Rebooting, Stories and Writers

ScrappyPaperDoodler

Really Experienced
To say my life has experienced substantial change is really understating it. In the past few months, I haven't even thought about writing as I was constantly occupied by other pursuits: career, heading back to varsity, making new friends...

I have one series that's "incomplete" in so far as there's no final conclusion to the conflict within it. However, in my mind, it's done. It has nowhere left to go, and it's my fault for (a) planning poorly, (b) changing the plan I did have too often simply because of a comment here or a bit of feedback there, and (c) thinking too much about fun concepts and not enough about a coherent narrative.

Readers may think there's more gas in the tank, but there ain't.

As to other stories, I had a long list of ideas that excited the hell out of me. Problem number one is that I seem to have misplaced that list (oops). Problem number two is that the ones I can remember off the top of my head no longer seem that interesting.

Yet, I have an urge to read and an urge to write. I've finished more books in the last month than in the previous six and they've helped clarify my creativity and revive my interest in fiction.

So, how does one reboot? How do you flick the switch once the blackout is over and the power is back?

As always, your advice is appreciated immensely and in advance.

I'd say, start by purging your mind of all sense of obligation: "I should do this; I shouldn't do that." There is no "should."

If you are thinking to yourself, "I want to write again, but I really feel like I should finish that previous series before starting something new" -- shut that shit down! Don't get bogged down by a phony sense of obligation. You're not getting paid to do this. It should be fun. The surest way to derail your writing is to make it un-fun.

When you think about rebooting, what's the real motive? What do you want to do? Is it something you really want to do? If so, why?

Whatever the answer is, focus on that.

As a writer I go through cycles of bursts of productivity followed by slack periods. So I have to reboot myself once and a while. I've found that the best way to get up off the mat is to identify the story that I MOST want to write, and focus on writing it. That gets me going, and it sustains me until I hit another slack period.

Good luck!

As a writer I go through cycles of bursts of productivity followed by slack periods. So I have to reboot myself once and a while. I've found that the best way to get up off the mat is to identify the story that I MOST want to write, and focus on writing it. That gets me going, and it sustains me until I hit another slack period.

I very much identify with this. And to some degree, it's probably wise to embrace the slack. You probably won't always be at full productivity in anything in life - and if you try to force through it, you may just spin your wheels, waste time, and possibly burn out.

If you don't feel like writing for a while, it's most likely (in my experience) temporary and actually useful. Do other stuff, and in a few weeks start fiddling with your idea pile and see any of them get the juices flowing again.

When you think about rebooting, what's the real motive? What do you want to do? Is it something you really want to do? If so, why?
I really needed this. I know I'm not the OP, but I really needed to read these words. I've been searching for answers, but didn't really know the questions I was asking.
Whatever the answer is, focus on that.

How do you identify that story? If there are multiple ideas that excite you, how do you figure out the one that you MOST want to write?

Also, I think it's interesting how many writers I know (myself included), artists, creators...who work in bursts, in periods of intense creativity, and then go into a period of slack, as you say. Then there are those who work consistently, steadily, day after day after day... The creator who is routine and habit based (the type I sometimes wish I was).

That's really insightful and helpful, Simon. Thanks!

I think we often know something is happening as it occurs, but we still experience a moment of "realisation" down the line as though we weren't sober and aware in the moment.

We often talk about newbies (and even old hands) focusing too much on pleasing readers. I knew I was in that territory but I also thought I was contributing something unique. In retrospect, I think the unique-ness played second-fiddle to an extent that slowly drained me.

Why? What's behind the impulse?

I guess it's twofold on my part: (1) avoid negative commentary and (2) become "popular."

It turns out that's not the way the cookie crumbles... You can't create something that is objectively good to the extent that no one will dislike it. You also can't become popular cranking out stories that play it safe.

Whatever the next story is going to be, I want to "be myself" with it.

How do you identify that story? If there are multiple ideas that excite you, how do you figure out the one that you MOST want to write?

I try to put aside all external motivations, like "I should publish something for that contest!" or "I need to finish that series!" and I try to focus instead on what gives me pleasure to write. Usually, if I think that way, I can figure it out.

do you identify that story? If there are multiple ideas that excite you, how do you figure out the one that you MOST want to write?

My simplistic answer to this is:

Write the story that DEMANDS to be written.

The one you can't stop thinking about.

While knowing the ending is helpful, it's not always necessary.

Sometimes you find that ending as you write.

I have one series that's "incomplete" in so far as there's no final conclusion to the conflict within it. However, in my mind, it's done

I have a similar experience.

Early on I started what turned into a four part series, Discovering Amy.

It's a simple tale of two young people who grew up friends now exploring love and sex together.

It's an amateur story that really could and should have just been one published story. But I was just finding my way back then.

The four chapters all take place the same night, and go through various sexual events.

They never go all the way this first night together. The fourth chapter ends with Amy giving her first blow job.

I promised readers I'd continue.

But I got sidetracked with other stories and later, the more I look back in it, it really ends there.

Oh sure, I could write one more and at least have them fuck.

But it was a First Time tale about their first night exploring together.

