Ready for Opening Night (Closed)

• Thread starter Lustful_Intentions
  • Start date
She spotted him and walked over, smiling as he pulled out her chair. "I feel much better now." She looked at the waitress who had stopped to take her drink order, "oh umm can I get a vodka tonic with lime please?"

She looked across the table at him and smiled, "I was wondering what I was going to eat for the next 3 weeks... No way will I be dining at the hotel.." she laughed shaking her head.

Jack settled back into his chair as Kali placed her order, a feeling of relief coming over him. He knew that most dancers were very careful about what they put in their bodies, some more militant about it than others. It gave him a sense of comfort to know that Kali was not so rigid that she couldn't enjoy a drink with him.

He cradled his glass lightly in his left hand, nodding at her words, giving a laugh. "No, I would hope not. Honestly, I don't think I've been to many hotels that have food that's worth a damn."

Looking around the room for a minute, he avoided her eyes-they were stunning, and he didn't want to start right off like this was a date. Truly, his intentions were to keep her happy and ready to support him at the club. Still-he couldn't deny that, she was stunning, seemingly regardless of her attire. The restaurant was active, but dying down. The din of the dinner crowd was ebbing, and allowed them to maintain relatively normal volume when talking.

He turned his eyes back to her. "Don't worry, I'll be sure to point you to plenty of places worth checking out. The city's actually had quite the revival of good eating over the last 10 years. We'll make sure you get well taken care of." Jack smiled, lifting his glass. "Sorry-that's enough evangelizing about the city. Here, a toast to a great partnership-even if it's a short one."

She laughed and raiser her glass, "to a great partnership." She sipped from her glass and she looked over at him, "Your city isnt all that bad... Aaron had led me to believe I would totally be out of my comfort zone." She laughed, "must not know me as well as he thought."

She found herself enjoying his company, she kept having to remind herself that it wasnt a date.

Jack smirked at her comment about Aaron.

"He's under the impression that it's all fly-over country. Nothing but truck stops and pie eating contests and that kind of stuff. Typical coastal rich kid."

He took a longer pull from his drink, smiling at the server as she came back to take their order, which she did efficiently and politely. They spent the next two hours getting to know each other, giving Jack the opportunity to share a bit more about himself, his upbringing in a different Midwest town strikingly similar to this one, the baseball career cut short in college by an injury, and how that time off his feet led him to learn more about computers and coding, leading to the success that had made his current opportunity possible.

"It's funny sometimes how life works our, you know?" Jack gave a small laugh. "I wouldn't have thought 10 years ago that this is where I'd end up."

Kali smiled, nodding her head as she followed along. She told him about herself as well. She told him about being raised by three brothers and her father in the country. She told him about how it had led her to leave the state for college. She had auditioned for the New York dance academy and had been shocked to get in. She told him about the school she had started in California. "...and thats where I met Aaron.." she shook her head, "it is crazy how life works. Everyonce in a while I wonder what life might have been like had I gone a different route." She looked across the table at him and smiled, "but all in all I am happy right where I am."

Jack took a pull of his drink as she finished her statement. Happy to be where she is? Surely she meant that in regards to her career and the ability to travel, see new places, and live a good life. He didn't blame her one bit-the part of his career he'd enjoyed the most was the flexibility, and the opportunity it gave him to attempt the venture that brought Kali here before him.

Regardless of the true meaning behind her statement, he was enjoying her company. The crowd in the restaurant had dwindled significantly, taking the noise level down greatly. Jack took a peek at his phone. "Shoot, it's after 11PM already." He smiled, "I imagine they are going to kick us out of here pretty soon." Jack was actually a bit disappointed that the end of the evening was near. He was enjoying the conversation, and certainly, as the night had gone on, the pair had gotten more comfortable, sharing their backgrounds and a few laughs along the way.

