping in and hoping for the best, will you be able to truly start working on your abilities and talents.

I get a lot of compliments, for which I am deeply grateful. But, I ask anyone here to go back to my earlier stuff (you can just press the "Search" function - and you may have to page back a bit, sorry!), and read it. It was not fully developed. There were MANY flaws, some run-ins with other characters. And this is only on the surface! You should have seen the PMs and emails!!! The point is, I didn't give up. I listened to the help that others gave, and followed the advice of older members. I also read others work, and picked out what I liked. So, please don't think of me as something, I don't know, above average. I'm just a gal who likes to write and have fun. Plain and simple. So enjoy!

Welcome Lady_Kit !!!

I would love to do a thread with you, anytime!

I'm so frustrated! I just had written the best post and hit something by accident..and its gone.

Anyway.. what I wanted to say was...

I understand exactly what you mean Kit. It took me about a week to get my bearings, develop some friendships, try out a thread, and feel my place in this 'world'..

I was different to Sexychele. I needed the OCC threads until I felt I had accomplished the above. And was grateful that they provide a forum to meet others here outside of a specific character.

PM's are the BEST! I recommended them highly !!!

It was through them that I got to know the real people, and made some introductions. I would encourage anyone new to use them. Even if just sending a 'hello'....

As far as finding a mentor. I tied myself to CG's ankles, followed him around like a puppy and begged for days.. till he finally gave in. LOL well..not really...kinda. But honestly is came from a natural conversation we started on PM's.

I love that we have avenues to express ourselves at different levels of our comfort. The cafe is a good place to try on the wings of role-play with a bit of ourselves mixed in, or vice versa. .LOL The Haven for true straight daily fun talk. And here we can be real and serious and talk about the issues we all deal with. And then the real heart of the place the characters we delve into in the threads.

As Chele said..we all start someplace. I'm here for anyone new, and I KNOW most everyone else..

Last edited:
SexyChele I have gotten comments on how people enjoy my writing. If they do it is because you have always taken the time to guide and help me.

Thank you for all the help. You are one of the folks who are responsible for it. I could not possibly list all who knowing or unknowingly have made lit such a joy for me.

Yes even our host Ari, though he may not know it. Thank you all.

Lillie you will make me blush.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I've been gone most of the day playing with 'barbies' and learning lessons in creativity from a six year old...none better to teach such things.

Chele you didn't like me!...arrogant...standoffish! Oh my...and to think I was going to ask you to help me run this little place when I'm away...
I'll ask you anyway!

Along that line I'd also like to know what you think of staffing the roof garden? It's a small place unlike the Carnivale going on downstairs.
Chele is already our piano player but how about a bartender and a waitress anyone interested? or should we just leave it all virtual.

When I came to LIT WAAAY back in April, I threw caution to the winds and leaped into a thread about Tarzan...yep, me...I was the ape man.
I found help with people no longer active, Destiny
and Mars99. They were both wonderful guides.

I think the OOCs do offer newbies an opportunity
to get to know the colorful birds who perch in this tree, but I agree with Chele you have to fledge sometime. The story threads are the heart
of the game.

What if we set up a thread just for newbies, no one allowed to play with more than say...75posts.
Some of the experienced players copuld be listed as mentors with the thread and consulted if a new player gets stuck on something.
What do you think?

And Thanks to all of you above who listed me as
being of some help in getting them started here.

Ok now...

MORE LADIES ENTRIES NEEDED FOR THE CONTEST![/b}

Gosh...I could use a drink ...Barbie!

The Contest

Standing next to foot of her brass bed, Mildred's quivering breasts lay ruched and puckered in Winston's trembling hands. She had
never felt this overpowering need before, pooling and warm at
the liquid juncture of her netherlips. He lowered his head and his chiseled lips suckled her rose tipped nipples. Her back arched bringing her straining heaving breasts even closer to his powerful lips, his teeth grazing, his mustache gently teasing her to an even
further reckless abandon. Her skin burned, filled with a desire
she'd never known, she knelt and her mouth following her heart's desire, she took his magnificent throbbing lance into her innocent mouth.

Last edited:
Contest Entry

Why had no one warned Mildred of the request he would make of his new bride this night. Almost in tears, her skin turning to goose flesh, she felt Winston's eyes on her naked back, and her own heat battled the cool night air.