And I kinda just wanna leave it at that.

Occasionally I get a reader still asking when I'm going to finish it.

Maybe I will. But I don't feel obligated to. Because the final chapter really would just be "they're in love and lose their virginity together."

I'm really not sure how to make it any more interesting than that.

I feel a little bad about not finishing it sometimes, but it is what it is.

I look back at it as an early effort by a writer who really didn’t know what he was doing other than wanting to write a cute sexy story.

Also, I think it's interesting how many writers I know (myself included), artists, creators...who work in bursts, in periods of intense creativity, and then go into a period of slack, as you say. Then there are those who work consistently, steadily, day after day after day... The creator who is routine and habit based (the type I sometimes wish I was).
I've always felt creativity was more akin to a muscle than most give it credit.

You tap reserves until you need a rest period.
You find steady working out begets more work or at least less complete lethargy. (often the satelite work: learning, reading, research, skills improvement, is as important to keeping in creative flow as transfering sentences from brains to fingers to page)

It's also a mindset thing. If you are *always* inactive, it feels like you will continue to be inactive. (and requires a ton to overcome mental inertia) Whereas, even when you are technically doing very little writing wise, your brain more easily classifies it as merely a recovery period.

Writing is very much about sometimes tricking ourselves into doing the work. Anything making that easier, even what many traditionalist consider ridiculous, is part of the work IMO.

If you’re continuing or rebuilding an old series of connected stories, my advice is to think realistically about how it could be done. Then follow your gut on writing it. For example, I got a lot of great new feedback on my celebrity fantasy stories when I posted them to AO3 recently. So naturally I may want to write new ones someday. But I have to do the following-

1. I have to acknowledge certain important events in history- the hiatus I was on, the COVID pandemic, etc. Because of these things… my fantasy author avatar character went through a marriage and divorce that kept him out of celebrity fantasy arranging for a time. Other real world events like the pandemic were also of impact. Long story short, he was based in London when I last wrote regularly and now he’s relocated to Lake Tahoe.

2. Some characters I can’t use as much anymore. I once wrote extensively about the actress Erika Christensen. These days my inspiration is not as good regarding her. It’s not that she isn’t attractive to me, she is extremely attractive. However, she is also in a great relationship IRL with a man she loves deeply and vice versa by all accounts I’ve heard and believe- he delivered their second child if you didn’t know. That relationship is not something I want to change in any universe, real or fictional. Other people I wrote many stories about have undergone other challenging experiences- Alicia Witt has survived cancer, Katie Holmes got divorced and has rebuilt her career on a smaller stage, Evan Rachel Wood got herself out of an abusive relationship… I can admire these people for overcoming these challenges, but that doesn’t make it easy for me to write any more fanfics about them. Readers on Lit don’t necessarily want to read about such things. Thus- the echoes of these celebrities exist in my fictional universe but I don’t see the need to further explore their characters’ experiences at this time.

3. I need to expand my fictional universe. Hence in my latest story it is revealed that my author avatar has an entity of godlike power assisting him. A character who claims to be a Faerie Alien Hybrid that directs an Illuminati type secret society and can grant wishes like a genie- if the person making the wish can live up to it and the entity thinks the wish is a good idea. And the entity in question can stop time and look at multiple dimensions where the wishes play out a la Dr. Strange in Avengers, so… My latest story reveals this entity is helping my author avatar and has been doing so for a long time. The story also gives my author avatar a lasting relationship with his ultimate fantasy girlfriend. I have ideas for other future stories that further show off their relationship and their pasts while further exploring the mythology of my work. We now know a certain character is a gay man, for example. I’ve featured him before, but not sexually. Maybe I’ll do a Gay Male story with him soon. Relationships are expanded and redefined.

If you’re interested in expanding your stories’ universe, this is IMHO an example of how you should do it.

Last edited:
I've always felt creativity was more akin to a muscle than most give it credit.

Writing is very much about sometimes tricking ourselves into doing the work. Anything making that easier, even what many traditionalist consider ridiculous, is part of the work IMO.
Nicely said. I think the athletics metaphor works well here.

You're in training, you've hit a plateau. Happens to the best. Do you stop moving the body? No, you cross train, you use your muscles on a walk, keeping ears and eyes open. And sometimes the body just needs a day or two to sort itself out, because of overreach or exhaustion.

Just don't make the two day break into a two week break, since the momentum can easily vanish.

I like that you are reading, the next best thing to writing, and there is much to be gained by noticing what works for a good author: how things are described, handled, paced, understood. I have found that tangent work is handy too, if you can tap into something also creative, but on a different angle. I gain a lot by just a leisurely trot in the neighborhood, letting the mind coast and observe.

Good luck.

@ the OP: And from the other side: perhaps you’re doing a fantastic job of prioritizing your real life obligations over this “enjoyable, but really is it that important?” pasttime.

As a master procrastinator, I’m actually happy about writing procrastination. In some small way it means (quite often) I’m procrastinating less with errands around the house, cleaning, working, paying bills, real life stuff.

(Unless something good is on tv.) :cool:

Back