"Unless, you know, we want to grab a night cap somewhere? I know a quieter place a little further up the block, if you're feeling like you're still awake. I'm guessing it is still California time in your head? If not, I get it, today was a long day, and tomorrow will be, too." Jack knew it wasn't the most confident thing in the world to do, but he felt it right to give her an out.

She had lost all idea of time and when he stated it was 11 she was surprised. "Sure, Im up for it if you are... its going to take me a while to wind down anyway..." they slipped from the booth and headed out. She followed his lead, falling into step with him.

She was really enjoying herself, he was fun and interesting and just easy to be around... and easy on the eyes too if she was being honest with herself.

Jack was pleased that she'd accepted the offer. He wasn't thrilled about the idea of heading home, alone, again.

As quickly as that thought entered his head, Jack chased it away. They were work acquaintances, simply enjoying each other's company for a few moments on a Friday night. Nothing more. He was starting to hate the sound of that refrain pounding in his head, but it was true.

After a short walk, Jack turned them toward an old brick building on a quiet street. He pulled on a heavy oak door, feeling it strain on the hinges, opening it. Standing aside, he motioned. "After you, Kali." He smiled.

Through the door, a dimly lit, quiet lounge awaited them. Soft acoustic music played over the speakers, and the noise level was low, despite the decent crowd. Jack motioned to a small, rounded couch off to the side, under a dimmed orange light. He caught the severs eye, held up two fingers, and led her to the booth.

"They have a great house red here." He said as they settled in. "I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty. You like cabernet?"

She followed him inside, taking a seat next to him on the couch. It was one of those hidden gems that most wouldnt even know was there. She smiled as he asked if she liked cab. "Yes. That sounds great."

They continued to chat, when the wine came she sipped and nodded appriciativly. "You were right.. this is a very good red." She smiled at him.

Jack leaned back into the thick leather upholstery, letting out a long sigh.

"Yes, it is a good one." He smiled at her, feeling just a bit of the effect of the alcohol as they topped off their glasses again. Turning his head back, gazing at the ceiling, he let out a long sigh. His fingers curled around the stem of the glass, swirling the wine gently.

"So, how do you feel about being away from home for three weeks? Is there anyone back there that is going to be a little put out by the fact that you're gone for so long?" He studied her face for a reaction. It was a bit of a personal question to pose to her, and Jack worried that he'd been pushing up past a line a bit by asking it.

Would the careful wording of his query help him out at all here, or would Kali see through the question and think it the kind of thing that gets asked by a potential suitor. Jack wanted to be careful, he was still paying her as a contractor-he could be erring by making this feel like a date.

She laughed softly, he was subtle.. and it made her smile, "I guess I have mixed feelings... being away. I mean, what I am doing is what I love... but never being home for more than a month or so... its hard. Probably why I dont have anyone there waiting for me.. I cant even have a pet.. it wouldnt be fair to it.. so for now... its just me." She smiled at him. "How bout you, opening a nighclub requires some crazy hours, you have someone willing to put up with it?"

Jack nodded, setting the partially full glass down. He could feel the tiredness of a late meal coupled with liquor and wine starting to get to him. The realization made him feel a little silly, like he couldn't keep up with the slightly younger Kali. Either way, he'd be much more embarrassed if he were to doze off right there in the lounge.

"Sure, that makes sense," he offered in response to her statement. To her question he replied, "No, nobody for me, either. Honestly, I've only been here about 8 months, and I've spend most of it working on the club, so, yeah, that's slowed me down quite a bit."

He smiled, his eyes a bit heavy. "But, that's just how life is. I figure it will work out when it's ready to do so. I think that's another conversation for another night, though. I'm too tired to be philosophical. I think it's time to call it a night, don't you? Can I walk you back to the hotel?" Jack was trying hard for this not to sound like a come on-he knew it couldn't be one, but it was hard not to.

Kali smiled and nodded her head. She followed his lead back outside. I was now quite dark. "Its been a long day.. the first of many I am sure." They began walking towards her hotel.