Just then her beloved's arms were about her, hands cupping nubile breasts. Her hunger won out. Turning, she fell to her knees and loosed his pants with one pull of the knot. Her mouth did yearn for the tall mast that was his ardour. Fulfilling his request, she took him in one tender, ravenous mouthful.

99 words

Homage

I entered the contest after a pause to think if I should.

If I had read Mel's entry, subsequent to my reading the rules, I wouldn't have bothered. The reason I don't simply delete my entry is to provide a poor frame of competition for her work.

Melusine, I am awed and humbled.

Steamboats and white lace dresses

Miss Chele, and all at the Rooftop Lounge

I will use this post to bring a proposal to all.

What about a riverboat ride as in the yesteryears?

One of the most remarkable things in my small life was a ride on a fully restored paddlewheel steam ship. A rather large, but graceful ship, she brought back images of the grand lady she was.

Seeing as how this is a place for writers to discuss, mayhaps I could toss this out as a possible idea for a thread?

Ariosto, I could see you as a proffesional gambler on the grand vessel.

Miss Chele and Miss Mel? Grand Ladies as the game of the lifetime is being played out on the velvet table tops!

Knock it around, perhaps give it a good bashing, but tell me what you think? (Remember, what better way to serve us newbies, than to work with us and help us learn;) )

Pen

Oh my, I'm starting to have visions of "Showboat" running through my head with this one! Ava Gardner, here I come!

Personally, I think it would be a great idea. What sort of plot line are you thinking about? I don't think anyone has done anything like this either - at least not since I've been on the boards, which seems like an eternity sometimes!

So, let's develop this and see where it goes...

The River Queen

"She was the finest of the Mississippi paddle wheels, the largest and the fastest as well. Her captain kept the crew working contantly, polishing the wooden deck, imported all the way from Tahihiti and the brass rails until she shined in the morning sun."

We have a ship, and the beginnings of a cast, where do we take it from here? Is this the proper place to develop a story, or do we need to take it elsewhere. I do understand the four post limit here and do not want to abuse our host's generousity.

And speaking of that, Sir Ariosto, Have you found your frock coat and white pleted shirt? There is a table waiting in the finest floating gambling house on the river just for you.

And Miss Chele, I can't wait to see your hour glass figure in that dress as you walk across the promenade deck. Perhaps then I can spirit you away to a secluded spot and you can help me polish a few things ourselves?

I will await your words of advice on this, me mateys, and be sounding the river as I do!!!

Good morning all!
Ari, sips his mimosa and looks at the nights activities wondering how anything got done up here with the blowout taking place downstairs...

We have some new entries and some great ones for the contest. Thank you all and remember you have untill midnight tonight
to enter your submission.

Pen, I think it's a great idea. How about using it as a format to introduce new members to SRP. I will be happy to play with Chele of course any time anywhere.

You might start with an OOC thread asking especially for new members to play, and we can also promote it right here. An announcement downstairs wouldn't hurt either. How amny players do you want?....advice more than six and things start getting a bit difficult to manage more than 8 and your asking for problems.

Well it's a pretty day I wonder who'll wonder in.

Very tempting idea, Pen. As the icy rain pours down and the thermometers drop, I have to say that a vision of mint juleps and late afternoon Southern sunlight does sound like a dream come true.

I will certainly be looking at recipes for sweet potato pie as the day progresses. Maybe even cornbread.

*small glower in the direction of Ariosto*

The fresh baked buttermilk cornbread is piping hot, a light russet golden crust lies over it's moist yellow richness.
Ari lacquers it with butter and carries it over to Mel's table.

Please m'dear I could not help but notice you drooling. Let me recommend a glass of cold fresh milk with it, or perhaps you'd prefer another julip?

Pen, you are getting some of the finest ladies at LIT interested in tour thread. You need to take advantage of it.

Good morning people<

Is it too early to light up a cuban, I can stand downwind if Carmina's scent offends anyone.
I was told the Sexual Haven ooc thread was turning into a men's club. I too, could tell the flavour had become smokey, and musty even.

What better environment than a sternwheeler to excercise the masculine prerogatives of smoking, gambling, romancing? *winks at Mel, twirling my handlebar mustache*

Ariosto, as owner of this establishment, I turn to you with this mundane request, does anyone brew coffee up here?

Melusine greets the culinary offering of Ariosto with a blissful smile, and closes her eyes as she inhales deeply, the better to appreciate the piping hot aroma.

