Question on poetry submissions from a newbie

DarkOfWrite

Kink-Friendly Poet
Hi all;

I'm very new to the site, and looking for a bit of advice. I write sensual / erotic themed haiku and senryu. I've read the thread about submitting to the forums versus the main site, but since the verse I write is quite short, would it be better to submit to the Forums rather than the main site initially to gauge how they're received, and then submit to the site proper?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the poetry forum! We're happy to have you here and hope you decide to stick around and write with us. 🌹

I've been pondering your question: it's rather a complicated one imo. First off poetry at Literotica is kind of the poor stepchild of the site. We have wonderful sponsors in the site owners, Laurel and Manu, but poetry is far overshadowed by stories. Most people are here for erotic stories, not poems (sexy or not). If you post your poems through regular submissions you're not likely to get much reaction compared to the stories. Some people will respond, especially to erotic submissions but overall poems don't get much attention.

If you post poems here on the forum you'll be dealing with other poets. I think we tend to look more at the quality of the poetry although we certainly appreciate good erotica. And since we're all about the quality size doesn't really matter lol.

You won't get adulation here on the forum but you might get useful feedback. If it were me I'd submit some poems and post some here to see what works best.

Of course all this is just one opinion so maybe others will tell you theirs. 🙂

Thanks very much for the thoughts!

I'm not necessarily looking for adulation, just some honest critique. I don't care if someone doesn't like what I've written as long as they say why. Let me know where I'm going wrong and how to improve.

I'll post a couple here 'n' there over the coming days and see what happens. Thanks again!

Back