They walked in silence a minute before she looked over at him amd smiled, "I had a good time with you."

Jack took in a deep breath of the cool Midwestern air, enjoying the clear sky. He contemplated Kali's first statement. She was right-the days ahead would likely be even longer than today had been. There was so much work to be done on the club still. His office needed to be completed, decorated, and set up. The locker rooms for the staff and dancers had barely been framed in, even.

He smiled at her last statement, their strides slowing as they reached the front door of the hotel. Jack's mind continued to toe the line-Kali was beautiful, and it seemed she was making her self at least a bit available here. That said, the work arrangement wasn't going to go away if something happened between them.

He looked up at the building, mentally noting that this was Kali's hotel. He nodded towards it. "Well, here we are, safe and sound. I'll see you in the morning?" He was going to give Kali every opportunity to go upstairs and fall asleep alone.

They had reached her hotel. She wasnt sure how it was supposed to play out... would they shake hands and go their seperate ways? Would he come up to her room? She didnt want to push anything too far too fast... but in her head she knew what she idealy wanted to happen.

She smiled at him, "This was a lot of fun. I have to remind myself to get out and have fun sometimes.... so much time is taken working... It was really sweet of you to invite me out with you." She ran her fingers thru her hair

Jack watched her play with her hair, noting that the quirk had come out a few times. The motion left him wondering if it was a nervous quirk, or just a run-of-the-mill habit in which she engaged. He'd become aware of the humming of the streetlights above, making it clear that, while there was certainly activity in other parts of the city, it was eerily quiet on the block.

He returned the smile, noting that she had the same trouble as him when it came to putting work to the side. It simply happened too often, and while it certainly helped his career along, what else had it given him? An empty two bedroom apartment in the city, which might have been fine in his mid-20s, but seemed a bit trite now.

Jack shook himself-he wasn't thinking of Kali in that way, was he? They'd just met. Yes, she was driven, smart-gorgeous to boot, but this was a professional relationship, he reminded himself.

That thought lingering in his head, he stepped closer to her, placing his hand gently on her shoulder, smiling gently at her.

"Of course, Kali-it was my pleasure. I agree, work eats up so much time. It'll be worth it in the end though, I promise. Of course, that's assuming all the girls come back tomorrow," he laughed. "Still, I think we've got some great times coming, but we'll never get to enjoy them if we don't rest. So, I should get going." His hand lingered on her shoulder-he was struggling with what he knew to be the right next step-heading home, alone.

She laughed and nodded her head. "We will do this again, Im sure... andI may take you up on that morning run sometime too."

She paused for only a moment before stepping towards him and giving him a friendly hug. A hug was ok right? It didnt seen too out of line right? Well, too late now. She smiled as she stepped back. "Good night Jack. I will see you later."

With that she turned and went into the hotel

Jack smiled, "The run would be nice. After that dinner we should definitely find time for it."

The hug caught him off guard-not in a bad way, but merely as a surprise. He leaned into it a bit more than he should have, his hand lingering as she stepped back. "Good night" Jack replied, his voice softer than he expected.

He watched her disappear past the thick glass double doors, turned on his heel, and made his way back up the block. Jack was a bit surprised by the degree to which he enjoyed the evening. His face felt flush as he thought about Kali, and what he might encounter as he spent time with her over the next few weeks.

Arriving home, he quietly stripped, gently laying his clothes in the hamper. Jack's sleep that night was fitful, a surprise considering that he'd imbibed in several alcoholic beverages over the course of the evening. The depressive effects of drink aside, his mind was active as he thought about what was to come next.

Kali had to force her brain to turn off as she laid in bed. Normally thoughts of the work ahead were what kept her awake at night, that wasnt the case tonight. Tonight it was thoughts of her evening with Jack.

She let herself sleep a little longer just to continue with the sweet dreams. She woke up with a big stretch and showered. She slipped into yoga pants and a tank top. She headed to the club and used her key to open the door. She pushed the door closed behind her and headed to the platforms.