"lacquered" though, she thinks, remembering something, makes me suspect the source of this so-called "butter"

Polywog, I agree with you that the fresh air of an open steamer will do us all good. Have you given any thought to the character you would like to portray? And can I depend on you to help me lace up my corset when the time comes for the curtain to go up?

Ho ho ho ho!

Such a forward invitation my dear, and in mixed company. Perhaps I've mistaken your station. A bachelor card player like myself knows little, I assure you, of corsetry. Allow me to introduce myself, madam, Marcus W. Middleton, from Saint Louis, at your service. *tips th' top hat and bows to the lady(?)*

I am only too happy to make myself available to a lady in need, however. So, as a courtesy, of course, I can be contacted in cabin 106. That's just below the wheel house, incidently. The view from my desk is of the prow making way. You only need lean forward a bit,.. to see it all.

*turns to the other occupants of this rooftop get away*
My dear, Chele, is it? Another etherial beauty, I believe we may have met before, somewhere. Always a pleasure.

Gentlemen, the weather does not promise outdoor sport today, I'm afraid. In fact the sky is quite gloomy. I anticipate entertaining ourselves indoors all day. Luckily, I have brought a deck of cards...

*mortified, Melusine blushes*

Sorry, Polywog...I was kind of thinking of helping me in a friendly "behind the scenes, fellow actors, all for one and one for all kind of way."

*leans on her elbows and stares down at her cornbread woefully*

I never will learn to talk like a proper lady. Honestly, I am just hopeless. My mother would be appalled.

Dear Melsine,

It seems I cannot avoid causing you to pause and question your virtue.
I should have written "I know little of courtesy" not "corsetry".
I should become quite boring if I must always be begging for forgiveness. You indulge me, and I suggest, I surely belong with the newbies and ought to follow meekly where you lead. *offers Melsine the hand loop to his leash, carefully avoiding presumptuous eye contact*

btw, that's some bodacious cornbread, best I've read. I especially respect the way Ariosto whips it off the cuff and takes it for granted. What's that stuff on top?

Last edited:
*laughs softly and shakes her head*

No, you are too hard on yourself, dear Polywog. It is I who am in error here. Would it surprise you to know that I find it very hard to be flirtatious? So many ladies here have the art of seduction perfected. Their every movement, their every glance, can only enslave the man they favour. I, on the other hand, am doomed to stumble over my shoes and trip up my tongue.

Good thing we will be in the South and no doubt I can take my Mammy with me on the boat just to make sure I do not make someone so angry that they cast me overboard to feed the catfish :(

*Wishing she had the graces of a lady in a storybook*

As for what is really on this cornbread...trust me, you do not want to know.

(And that was my fourth post here for the day, so I have to hush my mouth now. Otherwise God knows what Ariosto will find to shove into it.)

Too late she realises her latest faux pas and claps both hands over her mouth

Last edited:
Good mornin' all, er, I guess that would be afternoon - sorry! Late night last night. Stayed up to watch both "The Maltese Falcon" and "To Have and Have Not". Thought of you Ari, how could I not?

Pen, I do believe you have the entire Rooftop imagining warm Southern nights and the fragrance of magnolias in bloom, as the mighty Mississip quietly moves us towards the excitement that is New Orleans. Or is that Naw'orlens? Hmmmm....looks like I may have to brush up on a Southern accent.

Pen, this is your idea, but Ari has some good advice. 4 people can make a thread interesting, 6 is a good, healthy number. 8 players is very difficult to master and really needs a firm hand and a lot of loving care to make it work. I like the idea of opening it up to "newbies". If you'd like Ari and I could be the "seasoned" players on the thread, with the rest of the cast being those with less experience. It's best if you can get even numbers of players, and it looks as though you may have 3 men already and two women, so only one more femme, and you would be set. That's a pretty good accomplishment, actually. Very good!

I would recommend setting up an OOC thread for the story - it allows characters to talk openly to each other, and allows you to make any necessary announcements to the story and/or players. If you need help with this either Ari or myself would be happy to help.

I would also recommend some sort of basic story - a riverboat running from, say, some city in the north to New Orleans. And I would pick a certain time period - hopefully well before the Civil War, to avoid conflicts with the war period.

Polywog, I don't believe that we have been properly introduced, but it is a pleasure to meet you. And how did you rack up so many posts without me knowing who you are? Hmmm...I'm becoming lax, I see.