She stretched, feeling her muscles each becoming more flexible and fluid. As she started the blu tooth speaker she climbed onto a platform. She stayed focused as she heard the construction workers got started, the banging and saws chopping in the background evidence that the club wasnt yet completed. Mario showed up about 2 and laughed, teasing Kali about how she could concentrate with all the noise.

Turning on the house sound for her,Mario watched as Kali showed him what she had so far.

Last edited:
Jack awoke early the next day, setting himself about a quick two mile run while the sun rose in the background. He didn't head in the direction of the club, rather heading towards Kali's hotel, running past the front, hoping against reality that she might be stepping out the front door. He was sure he wouldn't see her-she drove from the parking garage where her rental sat to the club-but he hoped for a break on that front.

After a long, languorous shower, he elected to make his way to the club. The contractors were supposed to be there, laying the plumbing lines for his private bathroom and erecting the basic framing of the office-all on the second floor overlooking the bar and dance floor areas.

Slipping into a pair of loose fitting jeans and fitted grey t-shirt, Jack contemplated what he might find at the club besides the the contractors. Would Kali be there? She was such a committed worker, that it seemed reasonable to think so.

The walk to the club was quick-he realized as he approached the door that a slight sweat had broken on his brow as he had carried a good pace to the establishment. Hefting the door once again, he took a deep breath. He could hear thump of the sound system, Mario clearly having fired it up. Kali was here.

He walked into the main room, spotting Kali going through the routine for Mario. He smiled, waiting for her to wrap the song. Calling out as the song ended, he sought her attention "Outworking the girls who work for you again, are you? Save some for them, will ya?"

She turned and looked over her shoulder laughing. "I cant let them have all the fun!" She hopped down and took a sip of water. "Should have negotiated a different contract and i would be up there myself for your grand opening." She winked at him playfully.

Jack laughed at her comment. She was teasing, being playful, right?

He looked up at the second floor, seeking signs of progress from the contractors. Quickly, he turned his attention back to Kali, running a hand through his dark hair. His green eyes focused on her, a devilish look in his eyes.

"Well, Kali-if staying through to work on opening night is what you want, that can be worked out." Jack smiled at the thought. "I didn't think you wanted to be out front anymore. But, if you want to make the other girls look bad, I think we can find the money."

She laughed and shook her head, "As much fun as a one time appearance would be I would hate for all your customers to be dissapointed when I wasnt here after that one night." She laughed, "So how are things progressing? I mean it certainly sounds like progress... not that I would have any idea."

She set her water down and started to stretch, not wanting to cramp up from not cooling down.

Jack watched as she stretched. He was taken by how lithe and flexible she was-it seemed she moved so effortlessly through even complex motions when she was dancing, but it was watching the angles at which she was able to place her legs in relation to her torso that left him struck for a moment.

It was for that reason that there was a real pause between her question and his response.

"Well, I don't know that I was thinking a one-time appearance, but, you know, I get that you don't really perform anymore. Really, what I need to do is get another girl hired. That's something I'd like to hand off to you."

He turned and peered upward, seeing two men working at the framing of the office, building out what would be the wall and large one-way mirror/window that would allow Jack to see out onto the club space, but not allow anyone to see in.

"Well, I need to check it out, yet, and they've only just started, but I think it's coming along." He turned back to her and smiled-"So, Kali, what's your plan for the rest of the day? Going to give the girls a good work through this afternoon?"

Kali smiled and nodded her head. "I have a few calls to make but i will find you another girl."

She noticed the random pause in his train of thought and it made her glance up at him. Was he checking her out? Nah, she was seeing things.

She glanced up towards what would be his office ashe talked about needing to check it out.

When he asked what her plan for the day was she paused and thought about it, "No real plans. I will take a break here shortly before coming back for practice with the girls... then I was just heading back to the hotel. Aaron told me to check out your competition, but thats what a city away from here?"

Back