Let's see, what is there to choose from our Sunday Brunch specials here? Cornbread, I see, always nice. And are those Hushpuppies I see over there? Ah, and there are the black-eyes peas. And must have a serving of the New Orleasn favorite of beans and rice. I can work off all this food later. Now for a nice glass of champagne before setting off to the piano....

Ok, I know another post back to back - sorry! But as I sit here (wondering if there is anyone else about) lightly playing "The Way We Were" (loved that movie!), I was thinking. Yes, I do do that on occasion, so no cracks!

I was wondering what the general consenus is on the number of posts one makes. I know that when I started here at Lit, I laughingly wanted to rid myself of the "virgin" title. Plus, it seemed that everyone had well over 500 posts, and the ones that had 3,000 or more seemed incredible. Of Renegade tops all of us - something like 14,000+ I believe? Ren, I know you pop in from time to time, so feel free to set me straight on that!

I've also seen where quite a few people are making a big deal about reaching 100 posts. I guess that is great and all, but I don't even remember my 100th post. I didn't even get an avatar until I was somewhere in the 300s, I think. (not sure) And it was certainly never noted anywhere. I do remember my 500 posts - as I was posting with the Captain at the time, and he sent me a wonderful PM congratuating me. I think Ari made a comment as well, but that was about it. Now, my 1,000th post was a big deal, but more because I made it out to be one.

So, I'm wondering. How many here place that much emphasis on the number of posts one makes? Is it indicative of a "better" poster? (I personally don't think so) Is it a sign that one is incredible creative? Or that one, as stated somewhere other than this board - the General Board, I think - has no life beyond Lit?

I know I used to wonder if I would ever make "Guru", and I wondered if I would ever make to 1,000. Now? I just don't think about. (Unless there is anyway possible to compete with Renegade - and I would have to be on Lit 24/7, posting something like 3 times a minute to even come close! You know I love ya, Ren!)

So? Any comments? Or have people taken today off?

I think...(yes I do too ..on occasion)

That anytime we get the opportunity to give a pat on the back and show support....its great.

So I think these little milestones are just that....

To some it might mean they feel more a part of the group...

To others that they do feel more ... able...

To others nothing.....

It's not world shaking.. but always a change to say.. 'good on ya' is nice thing...

Making a late appearence I see that Chele has been standing in for me...Thanks Doll.

Pen if you want to start this thread then lets do it. Cutie Lillie how about coming aboard as the other femme.
Set up an OOC as Chele suggested with an outline of the scenario
and to provide an offthread place for characters to post their descriptions and have a place for OOC discussion.

Mel I promise if you post a verbotten number 5, then the worst you can expect is a fat cigar.

Glad you all liked my cornbread. Grits in the morning!

Chele's comments about post numbers are interesting.
When she and I were breaking the 100 and 500 milestones there was no OOC Club to remark the fact.
As for avatars, I never had one. I picked one at about 1000 but mostly to give a bit of color to the Sam Spade thread I'd just started.

In three hours the contest closes by the way.
Early tomorrow I will postb all entries at a single place where they can easily be read and will give details on how the submissions will be judged.

Hey speaking of 100...The Rooftop is almost there!

I don't smoke, Ariosto, but given the permission to post a fifth time, I would feel as though I were missing out if I did not take advantage.

I guess this means I have signed on the passenger manifest for the steamboat ride down the mighty Mississippi? I hope someone remembered the life jackets.

I already have some ideas for my character, so just point me to the start of the thread and I will be ready, Pen.

Grits in the morning? You are one presumptuous man, Ariosto.

Chele, as regards the milestones, I think I would take them a lot more seriously if they reflected honest-to-goodness posts, and not just a lot of time spent in OOC channels flinging out the odd one-liner. (Not to say that anyone in present company fits that bill, but everyone knows a lot of people who do.) To me, a hundred well-written, plot-driven, in-character posts mean a lot more than a hundred drink orders and snips of flirtatious repartee. Still, since there really is no way to differentiate between the two for counting purposes, I don't think too much about it anymore. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to socializing these days, so who am I to talk? I would like to have an avatar, but really that is the only milestone I think about much. I already have one picked out and everything ;)

Now I have to figure out the mysterious Polywog, who either loves me or hates me. I cannot quite decide which. Anyone ever tell you that you write one hell of a cryptic letter, Pol?

*gives him a saucy wink*

(I guess we all know now who is going to push me overboard)

dropping in from the Cafe

*waving*

Just wanted to say hi to all... and to push the number to 100!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back